PDA

View Full Version : Santonio the Best?

FordsnSteelers
05-16-2008, 05:40 PM
With all the talk about Troys workout regimine, it reminded me that just before the end of the season, I heard that Santonio was going to be training with Jerry Rice in the offseason.

Is this true? If so, do you think that Santonio will have a monster year (career)?

I wanna see 1700+ yds w/ 17+ TDs :tt:

Rhee Rhee
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I wanna see 1700+ yds w/ 17+ TDs

highly doubt that just because we brought in mendenhall and sweed who will take oppurtunities and catches away from him..

FordsnSteelers
05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
yea but we now can keep defenses true. Giving Santonio even more room to strech the field. I think Limas/Mendenhall only gives our recievers more opportunity. Defenses are gonna cringe when they try and cover all our weapons.

Sharkissle29
05-16-2008, 06:01 PM
yea but we now can keep defenses true. Giving Santonio even more room to strech the field. I think Limas/Mendenhall only gives our recievers more opportunity. Defenses are gonna cringe when they try and cover all our weapons.

it wouldnt surprise me if we have the #1 offense in the league this coming year

Mosca
05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
He'll be fantastic, but I don't think he'll get enough touches to hit those kind of numbers.

TrueSteelerForLife
05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Santonio is good, but he's never gonna get numbers like that when we have all those other weapons. Besides Heath Miller is still the teams best red-zone target, at least untill we know what Sweed can do

BettisFan
05-16-2008, 07:57 PM
i dont see him any where close to that

Hapa
05-16-2008, 07:59 PM
If he gets 1000 yards that'll be a big deal

FordsnSteelers
05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
i know its a strech (great fantasy stats tho lol) but i really think he has the potiental to be one of the best. I hate seeing wasted talent. But i dont care what his stats are as long as we get the next 6 or so Super Bowls!! :thumbsup:

without cheating like that other team....

hizmi
05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
As most of you have already pointed out, Holmes won't be putting up the huge catches/yards/touchdowns numbers that an elite receiver normally gets, but make no mistake, Holmes is an elite receiver.

He has a good catch %, gets a lot of yards after the catch, and has a very good yards per reception average. That's not to mention his above average blocking (at least in my opinion).

He finished the season ranked 6th among all receivers on a per-play basis, behind only andre johnson, moss, owens, Jennings and anthony gonzalez. He was number 1 or 2 up until he was injured.

Those calling for a break out season have missed the boat....

CantStop85
05-16-2008, 10:57 PM
1700 yards is laughable. Barring injury he'll break 1,000 yards, but with Parker AND Mendenhall, no way the passing game gets that much attention.

No one in the NFL, let alone Holmes, will reach 1700 yards this upcoming season.

fansince'76
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
No one in the NFL, let alone Holmes, will reach 1700 yards this upcoming season.

Not even Randy "The Miracle Worker" Moss? Blasphemy! :jawdrop:

:chuckle:

CantStop85
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Not even Randy "The Miracle Worker" Moss? Blasphemy! :jawdrop:

:chuckle:

Not even the savior himself. :chuckle:

FordsnSteelers
05-16-2008, 11:05 PM
i know he wont reach those mythical numbers. i just said thats what i want to see. Ill admit im a little biased towards him and i wanna see him get those individual acolaydes. Only if we win though. it means noithing if we dont win.

fansince'76
05-16-2008, 11:08 PM
i know he wont reach those mythical numbers. i just said thats what i want to see. Ill admit im a little biased towards him and i wanna see him get those individual acolaydes. Only if we win though. it means noithing if we dont win.

If we air it out enough for Holmes to hit 1,700 yards receiving (which I don't see him getting anywhere close to), I have a feeling it'll be because we're behind a lot.

Preacher
05-16-2008, 11:24 PM
If we air it out enough for Holmes to hit 1,700 yards receiving (which I don't see him getting anywhere close to), I have a feeling it'll be because we're behind a lot.

True.

But isn't nice to know that we can come from behind and win games now?

WizDom-N.KnowLedge
05-17-2008, 02:03 AM
I think that even with all the weapons wae now have, Holmes is capable of putting up 1200 yards and 8 TDs. We are going to be a very diversed offense with the possibilty to put up big numbers.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-17-2008, 02:33 AM
FUNNY.

The pendulum swings and swings. And I'm ashamed that I threw this cat under the bus after the pre-rookie "problems." But he made himself a target.

NOW. Hines is irreplacable. But Holmes is by far our most innovative option in the passing game LAST year. God has blessed us with Hines. And it will pay beyond his contract.

But Sly Cat? He is just getting started.

Galax Steeler
05-17-2008, 04:20 AM
I could see holmes getting about 1000 or 1100 yards realisticly and about 8 touchdowns this is the year we are going to shine.

Elvis
05-17-2008, 07:32 AM
I think that Holmes has learned enough to say that he is looking for a big season this coming season. And it wont be long that the steelers are gonna have to start working on a new contract.
What would everyone think about 2 1,000 yard receivers?
Ward and Holmes and Sweed
I really dont see it happening with Mendenall and Parker getting alot of carries this season I hope, but if the running game isnt working as well as we think it will, it will be nice to have some weapens at WR to help the passing game..

FordsnSteelers
05-17-2008, 07:38 AM
aw man that would be great. If our offense is diverse enough, we can have two 1,000 yd players while at the same time having parker and mendenhall put up big numbers.

19ward86
05-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I truly think he is a top 5 reciever when it comes to modern day wideout, hines ward is the best Flanker maybe of all time.

millwalldavey
05-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Too many hands for those kinds of numbers this year (barring injuries). Just the way it should be!

