PDA

View Full Version : Paterno backs college playoff system, calls excuses for absence 'bogus'

SteelCityMan786
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3408761
Paterno backs college playoff system, calls excuses for absence 'bogus'

Associated Press

Updated: May 23, 2008, 12:51 AM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Penn State football coach Joe Paterno is lobbying again for major college football playoff, calling the reasons against it "bogus" less than three weeks after the Bowl Championship Series decided to maintain its current format for the foreseeable future.

The 81-year-old coach said Thursday he doubts if a playoff system would be enacted soon, particularly after a May 5 meeting of the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director ended with a decision to reject a four-team playoff and begin negotiations with the television networks with the current system in place.

"I don't think so right now, and I don't know why," said Paterno, who is entering his 43rd season as Penn State's head coach. "I'm only going to be a head coach another 10 or 15 years, and I don't think it will happen by then."

Paterno, whose contract runs through the upcoming season but has not been extended, laughed at his own joke.

Paterno's pro-playoff stance differs from that of the Big Ten, which has long opposed a playoff. At the May 5 meeting, only the Atlantic Coast Conference and Southeastern Conference commissioners favored continued discussion of SEC commissioner Mike Slive's proposal that would have seeded the top four teams in two BCS bowls and had the winners meet a week later for the national championship. The BCS bowls are the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta.

Those opposing the playoff cited the sanctity of the regular season and the fact the players would be forced to miss too much class time. It could also extend the season into a second semester. Paterno rejected those rationales, noting the highly profitable Division I men's basketball tournament is more disruptive to its players.

"To be frank with you, I don't know what the reasons are not to have a playoff," Paterno said during a speaking appearance in Pittsburgh. "You can talk about missing class and all that kind of stuff, [yet] you see basketball go on forever. You have a lot of bogus excuses, but obviously the majority of people who have the say don't want it."

Paterno also is unhappy with the rules of the coaches' poll, a key element in selecting which teams play in the BCS title game. Coaches are required to vote for the winner of the BCS title game in the final voting, a condition Paterno sees as working against the principle of a voting process.

Paterno has not voted in the coaches' poll since 2004, when he wanted to vote for undefeated Auburn but was forced to vote for Southern California after it won the BCS title game.

"They said, 'Well, you've got to vote or else you can't participate.' So I will not participate in the voting," Paterno said. "Not that I'm against what other people want to do, it's just that philosophically I think you ought to win it on the field. If I have to vote for somebody only because people have said these are the two teams that ought to be in the BCS championship game and I think they left somebody out that probably ought to be in it, that's when I'll feel a playoff ought to be appropriate. I've always been for a playoff."

Steeler in Carolina
05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
College football needs a 16 team playoff.

KeiselPower99
05-24-2008, 11:14 AM
You could do it like you do the Ncaa Basketball tourney. Do 64 teams over a month period. Now granted you might have a few first round blowouts but you give every team from every conference a chance to play for the National title. We all now the reason itll never happen. When every Bowl game has a corporate sponser thats Millions upon Millions of dollars lost if they go to a playoff format.

TackleMeBen
05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
its all about the money, we all know that is why there will never be a playoff system in college football. could you imagine if there had been one and some small college team won the title..lol.

HughC
05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Start off simple with four teams playing the first week of December and then the championship the following week. After that you could still have all the bowl games just like they are now. The five week layoff they have now makes for some crappy games in January. As far as the money goes, whatever is lost from the current championship game should be made up by the three additional games.

HughC
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately the powes that be that want the current system to remain in place will use Paterno's age as an excuse for this being a stupid idea, rather than a good idea from a sensible person.

lilyoder6
05-24-2008, 02:04 PM
i can see a 4/8 team playoff scenrio but u can't have a 65 team tourny like the ncaa basketball does.. that would take to damn long.. b/c between some games are only like 4 days and i think in football u wouldn't be able to play multiple games within days of each other

SteelCityMan786
05-24-2008, 02:49 PM
i can see a 4/8 team playoff scenrio but u can't have a 65 team tourny like the ncaa basketball does.. that would take to damn long.. b/c between some games are only like 4 days and i think in football u wouldn't be able to play multiple games within days of each other

I might suggest this.

16-32 Teams. 4 Max. Per conference for 32, 2 per for 16 out of the majors.

And then have seperate bowl like games for those that couldn't make the playoff, but still had a winning season like they do in D I-AA.

lilyoder6
05-24-2008, 10:39 PM
i would like to see how the bcs would rate the teams to be in the playoffs;..

KeiselPower99
05-25-2008, 12:23 AM
32 teams in a playoff. Then we will have 13 bowl games. Thats 45 teams playing postseason football. Sounds like a fair and honest situation.

HughC
05-25-2008, 09:15 PM
You can have at least eleven weeks of football played by the end of the second week in November. Use the following week for conference championships and/or tradtional rivalry games. That leaves the fourth weekend of November, right after Thanksgiving for the first round of playoffs. Play one game Friday night followed by 12:00, 3:30, and 7:00 games on Saturday. Two games the first week of December and a championship the following week - with teams at their peak rather than playing after a five week layoff.

