PDA

View Full Version : UDFA Doug Legursky-Center/Guard

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 05:21 AM
UDFA Doug Legursky-Center/Guard
By Woody Woodrum
Sr. Editor, Herd Insider magazine
Posted Apr 28, 2008

Doug Legursky, a four-year starter for the Thundering Herd at center, signed on Sunday with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a free agent. The 6-foot-3, 310-pound product of Beckley, W.Va. and Woodrow Wilson High School, was thrilled to be going to a team known for outstanding centers.

Back 44 years, only five men have been the primary center for the Steelers: Ray Mansfield, 1964-75, won two Super Bowls; the late Mike Webster, 1976-88, who also won two Super Bowls, is in the NFL Hall of Fame and won All-Pro and Pro Bowl awards a number of times; Dermonit Dawson, 1989-2000, who also had multiple Pro Bowl/All-Pro honors, including one year he got every vote at center from the media and coaches; Jeff Hartings, 2001-06, who won a Super Bowl with Pittsburgh, was All-Pro once and went to multiple Pro Bowls. The current center is Sean Mahan, but the Steelers may move him to guard. Pittsburgh signed Justin Hartwig, the former Carolina Panthers center, back in March to a two year, $4 million deal, with nearly a $1 million signing bonus, so the timing could be right for Doug Legursky, who can play center or guard.

“Right now, they are looking at me more as a guard and back-up center,” Legursky told Anthony Hanshew of The (Huntington) Herald-Dispatch. “I’m going to be working hard to earn the respect of the veterans and coaches and find my way to the top.” Legursky has been working out at the HIT Center in Huntington, and back in early March had a long-snapping clinic with former Marshall, Philadelphia Eagles and All-Pro long snapper Mike Bartrum. Legursky hoped long snapping, which he picked up rapidly, will enhance his chances of making the team.

http://marshall.scout.com/2/750840.html

GBMelBlount
05-18-2008, 06:03 AM
I would LOVE to see Legursky work out. Several SF'ers had there eye on him leading up to the draft.

Texasteel
05-18-2008, 06:50 AM
The fact that Legursky didn't get drafted surprized me greatly. The fact that he signed with the Steelers pleased me greatly. I thought that he may have been our best UDFA signing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 06:53 AM
The fact that Legursky didn't get drafted surprized me greatly. The fact that he signed with the Steelers pleased me greatly. I thought that he may have been our best UDFA signing.

Every time I find an article on him...the word "nasty" keeps popping up,

...we could use some more "nasty" on our O-Line.

GBMelBlount
05-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Maybe someone should hide Starks teddy bear before each game. We need more Colon's on our team.

Elvis
05-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Every time I find an article on him...the word "nasty" keeps popping up,

...we could use some more "nasty" on our O-Line.
I love Nasty!!!
In our Offensive Linemen that is:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Maybe someone should hide Starks teddy bear before each game. We need more Colon's on our team.

:chuckle:

:thumbsup:

Tankus_Maximus
05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Agreed......a nasty O-Lineman is a great thing.

Especially the kind that steps on a guys inner thigh in a pile.....or a guy who grabs and twists the guys junk in a pile.....needless to say....alot of stuff happens in a pile that will make the opposition a little more hesistant to go all out against you.

Nasty O-Linemen rule!!

Texasteel
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Agreed......a nasty O-Lineman is a great thing.

Especially the kind that steps on a guys inner thigh in a pile.....or a guy who grabs and twists the guys junk in a pile.....needless to say....alot of stuff happens in a pile that will make the opposition a little more hesistant to go all out against you.

Nasty O-Linemen rule!!

The name Conrad Dobbler, comes to mind.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Legursky has the strength and the stones to play in the NFL.....He was my favorite center in this past draft class so I was glad when the Steelers signed him......

BlastFurnace
05-18-2008, 12:35 PM

I like the tone of this thread. We need some Nasty Colon's on this team. Maybe that would keep the opposition's pass rush from coming at Ben.

KeiselPower99
05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I loved watchin him play the last 4 years at Marshall. Here is a few reasons I would guess he wasnt drated. 1, Marshall was 3-9 last year and so far Doug is the only guy that has been signed to a contract. Bernard Morris (qb) Josh Johnson(lb) and Marcus Fitzgerald(wr) all were considered late round possibilities. 2. I was watching them play Memphis this past year and they was saying he needed to work on his shotgun snapping. He sometimes didnt get enough into it. Hence the reason they could have him taking long snapping reps. But he is very nasty and works out very hard. His first start was against THE Ohio State and he played very very good.

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I like the tone of this thread. We need some Nasty Colon's on this team. Maybe that would keep the opposition's pass rush from coming at Ben.
i like the sound of that. anything that would help keep ben upright is a good thing.:thumbsup:

Mistah_Q
05-18-2008, 01:22 PM
We need some Nasty Colon's on this team. Maybe that would keep the opposition's pass rush from coming at Ben.So just have a taco bell buffet before each game. For sure, it'll stifle the pass rush :rofl:

Rhee Rhee
05-18-2008, 01:31 PM
i think for o-linemen (especially centers) the determination and brute strength is a huge factor...

this bodes very well for doug legursky.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace
We need some Nasty Colon's on this team. Maybe that would keep the opposition's pass rush from coming at Ben.

