PDA

View Full Version : Feelings on Bandwagoners?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm rather curious about what you guys feel about the recent surge I've seen of clueless fans.

I'm in Browns country and there has been all these people sporting Steelers gear, which I don't recall seeing a few years ago when we came back. Not all of them, but a lot of them are clueless about just the basic rules and such of football. (Two quick stories a couple of my friends who are Browns fans convinced a kid that LeBron James played for them and another one said that Hines Ward played Defensive back) , and just decided to jump ship "Cuz the Browns suck[ed]", which is a bit insulting, especially when they just have a jersey pretty much as a fashion statement.

Now, I'd never diss any of the hard core steeler fans, anyone who would stick through thick and thin with a team no matter how good or bad (Ex: Anyone who stayed in the stands for you guys for the whole game, opening day in '89 should've gotten an XL Super Bowl ring from the team :applaudit:) , It's us that makes the rivalry great IMHO. But I'm just curious, what are your guys opinions on fans (not just Steelers, I'm sure there is patsie, Bungals, and even Browns fans that are like this, believe it or not)[ that give up on a team and switch like this?

MACH1
05-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Bettisfan your up!!! :chuckle:

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Bettisfan your up!!! :chuckle:

Buuuurn :hatsoff:

Steel Buckeye
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I live in Columbus, OH. It's the biggest major city next to L.A. without an NFL franchise. Jumping on NFL bandwagons is just what people do here. Steelers fans have a joke here, "what do you call a Bengals fan after a losing season? A Browns fan."

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I live in Columbus, OH. It's the biggest major city next to L.A. without an NFL franchise. Jumping on NFL bandwagons is just part of the culture here.

Go Buckeyes! ;)

Can't really blame you there, Heck, I was very very skeptical of Brady Quinn being described as a Browns fan just because he lived in Ohio as ESPN was saying, until I saw him in the Bernie Kosar jersey and..then I changed my mind..but thats another story.

Of course..If someones from Y-Town, I'm a little more sympathetic as well, as thats like..Half way between both cities.

MACH1
05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Every teams going to have bandwagoners, but as I've always been told a true fan sticks with their team through thick and thin. As a steeler fan I've been there for the cliff stoudt, bubby brister and so on and I'm still here.

Especially don't switch teams just because you moved to a different state. :doh:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Every teams going to have bandwagoners, but as I've always been told a true fan sticks with their team through thick and thin. As a steeler fan I've been there for the cliff stoudt, bubby brister and so on and I'm still here.

Can definetly relate.

Try having Charlie Frye and Jeff Garcia as starters. :doh:

fansince'76
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Can definetly relate.

Try having Charlie Frye and Jeff Garcia as starters. :doh:

Or getting your team ripped away from you entirely - Modell is scum.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Or getting your team ripped away from you entirely - Modell is scum.

:applaudit:

He's more than that.

* Fired the single most prolific coach in football history, Paul Brown, for refusing to play a man dying from lukemia only two years into his ownership of the team.
o If it was about the trade, who the hell was Modell to question it? Brown was a 6% team owner, too.
o If it was about not playing Davis, well he died a year after being diagnosed and Modell is a bastard.
* Drove arguably the greatest running back of all time, Jim Brown, out of town and into retirement at only 29 years of age
o Because he wanted to come late to training camp. Great trade off, Art.
* World's largest hypocrite
o Brooklyn Dodger fan who "felt saddened and betrayed" when the team left in 1958
o Criticized the Raiders move to LA in 1982
o Criticized Robert Irsay for moving the Colts in 1984
o Lied to a city and stole its team in 1996
* Incredibly, claims he was "losing money" owning a NFL franchise in the 1990s in a city with the most loyal fan base in the NFL [1]
o VOLUNTARILY PASSED on the Gateway project and then cited his lack of a new stadium as a reason for the move.
* Moved during the day not in the middle of the night which eliminates any possibility of it being betrayal
* Initially wanted to steal the team history, too, until fans and public pressure from both Cleveland AND Baltimore convinced him to leave it.
* Hasn't visited Cleveland since 1996 and won't until after he dies if he knows what's good for him
* Will never, ever make it into the Hall of Fame because the drive from Cleveland to Canton is short enough that there's still plenty of gas left in the tank to torch the entire profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering building
o Seriously, no way in hell
* When asked why he didn't just sell the franchise, claimed he wanted to leave it to his family
o Then sold the franchise years later in Baltimore, to someone not in his family
From SAS Wiki.

