PDA

View Full Version : June first cuts, cap space, etc ...

paw-n-maul-u
05-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Who do you guys think are going to be some possible June 1st cuts and anyone that could be added to upgrade?

Does anyone know if we even have any cap space to make one last addition? I'm assuming there's enough left over money for the rookie class, but after Starks transition tag we're probably empty pockets.

Would they still take a look at McFarland?
What about Erasmus James?

thoughts?

Galax Steeler
05-27-2008, 04:20 AM
I would have to say that McFarland is still on there radar they are going to give him another look when he gets healthy.

Aussie_steeler
05-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Erasmus James is undersized to play 3-4 DE and would not fit our scheme.

McFarland will be on the squad if he can pass a medical IMO

KeiselPower99
05-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Agree on McFarland. He will be a 3-4 End. I still think Dan Kreider is gonna be in camp with us. Look at the roster and there isnt a jersey number 35 issued.

steelwheels
05-27-2008, 02:43 PM
James was never healthy with Minny.

He is just a bit bigger than Davis and a similar style player. With Harrison, Woodley, and Davis I would say we don't look at him but then again Tomlin has brought in several players from his past?

If Booger's workout on June 4th proves he is healthy I would say the Steelers ink him!

lilyoder6
05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
the only big names i could see by poss being cut would be davenport.. carter could be later on

The Duke
05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
yep, carter and dookie.

though I think they'll give dookie some time to prove himself

Preacher
05-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see some choices made specifically dealing with ST's

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I see Davenport being cut. We don't need him now that we have Mendenhall...and it will open up some cap space.

SteelersTilIDie
05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
definitely carter and davenport cut, i wish chris henry wasn't such an idiot, and lito sheppard wasnt too expensive and injury prone, and why havent players like shane olivea, rosevelt colvin, ian gold, etc. been signed anywhere??

Rhee Rhee
05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
we also have a little too much depth on the o-line...

as much as i marvel capizzi's physical attributes i say he's gonna get cut along with dallas baker who i dont think will make the team... micah rucker should take his place on the practice squad..

steelreserve
05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Dookie is toast, Reid is toast, Zabransky is probably toast if he wasn't cut already and I just missed it ... don't know about Kreider, but my money would be against him being back.

Anyway, between those 4 guys, maybe it's enough to get McFarland in under the cap. Hopefully there's still a way we can sign Starks to a longer, more reasonable deal and tear up the one he's got.

OneForTheToe
05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
If a vet gets cut I would say it is Dookie, Mahan or Carter. I doubt Carter gets cut given Troy's unsteady health the last two seasons. Maybe that wouldn't be such a big deal if A Smith had stepped up his play to the level of his mouth, but time will tell. If someone would take the other corner position I think Deshea would make a fine saftey as well.

The only way I see Mahan getting cut is if Hartwig really takes the center position "by the horns." And someone would have to step up and prove an able back-up.

That leaves Dookie as the obvious cap casualty. Barring a season ending injury to one of the other backs, I just don't think there is a space for him on this team anymore.

GBMelBlount
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
we also have a little too much depth on the o-line...

Perhaps we can just stack them up like sand bags. :hunch:

Preacher
05-27-2008, 11:03 PM
If a vet gets cut I would say it is Dookie, Mahan or Carter. I doubt Carter gets cut given Troy's unsteady health the last two seasons. Maybe that wouldn't be such a big deal if A Smith had stepped up his play to the level of his mouth, but time will tell. If someone would take the other corner position I think Deshea would make a fine saftey as well.

The only way I see Mahan getting cut is if Hartwig really takes the center position "by the horns." And someone would have to step up and prove an able back-up.

That leaves Dookie as the obvious cap casualty. Barring a season ending injury to one of the other backs, I just don't think there is a space for him on this team anymore.

With our problems on the O line, there is no way Mahan gets cut. While some of you don't like him at center, understandably,. However, there is no way we can pick up another lineman close to what he can do at the price we have him at.

He will stay at least one more year and be given the chance to prove himself at another positionl

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I saw we go for jason taylor

OneForTheToe
05-28-2008, 12:06 AM

Do the Steelers have a dance team?

KeiselPower99
05-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Shane Oliva would be a good backup. He could get healthy and push Starks,Colon and Essex for a roster spot. Key word though is healthy.

Steel Pit
05-28-2008, 02:26 AM
I see Davenport being cut. We don't need him now that we have Mendenhall...and it will open up some cap space.