So just have a taco bell buffet before each game. For sure, it'll stifle the pass rush :rofl:

:toofunny::toofunny:

GBMelBlount
05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
There was another Colon that played defense for Jacksonville I think? Wasn't he pretty nasty too?

BlastFurnace
05-18-2008, 03:31 PM
So just have a taco bell buffet before each game. For sure, it'll stifle the pass rush :rofl:

Reminds me of the Married with Children episode where Al reclaimed his bathroom from Peggy by eating Mexican food.

I would hate to line across from Kemoautu if he loaded up on anything from Taco Bell.

VTsteel
05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Nasty is what we need!
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/tazberrygonzales/Steelers-6.gif

Tankus_Maximus
05-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Reminds me of the Married with Children episode where Al reclaimed his bathroom from Peggy by eating Mexican food.

I would hate to line across from Kemoautu if he loaded up on anything from Taco Bell.

:iagree: I remember reading that Kemoeatu got kicked out of several games in college for his "antics"....really hope I can see more of him in a starting role this year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2008, 06:02 AM
:iagree: I remember reading that Kemoeatu got kicked out of several games in college for his "antics"....really hope I can see more of him in a starting role this year.

He was suspended for a few games in college for kicking a player.

Tankus_Maximus
05-19-2008, 09:54 AM
He was suspended for a few games in college for kicking a player.

Flippin' Sweeeet!!

Once he becomes a starter, I'm gettin his jersey!!!:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Flippin' Sweeeet!!

Once he becomes a starter, I'm gettin his jersey!!!:tt02:

LOL!!!...then you will love this...he was forced to take anger management class to be able to stay on the team...

Here is a portion of a Q&A that he talked about it

Q: You mentioned being aggressive. Have you always been an aggressive player and has that always been to your benefit?

A: I used to (trash talk). There was an incident with me in college where I kicked a guy, and they made a big deal about it. I really tried to calm down. That incident happened in the heat of battle. I kind of overreacted. In the pros, you get suspended, they take a whole bunch of money from you
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_475959.html

Here is the article on the suspension
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20031013-1755-fbc-utah-kemoeatu.html

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Anything for depth is an improvement. Give our starters a push and keep us realistically competetive if someone gets hurt. I'm a fan.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Doug Legursky excited about his professional prospects
May 14, 2008 @ 11:58 PM
By ANTHONY HANSHEW
The Herald-Dispatch

Call it work. Call it a business. That's fine, because bottom line, Doug Legursky simply is energized by his return to football.

Fresh off a four-year starting career at Marshall University, Legursky now plays football as a profession. The free agent signee recently finished his first Pittsburgh Steelers mini-camp and returns to Pennsylvania today for workouts.

Legursky admittedly has zero problem approaching the game as a punch-the-clock business.

"You've got to have that mindset," Legursky said. "But it's almost a relief to get back to work because there was so much down time. Getting around the players and actually going to work was great."

His initial mini-camp, completed one week after signing with the Steelers, featured more action in meeting rooms than on the field.

"There was a lot of mental stuff more than anything," Legursky said. "They wanted to see if you take (teaching) from the meeting room on to the field. They wanted to see who can pick up the system and retain information.

"And they'll be looking to see who can retain information from our little break to OTAs (offseason training activities). That was the biggest part. It was a learning process."

OTAs, beginning today, focus much more on the physical. Conditioning isn't an issue for the 6-foot-3, 3111-pound Beckley native, who tested well during Marshall's Pro Day and was considered a late-round draft prospect.

After starting primarily at center during his Thundering Herd career, Legursky debuted at right guard with the Steelers. He also worked out at left guard in spot duty and eventually could earn snaps at center.

"Right now I'm at guard and there's less information and fewer calls to make," Legursky said. "Once I learn the system I might move over to center some. Going to center right now there would be even more information."

Legursky now will integrate fully into Pittsburgh's strength and conditioning routine. Workouts and position meetings will continue into the summer, leading to the July 28 kickoff of preseason camp.

Building through the draft rather than headline-grabbing free agency signings, Pittsburgh ranks among the NFL's most consistent franchises of this decade. Legursky absorbed his first taste of the storied organization earlier this month and welcomes his next opportunity to earn a roster spot.

"I'm very impressed with the way they conduct themselves," Legursky said. "There's not a lot of flash. There are a lot of hardworking guys and I think I can fit into that very well."
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x438077156

Steeldude
05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
i am more excited about legursky than hills. IMO, i feel hills is going to be an IR case.

BlastFurnace
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
i am more excited about legursky than hills. IMO, i feel hills is going to be an IR case.

I have a very good friend who follows the Longhorns like many of us follow the Steelers. He wasn't very high on Hills either and mentioned his injury history and his drop foot tendency. It wouldn't surprise me if Hills ends up like Kris Farris did many years ago...big guy, talent, but is on injured reserve.

I liked the Steelers entire draft, except for the 4th and 5th picks.