Everybody's home for the holidays and all the other bowl eligible teams can go on and play their bowl games in the warm weather. For the grand finale on New Year's Day you can get back to the Rose Bowl being the Big 10 champ versus the Pac 10 champ, and do the same with the other big name conferences and big name bowls. Give somebody a chance to knock off the national champs for bragging rights, why not. The January 1st bowls may not pay out as much money but the BCS and NCAA will more than make that up with the seven playoff games.

atlsteelers
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
A playoff will never happen if the status quo continues for the PAC 10 and Big 10. I really respect peterno to admit that the big ten forced him to vote for USC when Auburn went undeafeted and was robbed of a chance to compete in the Championship game. I have even more respect for him that he now refuses to vote in the coaches poll because of the past pressures put on him. the big ten and the pac 10 only care about making money and the stinken rose bowl. I think that the rest of the conferences should break away from the NCAA and leave the PAC 10 and Big 10 out of it and they can have their rosebowl and the rest of college football can figure out the national champion.

atlsteelers
05-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Big Ten has benefited most under BCS system in past decade
By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: May 22, 2008
Comment
Email
Print
If the BCS holds a 10-year anniversary celebration, the Big Ten Conference likely would be first in line for cake.

The league wouldn't leave any crumbs on its plate, either.

[+] EnlargeMatt Sullivan/Getty Images

The Big Ten has done well for itself during the BCS era.

Arguably no conference has benefited more from the BCS than the Big Ten, which has sent the most teams (17) to BCS bowls and, for the most part, maintained its traditional bond with the Rose Bowl. Despite owning the fourth-best record (8-9) in BCS games out of the six power conferences, the Big Ten has sent two teams to BCS bowls in seven of the 10 seasons, including each of the past three.

So don't expect the Big Ten to be picketing for a playoff system anytime soon.

"We have the best of both worlds," said Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, who coached the Badgers to Rose Bowls in 1999 and 2000. "We have a chance to play for a championship and still have our ties to the Rose Bowl. We're in pretty good shape."

Preserving a link to the Rose Bowl has been the biggest priority and the biggest challenge for the Big Ten since the BCS was formed. It also has increased contempt for the league.

The Big Ten sent teams to Pasadena during the first three years of the BCS, but league champ Illinois was bumped to the Sugar Bowl in 2002 when the Rose Bowl hosted the national championship. It marked the first time since 1946 that the game didn't feature the traditional Big Ten vs. Pac-10 matchup.

The Rose Bowl once again didn't feature a Big Ten team in 2003, when league champ Ohio State played for the national title in the Fiesta Bowl. Iowa faced Pac-10 runner-up USC in the Orange Bowl, while Pac-10 champion Washington State took on Big 12 champ Oklahoma in Pasadena.

Rose Bowl executive director Mitch Dorger wasn't thrilled with the matchups, saying at the time, "We learned a lot about the BCS this year and the way it operates."

"The first four years were tough," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "The last four years, we're working much better. We're leaving [the Rose Bowl] more often, but that means we have more opportunity.

"To the extent that there was damage the first four years, we've been able to largely get that back."

Making new inroads to other bowls has certainly helped.

In 2000, Michigan became the first Big Ten team to reach the Orange Bowl since 1977, and the league has more Orange Bowl appearances (three) during the BCS era than in the previous 65 editions of the game (two). Big Ten teams have reached the Sugar Bowl twice since 1999 after getting there just three times before.

"We lost regular access to the Rose Bowl, but we gained three opportunities to play for a national championship," Delany said. "We lost opportunities in the Rose Bowl, but we gained greater access to other major bowls."

The addition of a separate BCS national championship game also has helped the Big Ten, which sent its champion (Ohio State) to both title games and still had an entry in the Rose Bowl.

"We still have an avenue to get there," Alvarez said.

Some see it as a roadblock for the rest of college football.

The Rose Bowl's selection of a three-loss Illinois team in January sparked debate after Big 12 North champion Missouri, a team that had beaten the Illini in the season opener and held the No. 1 ranking at the end of November, was left out of the BCS. Many felt the Rose Bowl should have prioritized matchup over tradition and selected red-hot Georgia to face red-hot USC.

USC's lopsided win over Illinois furthered demand for the Rose Bowl to part with ritual. The Big Ten also has been singled out for its opposition to a plus-one playoff format or any change that would affect its relationship with the Rose Bowl.

Despite the growing clamor for change, the Big Ten doesn't plan to budge.

As a conference without a championship game, Delany and others trumpet the significance of the regular season. Evidence: the Ohio State-Michigan matchup in 2006, which paired the nation's No. 1 and No. 2 teams in arguably the most-anticipated regular-season game in college football history.

"I'm anti-playoff, so the BCS as we see it today is best-case scenario," Purdue coach Joe Tiller said. "College football does have a playoff, and it occurs all year long. Every single game is significant. … I like the format. It's not perfect, but in college football we don't need a playoff. We've got a very healthy game. It's been very good for the Big Ten."

