PDA

View Full Version : NFL Reaches Agreement to Return to L.A.

Prosdo
11-12-2005, 12:52 AM
NFL Reaches Agreement to Return to L.A.
By JOHN NADEL AP Sports Writer

NFL, Los Angeles Coliseum Reach Preliminary Agreement on Return of a Team to the City of Angels

Paul Tagliabue, National Football League Commissioner, holds a news conference on the steps of Los Angeles City Hall after meeting with mayor Antonio Villaraigosa Thursday, Nov. 10, 2005, in Los Angeles Tagliabue met with the mayor to discuss professional football and the prospects of Southern California getting an NFL team. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian)
By JOHN NADEL AP Sports Writer
The Associated PressThe Associated Press

LOS ANGELES Nov 10, 2005 — The NFL and city officials have reached a preliminary agreement on terms to bring a team back to the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue made the announcement Thursday on the steps of City Hall. But he didn't identify a potential tenant or speculate when Los Angeles might get the team.

He also spoke positively about a team playing at a facility proposed for the Angel Stadium parking lot in Anaheim and didn't rule out the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as a possible home field, either.
Top Stories

As Tagliabue entered a limousine, he was asked if he could assess the significance of what he had just announced. He replied, "I'd rather not try."

The commissioner did say: "It's the first time we've had agreement on term sheets. We're one step closer, two or three steps closer. Whether it's 2009, 2010, or 2000-whatever, our goal is to have definitive agreements on all subject matters well before our league meetings in March."

The Los Angeles area, the second-largest television market in the country, has been without an NFL team since the Raiders moved from the Coliseum back to Oakland and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis before the 1995 season.

After announcing plans in the spring of 1999 to put an expansion team in the Coliseum, the NFL was unable to reach an agreement with the Los Angeles backers and instead awarded the 32nd franchise to Houston that October.

Houston businessman Bob McNair and his backers offered to pay $700 million for the new franchise and spend another $310 million on a stadium, making it the NFL's first billion-dollar deal. The Texans began play in 2002.

Tagliabue said significant progress has been made in the past year regarding the Coliseum. His statement came following a meeting with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and before a session with Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle.

"I think the critical thing now is we're at the point where it's recognized, certainly by us, that the time is right," Tagliabue said. "We have to get agreements finalized. We'll be pursuing agreements in Anaheim. We're going to work with both communities for an agreement."

Rest of the article: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1301766&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

RoethlisBURGHer
11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
California doesn't need another fricken team!The Oakland Raiders,San Fransisco 49ers,and San Diego Chargers are ENOUGH.And L.A. is too bandwagon of a town to keep a sports team.Right now everyone in L.A. is a Chargers fan it seems.By the time the team that goes to L.A. (it's either gonna be a shitty team moved or an expansion team) gets good,nobody in L.A. will care.

A state shouldn't have any more than two teams,and Cali already has three.There aren't enough people in Cali to support a 3rd team.

SteelCityMan786
11-12-2005, 03:37 PM
The San Diego Chargers will end up moving their. They Need a new stadium anyway

Prosdo
11-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I don't think a team should be created there or moved into that state. They have three teams already. San Diego moving wouldn't be so bad.

Suitanim
11-12-2005, 07:01 PM
It's almost certainly not going to be a new franchise...I don't ever see the NFL expanding past the new perfectly symmetrical 32 teams/ 8 4 team conferences.

bengalsfan21
11-12-2005, 07:07 PM
L.A. Saints anyone?

Suitanim
11-12-2005, 07:18 PM
L.A. Saints anyone?

Not gonna happen..."Big Paulie" Tagliabue was adamant that he wants the Saints in N.O.

clevestinks
11-13-2005, 10:20 AM
A watered down league cant afford expansion.

Ambridge
11-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Jacksonville is another team that's usually mentioned when it comes to teams that might be relocating.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
It's almost certainly not going to be a new franchise...I don't ever see the NFL expanding past the new perfectly symmetrical 32 teams/ 8 4 team conferences.

They Could add 8 more markets and have 4 divisons and 5 Teams with 40 Teams overall.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2005, 01:38 PM
LA is not a pro football town. USC, UCLA, already have it narrowed down.. I just dont see a team,especially expansion doing all that well after the first year or so, unless they really start winning very quickly.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Well I'd rather they put the LA Team in the Rose Bowl. Because The Coliseum is all concrete seats from the pictures I have seen. Who wants to sit on Concrete.