PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed and Merrill Hoge

tony hipchest
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
heres an impressive little story.

Solomon Wilcots was just talking about a conversation he had with hoge on the golf course. hoge was at the recent rookie symposium (or whatever) and sweed came up to hoge and told him he admired his work and asked anything he should look out for, any advice, or anything he can do to make himself a better player.

hoge told wilcots he's never had such a young player approach him like that.

to me, it shows alot of character, maturity, humility, and willingness to do anything to become the best player possible for the steelers. :noidea:

i am convinced anybody who didnt have sweed as the #1 wr prospect on their board will be proven wrong.

oh, and hes tall.

OneForTheToe
05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
heres an impressive little story.

Solomon Wilcots was just talking about a conversation he had with hoge on the golf course. hoge was at the recent rookie symposium (or whatever) and sweed came up to hoge and told him he admired his work and asked anything he should look out for, any advice, or anything he can do to make himself a better player.

hoge told wilcots he's never had such a young player approach him like that.

to me, it shows alot of character, maturity, humility, and willingness to do anything to become the best player possible for the steelers. :noidea:

i am convinced anybody who didnt have sweed as the #1 wr prospect on their board will be proven wrong.

oh, and hes tall.

Good to here.

And I here he also enjoys a large hunk of cheese from time to time..

tony hipchest
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Good to here.

And I here he also enjoys a large hunk of cheese from time to time..

HA! dont we all...

heres hoping he gets tight with ben then, because we all know he's the one with all the cheddar!

DACEB
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
It looks like we have a rare personality for a WR. From what we have heard so far, this kid seems like a total team player and football junkie. He doesn't seem to possess the prima dona attitude we've all become accustom to in WRs.

Going back to the Woodley thread, or what we've heard of RushHard, it seems like we have some young, tremendous quality, talented football players. The future looks very promising.

FordsnSteelers
05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Limas is going to be one of Bens favorite targets soon. Our receving corps will be one of the best for years to come. And we got Mendenhall!!!!! :tt02:

Galax Steeler
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
That sounds good limas out getting advice sounds like he wants to learn all he can.

Rhee Rhee
05-16-2008, 04:23 PM
im glad that sweed is acting like a mature WR who understands how to carry yourself off the field.

i just can't help but get it off my mind how sometimes he doesnt look happy to be a steeler...

tony hipchest
05-16-2008, 04:37 PM
im glad that sweed is acting like a mature WR who understands how to carry yourself off the field.

i just can't help but get it off my mind how sometimes he doesnt look happy to be a steeler...do you see him around town alot?

i watch quite a bit of espn, and nfl network, and have only seen him about once.

has he made any appearances on leno or letterman? oprah or dr phil? :confused:

what am i missing?

NJarhead
05-16-2008, 05:09 PM
What a steel! I have high hopes and high expectations for this guy.

Dino 6 Rings
05-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Sweed should make a fine addition to our organization. I look forward to his first regular season TD catch.

43Hitman
05-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Sweed should make a fine addition to our organization. I look forward to his first regular season TD catch.

So do I!!

:tt02:

Steel Buckeye
05-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm excited, I think Sweed will do great things for the Steelers. He has been compared to Braylon Edwards and Randy Moss, and will be a big play threat. I still can't believe we ended up with the top receiver in the draft in the second round.

Galax Steeler
05-17-2008, 05:14 AM

Me to and hopefully he will add about 10 more to go with it.:tt02:

Steelers Since '75
05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
It starting to look like Tomlin has an eye for good players and hopefully he has been the one suggesting players in the draft to Colbert. Granted both Woodley and Sweed... and Mendenhall were all gifts that fell in our lap but we seem to be drafting a team with a solid love of the game... maybe that is what the Rooney's saw in Tomlin. :tt02: :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
05-17-2008, 09:07 PM
It starting to look like Tomlin has an eye for good players and hopefully he has been the one suggesting players in the draft to Colbert. Granted both Woodley and Sweed... and Mendenhall were all gifts that fell in our lap but we seem to be drafting a team with a solid love of the game... maybe that is what the Rooney's saw in Tomlin. :tt02: :thumbsup:

Not so fast there - the one pick that was clearly Tomlin's baby was Timmons and the jury is still out on that one

GBMelBlount
05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Not so fast there - the one pick that was clearly Tomlin's baby was Timmons and the jury is still out on that one

I agree. Certainly you can't call him a dud after one year, especially considering the circumstances....hoping for big things this year..

steelwall
05-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Well was any advice given??? Seriously it is good to have that sort of humility, to me it proves you wan't to be a team player.