For a league that has had its cake and eaten it throughout the past decade, the current setup is rather sweet.

atlsteelers
05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Another reason the big 10 wants to keep the current system is based on past performances they would stink it up in a playoff system (based on past performances in BCS games)

Four SEC teams have won BCS national championships -- Tennessee in 1998, LSU in 2003, Florida in 2006 and LSU in 2007. No other conference can claim more than two BCS national titles.

And when it comes to overall records in all BCS bowl games, the SEC blows away everybody else with an 11-4 mark. The Pac-10 is 8-4, and the Big East 6-4. The other three major conferences -- Big Ten (8-9), Big 12 (6-8) and ACC (1-9)

revefsreleets
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Jesus H Christ, enough with the SEC nuthugging! Do you guys EVER stop? This is all cyclical, and what comes around goes around. Sometimes the SEC is up, sometimes they are down, just like every other conference and everything in life in general.

Anyway, the Big Ten is protecting a money maker, but they just launched their own network and are raping the carriers for access, so they can't plead poverty. I'm a strong advocate of a playoff, but there's just no way it's ever going to be more than a 4 team, possibly an 8 team system, but either one of those is a hundred times better than the current system.

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
People, you only need the top 8 teams in a playoff game. Team 9 can cry all they want but no one, and I mean no one will listen. the 9th ranked team isn't going to matter. Teams 1 - 8 play it out.
Big 12 sends their champ 2007 Oklahoma
Big East sends their champ 2007 West Virginia
SEC sends their champ 2007 LSU
ACC sends their champ 2007 Va Tech
Pac 10 sends their champ 2007 USC
Big 10 sends their champ 2007 OSU
That gives you six, you have 2 at large bids for your ND or Boise States and that's it folks. 2007 would have been Missouri or Boise State, Probably not Georgia since they didn't even make their conference Title game, same goes for Kansas. So it would have been something like this:
Winner of LSU vs Missouri plays winner of Va Tech vs West Virgina
Winner of Oklahoma vs Boise State plays winner of USC vs OSU

LSU vs Va Tech winner plays Oklahoma vs USC winner
LSU vs USC in the Championship game, or Maybe Va Tech vs Oklahoma.

That'll settle it once and for all on the field. Kansas can cry all they want, but they didn't make their conference title game and neither did georgia. Let 9 play 10 for the "what if" game.

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 11:03 AM
A playoff will never happen if the status quo continues for the PAC 10 and Big 10. I really respect peterno to admit that the big ten forced him to vote for USC when Auburn went undeafeted and was robbed of a chance to compete in the Championship game. I have even more respect for him that he now refuses to vote in the coaches poll because of the past pressures put on him. the big ten and the pac 10 only care about making money and the stinken rose bowl. I think that the rest of the conferences should break away from the NCAA and leave the PAC 10 and Big 10 out of it and they can have their rosebowl and the rest of college football can figure out the national champion.

Hey!

Auburn played the effing CITADEL that year. They didn't deserve a Title Shot. So quit your crying and play some tougher teams.

Oh and Freaking Louisiana Monroe and Louisiana Tech. Cry somewhere else cause I won't have your "should have been us" talk here. look at reality. Reality is you didn't EARN the title shot over the other 2 teams that season.

atlsteelers
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Just face it we will never have a playoff system because of the Big 10. They block it at every oppurtunity.

atlsteelers
05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I am not an auburn fan but if you want to compare schedules here is USC's from 2004
2004 Football Schedule and Results
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
August 28 at Virginia Tech W 24-13 1-0 (0-0)
September 11 Colorado State W 49-0 2-0 (0-0)
September 18 at Brigham Young W 42-10 3-0 (0-0)
September 25 at Stanford W 31-28 4-0 (1-0)
October 9 No. 7 California W 23-17 5-0 (2-0)
October 16 No. 19 Arizona State W 45-7 6-0 (3-0)
October 23 Washington W 38-0 7-0 (4-0)
October 30 at Washington State W 42-12 8-0 (5-0)
November 6 at Oregon State W 28-20 9-0 (6-0)
November 13 Arizona W 49-9 10-0 (7-0)
November 27 Notre Dame W 41-10 11-0 (7-0)
December 4 at UCLA W 29-24 12-0 (8-0)
January 4 vs No. 3 Oklahoma W 55-19 13-0 (8-0)

here is auburn's schedule from the same season

September 4 Louisiana-Monroe W 31-0 1-0 (0-0)
September 11 at Mississippi State W 43-14 2-0 (1-0)
September 18 No. 4 LSU W 10-9 3-0 (2-0)
September 25 Citadel W 33-3 4-0 (2-0)
October 2 at No. 8 Tennessee W 34-10 5-0 (3-0)
October 9 Louisiana Tech W 52-7 6-0 (3-0)
October 16 Arkansas W 38-20 7-0 (4-0)
October 23 Kentucky W 42-10 8-0 (5-0)
October 30 at Mississippi W 35-14 9-0 (6-0)
November 13 No. 5 Georgia W 24-6 10-0 (7-0)
November 20 at Alabama W 21-13 11-0 (8-0)
December 4 at No. 15 Tennessee W 38-28 12-0 (8-0)
January 3 vs No. 10 Virginia Tech W 16-13 13-0 (8-0)

So USC beats a #7 Cal and #19 arizona looks pretty tough to me
Auburn beat a #4 LSU, #5 Georgia, #8 Tennesee (twice)

So which schedule would you prefer to play. Joe pa pointed it out and i just stated the fact the BIg 10 is doing everything in its power to prevent a playoff system. You have to remeber Paterno and Penn State were an independent for such a long time. So he cares more about the well being of college football and not some so much about the big ten.

atlsteelers
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
You all know that i am just giving the Big 10 a hard time, but they do deserve it. plus it just gets boring with no football around. I would just like to see a college football playoff system.

