PDA

View Full Version : The Jason Taylor Situation

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Miami is in shambles, and Bill Parcells & Co. sure are not helping the situation.

Jason Taylor is the only star on the Miami Dolphins. He's the only recognizable face, the only pro-bowl player.

This offseason, he did Dancing with the Stars, his appearance in that kept him from the OTA's the Dolphins had.

He came in to talk with Parcells and see some teammates after the Dancing thing was over, and Parcells acted as if Taylor wasn't even in the room.

Parcells is out to make Taylor into an example, so the rest of the team will "fear" him.

It's recently been reported that Jason Taylor will not be attending any offseason workouts that the Dolphins hold, including training camp. This info didn't come from Taylor, but from the Dolphins head coach. This makes me wonder if it was Taylor refusing to attend or Parcells telling Taylor he's not wanted and to stay away.

So who is at fault here, Taylor for doing Dancing with the Stars...or Parcells for being a dictator?

Dino 6 Rings
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
That's how Parcell's works. He believes that he can show up the "best player" on the team he takes over, break the team down, and rebuild it. There is not a single player on the roster of the 07 season that Parcells won't cut. There are financial reasons to keep some of the guys around, but Bill P is there to do one thing, tear down, and rebuild. So if Taylor is the guy that gets the team's attention, that's who's he's going to use as an example. its just his way. I hope JT ends up playing on a team we don't see too often, like Arizona or Seattle or something. I don't want him in the AFC north or on a true contender's roster. Well unless its our Roster, but i don't know if he fits into our scheme and he is beyond our salary cap.

The Duke
05-27-2008, 05:56 PM
So who is at fault here, Taylor for doing Dancing with the Stars...or Parcells for being a dictator?

I think it's a little of both, taylor is obviously tired of the dolphins so he found something else to do. parcells is doing his job, and like dino said there is not a single player on the roster of the 07 season that Parcells won't cut.

taylor has even threatened to retire if he's not traded. apparently parcells won't accept anything but a 1st round pick. yes, a 1st! for a 34 years old player. they should accept a 3rd, let taylor go to a contender for the 1st time in his career, and miami rebuild with youth

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Keisel at DE...he isn't the prototypical 3-4 DE but he'd definatly take up a blocker.

I know that's how Parcells works, but JT doesn't deserve the treatment he's gotten. He's a class act, and he would have been a good vet guy to help the younger guys learn a thing or two from.

I don't think Parcells is going to do much for the Dolphins. He's gonna do more damage than good, IMHO. His act worked as a HC, but now he's strictly front office, and that's not how a front office should work.

If he doesn't want JT there, then he should have traded him for what he could have gotten in the draft. Instead he held out thinking a team was going to give up a first-rounder for him when nobody was gonna do that. Now his only options are trading him for another player or straight up cutting him.

And the only viable trade I can even see happening is Taylor to the Giants for Shockey...and that's only if Strahan retires.

BettisFan
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
if i was him i would get the hell out of there

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 06:11 PM
if i was him i would get the hell out of there

He's under contract with the team. His only ways out are trade, outright release, or retirment.

BettisFan
05-27-2008, 06:14 PM
He should demand a trade and not play

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
He should demand a trade and not play

He wants to be traded. Not because he wants out of Miami due to them sucking...but due to the fact that Parcells is a jerkoff. But Parcells doesn't want anything less than a 1st round pick, and nobody is gonna give that up for a 34 year old DE.

And I don't think he said he's gonna hold out, I think Parcells did that just to drag his name through the mud.

Also, if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid. Realisticly, you can't just not play. It's just not possible because in the end you signed a contract that legally you must adhere to. He could play bad, he could get himself benched, but he cannot just not show up.

HometownGal
05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Jason Taylor should tell Parcells to shove his God-like complex where the sun don't shine.

Personally, I'd love to continue watching Jason shaking that bootay. :lust: :getdown:

billybob
05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Jason Taylor should tell Parcells to shove his God-like complex where the sun don't shine.

