PDA

View Full Version : Steelers envy, just a lil bit?

RoethlisBURGHer
05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I figured with the couple of Browns fans that rome this place, this should be posted in the BF.

Last night, I attended Kenny Chesney's Poets And Pirates Tour 2008 at Cleveland Browns Stadium. This was a country music concert that consisted of a local band who's name escapes me, Gary Allen, Leann Rimes, Sammy Hagar (I know he's not country, but somehow he ended up on the tour), Keith Urban, and Kenny Chesney.

The only connection this event had to football is that it was held in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

But upon entering the stadium before the concert, during intermissions between acts, and leaving the concert there were many chants of "Here We Go Brownies, Woof Woof!" followed by an anti-Steelers chant.

It just made me chuckle to myself...Steelers envy, just a lil bit. Some Browns fans are so obsessed about our team that they start and join in anti-Steelers chants at a concert!

The Patriot
05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
That's nothing. We get the "Yankees Suck" chant going at hockey games.

stillers4me
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM

Who cares?

The Patriot
05-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Who cares?

I don't.

X-Terminator
05-26-2008, 12:55 PM

That's because the bRuins have been so god-awful in recent years that it's the only way their 9,000 fans can enjoy a game.

Edman
05-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Don't stress over it, RB. The Cleveland Cavaliers used Steeler logos and players to get their fans to be loud/cheer during their NBA Finals run last year.

I'd call it an obsession. Cleveland loves the Steelers.

jjpro11
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Don't stress over it, RB. The Cleveland Cavaliers used Steeler logos and players to get their fans to be loud/cheer during their NBA Finals run last year.

I'd call it an obsession. Cleveland loves the Steelers.

they have used it at every cavs game i've been to over the past 3 years. living around it daily, they are OBSESSED with the steelers. there are no super bowl aspirations here, everyone is focused on beating the steelers.

j-dawg
05-27-2008, 11:15 AM
they have used it at every cavs game i've been to over the past 3 years. living around it daily, they are OBSESSED with the steelers. there are no super bowl aspirations here, everyone is focused on beating the steelers.

It's not exactly like that. I've got a lot of respect for the Steelers, they've owned my favorite team for quite some time, so sure, I'd like to see them win one against the Steelers. Most Browns fans would agree the Steelers are the team to beat in the AFCN. I don't know any Browns fan that doesn't aspire to see the Browns go to the super bowl... what's the point of rooting for your team then? If the Browns lost both games to the Steelers and still made the playoffs, even got to the big dance, that would be alright with me.

revefsreleets
05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Look, I live here, and there is a monstrously HUUUUUGE inferiority complex amongst Browns fans. A few will openly admit that the are envious (they are the fairly silent minority, though), while most just carpet-bomb Steelers fans with hate. It's funny, because I hardly ever even think about the Browns even while they are ubiquitous in the press, yet the Browns fans literally obsess over their own hatred and envy for everything Steelers.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

MACH1
05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Did somebody call the......

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/0d_3.jpg

UK CANDY BEE
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
While I cannot, and will never claim to, speak for ALL Browns fans, I WILL submit for your consideration (or more likely, abject scorn!), my own main reason for loathing not so much the Steelers (though I do take great glee when they lose !!), as a large portion of their fan base !!

Simpy put... your team defeating my team does NOT, in and of itself, make you a better or more knowledgeable fan than I might happen to be.

I could elaborate more specifically, citing examples of how SOME of us Browns fans who might feel as I do have arrived at this point of view, but I'll spare you the time and effort it might require to read, not to mention reply to.....

Dino 6 Rings
05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
[COLOR="Sienna"][B]While I cannot, and will never claim to, speak for ALL Browns fans, I WILL submit

See now if you'd have just stopped typing, right there, we'd be all good. You need to Submit, submit to the will of the Steelers and finally admit to yourself that you are truly a Steelers fan.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Did somebody call the......

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/0d_3.jpg

I'm not whining about anything, just making an observation.

UK CANDY BEE
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
See now if you'd have just stopped typing, right there, we'd be all good. You need to Submit, submit to the will of the Steelers and finally admit to yourself that you are truly a Steelers fan.