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 01:35 PM
I am not an auburn fan but if you want to compare schedules here is USC's from 2004
2004 Football Schedule and Results
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
August 28 at Virginia Tech W 24-13 1-0 (0-0)
September 11 Colorado State W 49-0 2-0 (0-0)
September 18 at Brigham Young W 42-10 3-0 (0-0)
September 25 at Stanford W 31-28 4-0 (1-0)
October 9 No. 7 California W 23-17 5-0 (2-0)
October 16 No. 19 Arizona State W 45-7 6-0 (3-0)
October 23 Washington W 38-0 7-0 (4-0)
October 30 at Washington State W 42-12 8-0 (5-0)
November 6 at Oregon State W 28-20 9-0 (6-0)
November 13 Arizona W 49-9 10-0 (7-0)
November 27 Notre Dame W 41-10 11-0 (7-0)
December 4 at UCLA W 29-24 12-0 (8-0)
January 4 vs No. 3 Oklahoma W 55-19 13-0 (8-0)

here is auburn's schedule from the same season

September 4 Louisiana-Monroe W 31-0 1-0 (0-0)
September 11 at Mississippi State W 43-14 2-0 (1-0)
September 18 No. 4 LSU W 10-9 3-0 (2-0)
September 25 Citadel W 33-3 4-0 (2-0)
October 2 at No. 8 Tennessee W 34-10 5-0 (3-0)
October 9 Louisiana Tech W 52-7 6-0 (3-0)
October 16 Arkansas W 38-20 7-0 (4-0)
October 23 Kentucky W 42-10 8-0 (5-0)
October 30 at Mississippi W 35-14 9-0 (6-0)
November 13 No. 5 Georgia W 24-6 10-0 (7-0)
November 20 at Alabama W 21-13 11-0 (8-0)
December 4 at No. 15 Tennessee W 38-28 12-0 (8-0)
January 3 vs No. 10 Virginia Tech W 16-13 13-0 (8-0)

What I see is USC Traveling across the Nation week 1 to play at one of the toughest places in College Football to play and winning. I then see them playing 2 teams that are traditional rivals for them and winning, not padding their schedule with cupcakes in a hope of running the table in their conference to go undefeated.

And I HATE USC.

But I don't like cry babies either. If Auburn would have played 1 or 2 BCS Conference teams instead of the patsies (CITADEL!!!!) they played, I'd be right there with you, throw in a Clemson, or a West Virginia, or even a Texas A&M and I'd give them credit, instead, they padded the schedule and ran the table in the SEC. Which, Georgia is a let down every single year, Tennessee is a joke, every year they Choke a big game, every single year but one, 1998 and in that one, they almost lost to Syracuse in what is still one of my favorite games that I've ever seen. So the SEC does cannibilize itself, sure, they are tough, but Miss State and Ole Miss haven't been viable in years. And Vandy? Come on, what a dog they are. So you get up for the Bama game, but you still played a joke of a team in Kentucky, a Houston Nutt coached Arkansas team, joke, and struggled against the same team USC beat week 1 and you got to play them on a nuetral field.

Give the big 10 a hard time, heck I hate PSU more than I hate anything else on the planet and wish them 0 win seasons for the rest of time, but I won't have any of this Auburn got robbed stuff. Not without debate. And I'm throwing out facts. Fact, The Auburn Schedule did NOT Warrant them jumping over the other 2 undefeated teams of the 04 NCAA Football season. Sorry but that's a fact.

revefsreleets
05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
The facts are, if you want REAL respect as a top program, REGARDLESS of what conference you play in, you need to schedule at least one perennial powerhouse school OOC a year, and you NEED TO TRAVEL!!!!!!!

The SEC schools play all their games within a few hundred miles of their schools, and avoid northern schools like the plague. I absolutely guarantee you part of the reason OSU is 0-9 against SEC schools is that they ONLY play them in the Southeast, since no SEC school is going to travel to the Shoe, and they only play the SEC in bowl games, and they are usually the underdog. Plus, OSU has zero interest in a Vanderbilt/Buckeye match-up, they want Bama or Florida or Tennessee, and those schools won't agree to a home/away series with the Bucks.

Sad but very, very true...

atlsteelers
06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I think that Tennesee and OSU are in discussion about a home and away game.

We do play out conference games, we (uga) are going to play a top 10 Arizona State at Arizona State.

