PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall Stats

Elvis
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I had questioned Rashards stats against the top competition, so I looked them up on ESPN.com and this is what I found for last season (2007)

vs- Missouri 11 att. 33 yards 2 td's (loss)
Western Illinois 23 att. 139 yards 1 td
at) Syracuse 16-150-3
at) Indiana 27-214-1
Penn State 18-76-1
Wisconsin 19-160-2
at) iowa 15-67-0 (loss)
Michigan 18-85-0 (loss)
Ball State 28-189-2
at) Minnesota 17-201-2
at) Ohio State 26-88-0 (WIN)
Northwestern 27-124-2
Rose Bowl
vs- USC 17 att. 155 yards 1 td

Rashard had huge games against not so good teams like W' Illinois and Ball State but he also had huge games against Wisconsin, Minnesota and the most impressive may have been against a good USC team in the Rose Bowl.

delhess
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
good stats, i am getting more and more excited about this guy

Steeldude
05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
i believe he ran out of a spread offense in college. we will see how that translates in the pros.

millwalldavey
05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
It may take him sometime to get used to playing outside of the spread. But, how much difference can there be?

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM
The spread is nothing more than a "qb" option style offense. The QB has the option to hand it off, keep it or throw it. Its not that big of a deal on the ability of a running back. The fact that he's a heavier running back and could still perform out of a spread, which is usually effective with smaller faster backs, shows the guy is a great athlete all around. Lining up in the I formation or as a Single Back isn't what concerns me, I want him to learn the blocking schemes on passing plays and how to get open as an outlet pass on a 3rd down play.

19ward86
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
willie parker only had a couple hundred yards in his whole North Carolina career, not to crush dreams but stats can be misleading even though i do believe he will be really good.

Dino 6 Rings
05-19-2008, 04:57 PM
I look more at the fact that Rashad is a pure athlete who is very skilled at the position of Running back. He'll hit the hole hard, knows how to read an offensive line while its in motion, the spread requires that, and has a burst of speed that is very deceptive for his size. I look forward to his first carry of the regular season as much as I look forward to Sweed's first TD Catch of the regular season.

The Duke
05-19-2008, 06:50 PM
willie parker only had a couple hundred yards in his whole North Carolina career, not to crush dreams but stats can be misleading even though i do believe he will be really good.

took the words right out of my mouth

it's good he had big games against the best teams though, maybe that can translate into the runningback we need to run against the ravens

I can just picture rachard stiff arming ray lewis right now :helmet:

BettisFan
05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
trust me guys this guy was worth our first pick, hes a best lets just hope he continues this in the nfl!

Preacher
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
He will compliment Willie nicely...

He will also extend Willie's career for a few years.

I am still worried about the O line. However, quicker passes and a spread formation should help.

JanBr7
05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm choosing to be optimistic! I think Rashard will complement Willie, and I think the O-line will be just fine if they can stay healthy. I have heard good things about the center they signed...O-line will hopefully be better than the sum of its parts.

Galax Steeler
05-20-2008, 03:30 AM
I love what I see in his stats and hopefuly he can carry it over in the nfl.

The_WARDen
05-20-2008, 08:18 AM

true..wasn't Ron Dayne the NCAA leader when he came out? How'd that work out?

lilyoder6
05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
true..wasn't Ron Dayne the NCAA leader when he came out? How'd that work out?

again u can't put all the blame on ron dayne.. he was a beast in college and he wnet to a horrible team.. and when u play 4 a horrible team u can't be good.. but when he actually did go to a good team in the later yrs he was very productive...

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2008, 11:05 AM
if you look at Ron Dayne's stats, as this thread does with Rashad, you'll see that Dayne had horrible games against Michigan and OSU, and had huge games against bottom feeders like NorthWestern and Indiana. His game didn't transission well to the pros because of his lack of speed. Everyone on an NFL defense is faster than almost all the guys on the defenses of lower level big 10 teams.

Rashad however does have the skills to perform at the next level. He's big, strong and most importantly, fast.

The_WARDen
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
again u can't put all the blame on ron dayne.. he was a beast in college and he wnet to a horrible team.. and when u play 4 a horrible team u can't be good.. but when he actually did go to a good team in the later yrs he was very productive...

initially yes, buy then he ended up in NY with the Giants and didn't he even play for Denver for a bit?