Hey, and while I am at it, I can also proclaim that I am twelve feet tall, with eyes that shoot fire, and can crush entire buildings with my bare hands !!

.....all of which I could actually say with the same sincerity as claiming to be a Steelers fan !!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/hugeBrownieElf.gif

MACH1
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm not whining about anything, just making an observation.

Sorry, Its not for you. Its for certain teams that loose to us every year. You all know who you are. :helmet:

UK CANDY BEE
05-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry, Its not for you. Its for certain teams that loose to us every year. You all know who you are. :helmet:

Cute, but I'll tell you what ?? Take the extra "o" you don't need for the word "lose" up there and you can put it into the win column for the Steelers against the Browns this coming season, okay ??

It's been quite awhile since the Browns have swept the Steelers, but it is about to happen once again !!

.....now where DID I put that broom??

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/smallBrownshelmet.gif

MACH1
05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I forgot how to spell it because its been how many years and games since we lost to the turds?

UK CANDY BEE
05-27-2008, 05:45 PM
.....more than a couple, I cannot deny......

RoethlisBURGHer
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Cute, but I'll tell you what ?? Take the extra "o" you don't need for the word "lose" up there and you can put it into the win column for the Steelers against the Browns this coming season, okay ??

It's been quite awhile since the Browns have swept the Steelers, but it is about to happen once again !!

.....now where DID I put that broom??

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/smallBrownshelmet.gif

Okay then, sig bet.

If the Browns beat the Steelers ONCE, I will wear a signature of your choosing for one week, Monday-Sunday.

If the Steelers beat the Browns once, you will wear a sig of my choosing for one week, Monday-Sunday.

If the Browns sweep the Steelers, I will wear a sig of your choosing the entire playoffs and the entire 2009 NFL Season.

If the Steelers sweep the Browns once again, you will wear a sig of my choosing for the entire playoffs and the entire 2009 NFL Season.

Put your sig where your mouth is jagoff.

UK CANDY BEE
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Okay then, sig bet.

If the Browns beat the Steelers ONCE, I will wear a signature of your choosing for one week, Monday-Sunday.

If the Steelers beat the Browns once, you will wear a sig of my choosing for one week, Monday-Sunday.

If the Browns sweep the Steelers, I will wear a sig of your choosing the entire playoffs and the entire 2009 NFL Season.

If the Steelers sweep the Browns once again, you will wear a sig of my choosing for the entire playoffs and the entire 2009 NFL Season.

Put your sig where your mouth is jagoff.

DONE !!

Now then........to expand the wager.......

I am thinking.....avatars....... for those who want to put up or shut up !!

....and I officially invite my fellow Browns fans here to jump in on this, since it would not be fair to the Steeler fans to place many at risk vs just me.....

If the Browns win the first meeting in Cleveland, those who accept the wager must wear an avatar of my choosing until the end of the second meeting in the season finale. If the Steelers win the first meeting, then I must wear the avatar of YOUR (collectively arrive at one) choosing until the end of the next meeting.

If either team sweeps the other, then the loser(s) must wear the avatar until opening day 2009 !!!

Step right up Pissburgh fans.....

.....the line forms right here

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/Only_Bitches_Wave_Yellow_Towels.jpg

stillers4me
05-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Speaking of envy........

Funny how nearly every team out there tries to copy the Terrible Towel. It's kinda cute........how everybody wants to be just like us.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/19980247.jpg

And they even have sites dedicated to the sheer hatred of the Steelers. Wow. Obsessive?????

UK CANDY BEE
05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of that thing before !!!

...and I will go on record here and now as officially DENOUNCING that joke of a fan item as a stupid and blatant ripoff of an already stupid and lame fan item !!

stillers4me
05-28-2008, 08:06 PM

...and I will go on record here and now as officially DENOUNCING that joke of a fan item as a stupid and blatant ripoff of an already stupid and lame fan item !!

Stupid and lame fan item????????

Now them's fightin' words!!!!!!

FYI......... In 1996 Myron Cope (RIP) gave the rights to Myron Cope's Official Terrible Towel to the Allegheny Valley School in the Pittsburgh suburb of Coraopolis, Pennsylvania. The school provides care for more than 900 people with mental retardation and physical disabilities. Proceeds from the Terrible Towel have helped raise more than $2.2 million for the school.