However, the biggest reason the Top SEC schools do not travel north to OSU or michigan is because we get all of the competition we need in our own conference. Once you throw in the confernce championship game its brutal. I am a georgia fan look at our schedule for 08. we have two cupcakes to start the season. Georgia southern is like playing youngstown state. but then we get cooking playing at South Carolina, going to Arizona State, then Alabama at home, then Tennesee at home, at Vanderbilt (but dam they have played us really tough the past two seasons, beating us once), then to LSU (you guys at OSU have heard of them - we play might get stuck playing them at night at home when the are pratically unbeatable), the very next week we play Florida, then we go to kentucky, then we go Auburn, then wrap it up with Gatech. IF we win our division we looking at a rematch with either alabama, auburn, or LSU.

So where do we schedule that OSU game. As of right now based on the preason top 25 - 50% of our games are agianst top 25 teams - We play 3 teams in the top 10 Florida, LSU, and Arizona State.

Sat, Aug 30 Georgia Southern Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Central Michigan Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 13 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. 3:30 p.m.
Sat, Sep 20 Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. 8:00 p.m. ABC
Sat, Sep 27 Alabama * Athens, Ga TBA
Sat, Oct 11 Tennessee * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Vanderbilt - Homecoming * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 25 LSU * at Baton Rouge, La. TBA
Sat, Nov 01 Florida * at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Kentucky * at Lexington, Ky. TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA
Sat, Nov 29 Georgia Tech Athens, Ga. TBA

what is sad is how the Big Ten is afraid of a college football playoff. heck they do not even have a conference championship game because the winner of the Big 10 is deecided when michigan and ohio state play.

The last two BCS title games cleary demostrated what happens when the two best teams from the SEC and big ten play each other. We simply kick their butts. You guys are starting to sound like browns fans (just kidding).

atlsteelers
06-06-2008, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=I absolutely guarantee you part of the reason OSU is 0-9 against SEC schools is that they ONLY play them in the Southeast, since no SEC school is going to travel to the Shoe, and they only play the SEC in bowl games, and they are usually the underdog. QUOTE]

Actually when OSU played florida and got demolished the gators we getting 7.5 points.

Florida Gators vs Ohio State Buckeyes 01-08-07
Posted by Rigs
Rigs Profile »

BCS Championship Picks: Florida Gators vs Ohio State Buckeyes

So this is it. This is what it has come down to. After hundreds of games – backdoor covers, blowouts, upsets, overtimes, turnovers, comebacks and John L. Smith – we’ve finally reached the apex of the college football season, the BCS National Championship.

Florida (12-1) will meet Ohio State (12-0) at 8 p.m. on Monday at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, to decide which team will be crowned the King of College Ball. The Buckeyes have gone wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team in the country and opened as a 7.5-point favorite. The line has fluctuated at a few online books, but for the most part it has held firm. It also is available at -7 or -8 at certain shops.

This season the Buckeyes went 9-3 against the spread, and at one point had covered in 12 consecutive games dating back to the 2005-06 season. That’s quite impressive considering that Ohio State was shackled with some monster numbers during that span while holding a very public position in the gambling world.

Florida certainly is a flashy squad. Their speed, on both sides of the ball, is superior to anyone they match up against and is greater than anything that the Buckeyes have faced this year. Urban Meyer is an offensive mastermind, and with over a month to plan for this game he will most likely have an intricate combination of offensive formations perfected for this game. Florida can put pressure on a defense in a variety of ways and they can hang a big number on the board if this turns into a shootout.

If there is a weakness for OSU it could be that their defense – though they performed incredibly this season – is still a bit inexperienced. Florida’s defense is the Forgotten Man in this title tilt. They yielded only two touchdowns per game and are always flying around the ball looking to create momentum-changing turnovers.

The Gators do have holes, though. They were one of the most penalized teams in the country, and if they don’t play disciplined on Monday they don’t stand a chance. Also, kicker Chris Hetland is an accident waiting to happen. He’s an atrocious 1-for-10 on field goals of over 30 yards this season and Meyer has already said that his ineptitude may alter how he calls his game.

On the flip side, Ohio State certainly has the look of a champion. They have played in some huge games over the past two years – most notably against Texas last year and against Michigan this season. They have the requisite playmakers and one of college football’s best Big Game coaches in Jim Tressel. And most importantly, the Buckeyes will have a member of the Legion of Doom in their corner.

The Gators deserve to be on the field with the Buckeyes, no matter what the general betting public thinks. The SEC is no joke and the Gators were the clear-cut top team in the nation’s top conference. Last year I predicted that Texas would beat USC. While I don’t have nearly the same level of confidence in this season’s Florida club, I do think that this game will be more competitive than folks believe. However, beating Ohio State truly would be a monumental feat.

The Florida Gators will challenge the Ohio State Buckeyes for the national title on January 8 when the two teams meet at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale for the BCS Championship Game.

Oddsmakers currently have the Buckeyes listed as 7½-point favorites versus the Gators, while the game’s total is sitting at 46.

Florida Gators +7.5 (-115) / +235 / 46 (-110) Over

Ohio St. Buckeyes -7.5 (-105) / -275 / 46 (-110) Under

revefsreleets
06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
That's one game. One game. And there was a whole huge post about it. What about the other 8?

