PDA

View Full Version : The issue of hair back on the table

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-19-2008, 11:34 PM
PA-LEASE this is it this is the most important thing they can discuss. You'd think they'd have more pressing issues like the Cheatriots.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2008/05/18/straightening_out_the_hair/

HAIR ISSUE IS BACK ON THE TABLE
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2008, 12:05 p.m.

The proposal to reel in free-flowing hair was tabled at league meetings in March. Now, as owners prepare to meet in Atlanta on Tuesday, the issue is back on the table, according to Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe.

Its now clear that the rule doesnt require players to cut their hair. Instead, theyd merely be required to tuck it inside their helmets.

But such a measure raises questions regarding safety. Does the tucking of a big chunk of hair into a helmet create issues with the fit and/or performance of the device?

I think the thing that would concern us the most would be the safety issue, to try to confine and put that much hair under the helmet, because as we know, we have concussions, which is a big issue with the players, NFLPA president Kevin Mawae told Reiss.

A lot of that is determined by the type of helmet and making sure the helmets are properly fitted. The concern was that if players had to bind their hair, or tuck it in, how would that affect the safety worthiness of the helmets?

Even if the safety issue can be resolved, were still not sure that the tucking of hair into a helmet solves the problem. What if the player refuses? Article VII of the CBA plainly states that no player will be disciplined because of hair length. If the player wont tuck the hair, and if he then gets in trouble for it, isnt he being disciplined for hair length?

In our view, its a matter better left for negotiations with the union. But since the league would then have to make a concession in order to get a revision to the rule, the league would surely prefer to find a way to impose a rule unilaterally.

profootballtak

.com

Galax Steeler
05-20-2008, 04:08 AM
I wish they would just drop this topic if the player choose to wear the long hair then let them wear it they know they are taking a chance of getting pulled down by it.

TroysBadDawg
05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
If they want long hair let them just another thing to grab when dragging them down, it goes for all players. What ever happened to the crew cut? Am I that old?

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
If they want long hair let them just another thing to grab when dragging them down, it goes for all players. What ever happened to the crew cut? Am I that old?

Yes, you're that old but I agree - what happen to the crew cut.

The NFL has two problems here if they continue to look at long hair. One if you allow the player to be pulled down by the hair, then isn't that the same as a horse collar tackle and two if you police hair, then you've got control issues.