The_WARDen
05-20-2008, 12:10 PM
if you look at Ron Dayne's stats, as this thread does with Rashad, you'll see that Dayne had horrible games against Michigan and OSU, and had huge games against bottom feeders like NorthWestern and Indiana. His game didn't transission well to the pros because of his lack of speed. Everyone on an NFL defense is faster than almost all the guys on the defenses of lower level big 10 teams.

Rashad however does have the skills to perform at the next level. He's big, strong and most importantly, fast.

Is that based on game tape (I admit I have not seen one single play of his in college)?

There's a difference between game speed and combine speed. Not saying he isn't fast in game situations but I have nothing to base it on.

Steeldude
05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
.. and when u play 4 a horrible team u can't be good..

don't tell barry sanders that :wink02:

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 12:49 PM
don't tell barry sanders that :wink02:

Seriously, Barry Sanders was the exception to any rule you apply to football. He was the only RB I know that looked like he broke his ankles every time he ran the ball. Let alone made defensive players look like 5th graders trying to tackle!!!

I can't think of another RB in the league that was able to run as effective as Barry did without having some resemblance of an offensive line in front of him.

Dino 6 Rings
05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Is that based on game tape (I admit I have not seen one single play of his in college)?

There's a difference between game speed and combine speed. Not saying he isn't fast in game situations but I have nothing to base it on.

I started to make a habit of watching Illinois football week 1 last year when they had a freaking awesome game against Missouri. It was a rivalry game and it was a punch in the face fun game to watch. Over the season I saw Rashad play, and he although he isn't Parker fast, he's faster than Bettis ever was and big enough to get through holes. And unlike Najeh, Rashad knows the meaning of lower the shoulders. I was happy we took him, not sure about in the 1st round, but once we made the pick, I was happy about it. Follow that up with Sweed and I feel really good about or O next season. This Rashad kid is good, and because he doesn't have to come in and carry the entire load from game one, but can sit back, learn, develop and become a cog in the machine (unlike Petterson in Minnesota, who is the Machine) I expect we'll see great things from RM.

Jt- Steelers Fan
05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Great stats. Easily the second best back that was in the draft, and it will show.

The_WARDen
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I started to make a habit of watching Illinois football week 1 last year when they had a freaking awesome game against Missouri. It was a rivalry game and it was a punch in the face fun game to watch. Over the season I saw Rashad play, and he although he isn't Parker fast, he's faster than Bettis ever was and big enough to get through holes. And unlike Najeh, Rashad knows the meaning of lower the shoulders. I was happy we took him, not sure about in the 1st round, but once we made the pick, I was happy about it. Follow that up with Sweed and I feel really good about or O next season. This Rashad kid is good, and because he doesn't have to come in and carry the entire load from game one, but can sit back, learn, develop and become a cog in the machine (unlike Petterson in Minnesota, who is the Machine) I expect we'll see great things from RM.

Cool!

Elvis
05-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Barring injuries.. I honestly think that Mendenhall will last longer than Darren McFadden or Adrian Peterson last years rookie of the year! Bold statement huh...? Peterson is a great back, but he runs too tall and takes alot of hits.. the only guy I can remember being tall and lasting very long was a guy named Eric Dickerson from the Rams and Colts. Now, Dickerson was that big, but he was tall and to think that the guy wouldnt run over you was a mistake because he would at times. I just love a short 5'10" 225 up to 250 or so is a great size for a Steeler type running back.
I am very excited about the thought of Willie and Rashard gaining around 8 or 900 hundred yards a piece this upcoming season.
:tt02:

Preacher
05-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Seriously, Barry Sanders was the exception to any rule you apply to football. He was the only RB I know that looked like he broke his ankles every time he ran the ball. Let alone made defensive players look like 5th graders trying to tackle!!!

I can't think of another RB in the league that was able to run as effective as Barry did without having some resemblance of an offensive line in front of him.

Willie Parker?

:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Great stats. Easily the second best back that was in the draft, and it will show.

Maybe 2nd best to Stewart if you are talking NFL backs.

McFadden will be Reggie Bush lite, but run with even less power than Bush does. Consider the fact that the hashmarks are in the middle of the field more in the pro's and McFadden will not have room to run East-West.