Pretty lame, eh? Maybe someday it will catch on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/1tt.jpg

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Not very envious of y'all hate to break it to you. The only thing I'm envious of, is that you guys have a hockey team and Quaker Steak. And now thats in my hometown as well! :)

oh, and the chanting stuff is nothing new. Went to see Van Halen and everyone was chanting Ohio State and Browns stuff after the concert.

Maybe its a response from us as fans having to deal with all the clueless bandwagon fans that came out of nowhere in 2004 and came up with every excuse under the sun as to why they're a Steelers fan. Trust me, Thats annoying as hell, and believe you, me, it can get really annoying. But don't take my word for it.

I have absolutely nothing against fans from other teams. When they visit on a roadie and come correct, I've even stood up for them when some of our own who are a little overzealous start to abuse them. I like good give and take. I understand geographic transplants who won't switch teams. I dig loyalty. In understand regionalism crossing state lines. East Liverpool and below is basically West Virginia, West Virginia is Appalachia, so by the transitive property the Ohio valley "hill folk" should probably cheer for their own kin unless they want to be real Midwestern Ohioans and not hill jacks. I'll even go so far as to think about extending family dispensation if someone's parents were from an area originally and passed along their fanatic love of their former home team. Legacy is cool.

But there is no excuse for free agent fan front runners who root against their home team just to be dill weeds. They only serve two purposes, to be intentionally rude and irritating and support the leagues' pay-per-view efforts. Even mosquitoes serve three purposes. If you are a Yankee fan and never lived near New York, or you've always lived in northeast Ohio, have all your original teeth, and get in the faces of Browns fans with your ignorant and arrogant Appalachian garbage, this diss is for you. None of y'all have any soul at all. You'll never really know the thrill of following a team through it's ups and downs. You'll never know what it meant to see a solitary ping-pong ball change your life after listening to the Randy Wittman and John Lucas call in shows for years and watching Lamond Murray sleep walk through entire seasons. You'll never know how sweet it is to finally reach the Promised Land after such a long, long struggle, now officially longer than the biblical Israelites wandered the desert. Someday one of the trinity will deliver us.

I loathe you all. I really do. On a sports-being-the-toy-department-of-life-I-also-hate-brussell-spouts level. If you have to be an idiot, stay home. Or go to your blank-backer's sports bar where your kind congregate. Don't come to my game. Don't show up to hate on the home team and piss off the home fans. If you need attention that bad, finger paint yourself some day-glo color and run around butt naked in public somewhere. Or join Green Peace. Same thing. Better yet, go e-bay a ducat to a home game for your team you've "followed all your life" and make a pilgrimage to be with your people.

Just stay the hell out of me and my friends' house. You are not welcome here.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_detail.php?id=3201

millwalldavey
05-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Why... are the Steelers not playing the Browns this year???

:tt:

stillers4me
05-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I loathe you all. I really do. On a sports-being-the-toy-department-of-life-I-also-hate-brussell-spouts level. If you have to be an idiot, stay home. Or go to your blank-backer's sports bar where your kind congregate. Don't come to my game. Don't show up to hate on the home team and piss off the home fans. If you need attention that bad, finger paint yourself some day-glo color and run around butt naked in public somewhere. Or join Green Peace. Same thing. Better yet, go e-bay a ducat to a home game for your team you've "followed all your life" and make a pilgrimage to be with your people.

Just stay the hell out of me and my friends' house. You are not welcome here.

Sounds like envy to me. :hunch:

millwalldavey
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Simple enough... I'd rather be hated than ignored.

How can you ignore the dominating force that is the Black and Gold?!?!?!?!?

revefsreleets
05-28-2008, 08:30 PM
While I cannot, and will never claim to, speak for ALL Browns fans, I WILL submit for your consideration (or more likely, abject scorn!), my own main reason for loathing not so much the Steelers (though I do take great glee when they lose !!), as a large portion of their fan base !!

Simpy put... your team defeating my team does NOT, in and of itself, make you a better or more knowledgeable fan than I might happen to be.