A fellow Browns fan once said "It's Amazing that the Browns were even able to win WITH modell". Thanks to all of you who supported us back in '95 BTW.

Preacher
05-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't mind fans who start to admire a team because of how they handle themselves.

For instance, I really didn't care for the Bills. Then, after Everett and how the team dealt with it... and how they played their heart out against a few teams... I admired them and followed them a little bit.

If, during that time... I found out the Steelers cheated (cough cough pats cough), well, I may have followed the BIlls a bit more closely.

Fan though, that drop a team because they are losing... and simply claims another team as their favorite...

well... the bandwagon gets a little tight at times.

HughC
05-17-2008, 02:24 AM
I can understand fans not being as excited about their favorite team - whether it be the 'local' team or another team they have followed - when the team goes through a losing stretch. It doesn't make sense to be vocal about how great your team is when they're 5-11. But if you root for three or more different teams between puberty and retirement, then you are a bandwagonner that could care less about the team and are just trying to associate yourself with a winner.

In doing so, you prove that you not only are not a winner, but you are a certified loser.

Galax Steeler
05-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Look at all the bandwagon fans the cheatriots had last year when they started winning they came out of the closet like bees on honey.

Elvis
05-17-2008, 06:14 AM
:noidea: I just know that I have been a Steelers Bandwagon Rider so long now, I dont think there is any chance at all that I will change wagons..

Texasteel
05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Look at all the bandwagon fans the cheatriots had last year when they started winning they came out of the closet like bees on honey.

Your talking about Goodell, right. :mad:

Aussie_steeler
05-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I personally think that the concept of "Bandwagoner" is a very definite trait of Generation Y ( born 1980 -2001). This age group makes up a significant proportion of the online population and of the population who purchase sporting apparel. Thats why we see so many of them.

Some characteristics of Gen Y
•Pursue personal satisfaction
• More entrepreneurial savvy and less concerned with permanence
• Not as influenced by authority and role models
• Peer group is important – learning how to operate in a group, connected to friends

Loyalty is a foreign concept to this generation so they are going to change allegiances to whoever or whatever makes them feel good. As a teacher I am getting acustomed to the traits of Gen Y and you just cant fight it.

What I cant stand are the spineless individuals who are too old to belong to Gen Y and should truly understand the concept of loyalty. The ones who followed the 49ers, then then the cowboys, then the patriots are probably now giant fans. They are the ones who stir me up.

Give me a lifelong Cardinals or Browns fan anyday over a bandwagoner.

Just remember that being a true fan is like being married, "for better for worse till death do you part"

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I personally think that the concept of "Bandwagoner" is a very definite trait of Generation Y ( born 1980 -2001). This age group makes up a significant proportion of the online population and of the population who purchase sporting apparel. Thats why we see so many of them.

Loyalty is a foreign concept to this generation so they are going to change allegiances to whoever or whatever makes them feel good. As a teacher I am getting acustomed to the traits of Gen Y and you just cant fight it.

What I cant stand are the spineless individuals who are too old to belong to Gen Y and should truly understand the concept of loyalty. The ones who followed the 49ers, then then the cowboys, then the patriots are probably now giant fans. They are the ones who stir me up.

Give me a lifelong Cardinals or Browns fan anyday over a bandwagoner.

Just remember that being a true fan is like being married, "for better for worse till death do you part"

I have noticed another characteristic common to that same generation. They all seem to have a false sense of self-worth, with all the confidence in the world but with little substance behind it.

They back this confidence with "window dressing"...and supporting the "newest-best thing" makes them feel like winners.