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-17-2008, 11:34 AM
We have too much talent for him to come close to that. In fact, no one in the league will do that. I believe he will get around 1100 yards and around 8 or 9 tds. Make no mistake, this will be one of the best offenses.

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-17-2008, 01:04 PM
I truly think he is a top 5 reciever when it comes to modern day wideout, hines ward is the best Flanker maybe of all time.

I can't think of any other wideout period I'd want to be throwing to on a 3rd and 6 in the NFL right now. Toss up between Welker and Ward, but Ward has been doing this his whole career.

Certainly wouldn't want someone like TO who drops over the middle and refuses to take the hard hits.

HometownGal
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd really like to see how the OL is going to pan out before I make bold predictions on Santo's upcoming season.

That being said, however, I think he is most capable of a 1,100 yard season with 8-9 TDs thrown in. :tt03:

Boomerang
05-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Santonio will finish in the top 4 WR,s after this season.

Steelman16
05-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I really love what I see from Santo, but I'll call 850 yrds and 7 TD's for him this year. But am definitely not leaving out the possibility of a 1kYRD/10TD effort.

Still, training with Jerry Rice can't hurt. :wink02:

ChronoCross
05-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Holmes can only get better as far as I am concern. And by holmes learning from ward and anyone else he tries to hook up with only makes him better in the long run for us. Holmes after the yard catch this last season was just awsome. Not to mention his work ethics get better as each season comes because of hangin with ward.

steelwall
05-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Holmes can only get better as far as I am concern. And by holmes learning from ward and anyone else he tries to hook up with only makes him better in the long run for us. Holmes after the yard catch this last season was just awsome. Not to mention his work ethics get better as each season comes because of hangin with ward.

I won't make any predictions other than Santonio should have at least 800 yards this season.

But..... I agree here....is'nt it great to have a veteran, team player, and all around good guy like Ward on our team to help our younger recievers see how the WR position should be played???

moedap
05-18-2008, 07:11 AM
If Jerry Rice teaches him how to take 5 yard slants and turn them into 80 yard TD romps(The reason Rice has all those yards) Santonio just might make it to 1700 yards.

Galax Steeler
05-18-2008, 07:15 AM
If Jerry Rice teaches him how to take 5 yard slants and turn them into 80 yard TD romps(The reason Rice has all those yards) Santonio just might make it to 1700 yards.

:sofunny::sofunny:

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM
is it just me or has no one answered whether or not jerry took him under his wing this offseason??

the speculations great and all, but knowing if he's getting pointers for the best there was is a lil tastier of a dish for my database ;)

ChronoCross
05-20-2008, 01:40 AM
is it just me or has no one answered whether or not jerry took him under his wing this offseason??

the speculations great and all, but knowing if he's getting pointers for the best there was is a lil tastier of a dish for my database ;)

I have found nothing on this being true myself of holmes and rice working out together. It would be nice but when the guy started this thread he did not even no. But everyone knows holmes is a big rice fan so maybe its just chatter.

vasteeler
05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd really like to see how the OL is going to pan out before I make bold predictions on Santo's upcoming season.

That being said, however, I think he is most capable of a 1,100 yard season with 8-9 TDs thrown in. :tt03:

i have to agree with you on this one. I keep hearing about how our line wasnt really that bad last year. I just hope the coaches know what they are talking about. We have really only added a center.IMO we needed more than that.

rich4eagle
05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Holmes can play and play big............and Sweed is just what the doctor ordered

CanadianSteel
05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Santonio has great hands and cathches pretty much everything thrown his way as he catches with his hands and not his body.
He is learning blocking tips from the best in Hines, and if he stays injury free can become the number 1 option in this offence if the line can be a bit better next year.
Last year I noticed several times where it appeared (can't confirm watching on tv) that Holmes had broken deep and just as Ben was recognizing this he would be under huge pressure and not be able to unload the ball.
Heres to 1100 yards and 9 TD's in 2008......

revefsreleets
05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Whether he trains with Rice or not, the third year is typically the break-out year, and I expect Santo to have a huge season. My guess is that he'll be set loose because with Limas and Hines running around, and the respect for our running game teams will be forced to show, he's going to be single covered all year. I like those odds...

Texasteel
05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I wonder if we will ever see a set with Ward, Holmes, Sweed, and Baker. Just thinking.

revefsreleets
05-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I wonder if we will ever see a set with Ward, Holmes, Sweed, and Baker. Just thinking.

Well, I don't think it's crazy at all to almost expect that. Who else is there? Washington? We go 4 wides, there's an 80% it's just as you named it...unless we line up Heath Miller as a wideout.

Ward, Sweed, Miller and Baker? Those DB's better be running around on stilts:tt:

lilyoder6
05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
well i know rice helped desean jackson in the offseason to help is receiving skills... but rice is a 1 of a kind of player and no matter what he teaches them no one will be as good as he was

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Whether he trains with Rice or not, the third year is typically the break-out year, and I expect Santo to have a huge season. My guess is that he'll be set loose because with Limas and Hines running around, and the respect for our running game teams will be forced to show, he's going to be single covered all year. I like those odds...

How does one not get excited about those options!!! Damn Maddens going to be fun this year! MUAHAHAHA

Davison_K
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM
How does one not get excited about those options!!! Damn Maddens going to be fun this year! MUAHAHAHA

I know I can't wait. I think I am almost as excited for Madden as I am for the actual season to start. :toofunny: