PDA

View Full Version : Porter on Spygate...

verks36
05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3409926

An angry Joey Porter thinks the Patriots cheated their way to championships and the NFL's destruction of Spygate tapes suggested the league had something to hide after conducting its investigation.

"They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught," the All-Pro linebacker, who spent eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers before joining Miami in free agency last season, said in an interview on "NFL Live."

"Why, if you have nothing to hide, would you destroy [the evidence]? That's how I've looked at it from the beginning. Why destroy something that doesn't have to be destroyed? Let everyone know what was on the tapes. Why would you destroy them so fast?"

The Spygate investigation began after the NFL confiscated tapes from a team employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals in the 2007 season opener. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000; the team was fined $250,000 and forced to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.

Porter called Belichick's fine a "slap on the wrist didn't fit the crime."

Since former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh met earlier this month with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to detail the team's illegal taping of opponents' coaching signals, Belichick has attempted to minimize Spygate's impact.

They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught.

--Joey Porter

"They went from zero to 60 overnight and [Belichick] went from a good coach to a great great coach and he got caught cheating," Porter said on "NFL Live."

At a news conference on May 13, Goodell said: "I didn't accept Bill Belichick's explanation for what happened and I still don't to this day."

On May 16, Belichick told the CBS Evening News: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I was wrong."

After meeting with Walsh, Goodell said of a further investigation: "I don't know where else I would turn, but I reserve the right to review new information if it comes up."

Walsh sent eight tapes to the league that show the Patriots recording the play-calling signals of five opponents in six games between 2000 and 2002, one of which was the 2002 AFC Championship Game that Porter's Steelers lost to New England 24-17.

"If you're to tell me that happened, there's no way I can look at it and feel like I didn't get cheated," Porter said.

Porter also said that NFL players he knows share similar sentiments about the Patriots concerning Spygate.

"Anybody I know that lost to them in big games, they're very upset about it," Porter said.

fansince'76
05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
You play 'em twice a year now, Joey. Show your displeasure on the field, in particular to #12 by smashing his ass into the turf at every opportunity, and stop jawing about it. Hell, do it after the whistle if need be - no skin off my nose if the Dolphins take a 15-yard penalty or not. Considering how many liberties that POS franchise has taken with league rules over the last 7 years, I don't mind other teams disregarding a few rules (late hits, illegal hits, etc.) when playing them. Besides, it's not like the Golden Franchise doesn't have a few cheap shot artists of its own (Harrison and Wilfork, among others). What's good for the goose, after all. Crying about it in the press does nothing and just sounds like sour grapes, not to mention like Mike Holmgren. If you're that pissed about it make them pay for it on the field.

NJarhead
05-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Joey, I hope you can take it out on ole' Tom Brady on all our behalf. :tt02:

lilyoder6
05-23-2008, 09:20 PM
he justs saying what evry other player is thinking.. good 4 him and i hope he destroys tom

RoethlisBURGHer
05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Finally, a player steps up and says what's really on his mind instead of the company line. And to no surprise, that person was Joey Porter.

I agree with above posters that Porter should take his anger out on Fairy Tom. Late hits please, late hits. Try and injure him, attempt to put him on injured reserve. The rules be damned, that's the way the Patriots went about winning three Super Bowls.

jjpro11
05-24-2008, 12:07 AM
i am sick of trying to be persuaded by the delusional pats fans and media that everyone does it, so its ok. clearly every team does not do it, bettis questioned what they possibly could have done when it first came out.. i highly doubt porter is the only guy that thinks of them as scum. he just doesnt give a shit and sounds off on anything.

Steeler in Carolina
05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I just wish this whole spygate thing would go away.

lilyoder6
05-24-2008, 12:22 AM
if evryone else was doing it then y was there not more 14+ win teams then

verks36
05-24-2008, 12:49 AM
i am sick of trying to be persuaded by the delusional pats fans and media that everyone does it, so its ok. clearly every team does not do it, bettis questioned what they possibly could have done when it first came out.. i highly doubt porter is the only guy that thinks of them as scum. he just doesnt give a shit and sounds off on anything.

agreed I dont see why some of us steelers fans want it to go away.