No investment...no loyalty...just riding the coat tails of fad-dom in order to look cool.

pathetic...but the patriots* need fans also...I guess.:noidea:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I cant stand a bandwagoner. They normally know little or nothing about the team they are following, and then ditch the team after a few bumps in the road. I cannot respect that one bit.

Living in Cleveland, I have seen the loyalty of Browns fans, and I respect them (though for the most part, I do not like them).

They lived through Couch-Holcombe-Garcia-Frye-Anderson (and other countless starting QB's who have spot-started over the years)...the worst I have lived through was Kodell Stewert and Tommy Maddox's 6-10 season (seeing how I am only 22 years old, I really don't remember anything before the 1995 season).

Mosca
05-17-2008, 08:22 AM
It's pretty simple. EVERY fan is a noob at one time or another, whether it's when you're 3, or when you're 54. So just being a noob and not knowing anything, that's time to laugh, but it's not a time for derision.

You aren't defined as a "bandwagoner" when you join; you're defined as a "bandwagoner" when you jump ship after a tough season.

So, a fan can be a bandwagoner to you when they jump from the Browns, but that fan won't be a bandwagoner to us until (if) he jumps from the Steelers.

It is a truly sorry sight, though, to see a guy wearing the Niners gear in the 80s, the Cowboys in the 90s, the Pats in the 00s.... some people have no pride, no dignity. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a fan wearing his Niners jacket in 2008. I know I've found a kindred spirit.

rbryan
05-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I live in Columbus, OH. It's the biggest major city next to L.A. without an NFL franchise. Jumping on NFL bandwagons is just what people do here. Steelers fans have a joke here, "what do you call a Bengals fan after a losing season? A Browns fan."

I heard the NFL was considering bringing the Buckeyes in as an expansion team but they can't bring down thier current payroll anywhere near the salary cap.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2008, 08:50 AM
You aren't defined as a "bandwagoner" when you join; you're defined as a "bandwagoner" when you jump ship after a tough season.

Gotta disagree...I know people who have NEVER had a real team that they have pledged loyalty to..every year they cheer for who is on top....THAT is the worst kind of bandwagon jumper.

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
I heard the NFL was considering bringing the Buckeyes in as an expansion team but they can't bring down thier current payroll anywhere near the salary cap.

Was USC considered as part of the same expansion? :applaudit:

HometownGal
05-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I can't stomach bandwagon fans. The Steelers have their fair share of them, as do the Pirates and Pens. Everyone in Pittsburgh right now is a Pens fan because of their success in the playoffs. XT will tell you - we've shared season tix for several years now and before the second half of last season, the loveable old barn was half empty most weeknights. On KDKA last week, they interviewed at least a dozen fans and asked them to name 5 Pittsburgh Penguins in 10 seconds or less and not a one of them could do it. Again - my slipper hit its target - several times. :chuckle:

I've always believed that if you alliege yourself to a team, you stick with 'em through the good times and the bad. Every sports franchise out there has suffered through lean years but when all is said and done, if you love 'em , you don't leave 'em when times are tough. :thumbsup::tt03:

revefsreleets
05-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I always get a chuckle when Browns fans are actually proud of, and display prominently, that little sprite or gnome or elf of dubious and questionable sexual orientation.

CantStop85
05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.brownshistory.com/photo/BROWNIE.jpg

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I always get a chuckle when Browns fans are actually proud of, and display prominently, that little sprite or gnome or elf of dubious and questionable sexual orientation.

What?! I thought this was a Picture of Phil Savage!.

HughC
05-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I enjoy letting them twist in the wind. Ask them something like "when did you guys switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4?" or "who's that big guy on your o-line that had the big game last week?" and just let them squirm. Give them enough rope to hang themselves with.

steelwall
05-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I've been a Steelers fan since 8 years old (31 now) ever since my father bought me a Steelers uniform. Don't know why he did it, because at the time he was a Broncos fan (however my dad has never been into football as much as I have), I think he must have probably picked it up at a yard sale or something but was complete with pads and helmet. I was so stoked I put on the gear and ran into anything I could. Needless to say from then on out I was a die hard fan, and would NEVER change.

