PDA

View Full Version : NFL Europe

KeiselPower99
05-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Does anyone else miss the Spring football league in Europe?? I just think it was dumb to pull the plug on a league that just had the best year ever.

SteelersMongol
05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Right. It happened just when I was hoping that they'd start talking about NFL Asia. :crying02:

HughC
05-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Considering the best year ever had propelled ratings past major league lacrosse, maybe the NFL should reconsider.

Steeler in Carolina
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
There definitely is worse sports that are being televised.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
There definitely is worse sports that are being televised.

Yes, they do televise the Luge.

Rhee Rhee
05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Yes, they do televise the Luge.

i've seen curling once or twice on tv.

KeiselPower99
05-28-2008, 12:22 AM
What the hell is curling???

vasteeler
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM

basicly shuffle board on ice

rbryan
05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
The networks had to make sure there was plenty airtime for the WNBA, womens softball, etc..

I couldn't get too excited about NFL Europe. I'd rather watch replays of the NFL games from last year. One good thing about being hammered every Sunday is that I already forgot most of those games so it's kind of like watching them live....lol

millwalldavey
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I think they pulled the plug because there may be some kind of legit "minor league" (for lack of a better term) starting up stateside in a few years.

CanadianSteel
05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I have always thought that the NFL should support the CFL and this would be a good match. NFL teams could designate specified number of players to CFL Rosters to learn/improve their football skills and CFL could tie into a TV deal in the states, NFL Network or otherwise. Its a win win situation for both leagues and would cost way less than supporting an NLF Europe.

steelreserve
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
That makes me kind of sad, because I thought it had always worked pretty well as an NFL "D-League." I'm not 100 percent clear on how it worked, but I seem to remember we'd occasionally send guys there for a year if we thought they were worth a look but not ready yet.

At any rate, I don't know how much money they could be losing. Didn't those guys only get paid like $30,000 or $40,000 a year?

Still, I guess other, closer options like the CFL or the Arena league made the market for a "minor league" like this a pretty crowded one.

ChronoCross
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
When your loosing over 30mil in the negative of course the league will fail. Only thing NFLE was good for was catching a good player here and there and fine honing a NFL player who needed worked in certain areas of his game. Places like Frankfurt which was close to the largest US population in Europe did ok but other places that were not near any USA Basis struggled badly.

Lets hope this new B league that is being put in place right here in are own backyard will give us the extra added football during the summer. Arena ball is ok but I like the old fashion football play myself.

SteelersMongol
05-28-2008, 08:34 PM
... I couldn't get too excited about NFL Europe. I'd rather watch replays of the NFL games from last year...

It's because NFL didn't take NFLE seriously. They turned it into a rookie playground or some sort of training camp. :banging:

I have always thought that the NFL should support the CFL and this would be a good match. NFL teams could designate specified number of players to CFL Rosters to learn/improve their football skills and CFL could tie into a TV deal in the states, NFL Network or otherwise. Its a win win situation for both leagues and would cost way less than supporting an NLF Europe.

Or they could just integrate it into NFL as a part of expansion plan that some people want.

steelreserve
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
When your loosing over 30mil in the negative of course the league will fail. Only thing NFLE was good for was catching a good player here and there and fine honing a NFL player who needed worked in certain areas of his game. Places like Frankfurt which was close to the largest US population in Europe did ok but other places that were not near any USA Basis struggled badly.

It was losing that much money? Then I stand corrected -- it's no wonder the league didn't make it.

I hope a "B" league makes it in the U.S., but if past experience is any indicator, that's a longshot. The Arena League and CFL survive somehow, but I've got a feeling that's because Arena is a different game and the CFL is located outside the NFL's reach, in basically the only other country where a pro football league would work.

If it's the same game as the NFL, but with inferior players, we've already seen the USFL, XFL and the original WLAF go under for plain old lack of interest.

Steeler in Carolina
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Don't knock curling. Where else can you set you beer down and it remains cold.(Not to mention you could drink while you are playing)

Steeler in Carolina
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM

I agree. The CFL is an established league and right now doesn't have much viewership in the US, but by partnering with the NFL would raise interest.

SteelersJW
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
It was good to see some form of the NFL in the spring but I don't think it was worth it for the League. It doesn't seem as it the Europeans enjoyed watching our shityest players suck it up on the field. Every time I watched a game there was absolutely no one in the stands. Even though it was an excellent way for nobodys to become noticed, I really don't think it was worth it for the NFL.

Galax Steeler
05-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Don't knock curling. Where else can you set you beer down and it remains cold.(Not to mention you could drink while you are playing)

Now that is what I'm talking about.:drink: