PDA

View Full Version : "Who is more deserving of their athletic celebrity status -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Da

TackleMeBen
05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Schmitz said Earnhardt is more deserving. I chose Danica and then blurted something like: "Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the most overrated athlete in American sports today."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-greene2708may27,0,3983838.column

HometownGal
05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Sorry, but this is truly one of the most moronic articles I have ever read. :banging::banging:

That is all.

TackleMeBen
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
i am not a fan of either of them.. and still thought it was kind of stupid, to the point that it was funny.

UK CANDY BEE
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Since when are race car drivers considered ATHLETES ??

Next thing, someone will try to say that GOLFERS are athletes as well !!

:rolleyes:

HometownGal
05-27-2008, 06:23 PM

While we're on the subject of true athletes there, Candy Cane, since when are the Browns considered real football players? :chuckle::laughing:

UK CANDY BEE
05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
While we're on the subject of true athletes there, Candy Cane, since when are the Browns considered real football players? :chuckle::laughing:

I'll bring you back to that comment in a few months, Gal....

....like when the standings show the Steelers looking UP at the Browns !!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/blogo.gif

revefsreleets
05-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Jerry Green is good. He has to write a column like every single day in a pseudo sports town (Orlando) filled with transplants who just want the funny. He brings it.

What did the guy say that was so wrong, anyway? Jr overrated? I predicted that Shrub would blow him away because talent always trumps equipment, and, well, here we are. Jr. has been unimpressive at best, a failure at worst.

tony hipchest
05-29-2008, 05:55 PM
What did the guy say that was so wrong, anyway? Jr overrated? I predicted that Shrub would blow him away because talent always trumps equipment, and, well, here we are. Jr. has been unimpressive at best, a failure at worst.wow. so where does that leave jeff and jimmie?

since jr has shown to be the best driver in the hendrick stable so far this season, does that mean the wondertwins were just riding the coat tails of shrubs talent for the past few years?

....like when the standings show the Steelers looking UP at the Browns !!![/B]the brownies need to learn to lift the seat and pee while STANDING UP first. until then, they will always be the Cleveland Squat2Pee's.

anyways, jr is more deserving of the atheletic celebrity status, although danica has earned hers too. both are good (great) for their respective series. when your doing videos with jay-z and tapping that market youre doing something right.

revefsreleets
05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Junior has a resume. It's that of a better-than-average driver, and that's about what he is. Now he has top equipment, and he's performing at about the same level he always has, with one exception: His equipment is usually still actually running at the end of the day now, and he's benefitted immensely because of it. Still, Johnson and Gordon have 5 Cups between them, and the season is still early.

Hey, I like Junior! I think he's pretty cool. He's just not anywhere as great as people make him out to be, and his popularity is largely inherited. No biggie, it's just that Kyle Busch was, is, and will continue to be a better race car driver.

tony hipchest
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Junior has a resume. It's that of a better-than-average driver, and that's about what he is. Now he has top equipment, and he's performing at about the same level he always has, with one exception: His equipment is usually still actually running at the end of the day now, and he's benefitted immensely because of it. Still, Johnson and Gordon have 5 Cups between them, and the season is still early.

Hey, I like Junior! I think he's pretty cool. He's just not anywhere as great as people make him out to be, and his popularity is largely inherited. No biggie, it's just that Kyle Busch was, is, and will continue to be a better race car driver.i dont get it.

if hes performing at about the same level that he always has, how is he benefitting immensely from the better equipment?

of course team hendrick and dei both have resume's too. what did dei have, a big 0 wins before jr came aboard?

what i wanna know is how jimmie magically gained all this talent upon leaving the busch series, and jr. suprisingly lost it. :noidea:

but youre right. jr is cool and many people think that, regardless of how they felt about his father. the fact that he can remain so grounded despite the presumed "silver spoon" that never existed, is the main reason i think he has earned his celebrity status.

revefsreleets
05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Easy. He hasn't won this year, but he's 3rd in points because his equipment is still running at the end of the race. It's like the year Bobby Labonte won the cup. Nobody is ever going to confuse BL and Michael Shumacher for driving skill, but consistency and limiting DNF's are enough to win in Cup.

tony hipchest
05-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Easy. He hasn't won this year, but he's 3rd in points because his equipment is still running at the end of the race. It's like the year Bobby Labonte won the cup. Nobody is ever going to confuse BL and Michael Shumacher for driving skill, but consistency and limiting DNF's are enough to win in Cup.thats too easy.

c'mon, seperating wrecks and accidents from mechanical failures, wouldnt you say about 85-90% of drivers equipment is still running at the end of the race? (id say about 4-5 cars drop out, on average, every race, because of failures).

that doesnt mean 90% are running 3rd in points though....

revefsreleets
05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
thats too easy.

c'mon, seperating wrecks and accidents from mechanical failures, wouldnt you say about 85-90% of drivers equipment is still running at the end of the race? (id say about 4-5 cars drop out, on average, every race, because of failures).

that doesnt mean 90% are running 3rd in points though....