I agree, Davenport will be cut which will also open up some "crap" space.

I foresee the Steelers making at least 2 cuts from the WR position, I'm guessing Reid and Washington. Those 2 guys have been there long enough to have shown a little something by now but they haven't showed me squat.

I can also see Hoke getting the ax, I think that the Steelers will either sign Booger or one of the younger DT's is going to step up to command a roster spot.

Galax Steeler
05-28-2008, 03:30 AM
I think willie reid and davenport is definetley gone and carter could be another one.

lilyoder6
05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
i can see one of the lb's being cut. don't know which one but one will

steelreserve
05-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I can also see Hoke getting the ax, I think that the Steelers will either sign Booger or one of the younger DT's is going to step up to command a roster spot.

I just don't see that happening. Our defense basically requires three guys on the field who are capable of playing DT, and we're stretched pretty thin already. Hoke is probably one of the most important backups we've got.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Do the Steelers have a dance team?

I think Jason Taylor is still a great player and would be an upgrade to our defense

The Duke
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
i can see one of the lb's being cut. don't know which one but one will

arnold harrison maybe? he's useful for special teams though

foote? if he's beaten out of the job by timmons they should trade foote. he's still very valuable

ChronoCross
05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
arnold harrison maybe? he's useful for special teams though

foote? if he's beaten out of the job by timmons they should trade foote. he's still very valuable

With Farrior at 33 who is heading towards Retirement soon I see Foote Going no were since he gets better with age and he is only 27 and could possible move over to Farriors spot after Farrior is gone and then Timmons makes the switch to Footes spot. If any LBer gets cut it will come from the Rooks Humpel are Fox if they show nothing in camp. Far as OLBer could see as usual Fraizer are Arnold moving to practice squad depending on who does better in camp.

If Farrior is Cut there is a big cap relief but Timmons is not fully groomed yet to handle the full starting job.

Zabranksy, Dookie, Bloom, Boyd, latsko, trannon, walker, gone.. And someone keeps bringing up Krieder who has been gone.

Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Washington, Reid, Bakker will be are WRs who stay anyways. Parker, Mendhall, Davis, Russell will be the RBs who stay.

O Line up in the air as far as I am concern. With most likely look like this
Starks LT
Kemoeatu LG
Hartwig C
Simmongs RG
Smith RT

So Colon, Hill, Capizzi, Essex, Leqursky, Lentz, Mahan, Parquet, Stapleton, Fighting for a starting spot to fighting for Depth to fighting to stay on the team. Mahan forsure I want to see gone rest let them fight it out. Starks is already working at LT. They say the Line will be different so lets see who picks the right ones to stay and start.. I also say Lentz and Parquet get cut.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Shane Oliva would be a good backup. He could get healthy and push Starks,Colon and Essex for a roster spot. Key word though is healthy.

I dont mind Olivea, but dont see it happening. Smith, Starks, Colon, Hills, Essex are all at OT and I think the FO is satasfied picking 4 out of those guys to make the gameday roster.

The steelers aren't as desperate for a RT as they were when Todd Fordham was brought in to start.

Elvis
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Our dance team was taken away back in the 70's.
I think Taylor is still a good player, but there is No Way they ( or anyone else for that matter) should give them a no.1 pick for him. And I really dont think that he is the Steelers type of DE anyway.
:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Taylor can still play and somebody will probably give up a #2 or maybe a #1 for him to play DE in a 4-3. The problem is that he needs to play OLB in the 3-4 and its probably a bit too late in his career to make the switch.

DACEB
05-30-2008, 06:17 AM
I think willie reid and davenport is definetley gone and carter could be another one.

Those are the three I have also. Reid's time is done, and the writing was on the wall for Dookie with the signing of Moore and the drafting of RushHard.

After the disaster that was the Jags playoff game, I think it's time to move on without Carter. He's not getting younger, and he's not getting any better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mahan went also, as he's a pretty big cap hit. That would depend on Stapleton's progression IMO.

lilyoder6
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
i think if humpal gets cfut he will go to the pratice squad.. he might turn out to be a nice lb if he can work at it....

DACEB
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
when do they announce the cuts?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2008, 09:28 AM
when do they announce the cuts?

I've been monitoring KFFL.com and NFL.com...and been listening to sports radio....have not seen or heard anything.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
i think if humpal gets cfut he will go to the pratice squad.. he might turn out to be a nice lb if he can work at it....