The patriots cheated they got to live up to it. Like I cant see how any one is like Ok they cheated now lets move on without exploring all possible leads. They need to be punished more IMO.
happy joey came out with this statement watching NFL Live right now on espn and I am going to see first hand what he said

KeiselPower99
05-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I heard it on ESPN before I went to work and was like Good ol Joey!!!! Why was the tapes destroyed so fast by the League??? He is just saying what every player in every locker room is thinking.

fansince'76
05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Like I cant see how any one is like Ok they cheated now lets move on without exploring all possible leads.

Namely because Goodell has already demonstrated that he isn't going to do squat about it any more than he already has, other owners and head coaches around the league have and will continue to tow the company line set by Goodell, and players like Porter squawking about it in the media sounds more like sour grapes than anything else. Make the sons of bitches pay for it on the field like the Giants did in SB XLII. IOW, knock the face of their franchise, Brady, on his ass early and often.

jjpro11
05-24-2008, 01:34 AM
he's just saying what everybody feels.. nobody respects a cheater and the patriots are cheaters.

Steeldude
05-24-2008, 07:35 AM
the penalty should be for opposing teams to be allowed to tape the patriots for as long as they(pats) were taping other teams. seems fair to me. they should also strip them of all future1st round picks equal to the humber of years they were spying illegally.

stillers4me
05-24-2008, 08:04 AM
the penalty should be for opposing teams to be allowed to tape the patriots for as long as they(pats) were taping other teams. seems fair to me.

But, but, but..........there's really no advantage to be gained by that, remember??????? :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
I think Joey is just one of several players wanting to take a crack at Tom Suck Brady I don't think a cheap shot would be out of the question.

TackleMeBen
05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
the penalty should be for opposing teams to be allowed to tape the patriots for as long as they(pats) were taping other teams. seems fair to me. they should also strip them of all future1st round picks equal to the humber of years they were spying illegally.

two wrongs dont make it right. it was illegal when the pats did it, and its illegal now... the only way to get back at the pats is to kill them on the field and show the world that they said there was no advantage in the tapes, that there really was b/c now they will be getting killed by teams... how many would love to see the dolphins kick their butts twice this season???:sofunny:

HughC
05-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Best thing would be to do what the Giants did. Outplay them, outhit them, outcoach them, outhustle them. Demoralize them till they hang their heads. What does that make us if we start calling for cheap shots and wishing for injuries? I'd rather we or any other team beat them at full strength, so Pats fans have no excuses but to accept defeat.

Just my opinion but Porter at times sounded like a whiner, looking for excuses instead of accepting defeat like a man. We lost one game due to special teams and another because Ben threw three picks - not because their offense knew what our defense was going to do.

In case anybody misses him, here's a review of the life and times of Joey Porter (http://pierogisnat.blogspot.com/2007/11/diegos-top-ten-most-outrageous-joey.html).

lilyoder6
05-24-2008, 02:59 PM
i think there should be more of a severe fine on them.. w/ all the teams they cheated on and all the championships they won b/c of the cheating.... either take more draft picks away or suspend the coach or something..

be like the ncaa, if they find out bush is guilty the trojans have to give up all there titles.. the same should be done to the pats

Galax Steeler
05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
i think there should be more of a severe fine on them.. w/ all the teams they cheated on and all the championships they won b/c of the cheating.... either take more draft picks away or suspend the coach or something..

be like the ncaa, if they find out bush is guilty the trojans have to give up all there titles.. the same should be done to the pats

I agree that there should have been a more severe fine but with goodel on belicheats side it ain't going to happen.

The Patriot
05-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree that there should have been a more severe fine but with goodel on belicheats side it ain't going to happen.

Do you really think the owners didn't serve as an influence at all? Goodell represents the league but he is not the league.

lilyoder6
05-25-2008, 10:27 AM
when goddell made the slap on the wrist fines the owners didn't have an influence.. b4 anyone good look into it goddell destroyed the tapes and just told the pats i got ur back basically...

since the owners couldn't see the bad stuff, and have nothing to go on thanks to goddell they just want it to go away..

The Patriot
05-25-2008, 11:51 AM
The whole thing is blown out of proportion in my opinion. It's just because we're the dominant team of this era. It has nothing to do with justice.

