PDA

View Full Version : Why the Steelers drafted LB's

Elvis
05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I was just on Steelers.com and looking at their LBing corp and all players look like this

ROLB's
James Harrison
Andre Frasier ( the 2nd stringer you would want?) I didnt think so

RILB
Larry Foote
Lawrence Timmons

LILB
James Farrior
Lawrence Timmons? ( the rest of the prospects will be Rookies)

LOLB
Lamar Woodley
Arnold Harrison (another 2nd string player you want out there?)

These other players were listed at just LB's so where do they fit in?

Keyaron Fox is he more than just a special teamer?
Bruce Davis (R) Will he be ready to play in year one?
Mike Humpal (R) From what I understand he is a MLB
Patrick Bailey (R)
Donovan Woods(R)
Anthony Trucks (2)
* What Ya'll think about this depth?

Galax Steeler
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
To me you can't have enough depth at linebacker it is a hard position to learn so the more the better in my book.

Hammer Of The GODS
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Anybody who bitched about drafting more LBs must of woke up that morning and became a Steeler fan. Anyone who has a clue about football and the Steelers knows that the 3-4 D requires a deep pool of LBs. Don't even get me started on the need to bring in guys before the need arises(injury/FA/retire). The Steeler D is harder to get a handle on then farts in a pool!

Maybe it's just me, but I love the fact that I don't have to worry about my team doing the right things to stay competitive. Steeler fans are lucky that way. Just ask a lions fan!:chuckle:

GO BURGH!

PENS ARE BRINGIN THE BROOM TO PHILY TONIGHT!
BRING ON DETROIT!!!!!!

steelreserve
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
We'll probably always take a linebacker in the draft. If you play a 3-4 defense, you need five or six good LBs at any time. And you usually lose one of your starting LBs every year or two. So you do the math.

paw-n-maul-u
05-15-2008, 04:37 PM
it's my understand that Fox and Humpal are pretty much strictly SP players ... same with Mundy, he'll make a huge impact on ST I feel.

I really am starting to like our ST's next year. If Timmons and A. Smith don't win jobs from Foote or Clark, I see them on ST's again for the beginning of the year, and that isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Bruce Davis should be a monster on ST's as well

Here is what I see right now ...

Harrison's job will eventually be Bruce Davis's

Farrior or Foote's job will eventually be Timmons ( a lot sooner than Davis) ... and Maybe Foote's job will become timmons ... then Farriors job will be open once he is gone (possibly for Foote again?)

I don't like the idea of our youngest LB with starting experience (foote), being released when it is inevitable that Farrior, our oldest LB, will probably be gone in a couple years, where foote still has many good years left.

so let's say for 2011 our LB's will look like this

Davis....Farrior still?/Foote?/Draft Pick (most likely)....Timmons....Woodley .... yeah, I know, 2011, but that is just kind of what I see for the near futureish

JUST LIKE LAMARR WOODLEY .... BRUCE DAVIS SHOULD NEVER HAVE FALLEN TO THE THIRD ROUND (woodley fell to 2nd).

Woodley, converted DE to OLB ... same with Davis ... I'm not completely sure, but I think davis out sacked Woodley his last two years. I think woodley had more tackles behind LOS, but I'm pretty sure Davis outsacked him, and if he didn't, he sure came close. 24 Sacks in two years is MONSTER, not to mention he played like a beast at the senior bowl doing LB drills, something he hadn't played in two years.

so yeah, there it is folks our 2011 LB core, young, fierce, experienced. gonna be nasssssssssssssssttty, man I can't wait for 2011

Mistah_Q
05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
HOnestly it doens't look all that bad right now, but that's in part because we've been drafting guys, and it could get better, and I expect we'll draft an LBer or two next year too. . .

..........................LOLB.................... ...LILB..............................RILB......... ..................ROLB............
..1st...........LaMarr Woodley.....James Farrior......Lawrence Timmons......James Harrison
..2nd..........Bruce Davis............Fox/Humpal..........Foote/A.Harrison.............Andre Frazier....