It might happen, but I think he has a good shot to make the 53 man roster. My thoughts are the LB corps will look like this.

OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Davis, Fox, (Frazier is the wild card)
ILB:Farrior, Foote, Timmons, Humpal

The one thing that might happen is that Frazier makes the roster and Fox can play inside and they try to hide humpal on the p.s.

slashsteel
06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Funny seeing some of the "potential" cuts.

For one Washington has improved every year. Regardless if Sweed wins the 3 spot. Washington will be number 4 write it down he will NOT be cut.

I think Arnold Harrison sticks. He is number one off the bench until Davis learns the scheme. And more than likely in his first year Davis will primarily be a3rd down pass rusher.

Fox isn't a lock coming from a horrible Kansas City D. He will have to make his mark on special teams. Much like Frazier and Humpal will have to do as well. Who shows the FO the most on ST's out of the three will stick. Maybe even 2 will stick who knows.

Davenport could be the odd man out, or so could Russell or Carey Davis. I am sure one of the three will go.

I think the cuts will be announced later today and some more tomorrow.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Broncos | Henry released
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:02:23 -0700

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos released RB Travis Henry Monday, June 2.

Broncos | Team comments on Henry release
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:12:53 -0700

Updating a previous item, the Denver Broncos announced Monday, June 2, that they have released RB Travis Henry. "Although Travis has the ability to be one of the top running backs in the NFL, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our organization and its goal of winning a Super Bowl," head coach Mike Shanahan said. "We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team."

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos released RB Travis Henry Monday, June 2.

Henry would look great in B&G for the vet minimum. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2008, 12:45 PM

:buttkick:

rbryan
06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Keep your boots on. No doubt there will be a lot more posts over the next few days from those who are serious when they say "insert name here" would look good in the B&G...lol

43Hitman
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Yeah no doubt, and maybe Kuhn is still out there somewhere.:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Funny seeing some of the "potential" cuts.

For one Washington has improved every year. Regardless if Sweed wins the 3 spot. Washington will be number 4 write it down he will NOT be cut.

I think Arnold Harrison sticks. He is number one off the bench until Davis learns the scheme. And more than likely in his first year Davis will primarily be a3rd down pass rusher.

Fox isn't a lock coming from a horrible Kansas City D. He will have to make his mark on special teams. Much like Frazier and Humpal will have to do as well. Who shows the FO the most on ST's out of the three will stick. Maybe even 2 will stick who knows.

Davenport could be the odd man out, or so could Russell or Carey Davis. I am sure one of the three will go.

I think the cuts will be announced later today and some more tomorrow.

Yeah, for sure Washington stays this year, but tests the FA waters next season.

Davenport is gone and I was hoping somebody would take the FB spot from Davis. Parker, Moore, Mendenhall and hopefully a different FB.

Arnold Harrison hasnt shown me much, he seems to stick around camp and then get called upon when the team suffers a bunch of injuries. He's the defensive version of Walter Young.

I wanna see some decent D linemen from other teams get cut who can compete with Eason, Kirschke or Hoke for a job.

OneForTheToe
06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I think we cut

Willie Parker - cause he fumbes too often
Big Ben - because it is rumored once he was snotty with an autograph hound.
Troy - because he says funny things
Dan Rooney - because he is cheap.
Dan Sepulveda - because he he can't concentrate anyways with HTG and the other ladies oogling him while he works.
And ever player over 30 cause they cost too much.

The Duke
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah no doubt, and maybe Kuhn is still out there somewhere.:wink02:

packers would be stupid if they cut him :chuckle:

I can't wait to see the cuts. that means the next big thing is training camp, then preseason, then the start of the season :tt:

just 3 more months!!!!

Galax Steeler
06-03-2008, 04:10 AM

:toofunny::toofunny:

DACEB
06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Did the team NOT cut anyone, or have they just not announced them yet?

I haven't really seen any news from other teams either.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Did the team NOT cut anyone, or have they just not announced them yet?

I haven't really seen any news from other teams either.

Ive seen where Henry was cut..and Lamont Jordan is pending from the raiders...thats all

lilyoder6
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
yeah the only big news i heard this weekend was that t.o got an ext, pacman got a limited reinstatement, henry was cut. :o *(could be a good pick-up needing another rb) and thats it.. maybe they are keeping it on the dl

DACEB
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Ive seen where Henry was cut..and Lamont Jordan is pending from the raiders...thats all

Thanks, LLT, I've been checking rotoworld and have seen the same news. I just don't think that's all, most likely hasn't been announced yet.