And playing ASU in Arizona once is cute. The Buckeyes have tough home/away OOS games scheduled every year for the next 12 years, and have for the last 8 or so.

I also don't think the Buckeye's are "afraid" of anything. Why schedule all these tough OOC games if they are afraid. That's called "projection".

The biggest hole in your argument about the SEC being "tough enough", is what happens when it's not? This is all cyclical, and the SEC is, in fact, almost certainly headed for a downturn soon. See: Auburn. If they had scheduled even one tough OOC game that year, they'd have been a lock for the NC game.

And what happens if the Big Ten suddenly has a major resurgence? What if OSU's SOS suddenly jumps up to a top 10 level? Do you think they'll say "Well, we're gonna cancel all our OOC games because our schedule is tough enough"?

Godfather
06-06-2008, 07:40 PM
But I don't like cry babies either. If Auburn would have played 1 or 2 BCS Conference teams instead of the patsies (CITADEL!!!!) they played, I'd be right there with you,

In fairness, they got shafted by an opponent (can't remember who) chickening out of the game at the last moment and forcing them to take whatever replacement was available. And I hate the warchickens with a passion.

JoePa wants a playoff because Penn State has been screwed more often than Britney Spears. And under the current system, the rules aren't consistent--which has always managed to work against Penn State.

I have a playoff system written up on my other computer. I would take the eleven conference champs plus one wild card. Top four teams get byes.

All bowls still exist--the Rose could take the Big Ten and Pac-1 runners up and still have both their tradition and an attractive matchup. The Sugar gets the SEC runner up, the Fiesta gets the Big XII runner up, etc. The major bowls would do a double hosting, ie the Rose gets the championship game and the Sugar and Cotton get the semifinals, and it rotates year to year. Just like one BCS bowl also hosts the BCSCG now.

Godfather
06-06-2008, 08:16 PM
OK, found it. I used the standings from the actual BCS for this instead of my own ranking system (which would have had Mizzou as the wild card and shuffled the conference champions around a bit, but that's not important. Point is how awesome a playoff would be).

1) Ohio State (Big Ten Champ)
2) LSU (SEC Champ)
3) Virginia Tech (ACC Champ)
4) Oklahoma (Big XII Champ)
5) Georgia (Wild Card)
6) Southern Cal (PAC-1 Champ)
7) West Virginia (Big East Champ)
8) Hawaii (WAC Champ)
9) BYU (MWC Champ)
10) Central Florida (CUSA Champ)
11) Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt Champ)
12) Central Michigan (MAC Champ)

Round 1 (December 15)
(hosted by higher seed)

Central Michigan at Georgia
Florida Atlantic at Southern Cal
Central Florida at West Virginia
BYU at Hawaii

Quarterfinals (December 29)
(hosted by Fiesta, Cotton, Peach & Citrus Bowls under dual-hosting system similar to current BCSCG)
(Teams re-seeded)

8 vs. Ohio State
7 vs. LSU
6 vs. Virginia Tech
5 vs. Oklahoma

Semifinals (January 12)
(hosted by Orange & Rose Bowls)

8/1 winner vs. 5/4 winner
7/2 winner vs. 6/3 winner

Championship Game (January 26)
(hosted by Sugar Bowl)

New Year's Bowl games (BCS Bowls)
1) Maximum two teams from same conference
2) All non-playoff teams in the top ten automatically qualify unless it would break rule #1, in which case the lowest team is out.
3) The highest non-playoff team from each B(C)S conference
4) Any coalition member ranked higher than a <strike>B(C)S member</strike> team qualifying under rule #3 qualifies for an automatic at large bid.
5) If rules 1-4 result in more than nine autobids, the lowest team is eliminated even if it's the only qualifier from a <strike>NB</strike> BCS conference.
6) Pairings are based on traditional tie ins.
7) Conference rivals cannot meet.
8) At-large teams are selected by bowls on a rotating basis. Team with national championship game gets last pick.
9) If there aren't enough automatic teams the bowls can select any team with an at large, but no 9-win team may be selected if a 10-win team is available.
10) A team must have 9 wins.

Automatic Qualifiers: Mizzou (Big XII runner-up), Kansas (top ten/at-large), Arizona State (PAC-10 runner-up), Florida (SEC runner-up), Illinois (Big Ten runner-up), BC (ACC runner-up), Boise State (10 wins)--total 7. ASU and Illinois to Rose Bowl, Mizzou to Fiesta (tie in based on higer ranking than Kansas), BC to Orange, Florida to Sugar. Fiesta selects Boise State because of excitement generated by 2006 trip. Orange selects Kansas due to Big Eight history. With its options open, Sugar selects Texas because its large fan base will travel well and the matchup will generate good TV ratings. It has nothing to do with me controlling the scenario and sticking it to Tommy Bowden. No, really, I would never do such a thing, I swear!

