PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian Giant?

Haiku_Dirtt
05-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Expectations are in check. Another Okobi? Doubt it. But being high on Kemo is a window closing.

Or perhaps a late bloomer ready to come of age?

But contradicting Faneca is like having a window fall on your neck. Or was Alan just being nice?

For THIS roster the short leash should look more like a noose.

I'd like to think Kemo is just a late bloomer.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_568925.html

Galax Steeler
05-23-2008, 04:25 AM
After skipping all workouts except for a required minicamp last spring, Alan Faneca is back working out with his teammates -- the New York Jets.

The seven-time Pro Bowl guard left a huge hole in the Steelers' offensive line when he signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Jets this year. Chris Kemoeatu is a large man trying to fill it and hopes to get back on the field to resume that job Tuesday when the Steelers resume practice.

"It's a big step, some big shoes to fill," said Kemoeatu, who did not practice during the team's three workouts this week because of a hamstring injury. "All I can do is come to work every day, watch film and practice to the best of my ability and just try to be me."

And who might that be? For one, Kemoeatu stands 6 feet 3 and weighs a listed 344 pounds, although he may tip the scale a tad over that. That's two inches shorter and at least 37 pounds more than Faneca.

"He's a big, powerful man," coach Mike Tomlin said.

For another, Kemoeatu has been around the past three seasons, ever since the Steelers drafted him on the fifth round in 2005 from Utah despite a few on-field temper tantrums he threw in college.

"I had some issues with it in college," Kemoeatu recounted yesterday. "I kicked some dude in the face, and the following week I did the same thing."

If he still has that kind of temper, it rarely surfaced on the field with the Steelers, but then he only has started two games in three years, none last year.

"I think I've really calmed down, plus I haven't been in there playing that much," said Kemoeatu. "That's helped me calm down as far as controlling myself mentally."

Tomlin does not mind if Kemoeatu uses his temper, as long as it does not get the better of him.

"You like guys who have the potential to fly off the handle within the rules of the game," Tomlin said. "It's a tough game, it's a tough-man's game. He's a tough man. He hasn't shown me that he's incapable of controlling that. If anything, he uses it as a weapon."

Said Kemoeatu: "I'm trying not to [lose control], but it's a physical game and sometimes you get carried away and you just react. I'm definitely at a different level now; if you do something like that, you're going to pay for it."

His coaches believe he is ready. Larry Zierlein, his line coach, thought he was ready last season when Kemoeatu almost beat out veteran Kendall Simmons to start at right guard.

"I'll tell you what: I have a lot of confidence in that guy," Zierlein said. "Aside from the physical thing, he's a big kid. He was ready to play last year. He was ready, and Kendall kind of won the thing, but it was close.'

Close decisions usually go to the incumbent, but there is none at left guard, where Kemoeatu will try to make people forgive the Steelers for letting Faneca get away.

Kemoeatu ran for the first time this week yesterday and practiced getting off the line of scrimmage. He hopes to return to the practice field Tuesday.

"He has a better understanding of what's going on maybe than you think," said Tomlin, noting Kemoeatu's otherwise quiet nature.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08144/884230-66.stm

Tankus_Maximus
05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Man, I'd like to see Kemo start at guard, with Hartwig at center, and Simmons at right guard.

KEMO!
KEMO!
KEMO!
KEMO!

steelwall
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I have said on several occasions I appreciate AF's service to the Steelers, but am I the only one to see his game drop off a few notches in the last 2 seasons? Not to mention the fact he was a distraction, with all his public complaints. IMO we are better off without him. I may get flamed for that remark, but I personally think the locker room and the organization itself has one less head ache.

fansince'76
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I have said on several occasions I appreciate AF's service to the Steelers, but am I the only one to see his game drop off a few notches in the last 2 seasons? IMO we are better off without him.

No, you're not. I appreciated Faneca's years with the Steelers as well, but I agree with you that it was in the best interest of both the Steelers and Faneca that he move on.

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Good article. I'm starting to rally behind these Hawai natives that always seem to become contributing factors for this franchise. Big shoes to fill, but if he uses that temper intelligently he could be a force...

Mistah_Q
05-23-2008, 02:22 PM
No, you're not. I appreciated Faneca's years with the Steelers as well, but I agree with you that it was in the best interest of both the Steelers and Faneca that he move on.Given what he was wedged in between I'm not surprised at his dropoff the last two seasons, nor will I be surprised when he looks like an elite pro bowler wedged in between Ferguson and Mangold

paw-n-maul-u
05-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Given what he was wedged in between I'm not surprised at his dropoff the last two seasons, nor will I be surprised when he looks like an elite pro bowler wedged in between Ferguson and Mangold

Hate to burst your bubble but D-Brick was awwwful last year. And mangold is still young. I'm sure they'll play better with Faneca inbetween them.