Galax Steeler
06-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks, LLT, I've been checking rotoworld and have seen the same news. I just don't think that's all, most likely hasn't been announced yet.

Looks to me like they would be anouncing it I can't belive that it isn't already out.:noidea:

GBMelBlount
06-04-2008, 07:44 AM
I wanna see some decent D linemen from other teams get cut who can compete with Eason, Kirschke or Hoke for a job.

I guess that's all we can hope for at this point. Our "depth" is certainly a concern.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-04-2008, 07:49 AM
I guess that's all we can hope for at this point. Our "depth" is certainly a concern.

I think if McBean has progressed...and if we still have McFarland in our sights (waiting for him to be able to pass the physical)...we may be able to shore up our DL outside of waiting for someone to be let go.

DACEB
06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I guess with the cap going up again, maybe teams are holding on to their players.

Maybe this means thier close to a multi-year deal with Starks. I just don't understand how the team doesn't save some $$$ and release Reid and Davenport at the very least. There's no place for them anyway.

Michael Keller
06-04-2008, 08:25 AM
With Farrior at 33 who is heading towards Retirement soon I see Foote Going no were since he gets better with age and he is only 27 and could possible move over to Farriors spot after Farrior is gone and then Timmons makes the switch to Footes spot. If any LBer gets cut it will come from the Rooks Humpel are Fox if they show nothing in camp. Far as OLBer could see as usual Fraizer are Arnold moving to practice squad depending on who does better in camp.

If Farrior is Cut there is a big cap relief but Timmons is not fully groomed yet to handle the full starting job.

Zabranksy, Dookie, Bloom, Boyd, latsko, trannon, walker, gone.. And someone keeps bringing up Krieder who has been gone.

Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Washington, Reid, Bakker will be are WRs who stay anyways. Parker, Mendhall, Davis, Russell will be the RBs who stay.

O Line up in the air as far as I am concern. With most likely look like this
Starks LT
Kemoeatu LG
Hartwig C
Simmongs RG
Smith RT

So Colon, Hill, Capizzi, Essex, Leqursky, Lentz, Mahan, Parquet, Stapleton, Fighting for a starting spot to fighting for Depth to fighting to stay on the team. Mahan forsure I want to see gone rest let them fight it out. Starks is already working at LT. They say the Line will be different so lets see who picks the right ones to stay and start.. I also say Lentz and Parquet get cut.

Please enlighten me how Starks can go from being a back up lineman last year to the starting left tackle this year , especially when the Steelers' O line was poor as it was?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I guess with the cap going up again, maybe teams are holding on to their players.

Maybe this means thier close to a multi-year deal with Starks. I just don't understand how the team doesn't save some $$$ and release Reid and Davenport at the very least. There's no place for them anyway.

I am leaning more towards the fact that this is Smiths last year and Starks is our LT of the future...with Hill being groomed at RT..and Colon moving to guard. I will be keeping an eye on what the Steelers do with their front five this year.

Reid....Davenport...Frazier...Madison...Stapleton. ..could all be gone.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Please enlighten me how Starks can go from being a back up lineman last year to the starting left tackle this year , especially when the Steelers' O line was poor as it was?

Not out of the question....

1) Starks played well last year in relief...well enough that the Steelers went out of their way to keep him.

2) Smith is on the last year of his contract and will demand big money ...so it wouldnt be surprising to see Starks as a starter on one side with Smith starting on the other with Hill coming in to get reps behind Smith....setting up a Starks/Hill or Starks/Colon tackle tandem in two years.

3) The fact that the O-line played poorly actually would indicate that a change needs to be made...not that we should stand pat with what we had.

Dont get me wrong..I like Smith...but I think we better all enjoy seeing him in black and gold this coming year...because it will probably be his last.

DACEB
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Reid....Davenport...Frazier...Madison...Stapleton. ..could all be gone.

I agree (except Stapleton) and that's why I don't understand, as strapped as they are for cash, why didn't they release some guys and free up cap space?!?!

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree (except Stapleton) and that's why I don't understand, as strapped as they are for cash, why didn't they release some guys and free up cap space?!?!

With Mahan still on the roster and with my hopes of Legursky making an impact...Stapleton would be expendable.