Mendenhall and Stewart were the best RB's available in the draft. A few years back I compared Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Blair Thomas' college numbers and they all had good games against weak competittion and bad games against top 25 teams......it really doesnt equate to anything in the NFL.

Elvis
05-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Maybe 2nd best to Stewart if you are talking NFL backs.

McFadden will be Reggie Bush lite, but run with even less power than Bush does. Consider the fact that the hashmarks are in the middle of the field more in the pro's and McFadden will not have room to run East-West.

Mendenhall and Stewart were the best RB's available in the draft. A few years back I compared Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Blair Thomas' college numbers and they all had good games against weak competittion and bad games against top 25 teams......it really doesnt equate to anything in the NFL.
I feel pretty sure that Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson are doing pretty good in the NFL huh?.. I would have loved to have seen Jackson in Pittsurgh in Black N Gold or for that matter Larry Johnson would have been pretty nice as well.

lilyoder6
05-26-2008, 11:17 AM
i think d mac is more stronger than bush is.. d mac is a bush and ap combined.. the dude is built like a house.. he has the speed to kill u and the power to beat u up in the middle

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I feel pretty sure that Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson are doing pretty good in the NFL huh?.. I would have loved to have seen Jackson in Pittsurgh in Black N Gold or for that matter Larry Johnson would have been pretty nice as well.

Yeah...I was against taking Jackson because he piled up stats against weak teams in the Pac 10 while struggling aginst good defenses. I wanted Shawn Andrews that draft year.....but it all became moot when Ben was still on the board.

I think Mendenhall will turn out to be the best RB taken.....but what do I really know.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-26-2008, 01:24 PM
i think d mac is more stronger than bush is.. d mac is a bush and ap combined.. the dude is built like a house.. he has the speed to kill u and the power to beat u up in the middle

McFadden completed 13 reps of the 225 lb bench press at his Arkansas pro day.
Reggie Bush pushed 225lbs up 24 times in his pro day.

Mc Fadden's lower body looks more like a WR....his legs look like Spongebob's. I'm just happy we didnt get him.

Rhee Rhee
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm just happy we didnt get him.

and his 3 kids.

im very satisfied with rashard... he seems like an inside outside runner with a body built similar to larry johnson as someone has already pointed out. he also reminds me a bit of fred taylor... a dominant inside runner that can take it outside and make a guy miss...

willie parker and rashard hopefully will compile 2,000 rushing yards between them and add in guys like najeh and mewelde moore spelling the two, i can easily see 2,500+ rushing yards in the near future

Galax Steeler
05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
willie parker and rashard hopefully will compile 2,000 rushing yards between them and add in guys like najeh and mewelde moore spelling the two, i can easily see 2,500+ rushing yards in the near future

I believe that you can take najeh off of that list.:wink02:

GBMelBlount
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM

I agree. He is not known for his yards after contact. And again, there were some "experts" (*chuckle*) who felt mendenhall was the best runningback in the draft. "Bush lite"..... :chuckle:

lilyoder6
05-26-2008, 03:52 PM
McFadden completed 13 reps of the 225 lb bench press at his Arkansas pro day.
Reggie Bush pushed 225lbs up 24 times in his pro day.

Mc Fadden's lower body looks more like a WR....his legs look like Spongebob's. I'm just happy we didnt get him.

and tell me how many times during a game does a player bench 225??? if we had a chance to get him u would of been glad to have him...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-26-2008, 04:51 PM
and tell me how many times during a game does a player bench 225??? if we had a chance to get him u would of been glad to have him...

Any player, or specifically running backs?? I just posted their combine stats to show you that in fact McFadden is not any stronger in the upper body than Bush.

Honestly, if McFadden was taken at #23 and Mendenhall was still there......I would have been yelling at the TV louder than when Troy Edwards was taken over Jon Tait. McFadden has speed and thats about it. He isnt known for breaking tackles, getting yards after contact or running between the tackles and I think he is a huge risk of a pick.

Rhee Rhee made a great comparison of Mendenhall to Fred Taylor, while I still think McFadden is more like Reggie Bush. I'd rather have a young Fred Taylor over Reggie Bush anyday as an NFL back. In college, both Bush and McFadden are better backs.