Tankus_Maximus
05-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a good core of young receivers with Santonio & Sweed....with the guidance of the tough-as-nails Ward to mentor and groom these young studs, built around a franchise QB in Big Ben...the future does indeed look bright, so bright we gotta wear shades....:fro:

warddj86
05-18-2008, 11:08 PM
yet, everyone on espn seems to doubt the steelers because they rely on the run game too much, they say that willie will get worked to death this season

Galax Steeler
05-19-2008, 04:36 AM
yet, everyone on espn seems to doubt the steelers because they rely on the run game too much, they say that willie will get worked to death this season

I don't see how willie is going to get worked to death we drafted mendenhall and he definetly ain't going to be sitting on the bench and I think moore will get his share of carries also.

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-20-2008, 01:18 AM

Think it comes as early as Houston??

vasteeler
05-20-2008, 12:04 PM

it may just be me but i think timmons is going to surprise every one, i think he is going to be very good

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-20-2008, 05:14 PM
He was the best WR in the draft. I was amazed he fell.

Elvis
05-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Think it comes as early as Houston??
:tt02: I hope that his last one for the '08 season in the super bowl as the Steelers upend the Cowboys in the super bowl for the 3 rd time in 4 tries

SUPER BOWL XLIII

Dallas
COWBOYS
-vs-
Pittsburgh
STEELERS

lilyoder6
05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
i would just like to see all of our weps on the field 4 the 1st time and see how the der reacts.. that will be a sight to see in week 1

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
He was the best WR in the draft. I was amazed he fell.

He didnt have the stopwatch speed and missed most of the season to injury. Funny, but last September he was everybody's #1 WR in the draft and because of an injury he falls to us.

Kind of like Heath Miller did.

I remember seeing the story of how Sweed took Roy Williams number 4 after Williams went pro. It wasnt anything profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery, but out of respect and admiration of Williams and his game. Sweed wanted to be as good as Williams and a story like this shows his desire to keep getting better.

BlastFurnace
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
He didnt have the stopwatch speed and missed most of the season to injury. Funny, but last September he was everybody's #1 WR in the draft and because of an injury he falls to us.

Kind of like Heath Miller did.

I remember seeing the story of how Sweed took Roy Williams number 4 after Williams went pro. It wasnt anything profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery, but out of respect and admiration of Williams and his game. Sweed wanted to be as good as Williams and a story like this shows his desire to keep getting better.

I have watched his last two seasons as a Longhorn, and every time I watched them play, I called my buddy who is a huge Texas fan and he always told me....no way does he fall to the mid 20's (where we typically pick). He couldn't believe it when the Cowboys passed on him with their aging receiving corps...and it also P'd him off that he is a Steeler now. Needless to say, when the pick was announced, guess who I called.....my friend...the Longhorn fan.

I have to admit though...he said that we would not like Hills (4th Rounder).

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I have to admit though...he said that we would not like Hills (4th Rounder).

I hope he is wrong on that. At the worst I hope Hills turns into a good RT and not another backup LT like former 3rd rounder Trai Essex.

LayinWoodley56
05-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Me too. He'll forever remember that TD against Houston

Avoid LLoyd1975
05-27-2008, 03:04 PM

i just can't help but get it off my mind how sometimes he doesnt look happy to be a steeler...

What are ou talkin' about? Out here on the left coast I don' catch much of what you might be seeing. Give it some time, he hasn't even signed a contract yet.

Galax Steeler
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I think everyone will like the play of sweed he will be a great adition to the steelers can't wait for the season.

lilyoder6
05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
he should be another good threat in the red zone.. he was very good in texas w/ 2 diff style of qb's in mccoy and young