I wonder if we will see some cuts as we start signing the new draft class...Money in/Money out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Not out of the question....

1) Starks played well last year in relief...well enough that the Steelers went out of their way to keep him.

2) Smith is on the last year of his contract and will demand big money ...so it wouldnt be surprising to see Starks as a starter on one side with Smith starting on the other with Hill coming in to get reps behind Smith....setting up a Starks/Hill or Starks/Colon tackle tandem in two years.

3) The fact that the O-line played poorly actually would indicate that a change needs to be made...not that we should stand pat with what we had.

Dont get me wrong..I like Smith...but I think we better all enjoy seeing him in black and gold this coming year...because it will probably be his last.

Nothing is out of the question, but to rebut your points

1-its well known that Starks played terribly in camp at left and right tackle which ended up getting him on the bench, then he played decently in the muck in the last few games....which still doesnt sell me that he is the future LT

2.-Both Smith and Starks are in the last year of their contracts and Smith might be more likely to extend his contract at a reasonable price than Starks would. Neither are perennial pro bowlers and while Starks is younger, Smith is only 30.

3-the fact that the line played badly is because, Smith was injured, Faneca was disgruntled, Mahan was BAD, Colon was a first year starter.

If you are a Max Starks fan, I would say this is his last year in B&G, so enjoy it. He was an insurance policy in case Smith couldnt come back and its not likely he signs a long term deal and says no thanks to the $7mil this season. Next year Starks becomes a free agent and will command more on the market unless the Steelers tag him.

Personally, I am not sold that Starks can be a starting LT in the league and I think the Steelers are better off to try and extend Smith. That would leave next season as Smith, Hills, Colon and another rookie OT and FA veteran competing for the last OT spot.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Nothing is out of the question, but to rebut your points

1-its well known that Starks played terribly in camp at left and right tackle which ended up getting him on the bench, then he played decently in the muck in the last few games....which still doesnt sell me that he is the future LT.

Exactly what i said...he played well enough that the Steelers went out of their way to keep him

2.-Both Smith and Starks are in the last year of their contracts and Smith might be more likely to extend his contract at a reasonable price than Starks would. Neither are perennial pro bowlers and while Starks is younger, Smith is only 30.

I would say that history is against us signing Smith unless he takes much less than market value...personally I would love to see him stay..but I wont hold my breath.

3-the fact that the line played badly is because, Smith was injured, Faneca was disgruntled, Mahan was BAD, Colon was a first year starter.

again ..as I said...that would indicate that a change needs to be made...Faneca is gone..Mahan will be a backup..Colon may be tried at guard...that would indicate a pretty significant change in one year.

If you are a Max Starks fan, I would say this is his last year in B&G, so enjoy it. He was an insurance policy in case Smith couldnt come back and its not likely he signs a long term deal and says no thanks to the $7mil this season. Next year Starks becomes a free agent and will command more on the market unless the Steelers tag him.

There was no market for Max last year and that has got to scare him enough to want and get a contract signed...he wont give up his cash but it should get worked into a new contract as a "bonus"...Smith will demand more on the Market and thats what leads me into thinking that he will be gone.

Personally, I am not sold that Starks can be a starting LT in the league and I think the Steelers are better off to try and extend Smith. That would leave next season as Smith, Hills, Colon and another rookie OT and FA veteran competing for the last OT spot.

I like your scenerio better...but ont see it happening unless other teams still look at smith as "damaged goods.
I am not a huge fan of Starks... just playing the averages...and as of now..unless we can get Smith signed before he goes on the market...We will stay with Starks.

GBMelBlount
06-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Unless Starks gets an attitude this year, he's probably better off with a long term deal imo. May not be better for us though.

As far as Smith, the guy hasn't even played since his surgery. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but any time I see "back" and "surgery" in the same sentence, I'm concerned.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-07-2008, 11:27 PM
LLT, I agree with you on most points, but believe that if Starks was not transition tagged that there would have been a longer term offer by another team that the Steelers would not have matched......and that would have been fine by me.

Starks is younger and some may think he has more upside than the veteran Smith. I really dont think Smith will dash for the big $$, because I dont think it will be there for him. I think Starks is more likely to find a better 2nd contract in the open market than Smith will find as his last NFL contract.