Fox and Foote should be the "obvious" second stringers but Humpal will get his chances, and if Timmons beats out Foote for the starting gig as expected, Foote and his gigantic salary might be cut loose.

Of course that's for our base 3-4 defense. The 3-4 will remain our base, but we'll see some 4-3 packages, and in those we're looking at something like

.....................SLB....................MLB... ...............................WLB................ ............
1st.......James Farrior......James Harrison.........Lawrence Timmons..........
2nd......Fox/A.Harrison......Foote/Humpal..............Bruce Davis....................

I might be wrong about Davis being an outside linebacker in the 4-3, but I think that's where he really fits the best. Of course in the 4-3 Woodley is a DE, and so is Frazier

I think next year if we spend a high pick on a LBer it's someone who can play inside. . . at least it's what I'd hope for.

Rhee Rhee
05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
To me you can't have enough depth at linebacker it is a hard position to learn so the more the better in my book.

good point. this is even more so in a 3-4 defense...

i wouldn't mind draftin another ILB next year in the 1st round if Foote has a drop off in production or timmons doesn't pan out at all..

with a sub-par season from george selvie i wouldn't mind grabbing him either with our 1st round pick...

Galax Steeler
05-16-2008, 04:38 AM
good point. this is even more so in a 3-4 defense...

i wouldn't mind draftin another ILB next year in the 1st round if Foote has a drop off in production or timmons doesn't pan out at all..

with a sub-par season from george selvie i wouldn't mind grabbing him either with our 1st round pick...

I wouldn't have a problem with drafting another linebacker next year but hopefully timmons will pan out this year.

Steeldude
05-16-2008, 06:28 AM
arnold harrison did a fine job replacing an injured porter a couple of years ago.

can bruce davis tackle? i really don't want to see another gildon/porter. i want to see a LB. players looping around the LT are a dime-a-dozen. i want to see the RBs getting stuffed. tackling is starting to become a lost skill in the NFL.

are people forgetting that a replacement for farrior will be needed soon.? perhaps timmons slides into farrior's spot and j. harrison can take the RILB spot. if davis pans out he can start at ROLB. or it's time to start drafting LBs, not DE conversions. i will always prefer LBs to converted DEs.

IMO, the problem with the steelers is they waited too long to address the LB corps. they made up for the neglect in the 2007 draft. LBs are what makes the steelers defense run. is humpal the answer at ILB? on a different note, do the steelers have a cerebral leader among the LBs? lambert, ham, lloyd had the brains to go along with the brawn.

now it appears the steelers are neglecting the O-line. have they really put much effort in drafting O-linemen as of late? but that's a different position. this thread is about LBs :smile:

DACEB
05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
on a different note, do the steelers have a cerebral leader among the LBs? lambert, ham, lloyd had the brains to go along with the brawn.

That's a great point, and I believe they have in Woodley. We do have that guy in Farrior right now, but I believe Woodley will take that role.

It was posted last year at this time that Woodley is a student of the game. He is known for his preparation and thirst for football knowledge. Hopefully someone in the middle will step up out of the future generation, we could only hope Timmons fits the bill.

Steeldude
05-16-2008, 09:46 AM
That's a great point, and I believe they have in Woodley. We do have that guy in Farrior right now, but I believe Woodley will take that role.

It was posted last year at this time that Woodley is a student of the game. He is known for his preparation and thirst for football knowledge. Hopefully someone in the middle will step up out of the future generation, we could only hope Timmons fits the bill.

it's good to hear woodley has a thirst for football knowledge. it's tiring seeing some of these kids come out of college feeling it's a hassle to learn. it will probably be a couple of seasons before woodley is more vocal and directing the defense.

as for farrior, i agree that he is intelligent, but he doesn't really assert himself as much as he should, IMO.