Personally, I'd love to continue watching Jason shaking that bootay. :lust: :getdown:

Your bad hometown.LOL

RoethlisBURGHer
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, were back to that. they can cut him whenever they want and not pay him, but he can't walk a away. Then we the fans ridicule them for holding out. The really need to fix it for both sides.

I really sense another Steve Mcnair show down. I'm sure his agent will advise him to show up for the mandatory workout and make them turn him away at the door. I'm not a big union guy, but it seems like it is going to take some intervention for Miami to treat him right.

I agree with everything you said.

Both sides need it fixed. It's wrong that a team can cut a player whenever it wants for whatever reasons, real or false...but that player cant just walk away when the situation warrants it, such as this one.

Miami doesn't want to cut him, because that's a cap hit and they'd have to pay him any gauranteed money he is owed. They'd love to trade him, but they can't seem to find anything to their liking.

The perfect situation for Miami would be retirement. They wouldn't have to pay him, they wouldn't be cutting him so he can join another team, and they would never have to worry about facing him somewhere down the road.

I don't think the way out of this situation when a player faces it is retirment. They shouldn't be forced into it.

I think it will be just like the Steve McNair situation a few years ago. I think Parcells has told his people to say that Taylor said he's gonna hold out to drag his name through the mud, and so they don't have to face the players union if they were to bar him from the facilities without cutting him.

Hopefully when the owners and the players reach a new CBA, there can be some type of solution to this...such as the option to cut a player and not have to pay him gauranteed money (which would equal no cap hit) if both the team and the player reach the agreement with a witness that's not for either side there for the signing of the contract of release.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-28-2008, 12:10 AM
put him in black and gold

Rhee Rhee
05-28-2008, 01:10 AM
put him in black and gold

not for a first....

and we already have bruce davis... :tt02:

jason taylor needs to grow up a tad...

don't argue with someone who has 2 rings when you have none...

give respect where respect is due...

the tuna is doing the same thing he did with T.O... superstar with an ego..

steelreserve
05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Taylor is an idiot for skipping out to be on TV. But he doesn't quite strike me as a T.O.-type egomaniac. Still, that was dumb.

Like someone else said, Parcells is going to gut the entire roster anyway. There wasn't much to work with on a 1-15 team, and an aging defensive lineman making $8 million isn't exactly going to be one of your cornerstones in rebuilding mode.

I wouldn't mind having him if he would shut up and play for cheap, but that's pretty unlikely. Still, stranger things have happened.

revefsreleets
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Taylor is in no way shape or form anything like TO. He does a TON of chritable work, and is genuinely a nice guy. He wants to win a ring, and it ain't gonna happen as a Phin, and he knows that as much as anyone. I don't fault him that much.

But he is a bad fit for the Steelers at DL, and I'd say 34 is a little late to try converting him to OLB. Besides, he'd cost a fortune, and we dump bad contracts for players with diminshing skills, not acquire them.

Steeler in Carolina
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't blame Taylor for doing the Dancing thing. It's a good way to get his name out there to people who don't already know who he is. His football career isn't going to last much longer and he'll need something else to do, so this opens him up to more opportunities.

As for Parcells, he his an ass and I'm glad the Steelers would never hire someone like him.

SteelersJW
05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Jason Taylor is a pansy through and through. I don't care if he was recently the defensive MVP of the NFL. I would give everything I have to play in the NFL and he's throwing it away to do "Dancing With The Stars."

Galax Steeler
05-30-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't see what the big deal is why parcells is throwing such a fit cause he was dancing.:noidea:

lilyoder6
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
it looks like barry sanders in detroit... they wouldn't let him go and he didn't want to play 4 that shit hole of a franchice back in the 90's and he retired after 10 season in which it seemed like he had like 5-6 yrs left.. hopefully they can work something out

HughC
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Jason Taylor has finally spoken to the media about his situation (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-0528jasontaylornew,0,989322.story) and it sounds like he's accepted the reality that he won't play for the Dolphins. Question is, why don't the Dolphins just trade him, then? Does Parcells really think he'll get more the longer he waits? I would think the price is going to go down, not up, as teams get their rosters and lineups set.