Elvis
05-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah...I was against taking Jackson because he piled up stats against weak teams in the Pac 10 while struggling aginst good defenses. I wanted Shawn Andrews that draft year.....but it all became moot when Ben was still on the board.

I think Mendenhall will turn out to be the best RB taken.....but what do I really know.
So, what ya think about Steven Jackson now? That guy is a beast when healthy that would have been Awesome in BlackNGold!

lilyoder6
05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
ok.. but it's there upper bodies the leg strength is more important and d mac legs are thicker than bush's

Galax Steeler
05-27-2008, 04:02 AM
I would have love to seen Jackson in black and gold that guy is awsome.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2008, 11:23 AM
ok.. but it's there upper bodies the leg strength is more important and d mac legs are thicker than bush's

Ok.

I still have not seen McFadden run between the tackles and will still stand by my opinion that because the hashmarks are wider in college, the RB has the potential to run a "sweep" to the right if the ball is placed on the left hashmark. They can use the speed to stretch the defense and find a hole.

In the NFL, the hashmarks are in the middle, all the defenders have speed and a lot of them were first or 2nd round draft picks too. You gotta run North-South in the NFL and its not the strong point of either Bush or McFadden's game. I think Mendenhall and Stewart will prove to be better NFL RB's.

lilyoder6
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
bush had a very good rookie yr and did fall short this past yr... if u watched a lot of the ark games when they ran the hog off (when d mac was qb) they did a lot of power dives up the middle.. so he knows what to do...

Steelman16
05-29-2008, 02:46 AM
bush had a very good rookie yr and did fall short this past yr... if u watched a lot of the ark games when they ran the hog off (when d mac was qb) they did a lot of power dives up the middle.. so he knows what to do...

Mendenhall is still better! :chuckle:

I have to agree with EGJ on this one. McFadden definitely has the speed to kill, but lacks the other proper attributes of a solid NFL back. He looks more like a track runner than an NFL running back.

As far as Reggie Bush, that kid is just simply a physical freak. There's no denying that. Whether that translates into good NFL RB materiel is a different story. So far, IMO, Bush hasn't shown me enough to qualify as a good NFL back. Not to say he's not getting there though.

I was able to see Stewart in real live action twice against the Huskies, and all I can say is that he's NFL materiel.

But hey, we have Rashard Mendenhall. Tell Reggie, D-Mac and Jon to suck it!

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM

That formation reminded me of most of the spread offenses in college but without the threat of a real passer. Most of the plays went either way off tackle or to the outside. It was similar how Mularkey and Whiz used to line up Randle El or Ward up in the shotgun and run, but they were not true RB's.

Reggie Bush was successful as a change of pace back when Duce McAllister was running the ball between the tackles. I think McFadden will be similar. Somebody like Michael Bush will have to do most of the work up the middle, while McFadden will be a guy that will get his yards on the outside and receiving out of the backfield.

Al Davis is infatuated with speed and that's why McFadden was the top RB taken of him, Stewart and Mendenhall. He took Fabian Washington because of the speed and passed on CB Mike Haynes back in the day because his 40 time wasnt great.

Elvis
05-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I think that Stewart could be Rookie Of The Year this year in Carolina. The guy is in a great postion in Carolina and with Delhome coming back, if he is back to his true self, then Stewart can give them something they have never had in my opinion and that is Run/Pass Ballance.
:hatsoff:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Was just watching NFL Network and Brian Baldinger had an assessment of McFadden that is pretty much what I said.

Baldinger said that McFadden has no comparison to Peterson, he is fast, but when the Razorbacks needed tough yards between the tackles they often gave the ball to Felix Jones. McFadden is an outside runner and you need to run inside in the NFL according to Baldinger.

We may both end up being wrong, but I think Mendenhall and Stewart will turn out to be better RB's in the pros and again the Raiders will pay a lot for an underperforming draft pick in McFadden.

Galax Steeler
06-05-2008, 04:01 AM
We may both end up being wrong, but I think Mendenhall and Stewart will turn out to be better RB's in the pros and again the Raiders will pay a lot for an underperforming draft pick in McFadden.

I hope you are right about Mendenhall we need someone with power running inside.