Rose Bowl: Arizona State vs. Illinois
Fiesta Bowl: Missouri vs. Boise State
Orange Bowl: Boston College vs. Kansas
Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Texas

The second tier of bowls includes the Peach, the Cotton, the Citrus, and the Gator (my scenario, so no idiotic corporate names). At least seven different conferences must be represented, and teams must have at least 8 wins (unless there aren't enough teams). The 8-win rule takes precedence over conference representation. Bowls pick 1/8, 7/2, 6/3, or 4/5 on a rotating basis. Peach gets first pick this year. Noparticular reason.

Peach: Clemson vs. Air Force
Cotton: Tennessee vs. Texas Tech
Citrus: Wisconsin vs. South Florida
Gator: Virginia vs. Oregon State

The remaining bowls operate on tie-ins, kind of like they do in the actual system. Six-win teams are eligible only after all seven-loss teams in their conference receive bids. If a conference cannot fill all tie-ins, they become at large berths, and a 6-win team cannot be chosen unless all 7-win teams receive bids.

Eligible 7-win (or more) teams: Cincy, Auburn, UConn, Oregon, Wake Forest, Michigan, Arkansas, Florida State, Kentucky, Penn State, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Utah, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Rutgers, Troy, New Mexico, Purdue, Fresno State, Tulsa, Indiana, Navy, TCU, East Carolina, Bowling Green, Houston, Ball State, USM, Memphis.

Six-win teams are UCLA, South Carolina, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Bama, Cal, Colorado, Louisville, Northwestern, Iowa, ULM, Nevada, and Ohio.

Bowl/conference pecking order:
ACC: Music City, Emerald
Big East: Sun, Intl, Armed Forces*
Big Ten: Hall Of Fame, Alamo, Copper, Motor City
Big XII: Holiday, Alamo, Sun***, Copper, Indy
CUSA: Liberty, Mobile, Humanitarian, Pineapple, New Orleans
MAC: Motor City, Poinsettia#, Humanitarian/Mobile**, International
MWC: Las Vegas, Poinsettia#, Armed Forces, New Mexico
PAC-10: Holiday, Sun***, Las Vegas, Emerald, Armed Forces*
SEC: Hall Of Fame, Liberty, Music City, Indy
Sunbelt: New Orleans
WAC: Humanitarian/Mobile**, Pineapple, New Mexico

* Armed Forces Bowl choose Big East or PAC-10.
** Humanitarian Bowl can choose first from the WAC or second from the MAC; other choice goes to Mobile.
*** Sun Bowl can choose Big XII or PAC-10.
# Poinsettia automatically takes Navy if they’re eligible.

Sun Bowl: Colorado vs. Cincinnati
Holiday Bowl: Oregon vs. Texas A&M
Las Vegas Bowl: Utah vs. UCLA
Emerald Bowl Cal vs. Florida State
Copper Bowl: Michigan State vs. Wake Forest (Big XII #6 not enough teams)
Pineapple Bowl Nevada vs. Southern Miss
Humanitarian Bowl: Fresno State vs. Houston
Liberty Bowl: Tulsa vs. Arkansas
Music City Bowl: Kentucky vs. Georgia Tech
Independence Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Purdue (Big XII not enough teams)
New Orleans Bowl: Troy vs. Memphis
Mobile Bowl: Iowa (MAC/WAC not enough teams) vs. East Carolina
Motor City Bowl: Bowling Green vs. Indiana
Poinsettia Bowl: Ball State vs. Navy
International Bowl: Ohio vs. Rutgers
Hall of Fame Bowl: Auburn vs. Penn State
Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma State vs. Michigan
New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico vs. South Carolina (WAC not enough teams)
Armed Forces Bowl: TCU vs. UConn

16-team playoffs
1) Ohio State (Big Ten Champ)
2) LSU (SEC Champ)
3) Virginia Tech (ACC Champ)
4) Oklahoma (Big XII Champ)
5) Georgia (Wild Card)
6) Missouri (Wild Card)
7) Southern Cal (PAC-1 Champ)
8) Kansas (Wild Card)
9) West Virginia (Big East Champ)
10) Hawaii (WAC Champ)
11) Arizona State (Wild Card)
12) Florida (Wild Card)
13) BYU (MWC Champ)
14) Central Florida (CUSA Champ)
15) Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt Champ)
16) Central Michigan (MAC Champ)

BCS Bowls: Illinois, BC, Tennessee, Texas, South Florida, Oregon (rule #3), Boise State (rule #4), Wisconsin (suck it Tommy Bowden)

Rose: Illinois vs. Oregon
Sugar: Tennessee vs. Wisconsin
Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State
Orange: Boston College vs. South Florida

Tier 2 Bowls--Original scenario had this:

Peach: Clemson vs. Air Force
Cotton: Tennessee vs. Texas Tech
Citrus: Wisconsin vs. South Florida
Gator: Virginia vs. Oregon State

Wisconsin, Tennessee, and South Florida got bumped up. Replace them with Michigan, Auburn, and UConn.

For the remaining bowl matchups, Michigan bumped up from the Big Ten berth in the Alamo Bowl, so Northwestern replaces them.