But you would assume that he would have made Mahan better as well ... or maybe, he didn't care about being here anymore. Either way, it would have been more wise to keep faneca instead of starks, but he did eventually have to go

tony hipchest
05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
funny thing about fans perception of players like kemoeatu. upon being drafted he was perceived as a "scrub with character problems". soon he was looked at as a "beast with a nasty streak".

then a scrub back up who couldnt learn the playbook. now he is back to being a "beast" again. (the same thing was seen with willie colon.)

just goes to show how fickle us fans can be with virtually nothing on tape to base our opinions on.

Mistah_Q
05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
funny thing about fans perception of players like kemoeatu. upon being drafted he was perceived as a "scrub with character problems". soon he was looked at as a "beast with a nasty streak".

then a scrub back up who couldnt learn the playbook. now he is back to being a "beast" again. (the same thing was seen with willie colon.)

just goes to show how fickle us fans can be with virtually nothing on tape to base our opinions on.My biggest worry with Kemoeatu is that. . usually you want your left guard to be able to pull, and I don't know how in the world Kemo is going to be able to do that

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
My biggest worry with Kemoeatu is that. . usually you want your left guard to be able to pull, and I don't know how in the world Kemo is going to be able to do that

Great point...I hadn't even thought about that until your mentioning of it....I do like him starting at the position this year, but its a given that our O-Line will continue to be addressed. Maybe we survive and have a successful season until then, but next draft if the issue isn't addressed right off the bat i'll be surprised

KeiselPower99
05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I want an O line with a nasty streak. I loved Faneca and sad to see him go but his complaints the last year really irked me and Im glad it wont be a distraction anymore. Kemo will be fine may need to get lighter but he will bring something we need to that oline. :tt02::tt:

Welcome To Smashmouth
05-23-2008, 05:18 PM
he will bring something we need to that oline. :tt02::tt:

a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e

Elvis
05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Given what he was wedged in between I'm not surprised at his dropoff the last two seasons, nor will I be surprised when he looks like an elite pro bowler wedged in between Ferguson and Mangold
:rofl::applaudit:
Sorry Mistah.. but that is the biggest joke I have heard in years...:laughing:
Jeff Hartings took Faneca under his wings and made Faneca what he was the last few years of Hartings career, and then when he had to play with a below average center like Mahan he didnt look that great did he?.. I hope that he has the same success that Neil O' Donnell had in N.Y. my self
:hatsoff:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-23-2008, 08:24 PM
My biggest worry with Kemoeatu is that. . usually you want your left guard to be able to pull, and I don't know how in the world Kemo is going to be able to do that

I was thinking the same thing. In my opinion Kemo will be a better fight at right guard and we can move Kendall to the left side,

19ward86
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
i have faith that chris will be a solid guard.

Steel Buckeye
05-24-2008, 11:56 PM
I like Kemo, he played really well in 2006. My only concern is that he is really, really fat and could be a lot slower and less athletic than Faneca. I think he will do well because he won't be playing half-assed like Faneca has since SBXL.

Aussie_steeler
05-25-2008, 12:11 AM
If the new starting center (who ever that is??) can hold his own against the AFC Nose tackles better than Mahan then I think almost any of the guards on the roster would blossom. The role of the guards is not to pick up the mess left behind by an inept center. Kemo, Kendall or whoever will be just fine dependant on Hartwig / stapleton or even Legursky.

Steelman16
05-25-2008, 03:22 AM
I think we're going to have a much better O-line than last year, and not because of a few added offensive weapons. Consistency is a big factor for many things, along with pruning. (ahem...Mahan...) I'd take a younger guy who hasn't played much, but has a fire under his butt, than a vet who could care less anymore any day of the week.

Kemo will fine for us this year, but I do agree he might be a better fit on the right side.

Rhee Rhee
05-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Good article. I'm starting to rally behind these Hawai natives that always seem to become contributing factors for this franchise. Big shoes to fill, but if he uses that temper intelligently he could be a force...

and there is a good talent still to come from hawaii... i posted this name in another section of this forum but Manti Te'o is a name to watch as he's being recruited by every pac-10 school, and florida, colorado, notre dame, texas a&m and he's the #1 rated player at his position (strong side linebacker) by scout.com in 2009...

back to the article on chris kemoeatu... if simmons does not play at a high-level this year, i feel that we made a big mistake to resign him to a pretty big contract...

i would much more like to see our line look something like:
LT: Max

Rhee Rhee
05-25-2008, 05:57 AM

and there is a good talent still to come from hawaii... i posted this name in another section of this forum but Manti Te'o is a name to watch as he's being recruited by every pac-10 school, and florida, colorado, notre dame, texas a&m and he's the #1 rated player at his position (strong side linebacker) by scout.com in 2009...

back to the article on chris kemoeatu... if simmons does not play at a high-level this year, i feel that we made a big mistake to resign him to a pretty big contract... perhaps we could cut him after the season?

i would much more like to see our line look something like:
LT: Marvel Smith
LG: Willie Colon
C: Justin Hartwig
RG: Kendall simmons/chris kemoeatu
RT: Max Starks

Key backups: sean mahan, trai essex

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM

I think you will see that Kemo has good quickness and agility for a man his size.

Coach Z might also mix in a larger percentage of zone blocking schemes to some plays which would allow Parker/Mendenhall to pick their holes or cutbacks.