PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Network Top 10 Receiving Corps

Carolina Steelers
05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Anyone surprised that Lynn & Stallworth did not make the list. I know they didnt have the numbers or stats but 4 Superbowls 1 reason they said they didnt make the list also no tight end. Sometimes you got to look beyond the Stats!!!

NJarhead
05-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Anyone surprised that Lynn & Stallworth did not make the list. I know they didnt have the numbers or stats but 4 Superbowls 1 reason they said they didnt make the list also no tight end. Sometimes you got to look beyond the Stats!!!

I must've missed this one. Who were the top ten?

Carolina Steelers
05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
10. Colts- Harrison, Wayne, Clark,James
9. Vikings- Moss, Carter, Reed
8. Redskins- Clark, Monk, Sanders
7. Dolphins- Clayton, Duper
6. 70's Raiders Corps
5. 60's Redskins Corps
4. 80's 49ers- Taylor, Rice
3. 50's Rams
2. Greatest Show on Turf- Bruce, Holt, Faulk
1. Chargers- Joyner, Jefferson, Winslow, Chandler

millwalldavey
05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow.

Swann and Stallworth deserve to be on that list as much as the 70' s Raiders and their 1 Super Bowl. The other ones, I could see... maybe not the Redskins of the 60's.

That's a pretty good list, at least stats-wise. I count 9 total Super Bowls among the list however. Our 4 would look nice in there.

NJarhead
05-20-2008, 08:21 PM
I agree. There is definitely room for LS and JS on that list.

steelreserve
05-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't like how they gave the top spot to a bunch of guys who didn't win anything. I mean, come on. At least ONE Super Bowl should be a requirement to get the top spot.

Not sure who I'd bump, but the Steelers deserve to be in there somewhere.

Also, I'd say Rice and Taylor deserve higher than #4. They completely forgot to mention that Dwight Clark was on the team, although I think he was only with those two for a couple years. Also, Roger Craig would routinely have 70 or 80 catches, and once even got 1,000 receiving yards out of the backfield. That at least puts that group even with the Rams at #2 -- probably ahead, since they actually won more Super Bowls.

Galax Steeler
05-21-2008, 03:23 AM
That is hard to belive that the steelers didn't make the list.
:jawdrop:

fansince'76
05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Disagree with the fact that Swann and Stallworth weren't mentioned, but not surprised considering how long both of them were passed over for HoF induction. I think the Steelers' rep of being a smashmouth, run-it-up-the-gut team hurts them also.

lilyoder6
05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
the greatest show on earth was a good team when they were intacted... now they are just slithering away

Steeldude
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
that is odd indeed. stallworth and swann made the steelers' air game work. they were a huge part of 4 SB titles.

cubanstogie
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't like how they gave the top spot to a bunch of guys who didn't win anything. I mean, come on. At least ONE Super Bowl should be a requirement to get the top spot.

Not sure who I'd bump, but the Steelers deserve to be in there somewhere.

Also, I'd say Rice and Taylor deserve higher than #4. They completely forgot to mention that Dwight Clark was on the team, although I think he was only with those two for a couple years. Also, Roger Craig would routinely have 70 or 80 catches, and once even got 1,000 receiving yards out of the backfield. That at least puts that group even with the Rams at #2 -- probably ahead, since they actually won more Super Bowls.

I actually agree with Chargers #1, those guys were phenominal. I have a problem with Moss, Carter and Reed. What did they have, one good year. Swann and Stallworth are all over Super Bowl highlights and should have been a lock.

Rhee Rhee
05-21-2008, 11:21 PM
two HOFers with another HOF in the backfield it's tough to get touches but they did it. I still cant believe they didn't make it.

i honestly believe the guys on NFL network know next to nothing about football especially marshall faulk.

ace man 21
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Wow.

Swann and Stallworth deserve to be on that list as much as the 70' s Raiders and their 1 Super Bowl. The other ones, I could see... maybe not the Redskins of the 60's.

That's a pretty good list, at least stats-wise. I count 9 total Super Bowls among the list however. Our 4 would look nice in there.

yea

kstro123
06-24-2008, 07:20 AM
The Steelers with Swann & Stallworth were not really a big "STATS" passing team...but they were a BIG game play making team

jjpro11
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
WOW.. is there any place where we can "politely" tell them they are wrong?