If Taylor misses the first mandatory veterans minicamp (June 6-8) as expected, he would be subject to fines. According to sources Taylor's representatives had expected to meet with the Dolphins after his tournament, however, the Dolphins canceled the meeting. "We'll work with football here in the near future," Taylor said.

Can they really fine him if they have already said "Jason Taylor will not be at training camp" and cancel meetings with him? I'm having trouble following Sparano's and Parcells' logic here.

MACH1
05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
On NFL network they said dallass is interested in trading for him. Weather they do or not , just have to wait and see.

BettisFan
05-30-2008, 11:33 PM
I hope he gets out of MIami he has so much talent

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2008, 03:47 PM
So the Parcells regime cancells the meeting and anounces that he won't be attending team functions.

This sounds like they don't want him coming around, not that he is not showing up on his own accord.

They don't want him there, he doesn't want to be there....TRADE HIM THEN.

Take the best package you can get from him and then ship him out. Preferably to a contender so he can at least contend for a Super Bowl, something he hasn't had a chance to do in Miami his entire career.

HughC
05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
So the Parcells regime cancells the meeting and anounces that he won't be attending team functions.

This sounds like they don't want him coming around, not that he is not showing up on his own accord.

They don't want him there, he doesn't want to be there....TRADE HIM THEN.

Take the best package you can get from him and then ship him out. Preferably to a contender so he can at least contend for a Super Bowl, something he hasn't had a chance to do in Miami his entire career.

Didn't Miami do the same thing a year ago, when they would not allow Daunte Culpepper to work out at training camp? If I was Taylor's agent, I would advise him to call the Dolphin's bluff and show up for the next workout.

lilyoder6
05-31-2008, 11:24 PM
the only reason miami said he wouldn't show up was b/c jason said he wasn't going to show.. and evry player who doesn't go to required camp will be fined.. look at lj from last yr getting fined like 15 grand a day

jjpro11
06-01-2008, 02:59 AM
On NFL network they said dallass is interested in trading for him. Weather they do or not , just have to wait and see.

dallas has to get their name in every trade/free agent rumor that comes up.

MACH1
06-01-2008, 03:46 AM
the only reason miami said he wouldn't show up was b/c jason said he wasn't going to show.. and evry player who doesn't go to required camp will be fined.. look at lj from last yr getting fined like 15 grand a day

Last that was reported, jason was going to show up. What wasn't known was if miami was going to bar him and if he didn't show up knowing he was banned if he would get fined for a no show. :noidea: Talk about a rock and a hard place.

Thats the last I heard.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Actually, all reports are that he was going to show up and then the HC of the 'Phins said they don't expect (read: DON'T WANT HIM TO) show up.

It looks more like they are trying to tell him not to show up, he's not welcome. They just don't want to say it, because he's under contract and they cannot ban him from working out with the team. So instead, they are making it look like he's going to be a holdout.

He has the polish down. Taylor doesn't want to discuss the alleged tension with Parcells. He could make a public mess and demand to be traded after Parcells allegedly disrespected him with the silent treatment, but what's the point? The fan base might turn on him if he goes the loud trade-me route, and what kind of way is that to punctuate his exceptional Dolphins career? Better to just keep dancing. So what if Parcells is mad? Taylor once knocked Jimmy Johnson's hands off him during a sideline disagreement, and there have only been one, two, three, four, five new bosses since then if you count Jim Bates.

Besides, Parcells doesn't always have the most mature managing style. He once called an injured receiver, Terry Glenn, ''she.'' He refused to address diva Terrell Owens by name, calling him The Player. It might not be long before he goes from giving Taylor the silent treatment to calling him The Dancer.

But, for the record, Taylor has tried swallowing his Hollywood desires for every previous Dolphins coach, and all he has to show for it is six years without a playoff appearance. Wichard says Taylor turned down a part in Ghost Rider, the Nicolas Cage action film, because it was overseas during Nick Saban's offseason regimen. Never mind all the meetings and commercial opportunities ignored under Dave Wannstedt and Cam Cameron. Taylor signed on for Dancing With the Stars on Dec. 11, before Parcells was even hired here.