However my older brother somehow managed to be a cowboys fan... odd to think about how we allways managed to go in different directions, being from N.C. he is a UNC fan I am a Duke fan..

But, I've digressed.. my brother quickly changed allegances from cowboys to the Panthers when NC got our NFL team. I never understood how he could do that, and like wise he can't understand why I have no love for the Panthers.

IMO once you have followed a team for decades, seen the ups and downs, cheered wildly at times and bowing your head in shame at others, jumping ship is just something I can't fathom.

Galax Steeler
05-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Gotta disagree...I know people who have NEVER had a real team that they have pledged loyalty to..every year they cheer for who is on top....THAT is the worst kind of bandwagon jumper.

I have one of those guys at work he never pulls for the same team year after year like last year he started pulling for the cheatriots cause they were doing good.

Texasteel
05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
I guess you could call me a bandwaggoner. I got on in 73 just before they started winning SBs, but at least I never got off.

GBMelBlount
05-18-2008, 07:32 AM
steelwall
I think he must have probably picked it up at a yard sale or something but was complete with pads and helmet. I was so stoked I put on the gear and ran into anything I could.

been there. :chuckle:

However my older brother somehow managed to be a cowboys fan...
Recovering Cowboy fan in fact. Growing up in CT. (formative years you know) my uncle Don from Dallas made sure a was properly outfitted in all of the most up to date cowboys garb. You know....hats, sweatshirts, and yes,.....even the Dallas Cowboy flame-retardent pajamas. Life was good and so were the Cowboys in the 70's. Anyway, I came out to college in western, PA. Loved the area and the people and have pretty much been here ever since. I had been harassed by Steeler friends for over 20 years. I even had a bunch of friends over for the Steeler-Cowboy Superbowl as I was the only one with a big screen at that point...... I was the only Cowboy fan in attendance as well. :chuckle:

Anywho, being in Pittsburgh for 20+ years, what is there not to love and respect about the Steelers? Being married to a Steeler fanatic helped too. :wink02:

IMO once you have followed a team for decades, seen the ups and downs, cheered wildly at times and bowing your head in shame at others, jumping ship is just something I can't fathom.

I know. I know. But as they say, you have to walk a mile in a Cowboy fans shoes.....besides, it was uncle Don's fault. Why couldn't I have had an uncle from Pittsburgh? :noidea:

GO STEELERS!!!!! :tt02:

stillers4me
05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
I live in Cinci........'nuff said!

Most of the people that wear their Bungles jersies to work on Fridays know zip about football. You can't have an intelligent conversation about football with them, they just wear their jerseys because it's cool and know how to say "I hate the Steelers." By December there's only 1 or 2 people that even bother to wear their colors. By then, they've either become Colts or Pats* fans.

I have to admit that I didn't follow football closely for a number of years. After my divorce, raising my son alone, and working full time didn't leave alot of time to focus on hobbies. But if someone asked me who my favorite team was, I didn't even thinkin twice before proudly saying the Steelers! My ex boyfriend was a Dolphins fan and he watched football at my house. I always stopped to watched my beloved black and gold.

After my husband and I got married and my son grew up and left home, the Steelers drafted an young man named Ben. Sundays became football days again at my house and my own husband jumped on the black and gold bandwagon and now the Steelers schedule rules our life from August to mid winter. I've warned him that that jersey is a lifetime commitment.......more serious than marriage and part of the package, buddy! Both our cars have custom license plates that are Steelers related and he loves agitating any Bengals fans he can find! (his a best friend is a Bengals fan and another one is Ravens fan........ good times had by all!)

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 09:42 AM
.... but at least I never got off.

....must ...resist.....the ....urge........:sweating:

GBMelBlount
05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Why do I fear a thread hijacking here?

steelwall
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Recovering Cowboy fan in fact. Growing up in CT. (formative years you know) my uncle Don from Dallas made sure a was properly outfitted in all of the most up to date cowboys garb. You know....hats, sweatshirts, and yes,.....even the Dallas Cowboy flame-retardent pajamas.