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
okay, stallworth and swann were not that good. i know everyone is just gonna say i don't know anything.

i am not arguing the super bowl dominance of the steelers passing game, can't argue that. but the steelers passing game was mostly dormant during the regular season. for instance, in 1976 lynn swann lead them with 28 catches. 28!

Their best season as a great receiving tandem was 1979 when they combined for 111 catches. Here's a list of players with more than 111 catches in a season: Marvin Harrison (twice), Herman Moore, Cris Carter (twice), Isaac Bruce, Jerry Rice (twice), Jimmy Smith (twice), Torry Holt, Rod Smith, T.J. Housmandzadeh (yeah him), Wes Welker, ya boy Hines Ward and Sterling Sharpe. Now I know these numbers are kinda skewed because the passing game was revolutionized in the 80s. But i'm using it as a reference point.

for his career stallworth only had 3 70+ catch seasons and 3 1000+ yard season, and only ONE of those was during the 70s (1979). never lead the league in a significant receiving category. for his career is not in the top 50 in any significant receiving category.

and lynn swann is the most overrated player of all time. he only had more than 50 catches in 2 seasons. he had more seasons with less than 30 catches than he had more than 50. here's a short list of players with more career receptions than lynn swann: kyle brady, del shofner, gail cogdill, qadry ismail, riley odoms. Jake Reed, Cris Carter and Randy Moss(#10 in the list) al have at least 100 more career receptions. yes, amazing clutch super bowl catches. So are we going to put david tyree and plaxico burress on the list too? Is mike jones one of the greatest linebackers of all time? Timmy Smith a Hall of Fame running back? come on.

70s steelers had a great line, running game, linebacking corp, an AMAZING defensive line and great secondary. i'm positive they would be in the top ten rushing attacks, d-lines and linebacking corps(they already did) of all-time. but not in receiving corps. those super bowls were won mostly with the running game and defense. Only once did that defense give up more than 20 points in a super bowl. look past super bowls.

what you should be really upset about is Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell getting snubbed.

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
i know everyone is just gonna say i don't know anything.

You're right.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 09:20 PM
lol i love how u guys just say stuff without any facts to back it up

NJarhead
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Really??? How long have you been here?

You make your first post ever on this Steelers forum (THE Steelers Forum) about how Lynn Swann and John Stallworth were "not that good" and you expected a different response???

You sound about one thought short of a brain Bud.

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 09:25 PM

And I love how folks come in here and try to compare players between vastly different and disparate eras. I could mention the old Mark Twain quote regarding lies and statistics, but I'll skip it.

Lynn Swann joined the Steelers in 1974 just as they were embarking on a winning binge that produced six straight AFC Central Division titles and four Super Bowl championships in six years. A former USC All-America, Swann was the Steelers’ No. 1 draft pick and 21st player selected overall in the 1974 NFL Draft.

As a rookie, Swann led the NFL in punt returns with 577 yards on 41 returns, which at that time was a club record and fourth best in NFL history. He did see limited action as a wide receiver, particularly in late season, and his touchdown catch in the AFC championship game against the Oakland Raiders proved to be a game-winner and set the stage for things to come.

Blessed with gazelle-like speed, fluid movements and a tremendous leaping ability, Swann became a regular at wide receiver in his second year. Immediately he demonstrated that he was a complete player with phenomenal natural abilities.

That season, he recorded 49 catches for 781 yards and a league-high 11 touchdowns and then finished off the season with a flourish by winning Most Valuable Player honors in the Steelers’ 21-17 Super Bowl X victory over the Dallas Cowboys. For his part, Swann contributed four receptions for a then-Super Bowl record 161 yards. Included was a spectacular 64-yard catch and run that produced the winning touchdown.

Born in Alcoa, Tennessee, on March 7, 1952, Lynn played nine seasons with the Steelers. His lifetime chart showed 336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 touchdowns. His combined total of 364 receiving yards in four games ranked first in Super Bowl history at the time of his retirement.

Named All-Pro in 1975, 1977, and 1978, Swann was also voted to the Pro Bowl after each of those seasons. One of the most exciting players of his time, Swann was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s, and to the Super Bowl Silver Anniversary Team.

....the steelers passing game was mostly dormant during the regular season.