1) Jets get caught videotaping the Patriots 8 months before Patriots get caught videotaping the Jets. Mangini says they had permission. "We do it everytime we go on the road."
No investigation, no punishment, nobody cares, life goes on.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3151217

2) Dolphins purchase enhanced audio tape of Tom Brady's audibles? No investigation. Zach Thomas says its not a big deal (prior to spygate).
"They're [the patriots] the best at studying other teams and stealing signals from the sidelines. It's just part of the league. Everybody is going to try and get an edge somehow." Doesn't seem to stur much.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=719

3) Jimmy Johnson says that videotaping signals is 'commonplace' and that Howard Mudd, Colts offensive coach, is the best at stealing signals by videotape.
Nobody even talks with Howard Mudd, comments are disregarded, because only the Pats can cheat!http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/29/jimmy-johnson-howard-mudd-was-the-best-in-the-entire-league-at/

I knew something was up when Walsh revealed that the walkthrough tape was a hoax and everybody seemed more disapointed then relieved. That was a good indicator. This initiative has been mostly kept alive by the fans of teams who lost the big games to the Pats so its likely that 'integrity' isn't their sole motivation.

stillers4me
05-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Like I've said in the past, nobody would give a rat's ass if the Bengals were caught cheating. (now THAT would be more amusing than anything else). When there are Lomabardi trophies involved, then YES, it's a big deal and NO, it 's not blown out of proportion. An Olympic medal was taken away for cheating. Why is that trophy any different?

Just because a couple of people state their opinion that "everybody does it" doesn't make the FACT that the Patriots* deserve to, at the very least, have that big 'ole asterick beside those Super bowl wins any different that others that have it.

Dino 6 Rings
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
The whole thing is blown out of proportion in my opinion. It's just because we're the dominant team of this era. It has nothing to do with justice.

Correction. you WERE the dominant team of this era. Now we'll see how well this "great" team that hasn't won a title in 4 years does after the second biggest choke in NFL superbowl history. Cause pal, you choked. You sucked a big fat one down and choked away what could have been one of the greatest stories in all of sports history (1980 Lake Placid #1) Instead, you ended up the 3rd best 18-1 team in the NFL's history and are now considered cheaters by many fans around the country.

Porter always talks smack. let him talk. Doesn't bother me any. He gets 2 chances next season to back up his talk.

As for the video taping of coaches signals, and using the details of those tapes, to break down and recognize defensive calls in order to call offensive plays that would work in a real time situation (which is what was happening) the Pats have paid for their mistake in my Opinion. Its a done deal. Unless more comes out, I'm done with it. but it wasn't blown out of proportion, they were violating the league rules.

Counselor
05-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I heard it on ESPN before I went to work and was like Good ol Joey!!!! Why was the tapes destroyed so fast by the League??? He is just saying what every player in every locker room is thinking.

Exactly----If I were a player I'd be pissed that Belichick gets a slap on the wrist and J Peezy and the others get fines for comments to the media or wearing the wrong color shoelaces. To me, spygate is the equivelent of Belicheck putting all of his players on steroids--- They improved/enhanced the performance of every single player in the team. Those signal tapes (defense AND offence) did make a difference or Belichick never would have continued to do the taping.

I undersatand why Goodell and the owners (even Rooney) want this over with, but as a fan I want the integrity of the game upheld above all else. So Porter was speaking for the players and the majority of the fans----the NFL better listen -----or the extreme popularity of the sport could be in jeapardy---maybe not with this scandal---but we'll remember how spygate was handled the next time something like this comes up. And slowly but surely the fan base starts to erode.

lilyoder6
05-27-2008, 10:53 AM
and how long did it take 4 goodell to meet w/ walsh??? kraft was making deals behind the door to make sure walsh didn't give up the smoking gun i bet.. b/c if they rly wanted to see what he had they would of in the very same day or within 24 hrs.. it was just giving time 4 the pats to pay hush money to evryone

fansince'76
05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
The whole thing is blown out of proportion in my opinion. It's just because we're the dominant team of this era.

