PDA

View Full Version : Punt returning proved problematic for '07 Steelers

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Punt returning proved problematic for '07 Steelers
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Steelers ranked near the bottom of the NFL last season in punt returns, making it the area of special teams in which they fared the worst in 2007 -- at least statistically.

They signed free agent Mewelde Moore to bolster their punt-return game, and the former Viking could be a significant upgrade over Allen Rossum.

Moore is Minnesota's career leader in punt-return average (10.5 yards), and he has twice returned punts for touchdowns. Rossum averaged 6.4 yards per punt return last season -- the Steelers' average of 6.1 yards ranked 30th out of 32 teams -- and the Steelers released him in February.

Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers aren't "ruling anybody out at this point" when it comes to returning kicks, and that includes third-year wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

Holmes had success returning punts as a rookie -- he averaged 10.2 yards per return in 2006 and returned a punt for a touchdown -- but he also had some issues with fumbling and played almost exclusively at wide receiver last season.
Tomlin has been reluctant to use Holmes, who also averaged 24.2 yards per kickoff return in 2006, as a returner because he wants the former first-round draft pick to concentrate on his primary position.

"I'll always be conscious of what I put on young guys' plates," Tomlin said. "That was my reasoning. It may or may not be my reasoning again this year. We'll see what happens."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_568100.html

stillers4me
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Here's to teams fearing all 3 aspects of a scary Steelers football team! :tt02:

Wouldn't that be lov-er-ly! :cheers:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Here's to teams fearing all 3 aspects of a scary Steelers football team! :tt02:

Wouldn't that be lov-er-ly! :cheers:

In looking at our players...I have to think that Travis Williams has a chance to step right in at Rossum's spot...used in a few defensive schemes but able to step up our return game....I think he was ranked #4 in the nation as a sophmore...I will have to look it up..but pretty sure.

Rhee Rhee
05-18-2008, 06:15 PM
In looking at our players...I have to think that Travis Williams has a chance to step right in at Rossum's spot...used in a few defensive schemes but able to step up our return game....I think he was ranked #4 in the nation as a sophmore...I will have to look it up..but pretty sure.

from the article you posted earlier about him. i think he's a high character guy that will work hard and as u said possibly take over the KR,PR duties that allen rossum left..

ChronoCross
05-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I did not like the hiring of Ligashesky. I am glade Rossum is gone. I hope something gets better on Special Teams because STS has caused us problems in the past getting to the SB.

Galax Steeler
05-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Hopefully moore will boost our return game and I really don't won't to see holmes back there because of an injury and every time he was back there I would squinch because I was affraid he was going to fumble.

HometownGal
05-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey - any improvement(s) made to the Steelers return game is a positive after last season's debacle. Ever since Randle El left, we've had a gaping hole there that needs to be filled fast and in a hurry.

rbryan
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Squinch?....is that squirming and flinching at the same time??....lol

I didn't realize we were worst in the league. No where to go but up, regardless of who gets the nod.

We couldn't have been much better on kick coverage either. I'd be happy if we could just manage to not give up two big returns every time we play the Browns.

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'd be happy if we could manage to not give up two big returns every time we play the Browns

two words: contain cribbs!!!!

rbryan
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
It seems like the Browns have been killing us for years on kick returns. All the way back to Terry Metcalf days.

Lord Stiller
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Now that we have Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore can really focus on being our return guy.

Moore can also contribute as a decent 3rd down back but his value for us is returning kicks (especially punts)

very good signing

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
i am hoping moore is one of the missing pieces of our ST. we were awful last year.

billybob
05-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Good to see people taking an interest in how bad our special teams play has been.I've been saying it all along.I think it had more of an impact on where we ended up last year,than the o-line everyone has been ragging on.

Dirt53
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm more worried about the coverage teams than our returns. With our current offense I feel we can drive the length of the field if necessary so I'd rather make sure we're not giving them any advantage. On that note I don't think the team did enough to improve the kick coverage this offseason. I would like to see another CB or WR that could cover kicks brought in.

Lord Stiller
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Good to see people taking an interest in how bad our special teams play has been.I've been saying it all along.I think it had more of an impact on where we ended up last year,than the o-line everyone has been ragging on.

those were our 3 main weakness last season

Moore addresses our return man now we need to address our kick coverage. It still makes me sick to my stomach when we went down and scored on Jax to go up 7-0 and they return the kickoff to the 1 yard line. That was like a kick in the groin!

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Seriously...

TACKLE THE GUY WITH THE BALL ON KICK COVERAGE!!!!

Sigh...just had to get that our there people.

lilyoder6
05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
with us signing moore and getting rashard i can see najah going bye since he has no rb or return man spot left... reid could poss be going bye bye unless somehow he shows he can play wr... davis and humpal will be a good addition to the cov team

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Moore looks to be a big upgrade over rossum.