Louisville gets the spot in the Armed Forces Bowl vacated by UConn since they're the only team left from the affiliated conferences (So much for shafting them. See why it should only be 12 playoff spots?).

Give South Carolina the HOF Bowl berth vacated by Auburn. The New Mexico Bowl, which had South Carolina in my scanario, instead fills the at large bid with one of the last three bowl eligible teams (Maryland, Bama, or UL-Monroe). I'll give that spot to UL-Monroe based on the head to head tiebreaker against the gumps. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Nevermind what I said about Louisville. This was worth it!!!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-12-2008, 12:22 AM
No excuse not to have a playoff in college football what-so-ever.

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=NCAAF_Playoff

..and this is the best model imo. :)

Even as a fan of the buckeyes, big ten and the boilermakers knowing that it would probably put as at a slight disadvantage. I don't care. You wanna be the best? Prove that you can go undefeated in 2-4 straight games. D-1-aa ball does, II does it. HIGH SCHOOL DOES IT, THE PROS DO IT. NO EXCUSES. Could you imagine how enthralled the country would be during this whole time if we did have a tourney? It would blow away what-ever bowl game money is made right now.

No its stupid, And personally I blame the Big Ten and all the other major conferences for this whole mess.

revefsreleets
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Just to go on record, I too back a playoff system 110%.

Lord Stiller
06-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Paterno > NCAA

atlsteelers
06-12-2008, 08:43 AM
So we are all in concurence that we need a playoff system, we can argue the strengths of conferences forever without ever reaching a conclusion. But it is entertaining. So you all just need to pressure your school presidents to get involved in discussing a playoff system. We took care of that already down south, the SEC is in favor of a playoff system..

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
So we are all in concurence that we need a playoff system, we can argue the strengths of conferences forever without ever reaching a conclusion. But it is entertaining. So you all just need to pressure your school presidents to get involved in discussing a playoff system. We took care of that already down south, the SEC is in favor of a playoff system..

only because they feel that Auburn got robbed when they went 12-0, but refuse to admit the fact Auburn played the Citidel that same season and would have gotten smoked by either of the teams in the title game that year. Smoked I Say, whooped like children playing against men I say! Yes I say!

Lord Stiller
06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
only because they feel that Auburn got robbed when they went 12-0, but refuse to admit the fact Auburn played the Citidel that same season and would have gotten smoked by either of the teams in the title game that year. Smoked I Say, whooped like children playing against men I say! Yes I say!

No they wouldnt have. they did get robbed. Auburn was great that year. that was the bullcrap NCAA/BCS catering to USC as always

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
No they wouldnt have. they did get robbed. Auburn was great that year. that was the bullcrap NCAA/BCS catering to USC as always

Nope, they'd have gotten smoked by USC. For sure. Auburn had a very suspect schedule and way too many close calls that year to leap frog over Oklahoma or USC.

revefsreleets
06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
The real problem was that the SEC didn't have a great year, and Auburn, as all SEC teams seem to do, just assumed that "We don't need to play anybody OOC because our SEC schedule is already tough enough".

Well, it wasn't. And they got burnt for it. And they still didn't learn their lesson. But it seems the SEC is slowly but surely coming around to the reality that they MUST leave the Southeast and they MUST play OOC games because the conference will always ultimately still be judged on how they play OOC and not in conference.

Alas, I still doubt we will EVER see a Florida or Alabama or Auburn play in the snow in September in the Big House or Camp Randall or the Shoe, but they are coming around at least a little.

Lord Stiller
06-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Alas, I still doubt we will EVER see a Florida or Alabama or Auburn play in the snow in September in the Big House or Camp Randall or the Shoe, but they are coming around at least a little.

i agree, it is highly unlikely (it rarely snows in September)

fwiw, penn state and alabama have a home and home scheduled for 2010, 2011

revefsreleets
06-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Rematch of the 81(?) NC game? Nice!

St33lersguy
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I agree with Paterno. The NCAA needs a playoff system. This current BCS system is BS. I would go with a 16 team playoff system so top elite teams play in it.

Dino 6 Rings
06-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Only need top 8, not 16. the 16th team has no business in the discussion. Sorry, but look at the last 5 years top 25 finish and really evaluate if you think team 16 would have beaten any of the top 8. The 9th team has an arguement, and we can deal with their whining at a later point. "Dude, you were ranked 9th, that's not close" and move on from there. Take the winner of each Major Conference, ACC, SEC, B 12, B 10, P 10, East, and then 2 others. That's all that is needed.

8 teams playoff. Done. Title decided.

God I should just run the entire place. I totally should.

I'm going now to build my clone army and death star so I can take over and just fix everything that needs fixed, starting with the College Football championship. Then I'll focus on that "poverty" thing.

millwalldavey
06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
College football needs a 16 team playoff.

I agree. If there was not so much $$$ involved It could be done EASILY!

revefsreleets
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I'd be happy with the top 4, but 8 works too. Football is a brutal game, and these kids are still in school, so the tournament needs to be kept to just a few weeks.

lilyoder6
06-25-2008, 08:30 PM
but the bcs wants to make all the money they can so they try so very hard to get the likes of usc in the title game like evry yr