How could he check on what Parcells wants or didn't want if Parcells wasn't even the boss then?

Asked how his life has changed, Taylor says, ``It has gotten crazy. Crazier. Everything is different. It has been a blast.''

He wore eye black and his partner wore Dolphins colors in their most recent dance to the theme of Monday Night Football. Through force of will and personality, he is going to merge his two worlds whether his boss likes it or not. He punctuated his last dance by making the signals referees make after a score, arms raised in triumph.

Touchdown?

No, Jason Taylor isn't touching down.

He's taking off.

That is at the end of this link (http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/521267.html).

I'm sorry, but JT has every right to do what he wants in the offseason...be it act or dance. His career as a football player is almost over, he has every right to branch out and start making a name for himself somewhere else so he can have a career beyond football.

lilyoder6
06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
but he aslo has a team that he needs o be part of.... i could care-less what happenes.. as long as he doesn't go to ne

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
but he aslo has a team that he needs o be part of.... i could care-less what happenes.. as long as he doesn't go to ne

A team that is in dissaray with a GM that's a complete pompous ass. He signed on for Dancing before Parcells ever took over. Taylor had no idea that he would have lasted to the finals. He could have been the first voted off the show.

It's been made clear by the Dolphins front office that they do not want Taylor around, therefore he cannot be part of the team.

HughC
06-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Taylor's a no-show at mandatory mini camp, that will cost him $8k per day. Publicly Parcells is saying the whole thing is overblown but I think Parcells has painted himself into a corner. In my opinion he thought he could get teams into a bidding war for Taylor, but when Taylor said he only wanted to play one more year his value dropped.

Bill Parcells and Jason Taylor finally met Thursday. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-jasonnew08a,0,6103379.story)

The Dolphins vice president of football operations and the six-time Pro Bowl defensive end spoke at length at Grande Oaks Golf Club on Thursday, according to two sources. During the meeting, Parcells told Taylor that he would like him to play for the Dolphins, and emphasized that the trade market had cooled. He also encouraged Taylor to participate in offseason activities. Still, as widely expected, Taylor was a no-show at Friday's mandatory minicamp.

The meeting came after Parcells spoke to local print reporters individually during a promotional appearance for Gatorade at Bayfront Park in Miami. In breaking a two-month media silence, Parcells told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that reports of a rift between himself and Taylor were "overblown."

He said Thursday that he simply didn't have his hearing aids the day that Taylor -- back in South Florida on a break from Dancing with the Stars -- entered a crowded room during a film session. So he didn't know Taylor was there.

stlrtruck
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Taylor's a no-show at mandatory mini camp, that will cost him $8k per day. Publicly Parcells is saying the whole thing is overblown but I think Parcells has painted himself into a corner. In my opinion he thought he could get teams into a bidding war for Taylor, but when Taylor said he only wanted to play one more year his value dropped.

Bill Parcells and Jason Taylor finally met Thursday. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-jasonnew08a,0,6103379.story)

He said Thursday that he simply didn't have his hearing aids the day that Taylor -- back in South Florida on a break from Dancing with the Stars -- entered a crowded room during a film session. So he didn't know Taylor was there.

Yeah and my wife didn't have hers in when I was speaking to her the other day too (oh wait, nevermind)! :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Ok, I'm not a Parcells fan by any stretch, but I have to put this into perspective.

How many playoff games has J. Taylor played in? How many SB rings does he have?

How many playoff games has Bill P coached? How many SB rings does he have?

Balance to Parcells. The guy rebuilds teams. The Patriots were garbage before he got there and he fixed that ship. Then he took the Jets to the playoffs, the Jets hadn't don't crap before he got there for almost 10 years. Then he fixed Dallas to at least be competetive again, something they hadn't really been since 1996. I have to believe, with history has proof, that the Dolphins will be a better team next season, and into the coming years because of Bill Parcells and not because of one DE. So whatever Bill P decides to do with Taylor or any other Dolphin, he's doing it to improve the team in the long run, not to quick fix for the time being. Taylor should consider that, especially with the depth of young talent in the league, not too many teams want to pay high market price for an aging Defensive End.