Nope. Check out how many engine failures Jr had last year compared to this year. His equipment keeps him alive at the end, and his horsepower is a little better, but the "stick and rudder" guys will always still find a way to win. Gordon and Stewart are the best of the best in Cup at that.

tony hipchest
05-29-2008, 11:58 PM
but the "stick and rudder" guys will always still find a way to win. Gordon and Stewart are the best of the best in Cup at that.

and thats gotten them how many more wins than jr this season?

what is odd is that ive never viewed shrubb as a "stick and rudder" guy. just a guy who is "young, dumb, and full o' cum" with more talent than he really knows how to handle (yet). kurt was the same, but now age is against him, just like it is against many who are in their 30's.

we are appraoching the *no fear*, balls to the wall, x-games, ignorance is bliss, era of nascar, and talent is being trumped by youthful exuberance + premiere equipment.

anyways, if one projects jr's success over the past few years, w/o all the mechanical failures, its fair to surmise thst mightve kept him alive for a cup just like it did for the wondertwin powers.....

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I'll bring you back to that comment in a few months, Gal....

....like when the standings show the Steelers looking UP at the Browns !!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/blogo.gif

Yeah well when will that be exactly cause you open with the Cowboys and we open with the Houston Texans?

Wanna bet on who's looking down at who week 2 buddy?

millwalldavey
05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Neither. Drivers are not athletes.

revefsreleets
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
and thats gotten them how many more wins than jr this season?

what is odd is that ive never viewed shrubb as a "stick and rudder" guy. just a guy who is "young, dumb, and full o' cum" with more talent than he really knows how to handle (yet). kurt was the same, but now age is against him, just like it is against many who are in their 30's.

we are appraoching the *no fear*, balls to the wall, x-games, ignorance is bliss, era of nascar, and talent is being trumped by youthful exuberance + premiere equipment.

anyways, if one projects jr's success over the past few years, w/o all the mechanical failures, its fair to surmise thst mightve kept him alive for a cup just like it did for the wondertwin powers.....

I'm not sure about that. Plus, let's toss Dale Sr into the mix. How many wins did that guy produce by simply bumping other cars out of the way (and, many times into the wall, I might add). The golden era of NASCAR wasn't all it was cracked up to be, and the young guys are never as awful as advertised, either.

And "The wondertwins" won cups by winning races, not by staying alive at the end of the race. But there's a lot more parody now, so consistency counts more. A good driver protects his equipment and stays out of harms way, ESPECIALLY when his car is shit. When Shrub matures a little more and learns the rest of those kinds of lessons, he's going to be a truly formidable driver.

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 07:54 PM
its a conspiracy... henderick is now giving jr all the best equipment and JJ and Gordon are getting seconds.. and poor Mears is getting the scraps..lol

and by the way. how many races has it been since jr won???lol

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Patrick's show no winner

Five hundred miles were run on Sunday at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Scott Dixon became the first New Zealander to win the Indianapolis 500.

But what will be remembered?

Diminutive Danica Patrick, her gloves off, her helmet on, stomping purposefully several yards down pit road wanting to ... what? Sip tea/brawl/have a verbal confrontation with Ryan Briscoe after Briscoe apparently didn't give her space in the pits and knocked them both from the race on lap 171?

We will never know. Patrick, whom we can only imagine was seething under that racing helmet, was intercepted by a Speedway security official who ushered her back to the team pit, where she remained until the end of the race.

I watched what transpired for Patrick during the race with mixed interest. She's a talented driver, ever the competitor, and she happens to be a woman, one of three, by the way, who started the 92nd Indianapolis 500.

Sarah Fisher, who entered this 500 as a first-time owner, was subjected the past month to first-time ownership woes. She struggled for sponsorship, and she realized the challenges of wearing two hats in this sport at its biggest event. Sarah Fisher had a dreadful race on Sunday.

I am not trying to make this a tale of two women (apologies to Milka Duno, the third woman entered in the race). But Patrick could learn a few things from Fisher's grace and composure.

Frankly, I cringed when listening to Patrick's radio conversations with her crew. She sounded whiny as she complained about how slow her car was. In fairness to Patrick, however, I have listened to NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers over the radio, and they can get pretty high-pitched as they complain about this and that not being right with the car.