Yep, thanks to cheating. Your team looked really "dominant" against the NFC 5th seed this past SB when it was forced to play on the up and up, didn't it? Where were those "magical" halftime adjustments the "Super Genius God-King" Belichick always managed to pull out of his ass this time around, huh? :coffee:

steelreserve
05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Crying about it in the press does nothing and just sounds like sour grapes, not to mention like Mike Holmgren. If you're that pissed about it make them pay for it on the field.

Yeah, but that's harder to do when your opponent is cheating on offense. That's kind of the idea.

DACEB
05-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Once again Joey is out at the 50 yard line, taunting and demeaning the opposition.

Thing is, this time he's not just getting his team riled up, he's getting the whole league riled up to smash the Patsies.

That a boy, Joey!!

atlsteelers
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
. To me, spygate is the equivelent of Belicheck putting all of his players on steroids--- They improved/enhanced the performance of every single player in the team. Those signal tapes (defense AND offence) did make a difference or Belichick never would have continued to do the taping.

I agree 100%. Let the patriots keep their superbowls but i would fine kraft a few million and ban belicheck from ever working in the NFL agian. I am sorry but i can not believe that their cheating had nothing to do with them winning.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2008, 02:25 PM
"Movin on to next week.......just moving on"

"getting ready for San Deigo.....movin on"

Come on....Bellichek "misinterpreted the rule". How was he to know that taping defensive coaches hand signals and how they correspond to defensive sets would gain an unfair advantage and be considered.....cheating?

" I misentrepreted the time on the clock and left the Super Bowl early....I didnt think leaving before the clock read 0:00 was wrong."

"just movin on to next week"

tony hipchest
05-27-2008, 05:21 PM
2) Dolphins purchase enhanced audio tape of Tom Brady's audibles? No investigation. Zach Thomas says its not a big deal (prior to spygate).
"They're [the patriots] the best at studying other teams and stealing signals from the sidelines. It's just part of the league. Everybody is going to try and get an edge somehow." Doesn't seem to stur much.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=719

c'mon.

only defensive dunce, crabby patty cakes think that listening to a cbs broadcast with the volume up high (that was available to millions of people who happened to tune in and press "record") is cheating.

only an ignorant moron would not be able to see the difference and think otherwise. (or any patfan still grasping at straws).

and only and idiot patfan would quote a john tomass fanblog as a source! :rofl:

wasnt he the one who broke the story of the patriots walk thru tape? :toofunny:

yes he was :sofunny:

that type of exposure has [still] gotta hurt.

get over it (and yourself). every one of the patriots 1,000,000 or so fans would laugh you out of fandom for quoting him as a credible source. :chuckle:

youre too much, man.

next.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM

The Dolphins didn't purchase anything, someone recorded the CBS broadcast so they could watch the game, and someone was miked up and you could hear all of Brady's audibles when you turn the volume up.

This was a broadcast that was available to the entire world. This was not someone secretly taping the signals the opposing team used.

Funny thing is, there was a bit of a stir about this. There were questions of this violated the rules against taping opponents signals (you know, that same rule that Bill Bellichick "misinterpreted). It was deemed not illegal since it was a taped national broadcast that was used.

Oh, and I'll never forget watching Jason Taylor make Tom Brady his personal lil beotch that night. Forcing Brady into throwing the INT that ultimatly ended the game for the Patriots. It was sweet to watch.

The Patriot
05-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Meh, Don't blame me I took that argument from a Dolphins fan. Imagine that.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f3/what-should-be-patriots-punishment-for-videotaping-other-teams-221062-2.html

tony hipchest
05-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Meh, Don't blame me I took that argument from a Dolphins fan. Imagine that.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f3/what-should-be-patriots-punishment-for-videotaping-other-teams-221062-2.html

nobody is "blaming" you. i think were just laughing our ass off at you. after all, borrowing an argument from the dolphins is pretty much equivalent to admitting that 1-15 > 18-1*.....

wait....

here it comes......

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

after all, alot of teams have gone 1-15 (including the patriots but never the steelers).

BUT....

no team other than the patriots have choked the grandest furrball in all of sporting history. :applaudit:

thats gotta burn. :tt:

SteelersMongol
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
... Just my opinion but Porter at times sounded like a whiner, looking for excuses instead of accepting defeat like a man. We lost one game due to special teams and another because Ben threw three picks - not because their offense knew what our defense was going to do...