I could elaborate more specifically, citing examples of how SOME of us Browns fans who might feel as I do have arrived at this point of view, but I'll spare you the time and effort it might require to read, not to mention reply to.....

EEERRRRK! Thanks for playing.

We went though this once or twice. You tried to play the "football knowledge card", and you failed. Utterly and miserably. In fact I still feel kind of bad for you, Buckeye Dan, because:

A) You are okay, in general, but try way too hard. Why? So hard it's pathetic.
B) Have been caught many times in the past, and not just on this board.
C) Trying to fob off some kind of coaching-level skill at the QB position, yet lacked even the rudimentary knowledge of terms and such. And you WERE called out and banned...why else the anagram? UK CANDY BEE rearranged is Buckeye Dan.

Hello!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Sounds like envy to me. :hunch:

Its more annoyance if anything.

Fact of the matter is..usually 95% of the people in my area , who've been around football, played, etc. Are Browns fans. The Steelers fans from what I've seen generally around my area are either rednecks or nerds, both of which are usually really clueless when it comes to football and throw the Super Bowl thing in our faces every ten seconds because thats the only argument they know.

Not saying thats true case everywhere, when I went to Beaver Falls for a College invite from Geneva by their coach, The majority of the folks there were Steelers and Nittany Lions fans and were pretty cool and were fun to talk too, ESPECIALLY about football.

vasteeler
05-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Stupid and lame ? are you kidding me ? there is nothing better than watching the Steelers pound the Browns than looking into the stadium and see nothing but terrible towels. Gives me chills just thinking about it

Galax Steeler
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
The dirty brown towel now that is original,I see a dirty brown towel everyday when I go to the toilet it reminds me of the brownies.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
No Browns fan I know owns that.

Plain and simple. Period. And anyone that should, should have the Browns Backer (Card Carrier BTW) card revoked.

The Patriot
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Steelers fans like to believe that they were first to ever wave handkerchiefs at sporting events.

fansince'76
05-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Steelers fans like to believe that they were first to ever wave handkerchiefs at sporting events.

And Pats* fans think Belichick and Kraft invented football and the NFL.

The Patriot
05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
And Pats* fans think Belichick and Kraft invented football and the NFL.

hmmm... tushay.

UK CANDY BEE
05-29-2008, 11:17 PM
We went though this once or twice. You tried to play the "football knowledge card", and you failed. Utterly and miserably. In fact I still feel kind of bad for you, Buckeye Dan

Do you REALLY want to revisit the highlights of my initial foray into these forums back in December of 05 ??

I rather doubt that you do !!!

Mostly because your memory of those events is faulty BEYOND BELIEF !!!

But if the "football knowledge card" you refer to is my insistence that most (but not all) of you Stooler fans are brainless clods who are basically BANKRUPT in terms of NFL IQ, then yeah, I played that card, and kicked your collective asses with it !!!

....to the point that all several of you could retaliate with was "Stillers Rule", "Stains Suck" or similar brilliance !!

A) You are okay, in general, but try way too hard. Why? So hard it's pathetic.
B) Have been caught many times in the past, and not just on this board.
C) Trying to fob off some kind of coaching-level skill at the QB position, yet lacked even the rudimentary knowledge of terms and such. And you WERE called out and banned...why else the anagram? UK CANDY BEE rearranged is Buckeye Dan.

Very little of that actually made any sense at all, but I'll address the non-nonsense part....

Going back to the very end of the first quote, it's nice that you seem to know the name I go by everywhere else on the web.

Now then, skipping the nonsensical "A" part, I have no idea what on earth you mean by saying I "have been caught many times in the past", here or anywhere else !!!

Caught doing what ?? Exposing certain Stooler fans for the blowhard knownothings they are ?? GUILTY AS CHARGED !!

So let's move on to the "C" part, shall we ??

I think I recall what you are referring to here, but even so, you once again remember it ALL WRONG !! The only QB discussion I ever engaged in here dealt with Roethlisberger running through the receiver options/progressions and I believe I said he threw to the checkdown option excessively or something like that.....it has been over two years since this happened... but I think that was the gist of it.