I know. I know. But as they say, you have to walk a mile in a Cowboy fans shoes.....besides, it was uncle Don's fault. Why couldn't I have had an uncle from Pittsburgh? :noidea:

GO STEELERS!!!!! :tt02:

Well it would be hard not to be a Cowboys fan with that sort of influence, but seems to me you changed for all the right reasons.

I guess my definition of a bandwagoner would be someone who knows little about football, and it's teams city or players, justs jumps from team to team depending on who's winning.

CantStop85
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
I live in Cinci........'nuff said!

Most of the people that wear their Bungles jersies to work on Fridays know zip about football. You can't have an intelligent conversation about football with them, they just wear their jerseys because it's cool and know how to say "I hate the Steelers." By December there's only 1 or 2 people that even bother to wear their colors. By then, they've either become Colts or Pats* fans.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_yyp9wCA0zwA/RtnOV6qTOJI/AAAAAAAAAUI/mZKBAuhTrV8/s320/lolwut%5B1%5D.jpg

stillers4me
05-18-2008, 11:53 AM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_yyp9wCA0zwA/RtnOV6qTOJI/AAAAAAAAAUI/mZKBAuhTrV8/s320/lolwut%5B1%5D.jpg

You're an exception, CS85! But we'd welcome you to dark side when you're ready to switch! :flap:

Texasteel
05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
....must ...resist.....the ....urge........:sweating:

Darn LLT, Your as bad as I am. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Texasteel
05-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Recovering Cowboy fan in fact. Growing up in CT. (formative years you know) my uncle Don from Dallas made sure a was properly outfitted in all of the most up to date cowboys garb. You know....hats, sweatshirts, and yes,.....even the Dallas Cowboy flame-retardent pajamas. GO STEELERS!!!!! :tt02:

If you feel the urge to backslide, please call, we can beat this thing.

Remember cowboy fandom is not an alternative life style, it is a sin.

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Bandwagon fans piss me off. And HTG is spot-on about the sudden increase in Pens "fans" in this town now that they're a win away from the SCF. You see jerseys, t-shirts, jackets and hats all over the city now, when 2 years ago the only time you saw them was when you went to a Pens game in a half-empty arena. It makes me sick, quite frankly, and I just want to walk up to them and rip their shirts off their backs. It's no different for me in regards to the Steelers and Pirates.

Rhee Rhee
05-18-2008, 05:28 PM
bandwagoners = gum at the bottom of your shoe...

irritating at first, but once you get them off its all good.

steelergirl07
05-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Try living in Seahawks country. I mean there's a lot I could learn still, but I look like a football whiz around here.

One thing I have to say though, when Seattle sucks, they don't jump off the bandwagon. They just blame it on the other team.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Alot of so called Bandwagon fans are really just die hard College football fans that are following the NFL careers of their favorite NCAA players.

examples: I live in Arkansas. Three years ago there sure were a lot of Jacksonville Jaquars fans in the area. Not because of the team, but because of Matt Jones, the QB turned Wide out. Arkansas doesn't have a pro-team, but now that Felix Jones has gone to Dallas, their are a ton of new Cowboys fans in the area. As well as McFadden, his Raiders Jersey is already selling out in local stores. Are these people Raiders fans? Nope, but they are going to root for their man D-Mac.

Same could have happened in Ohio, with Ben coming from the area, playing College ball in the state, some people may be cheering for their home town kid. It happens. There will be some USC Fans in Springdale Arkansas this season with two kids from the highschool team now playing for the Trojans. So you can see simple things like following the entire career of a kid can lead to new fans for Pro Teams.

That and the fact the STEELERS ROCK!!! So who wouldn't want to be a fan!!!!

Oh, and try to find a Patriots bandwagon fan now, they jumped ship at 10pm after the SB Loss.

steelreserve
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM

So, a fan can be a bandwagoner to you when they jump from the Browns, but that fan won't be a bandwagoner to us until (if) he jumps from the Steelers.