But that's not how Hines saw it 2. He said he felt there were some questionable plays whenever V played the Cheaters.

Tankus_Maximus
05-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Wouldn't it be karma, if Joey came in on a blitz, hit Brady right square in the chest, caused Brady to break his sternum and tearing both pectoral muscles, thus putting him out for the year.

That would ALMOST be as beautiful as Kimo knockin out Carson's wheel.

Rhee Rhee
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
I just wish this whole spygate thing would go away.

im sorry. i feel just the opposite.

i want casual fans to know how bad a job roger goodell did of handling something of this magnitude. i want the world to know that the partiots so called "dynasty" is a joke. i want the partiots to get that big fat * by their names

thank you joey porter for saying something when no one else will. i applaud you :applaudit: i hope and pray that someone will just fire goodell also..

moedap
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I stole this topic from Steelerslive.com because I think it is a good topic. I use to place a lot of blame on Cowher for the losses. The reason I blamed him was because of my perception that he allowed the playcalling to be too predictable. Now that I know the Patriots used their tapings of the hand signals it probably didnt matter what adjustments Cowher made at halftime. Now we know why they were saying "Belichick never loses to a team twice".

Glace
05-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Even if there are no more fines or suspensions or penalties....the true damage has been done.

What is the FIRST thing that comes to mind when you think about guys like Barry Bonds or Mark McGwire....You think of the whole steroid scandal.

No matter what they do. No matter how many good stories they sling around about being the best dynasty ever...(HAHAHAHAHA)....The first thing you will think about when the Patriots are mentioned is Spygate.

The Pats may never be able to win a superbowl again without people bringing up Spygate.

I would be hanging my head in shame if I was a Pats fan....because the pats and their fans are the mockery of the entire NFL fan base.

steelreserve
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
" I misentrepreted the time on the clock and left the Super Bowl early....I didnt think leaving before the clock read 0:00 was wrong."

"just movin on to next week"

Heh. You know, I was spending so much time gloating about the result of the Super Bowl that I forgot about that little crybaby display of poor sportsmanship. Thank you for reminding me about that. The guy is a total penis!

ChronoCross
05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Fact; Belicheat and Kraft were the two biggest supporters of Goddell getting his job.
Fact, Goddell destroyed the really good evidence that showed how Patriots cheated and not letting anyone else in on it.
Fact, Belicheat gets fined but gets another contract so no money out of his pocket.
Fact, Patriots had 2 first rounders so taking one away was just for show so it really did not hurt. Spank on the wrist.
Fact, A Dallas Coach gets a 4 game suspension for Steroids. And Belicheat who done worst got a slap on the wrist.
Fact, if Belicheat and Kraft did not have Goddell in there pockets the Films would still be here, Belicheat would of actually got suspended and they would of lost the 7 rd 1st round pick.
Fact, Walshes tapes were bullshit compared to the real cheating tapes that were destroyed.
Fact Goddell did his best to cover this up the best he could with the list amount of punishment.
You cannot give SBs back but you want to talk about tainted SBs.
And all Patriot fans think Belicheat did nothing wrong.

Out of one of the cheating tapes and not walshes bullshit, you had camera on hand signal caller, then to time on board, then to what defense was on the field. Then all was broke down and changes made at halftime and after halftime Belicheat looked like a awsome second half coach but now all know why. Its nice to have the commish in your back pocket to help cover it up.
Welp that is all ill ever write on this subject, I even leave it alone in online chat because Patriots fans are blind to the fact and will not accept what has been done. Paltalk for online live football chat..

ChronoCross
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
,.nm.,nm.,nm,.nm.nm.,nm,.nm,.n

steelreserve
05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
,.nm.,nm.,nm,.nm.nm.,nm,.nm,.n

What WAS that, anyway? That guy used to have it in like every post, but I never knew what the hell it was supposed to mean.

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 05:34 PM
What WAS that, anyway? That guy used to have it in like every post, but I never knew what the hell it was supposed to mean.

The initials of his first and last name, though I think he was hosing us there. His real initials are BL. :chuckle:

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_buzzm_1.jpg