PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News Highlights AFC North

Elvis
05-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Thought that everyone might find this interesting

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/ravens/index.html)
First-round quarterback Joe Flacco and second-round running back Ray Rice were both impressive in minicamp, but third-round tackle Oniel Cousins was another Ravens offensive rookie opening many eyes. If Cousins continues to play well, it would open many doors for the Ravens.
They would like Cousins to start at right tackle because that would free up Marshal Yanda, the starting right tackle a year ago, to move to his natural position of right guard. The Ravens would then insert Ben Grubbs at left guard, and move current starting left guard Jason Brown to center.
Cousins is very athletic as a converted defensive lineman. He has quick feet and his hips open up well in pass protection. Cousins also has a strong punch. During minicamp, the Ravens also worked him at left tackle. He is a very versatile performer.
Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/bengals/index.html)
First-round draft pick Keith Rivers was clearly the most impressive player at rookie minicamp because he was in his comfort zone at weakside linebacker. He showed tremendous speed, range and burst as he sifted through the line of scrimmage and flowed to the ball on run plays. He also did a good job of dropping into coverage and getting in the right position on pass plays. All signs point to an easy transition to the NFL because of his ability to read, react and separate from blockers.
Rivers is an aggressive player who will be tempted to overpursue, but his talent and leadership skills should land him in the starting lineup. "Some of the things he did are innate, by gathering the group and every time he's not in a meeting, he's watching tape," coach Marvin Lewis said. "That has impressed me about him. He already gets it."
Cleveland Browns (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/browns/index.html)
Tight end Martin Rucker made a strong first impression at rookie minicamp. The fourth-round pick showed the polish one would expect of a player who had a long, prolific career as a starter at University of Missouri, and was a key man in one of the nation's top offenses in 2007.
Rucker showed good quickness and speed and made sharp cuts. He made seamless transitions from catching to turning upfield. He looked good catching balls away from his body. He remains suspect as a blocker, because he didn't need to line up as a conventional tight end for the Tigers.
Rucker says he is willing to put his hand on the ground next to a tackle and mix it up. It will help him get on the field if he can do that, because the Browns don't want to expose top tight end Kellen Winslow to too much pounding, given his injury-checkered past.
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/steelers/index.html)
The presence of wide receiver Limas Sweed, the second-round pick from the University of Texas, created an instant stir, if only because of the possibilities and versatility he can bring to the Steelers' offense. At 6-5 1/2, 219 pounds, Sweed is the type of tall, tough receiver who can run across the middle -- a role performed well by four-time Pro Bowler Hines Ward, who is much smaller. But Sweed also has the speed to beat coverage down the middle of the field. If Sweed develops quickly, he can turn a good unit into a great one. "Limas gives us versatility," wide receiver Nate Washington said. "Teams are going to have to respect our jump balls now."

Elvis
05-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Is Nate Washington even at camp this time around? I heard that he wasnt even at the first OTA. I think I like Sweed more and more the more I hear about the young man.
:tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Nate can see the writing on the wall, he HAS to be at every camp possible. His job is on the line. Its time Nate steps up or is shipped out and he knows it. I'm glad we got a young stud in here to motivate Nate to work harder and get better.

vasteeler
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Nate can see the writing on the wall, he HAS to be at every camp possible. His job is on the line. Its time Nate steps up or is shipped out and he knows it. I'm glad we got a young stud in here to motivate Nate to work harder and get better.

i think thats just what it will do. I think Nate will have a great year:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
By the end of training camp it will be:

1- Ward
2- Holmes
3- Sweed
4- Washington
5- Baker

Elvis
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
i think thats just what it will do. I think Nate will have a great year:tt02:

Nate is so inconsistent I dont think that he will beat out Sweed for long. I think that Sweed will not be a 3rd reciever this season, but if Nate doesnt step up there is always Sweed standing there to take his job. I also like what I have heard about Dallas Baker.
:helmet:

lilyoder6
05-22-2008, 10:03 PM
nate is a good wr but does make some mistakes.. sweed develops into a wr we all hope our 4 wide-outs would be amazing

Preacher
05-23-2008, 12:55 AM
By the end of training camp it will be:

1- Ward
2- Holmes
3- Sweed
4- Washington
5- Baker

Actually...

From the sounds of it.. it may be

1. Ward
2. Holmes
3. Sweed
4. Baker
5. Washington

Galax Steeler
05-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Actually...

From the sounds of it.. it may be

1. Ward
2. Holmes
3. Sweed
4. Baker
5. Washington

I've heard that baker is making an impresion in camp he was catching everything thrown his way.

KeiselPower99
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I think Baker will overtake Nate during camp. Still I think we will have 5 very good wideouts and then add in Heath and Matt Spaeth ....I dare say a very dangerous passing attack.

The Duke
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Baker taking nate's job??

nate has shown he can play. it's good baker is having a good offseason, but it will take more than that to be the #4 receiver

now him taking reid's job? I'd call it a given, lol :flap:

HughC
05-30-2008, 05:37 PM
When you get down to a #4 or #5 WR, the most critical part of that player's performance is how he performs on special teams. Doesn't make sense to worry about how many passes these two are going to catch.