A league-leading 11 TDs (in a 14-game season) in his first full season as a starter (1975). Not bad for a "dormant passing game," huh? Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. :coffee:

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
first off, i don't know why you bolded the punt return thing, that has nothing to do with this topic. and it wasn't a league-leading 11 touchdowns, it was a tie for the league lead in touchdown catches (which btw, 11 is the second-lowest total for a league-leader in touchdown catches since 1959, congradulations on having a respectable stat in a down year). and im aware he was on the all-decade team and hall of fame which is why i say he is the most overrated player of all time. he averaged 3 catches per game and you're saying he's part of a dominating passing corp?

and yes, dorment passing game. terry bradshaw, who i do consider the best qb of the 70s, only reached 300 yards passing 4 times in the regular season in his career. terry did, however, throw a lot of touchdowns; mainly as a result of franco harris moving the ball down the field and sucking the safeties up. take your blinders off.

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
first off, i don't know why you bolded the punt return thing, that has nothing to do with this topic. and it wasn't a league-leading 11 touchdowns, it was a tie for the league lead in touchdown catches (which btw, 11 is the second-lowest total for a league-leader in touchdown catches since 1959, congradulations on having a respectable stat in a down year). and im aware he was on the all-decade team and hall of fame which is why i say he is the most overrated player of all time. he averaged 3 catches per game and you're saying he's part of a dominating passing corp?

and yes, dorment passing game. terry bradshaw, who i do consider the best qb of the 70s, only reached 300 yards passing 4 times in the regular season in his career. terry did, however, throw a lot of touchdowns; mainly as a result of franco harris moving the ball down the field and sucking the safeties up. take your blinders off.

You said he "wasn't very good," that's why I included the the punt return stats which at the time was 4th-best in NFL history, and he did it as a rookie. He made big catches in big games numerous times despite playing on a truly run first team in a RUN FIRST era. He wouldn't have made those catches in the first place if he "wasn't very good." In fact, I'd be willing to bet you weren't even born when he hung up the cleats, whereas I actually WATCHED him play. Feel free to pull your head out of your fantasy football magazine anytime now. :coffee:

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
all i'm saying is it was a run-first team and they ran very very good. they ran all the way to the super bowl 4 times. but the fact is the steelers receiving corp never dominated the league like all 10 teams on this list did. except the 70s raiders, i do not agree with that at all.

you say the 60s redskins don't deserve to be on the list? Sonny Jurgensen lead the league in passing yards 5 times during the 60s and twice had over 30 touchdown passes.

In fact, i would say that they're not even the best receiving corp in steelers history. Ward, Burress and Randle el from 01-03 were much better and more productive.

and dude u were like 8 when he was productive don't talk like you were analyzing it.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
and feel free to get rid of your naive steelers hard-on anytime now

NJarhead
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm guessing you're this "naive steelers hard-on" then because we may feel free to take your advice just yet.

Why are you here again?

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
all i'm saying is it was a run-first team and they ran very very good. they ran all the way to the super bowl 4 times. but the fact is the steelers receiving corp never dominated the league like all 10 teams on this list did. except the 70s raiders, i do not agree with that at all.

you say the 60s redskins don't deserve to be on the list? Sonny Jurgensen lead the league in passing yards 5 times during the 60s and twice had over 30 touchdown passes.

In fact, i would say that they're not even the best receiving corp in steelers history. Ward, Burress and Randle el from 01-03 were much better and more productive.

and dude u were like 8 when he was productive don't talk like you were analyzing it.

I saw it firsthand, and didn't read a bunch of crap about it in a magazine, that's all I'm saying. I think even as an 8-year-old I could tell pretty good players from not-so-good ones. I already said earlier in this very thread (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=399939#post399939) that Swann and Stallworth's reps (not to mention their numbers), both suffered due to the Steelers' being a run-first, run often, smashmouth team, and even moreso as their careers become more distant in time. You're living proof of that by coming here and trying to tell me that they "weren't very good" WRs when you obviously never saw them play yourself. I know better, sorry.

The Duke
07-30-2008, 11:09 PM

and how many super bowls did this group win?

stallworth and swann?