It is a truly sorry sight, though, to see a guy wearing the Niners gear in the 80s, the Cowboys in the 90s, the Pats in the 00s.... some people have no pride, no dignity. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a fan wearing his Niners jacket in 2008. I know I've found a kindred spirit.

I don't think you're a "bandwagoner" if you stop being excited about your team. You have to leave your team and THEN start rooting for another one.

I've been a Niners fan since I was a kid, but you won't find me going to any of their games or buying their crap these days. It's AWFUL football, and pretty unbearable to watch. When you know the next possession (and just about every possession) is going to consist of two badly incomplete passes, a holding penalty and a sack, there's just not much to get excited about or be proud of.

Now, that's not going to make me start rooting for the Colts or anything, but you kind of have to be realistic. When a team is losing that badly, it takes most of the fun out of the game. And fun should be the reason why you get into it in the first place. I really can't blame anyone if they don't get fired up about their team, when it's obvious before the season starts that they'll be lucky to go 4-12.

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Bandwagoners are people without a commitment. To me it's almost like a marriage, you know - for better or for worse. Really to pump your fist in the air when they've won it all only to turn around and by a different jersey or hat or some other paraphinalia of a different team because the last team is no longer in first place is completely moronic (imho).

I love talking to these fans, especially when you've got photos of them in one team color one year and then, just like magic, something new the following year. They have no idea about personnel, coaches, games, etc.

Personally, I can't stand bandwagoners. They can talk a good talk but their walk is more of a crawl!!

steelreserve
05-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Bandwagoners are people without a commitment. To me it's almost like a marriage, you know - for better or for worse. Really to pump your fist in the air when they've won it all only to turn around and by a different jersey or hat or some other paraphinalia of a different team because the last team is no longer in first place is completely moronic (imho).

That's the part I can't stand. I've been around losing teams long enough to understand why you'll take a break from them, and sometimes that's completely justified. It's the turning around and rooting for someone else -- just because you "have" to root for someone -- that makes you a retard.

Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean you can't ever root for anyone else (like rooting for the underdog, or a player, or the Giants in the last Super Bowl). But to actually say you're changing your long-term allegiance to some random team -- yeah, that's lame.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm a bandwagon hater...if the team I hate is playing a team I don't hate so much, I jump on the bandwagon of the team I hate less for that one game.

Not going to lie, I pulled for the Giants over the Pats in the SB.

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm a bandwagon hater...if the team I hate is playing a team I don't hate so much, I jump on the bandwagon of the team I hate less for that one game.

Not going to lie, I pulled for the Giants over the Pats in the SB.

I was rooting for the Giants in the SB too, but I'm not a Giants fan.

Right after the game was over, I was happy for the Giants and pissed that the Steelers weren't there to win a 6th one.

silver & black
05-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Raiders fan here...for 40 years. Guess how I feel about it.

Murabma
05-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Ain't that the truth. They easily have more 'wagoneers than any team in the League. The franchise had 19,000 season ticket holders in 1992 in one of the largest cities in America. Go figure. Some Bills fans last season had great stories about Pats fans coming to town for the Bills-Pats game and just how ridiculously cluesless they were about their own team, including (a) several not realizing that the Pats had lost two SBs before they'd ever won one, (b) none (literally none out of 30 asked at a bar one night) who could name their starting QB in the Bears SB (and of them, only about 30% said Grogan--the answer was Tony Eason, BTW) and (c) just general cluelessness about anything before 2001. Funny as h-e-double hockey sticks......

silver & black
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Ain't that the truth. They easily have more 'wagoneers than any team in the League. The franchise had 19,000 season ticket holders in 1992 in one of the largest cities in America. Go figure. Some Bills fans last season had great stories about Pats fans coming to town for the Bills-Pats game and just how ridiculously cluesless they were about their own team, including (a) several not realizing that the Pats had lost two SBs before they'd ever won one, (b) none (literally none out of 30 asked at a bar one night) who could name their starting QB in the Bears SB (and of them, only about 30% said Grogan--the answer was Tony Eason, BTW) and (c) just general cluelessness about anything before 2001. Funny as h-e-double hockey sticks......