I think Smith will find an average contract for a 10 year vet and that is something the Steelers can match. They will choose to let him walk because he is a 10 year vet, not because Starks is better ....IMO.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-08-2008, 07:42 AM
LLT, I agree with you on most points, but believe that if Starks was not transition tagged that there would have been a longer term offer by another team that the Steelers would not have matched......and that would have been fine by me.

Starks is younger and some may think he has more upside than the veteran Smith. I really dont think Smith will dash for the big $$, because I dont think it will be there for him. I think Starks is more likely to find a better 2nd contract in the open market than Smith will find as his last NFL contract.

I think Smith will find an average contract for a 10 year vet and that is something the Steelers can match. They will choose to let him walk because he is a 10 year vet, not because Starks is better ....IMO.

I am hoping Smith pulls a "Bettis" and decides that a good contract and not having to move his family is more important than a great contract and all the unknowns that come with it.

steelymcmatt
06-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Cut: Carter and Davenport

At least looked at: Olivea, McFarland, Colvin

steelymcmatt
06-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Two more names to look at....

Clint Kriewaldt and Chidi Iwuoma

43Hitman
06-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Two more names to look at....

Clint Kriewaldt and Chidi Iwuoma

Chidi was such a solid ST player..I didn't even know he was still playing. How old is he?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Chidi was released almost two years ago...(on September 7, 2006).. played for the Patriots..then the Rams..and I believe he is with the Titans now.

steelymcmatt
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Chidi was released almost two years ago...(on September 7, 2006).. played for the Patriots..then the Rams..and I believe he is with the Titans now.

He did play for the Titans last year, but he is currently a free agent, at least according to NFL.com

jjpro11
06-09-2008, 12:06 AM
it seems like every time we cut chidi, our special teams go to hell and there is always a chidi love fest amongst the fans shortly after. i always liked him though, i wouldnt mind seeing him back.

Galax Steeler
06-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Chidi was a good special teams player but I think he has lost something if he was still as good as he once was then why is all of these other teams getting rid of him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
it seems like every time we cut chidi, our special teams go to hell and there is always a chidi love fest amongst the fans shortly after. i always liked him though, i wouldnt mind seeing him back.

I said 2 years ago that Anthony Madison reminds me of a young Chidi......and I believe I was correct. That is why Chidi wont be back.

I've also been hoping Kreidwalt and Kirschke would be upgraded for the past couple seasons and we're half way there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I am hoping Smith pulls a "Bettis" and decides that a good contract and not having to move his family is more important than a great contract and all the unknowns that come with it.

I definately think that is possible. He might be able to make an extra 4 mil total contract somewhere else like Atlanta, but in the grand scheme of things....he probably has enough banked to take a good contract and stay a Steeler.

I just hope the FO makes him a reasonable offer

steelymcmatt
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I definately think that is possible. He might be able to make an extra 4 mil total contract somewhere else like Atlanta, but in the grand scheme of things....he probably has enough banked to take a good contract and stay a Steeler.

I just hope the FO makes him a reasonable offer

I think if he proves himself this year they'll definitely make him a reasonable offer. There is a way that we can use some of the money in Big Ben's contract to sign other players (I think by turning bonus $ into guarantee $). I'll defer to some of our other experts on the particulars, but I remember Pat Kirwin talking about something similiar like that when the Cowgirls used some of Romo's $ this offseason.

tony hipchest
06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I think if he proves himself this year they'll definitely make him a reasonable offer. There is a way that we can use some of the money in Big Ben's contract to sign other players (I think by turning bonus $ into guarantee $). I'll defer to some of our other experts on the particulars, but I remember Pat Kirwin talking about something similiar like that when the Cowgirls used some of Romo's $ this offseason.kirwan is referring to top notch qb's contracts as "money in the bank".

with a franchise qb that you expect to retire with your team, you can always restructure his contract, give him a hefty bonus, and push his money into the future. the only drawback is when (in the case of the titans and mcnair) you wind up with a qb who is no longer productive with a $23 mil/year cap hit.

steelymcmatt
06-11-2008, 07:01 AM
kirwan is referring to top notch qb's contracts as "money in the bank".

with a franchise qb that you expect to retire with your team, you can always restructure his contract, give him a hefty bonus, and push his money into the future. the only drawback is when (in the case of the titans and mcnair) you wind up with a qb who is no longer productive with a $23 mil/year cap hit.

Thanks for the clarification....I knew there was something like that. Honestly the whole cap thing is kind of confusing to me....seems like a real shell game sometimes!