PDA

View Full Version : UDFA Micah Rucker-Wide Reciever

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 07:07 AM
UDFA Micah Rucker-Wide Reciever
Scott Richey/Sports Editor
Issue date: 4/28/08 Section: Sports

Micah Rucker knew his fate in the NFL.

The 6'6 Eastern senior wide receiver got a call from his agent with about 15 picks remaining in the draft and his agent told him that the Pittsburgh Steelers had offered Rucker a free-agent contract.

"(My agent) was saying if the Bears didn't pick me with their last few picks, I would be a Steeler," Rucker said.

The Chicago Bears drafted Arkansas wide receiver Marcus Monk in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft with the 248th pick.

"It was just a sigh of relief," Rucker said. I'm just happy to get an opportunity."

Rucker said he still has a lot of work left to do, but he said he was going to take the opportunity to play in the NFL and run with it. Rucker said he was not surprised with the free agency offer.

"From the whole get-go, I had heard and I was pretty much setting myself on being a priority free agent, and anything sixth or seventh round would be a blessing," Rucker said.

Rucker said he would be in a good situation at Pittsburgh because the Steelers had a need for a wide receiver. Pittsburgh drafted Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed in the second round.

If Rucker makes Pittsburgh's roster, he will be the Steelers' second biggest wide receiver at 6 feet, 6 inches and 221 pounds.

"It's truly going to be a blessing," Rucker said about the chance to play in the NFL. "It's something I've always dreamed of."

The Bears - who had four picks in the seventh round - also had needs for a wide receiver, and Rucker said Chicago was a viable place for him to be drafted.

"I'm not sure if (Chicago) just didn't know me as well," Rucker said. "That's kind of hard to say. I guess they had a different need. I'm anxious to get a chance to play some more football."

Rucker said he would travel to Pittsburgh this week for a rookies' mini-camp from Thursday to Sunday. He said he has been working hard on his strength, speed and wide receiver skills like route-running and catching, and he said he told the Pittsburgh coaching staff he was ready to play.

"I've been working hard," Rucker said. "I just have to get acquitted to the way things work at this level. I'm just happy with the opportunity. I'm just looking forward to be able to take my game to another level. I'm just going to keep working my butt off."

Rucker finished the 2007 season with 777 receiving yards and nine touchdowns on 55 receptions. He had 104 receptions, 22 touchdowns and 1,743 yards during his two-year Eastern career after transferring from Minnesota.

http://media.www.dennews.com/media/storage/paper309/news/2008/04/28/Sports/Rucker.Signs.With.Steelers-3351813.shtml?refsource=collegeheadlines

GBMelBlount
05-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Rucker said. "I just have to get acquitted to the way things work at this level. I'm just happy with the opportunity. I'm just looking forward to be able to take my game to another level. I'm just going to keep working my butt off."

:doh: ......your trying out for the Steelers, not the Bengals.

Rucker finished the 2007 season with 777 receiving yards and nine touchdowns on 55 receptions. He had 104 receptions, 22 touchdowns and 1,743 yards during his two-year Eastern career after transferring from Minnesota.

6'6". I honestly like the idea that we are auditioning so many tall targets. It's a sophisticated numbers game really. The more warm bodies you bring in the better the shot at finding that "diamond in the rough." :noidea:

Look at Colston.

slashsteel
05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Rucker lost his girlfriend due to a drunk driver. Which I thought was very sad. He has a good head on his shoulder and I for one will be pulling for him to make the roster.....................

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
He is so tall.

TasmanianTroy271
06-14-2008, 10:12 PM
"If Rucker makes Pittsburgh's roster, he will be the Steelers' second biggest wide receiver at 6 feet, 6 inches and 221 pounds."

Whose Taller?

P.S.sorry, was looking through old posts and forgot. Didn't mean to resurrect a dead thread

RJC
06-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Matt Spaeth, who they are counting as a WR in this article....

Rhee Rhee
06-15-2008, 04:28 PM
IMO i'd rather have rucker on the roster over baker and reid...

baker is tall but he's not rucker tall... i'm just pushing for rucker...

The Duke
06-15-2008, 10:56 PM

I dunno, I just want good receivers, regardless of their size

I wish rucker the best luck in the world and hopefully he becomes a star, but play wide receiver, that's it, it's not a who's taller contest

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-16-2008, 10:04 AM

Sure, if the kid is better. Baker and Reid have proven nothing as Steelers yet.

Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Washington........the 5th guy better have big upside or be able to contribute on special teams.

MDSteel15
06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Baker should be the 5th man this year and Rucker can be on the practice squad until he unseats Nate next season!

steelreserve
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Rucker lost his girlfriend due to a drunk driver. Which I thought was very sad. He has a good head on his shoulder and I for one will be pulling for him to make the roster.....................

I still have no idea why she'd dump a star football player for a drunk driver. That just goes to show you, women are crazy. Or maybe the drunk driver just had a really good pick-up line.

jrenee1225
06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I still have no idea why she'd dump a star football player for a drunk driver. That just goes to show you, women are crazy. Or maybe the drunk driver just had a really good pick-up line.

that's so sad that you would say that.