Probably, but I bet the Chargers are a close second.I can't believe how many Chargers fans there are these days. Amazing what a few winning seasons, after a lifetime of suckage, brings out.

Big7BenHOF
05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I live in California, and I've recently been seeing a lot of people sporting Patriots gear.

>_>

steelreserve
05-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Probably, but I bet the Chargers are a close second.I can't believe how many Chargers fans there are these days. Amazing what a few winning seasons, after a lifetime of suckage, brings out.

Well, in the Chargers' case, at least they're not a bunch of jerks, so that makes it a little easier to stomach.

But yeah, it is kind of curious how many people suddenly like them. I've got a friend in L.A. who suddenly became a Chargers fan, but I consider him kind of an exception to the "bandwagon" thing ... he's probably just rooting for them because they're the only football team he can actually go and see. He does actually make the 2-hour drive to go to a couple games a year. Plus he was originally from Portland, where there's not really a "home team" to grow up with.

I don't really know what to think of the Chargers. I've got nothing against them, and at least they're from the same state. They're probably my favorite team to cheer for whenever someone like the Cowboys or the Patriots need an ass-whooping.

Crushzilla
05-26-2008, 03:08 PM
:coffee:

I'm staying out of this convo.

But!

here is a great article I saw posted somewhere else a while back.

According to the original poster its a few years old, but I think that EVERYONE could take a lesson from it.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227

steelpinstripe72
05-26-2008, 03:48 PM
From the link in Crushzilla's post:

13. You can follow specific players from other teams, but only as long as they aren't facing your team. For instance, it's fine to enjoy the Brett Favre Experience if you're a Jaguars fan ... just don't get carried away and start making a scrapbook, collecting all his football cards and so on. That's a little sketchy. And you can't purchase his jersey under any circumstances.

Shouldn't there be a 13a in there...what if the player from the other team is a close friend?

lilyoder6
05-26-2008, 03:56 PM
evry game i just chose who i want to root 4.. except 4 the steelers.. lol.. i wouldn't mine to see the chargers win a sb...

but u also have to look at FF leagues to determine who u root 4 as well

The Patriot
05-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I think some of you are misinterpreting what a "bandwagoner" is. Somebody who roots for different teams is called a "casual sportsfan". They don't devote themselves to a single team for whatever reason. You don't have to be a devoted fan of a particular team to watch the NCAA tournament.
A "bandwagoner" is somebody who watches a team when they're good and disapears when they're lousy and calls themself a devoted fan.

Just to dispell the idea that Patriots bandwagoners went out and bought Giants gear after the Superbowl. They just disapear until the next winning streak.

The Duke
05-26-2008, 04:16 PM
A "bandwagoner" is somebody who watches a team when they're good and disapears when they're lousy and calls themself a devoted fan.

aka bengals fans

Galax Steeler
05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
aka bengals fans

The bengal fans have dissapeared lately haven't they.
:toofunny:

steelwall
05-27-2008, 06:35 AM
I think some of you are misinterpreting what a "bandwagoner" is. Somebody who roots for different teams is called a "casual sportsfan". They don't devote themselves to a single team for whatever reason. You don't have to be a devoted fan of a particular team to watch the NCAA tournament.

Just to dispell the idea that Patriots bandwagoners went out and bought Giants gear after the Superbowl. They just disapear until the next winning streak.

So your inturpretation of a bandwagoner is the only right one? I suppose webster used your definition in the dictionary? If not, what do you know? I never heard of a "casual sports fan", and by your definition whats the differance?

The Patriot
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
So your inturpretation of a bandwagoner is the only right one? I suppose webster used your definition in the dictionary? If not, what do you know? I never heard of a "casual sports fan", and by your definition whats the differance?

Because "Bandwagon effect" is an actual social proof used in politics to describe how people are more likely to follow the crowd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_effect

The Duke
05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
The bengal fans have dissapeared lately haven't they.
:toofunny:

nothing new

at least CantStop85 is a loyal fan. the only loyal bengal fan I believe, lol