ChronoCross
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I hope this guy can help were we need serious help at right now. I did not like the Hill pick ether. Far as Dixon, Batch cannot be here forever and Dixon is not a bad pick for backup. But I think it was a reach we could of maybe got him in later rounds are even possible UDFA.

Steeldude
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
here is some info from lindy's...

DOUG LEGURSKY, Marshall

6-3, 312 40 time: 5.22 7th round

Positives: Solid frame for the center position. Squatty, powerful build. Good initial quickness. Good use of hands to jolt the defender at the snap and can control the defender. At least adequate lateral agility to slide in pass protection. Can track the linebacker and flashes the ability to make the block in space. Flashes some nastiness and looks to intimidate defenders. Two-year captain. Works hard — especially in the weight room.

Negatives: Level of competition a concern. Short arms, even for the center position. Excellent weight-room strength doesn't always translate(true, but the opposite can be said also). Struggles with leverage and can be driven back by bigger tackles(i read it's because he has a tendency to stand too tall. it can be fixed). Marginal overall athleticism to block on the move.

In Our View: Combines good size, great strength, at least adequate overall athleticism and toughness to rank as one of the better, more underrated pivot prospects in the 2008 draft.

anyone remember terry long? he was short and squatty too. he turned out to be a good guard for the steelers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
here is some info from lindy's...

DOUG LEGURSKY, Marshall

6-3, 312 40 time: 5.22 7th round

Positives: Solid frame for the center position. Squatty, powerful build. Good initial quickness. Good use of hands to jolt the defender at the snap and can control the defender. At least adequate lateral agility to slide in pass protection. Can track the linebacker and flashes the ability to make the block in space. Flashes some nastiness and looks to intimidate defenders. Two-year captain. Works hard — especially in the weight room.

Negatives: Level of competition a concern. Short arms, even for the center position. Excellent weight-room strength doesn't always translate(true, but the opposite can be said also). Struggles with leverage and can be driven back by bigger tackles(i read it's because he has a tendency to stand too tall. it can be fixed). Marginal overall athleticism to block on the move.

In Our View: Combines good size, great strength, at least adequate overall athleticism and toughness to rank as one of the better, more underrated pivot prospects in the 2008 draft.

anyone remember terry long? he was short and squatty too. he turned out to be a good guard for the steelers.

Benchpressed 225 lbs ...37 times. Some of our "taller" O-lineman have problems with leverage...wont be a problem with Legursky.....(I'd love to see the Hampton/Legursky matchup)

BettisFan
05-19-2008, 07:17 PM
i'm telling you one of thsese UDFA will step up and will get the nod for us, we have good like with UDFA's

Steel Buckeye
05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Legursky is a rock. I think he is a major steal and will be a great fit. Benching 225 lbs 37 times is very impressive.

Tankus_Maximus
05-19-2008, 10:09 PM
LOL!!!...then you will love this...he was forced to take anger management class to be able to stay on the team...

Here is a portion of a Q&A that he talked about it

Here is the article on the suspension
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20031013-1755-fbc-utah-kemoeatu.html

Yup...it's official: he's my new favorite Steeler!!!! :tt:

Sounds like he's got that punk-rock, take-no-sh!t/prisoners attitude....perhaps my brother from a different mother??

RJC
05-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Yup...it's official: he's my new favorite Steeler!!!! :tt:

Sounds like he's got that punk-rock, take-no-sh!t/prisoners attitude....perhaps my brother from a different mother??

It's "brother from another mother". You know, that whole ryhming thing....

Steeldude
05-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Legursky is a rock. I think he is a major steal and will be a great fit. Benching 225 lbs 37 times is very impressive.

keep in mind those were reps at his pro day, not the combine. the combine doesn't count short-arming the reps like the pro day does.

here is his pro day. as you can see, he is short-arming the reps. this doesn't mean he isn't strong, but those aren't official NFL combine reps :helmet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIHRG_r-hhg

PS: anyone know why the youtube feature for putting videos in your posts doesn't work?

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-20-2008, 07:54 AM

Good thing you cleared that up....I think we were all confused since it didnt rhyme.:doh:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-20-2008, 07:57 AM
keep in mind those were reps at his pro day, not the combine. the combine doesn't count short-arming the reps like the pro day does.

here is his pro day. as you can see, he is short-arming the reps. this doesn't mean he isn't strong, but those aren't official NFL combine reps :helmet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIHRG_r-hhg

PS: anyone know why the youtube feature for putting videos in your posts doesn't work?

LOL...I dont think Legursky can do anything BUT short arm...that dude is a Fire Hydrant!!! Look at the size of his thighs...they are bigger than my waist!!!!!!

ChronoCross
05-20-2008, 09:00 AM
I think the guy will be better suited for guard. Having Longer arms really helps being a Tackle. I think you will see him excel at Guard if he makes it.

Tankus_Maximus
05-20-2008, 09:35 AM

:applaudit:

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
He should have been drafted. This was another steal.

KeiselPower99
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
This really depresses me he was released.

millwalldavey
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I had some hopes for this guy...

Maybe what we have is better.