I never saw them play live, but I can certainly say they were better, and not at all overated

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
and feel free to get rid of your naive steelers hard-on anytime now

I see something firsthand, and I have a "naive Steelers hard-on" - you get it secondhand as you weren't even born yet, but you're the expert. Whatever, junior. Feel free to drop the know-it-all attitude anytime now, especially considering that you've done nothing here besides talk out of your ass. :coffee:

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 11:23 PM
lol dude it's not all about how many super bowls they won. swann and stallworth benefited from a great defense and running game. People don't say "well the cowboys had great linebackers, they won 3 super bowls." its not all a function of itself. And you're saying "well, they woulda had better numbers but they were run-first" what are you even talking about? the list is about receiving corps that dominated their era. this passing game did not dominate. the defense did, the running game did. do you guys honestly think that the steelers receiving corp deserves to be above any of the ones on the list?

and talk out of my ass....with numbers and facts? dude i don't care how old you are. you're the one talking like the know-it-all

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
this passing game did not dominate. the defense did, the running game did.

Yet you said you thought Bradshaw was the best QB of the '70s. Whatever.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
he was, he was efficent. he was the winning qb on 4 super bowl teams in a decade, but it doesn't mean that everyone on the team is a hall of famer. i didn't say he dominated everyone. name another noteworthy qb of the 70s besides stabler and staubach anyway.

and whatever? lol you sound more like an 8th grade girl than this old steelers fan lol

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 11:32 PM
name another noteworthy qb of the 70s besides stabler and staubach anyway.

Griese, Tarkenton, Bert Jones.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 11:36 PM
i'll give ya greise and tarkenton, although i always think of the 60s with fran. but bert "never won a playoff game" jones? can't say him in the same breath with the others.

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
i'll give ya greise and tarkenton, although i always think of the 60s with fran. but bert "never won a playoff game" jones? can't say him in the same breath with the others.

I thought we were keeping postseason performance outta this? I watched Jones play - he was a very good QB on otherwise mediocre teams. That's something you don't get from Pro Football Reference.com or wherever you're pulling your numbers from.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
i never said that, what i said was that swann gets too much bias based on his a few super bowl catches. swann did make clutch catches in huge games, i never said he didn't. and i do think stallworth is a deservant hall of famer. i'm saying that this receiving corp did not strike fear into defenses the way these other ones did.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-30-2008, 11:48 PM
how about this then, the legendary bert jones has as many pro bowls as the eternal brian greise does lol. im talkin about hall of famers here and youre giving me bert jones. i put him in the same thought as archie manning, good QB yes but not a quarterback to encapsulate a decade.

fansince'76
07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
i'm saying that this receiving corp did not strike fear into defenses the way these other ones did.

Yeah, OK.

Hgc7LI9zk7o

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
lol you coulda done the same thing and put up the doug williams second quarter on there? are the 91 redskins in the top ten too?

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 12:05 AM
lol you coulda done the same thing and put up the doug williams second quarter on there? are the 91 redskins in the top ten too?

You're right, championship games shouldn't count in judging players. Of course Doug Williams has 4 rings too. Swann and Stallworth never did anything during the regular season and just "turned it on " for the Super Bowls they played in, especially against Dallas and the Doomsday D. Whatever.

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
but you just told me that bert jones was great he was just on bad teams. but it can't work the other way around?

whatever girlfriend

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 12:10 AM
but you just told me that bert jones was great he was just on bad teams. but it can't work the other way around?

whatever girlfriend

You're the one who came in here discounting postseason play, junior. :coffee:

MstrBlstrBHC3
07-31-2008, 12:42 AM
i didn't discount it old man i said its created a biased mythological setting around swann

besides theres a huge difference between quarterbacks and receivers in the playoffs

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 12:49 AM
i didn't discount it old man i said its created a biased mythological setting around swann

Evidently it didn't, because he didn't make the list, now did he? I wish I was such an expert about things I wasn't even around to see.

HometownGal
07-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Reading this thread, I can only come to one conclusion.

Life would be a ding-a-derry . . . .

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_home/the_wizard_of_oz/ray_bolger/wizardofoz1.jpg

St33lersguy
08-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Swann and Stallworth should be on that list. Maybe the idiots on NFL Network studio should have condidered the following.
1. In the SuperBowl they made plays when they needed to. Those two made clutch plays.
2.They may not have had stats but they were on a run first pass second team. Over half those corps were on pass happy teams and certainly none of those cteams ran the ball as much as the Steelers did.
3.Unlike over half those teams on the list Swann and Stallworth played at a time where a reciever could get manhandled. Were the Chargers Air coryell before the rule changes. Evidence suggests no. Obviously some corps have thrived before the changes but I want to see these other corps before '78.