That HARDLY qualifies as claiming anything close to "coaching level skill" !!

There were sooo many things we never even discussed.... such as footwork, release point, arm strength, accuracy, reading the defense (all of which Ben does pretty well) or 3/5/7 step drops. There are many others, do I need to go on ??? In all honesty, I have never and will never claim to know everything about all of them, but I DO know a little about all of them, and quite a bit about a few of them.

Anyway, if you wish to refer to that chimp with a keyboard who called himself....hmm, what was it ?? Oh yeah... Suitanim, that was it.....as someone who supposedly called me out, then once again, you're mistaken. Suit seemed to think he was the master of the 3 - 4 defense, and his opinion of it was the only one that mattered. This was evidenced when he claimed that the NT and 2 DEs had no other job besides occupying opposing O linemen so that the LBs could make the plays. This is of course, ludicrous.

Also, for the record.... I have NEVER been banned here !!

You see the anagram, and make a mistaken assumption !! Several times, in SF open forums, I have mentioned that my username EVERWHERE ELSE is BuckeyeDan !!

I have also explained my use of the anagram, but if it will make you better able to sleep at night, I will do so again.....

Back in late 2005, there were several Browns fans who were trying to register here at SF, but were more or less turned away at the door due to a pro Browns username. As previously mentioned, I use the monicker BuckeyeDan everywhere on the net that I wander, so I had no doubt I couldn't use that, or I would be instantly ID'd as a Browns fan, so I chose the anagram.

Since that time, I have all but begged member numero uno to change my username to BuckeyeDan, but even with assistance from one of the moderators here, I have had no luck...... oh well !!

So, now that we have adequately addressed all your misgivings, mistaken assumptions and just plain downright lousy memory, what it all boils down to is only TWO legitimately accurate statements.

1. "UK CANDY BEE rearranged is Buckeye Dan".
After two and a half years and my saying so two or three times, you have finally figured this out ?? Congratulations !!

2. "You are okay, in general..."
Thank you......... I like to think so............

:cool:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/BigRevolvingBrownsHelmet.gif

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Pats fans want to believe that their team was actually a viable competitor in the AFC conference before 1993 when you got Parcell's as your coach and he turned that team into a winner.

The Patriot
05-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Pats fans want to believe that their team was actually a viable competitor in the AFC conference before 1993 when you got Parcell's as your coach and he turned that team into a winner.

Let's not forget the legendary Grogan.

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Let's not forget the legendary Grogan.

See at least you have a sense of humor about things.

revefsreleets
05-30-2008, 05:13 PM
That was a lot of typing, Dan... but it did prove one thing...we finally found something you excel at: Revisionist history.

I remember many comical errors and ignorant statements you made when talking about QB play, and you also claimed to actually play the position in college, although, shockingly, you'd never name the particular institution that you supposedly "played for".

See, the sucky thing about juggling chainsaws is that if you drop one, it's probably going to cut your arm off...and as I recall, you were dropping those mutha's all over the place. I was actually surprised to see you show up here again even with the anagram, because you got slapped around pretty badly (which is the REAL reason you changed your identity, but I like your version, too), so badly that I remember feeling a little bad for you. But, hey, it's a kinder, gentler SF now and you've obviously read more and learned more about football since then, so, you know, whatever...

UK CANDY BEE
05-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I was actually surprised to see you show up here again even with the anagram, because you got slapped around pretty badly (which is the REAL reason you changed your identity, but I like your version, too)

I don't recall ever posting here under any other username, I also don't recall claiming to have played QB "in college" (I may have said or meant "while in college", however I never claimed to have played for Boots Donnelly at MTSU...however, I did sit next to Kelly Holcomb in a class or two !!), but I DO recall besmirching Roethlisberger quite a bit and wound up with egg on my face when he had a whale of a playoff run which included stellar play on his part, except for the SB vs the Seahawks, in which he more or less sucked. I also DO recall declaring after the AFC championship game that season that I would never besmirch Ben again....and I HAVE honored that commitment.

...if that is "revisionist history, then I don't know what to tell you, because it is the truth as best as I can recall.

It WAS two and a half years ago after all !!!