But enough of the made-for-television highlights, evidence of behavior I'm finding a bit tiresome and, frankly, bratty. There goes Danica, her brow furrowed, pointing her finger at driver Dan Wheldon, grabbing his arm and then giving him a shove! There goes pouty Danica after the race at Michigan International Speedway. Watch as she stomps away and knocks over the safety barrels! There goes Danica apparently on her way to pummel Ryan Briscoe!

I admit, that was a pretty funny moment. The entire Indianapolis Motor Speedway media center was riveted as the ABC camera focused on Patrick marching toward Briscoe, and there was plenty of chuckling as the gathered media watched.

There's no doubt I have an appreciation for the amazing pressure race-car drivers -- like all athletes -- are under when they are competing. Obviously, the life-or-death element of racing raises that pressure to a different level. The wild emotions involved also are understandable.

But being an athlete is also about how you handle that wide range of emotions.

I'm tired of hearing that Danica Patrick's behavior can be chalked up to how emotionally wound she is and to what a competitor she is. Guess what? There were 32 other drivers in that field Sunday who were equal in competitive nature. Being a "competitor" is not a license for being an emotional time bomb.

Just remember that you're not the only one affected by bad luck and just deal with it.

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080527/OPINION03/805270336/1047/SPORTS03

KeiselPower99
05-31-2008, 12:02 AM
I say who cares. Driving for 3 hours taking left turns dosent qualify ya as an athlete or is racing a sport. Might explain why my Father in Law dont like me to well. Anyways picking between them is like choosing the last 2 girls at the bar on a Tuesday night.

revefsreleets
06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Wouldn't be a racing thread without the ubiquitous "Racing hater". NOW it's legitimate!

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I say who cares. Driving for 3 hours taking left turns dosent qualify ya as an athlete or is racing a sport. Might explain why my Father in Law dont like me to well. Anyways picking between them is like choosing the last 2 girls at the bar on a Tuesday night.

If you feel that way about it, why comment at all then? I'm not the least bit interested in racing either, but I don't feel compelled to bash it in threads filled with folks who are interested in it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
If you feel that way about it, why comment at all then? I'm not the least bit interested in racing either, but I don't feel compelled to bash it in threads filled with folks who are interested in it.

Good Point...as long as the WNBA exists....Noone should make fun of another sport.

....except professional ping-pong...but thats just gay.

stlrtruck
06-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Good Point...as long as the WNBA exists....Noone should make fun of another sport.

....except professional ping-pong...but thats just gay.

I'll have you know I just won my 8th state championship in Ping-Pong and will be trying for the Olympic team...

Ok, well that was a complete lie...but funny! :flap:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I'll have you know I just won my 8th state championship in Ping-Pong and will be trying for the Olympic team...

Ok, well that was a complete lie...but funny! :flap:

LOL...I felt bad....for like...one second.

Elvis
06-03-2008, 07:24 AM

It really doesnt suprise me that YOU would say something like that!!!
:rofl:

Elvis
06-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I bet you watch Tennis dont ya or is it Golf?...:doh:

millwalldavey
06-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Amen.

TackleMeBen
06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I bet you watch Tennis dont ya or is it Golf?...:doh:
hey now, i watch tennis and golf..lol

PAMillerGrrl83
06-05-2008, 10:44 PM
i dont get it.

if hes performing at about the same level that he always has, how is he benefitting immensely from the better equipment?

of course team hendrick and dei both have resume's too. what did dei have, a big 0 wins before jr came aboard?

what i wanna know is how jimmie magically gained all this talent upon leaving the busch series, and jr. suprisingly lost it. :noidea:

but youre right. jr is cool and many people think that, regardless of how they felt about his father. the fact that he can remain so grounded despite the presumed "silver spoon" that never existed, is the main reason i think he has earned his celebrity status.

I agree 150% with everything you said.

revefsreleets
06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Like magic, Gordon and Johnson have both moved back into the top 10, and Gordon has been looking particuarly good of late. The only reason DE is a couple rungs higher on the standings ladder is he has a couple more top 10's than "the wonder twins". Anyway, if Jr. had a couple more DNF's like last year, he'd probably be around 15 right now, so, well, there you go. Performance about the same, equipment still running = big jump in the standings.

HometownGal
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Good points, Tony. I also think a lot of NASCAR fans expected Jr. to be like Sr., not only as far as sheer talent, but as far as aggressiveness and simply put - "being a bastard on the track" which was Sr.'s M.O. I don't see any similarities between Dale, Sr. and Jr. - different styles and very different demeanors. I respected Dale, Sr. enormously and I have the same degree of respect for Jr. He goes out there and gives it his all without resorting to being a total douchebag like a couple of other drivers on the circuit who shall remain nameless.