PDA

View Full Version : You have got to be kidding me.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Ben Roethlisberger said he has a better grasp of the offense Bruce Arians installed last year and is more cognizant of where his outlet receivers are when he comes under a heavy rush. Better awareness, Roethlisberger said, should cut down the number of times he is sacked this season.

That is not to say the Steelers will need less laundry detergent for Roethlisberger's uniform or that the Pro Bowler is trading in his swashbuckling style for a more conservative approach.

"I'm still going to get (sacked), because I'm still going to try to scramble and make plays," said Roethlisberger, who became the highest-paid player in Steelers history in March. "You look at all the big plays we've made, and then you take the sacks. You kind of have to live with it."

If Roethlisberger is willing to live with it, so too are the Steelers. After all, he is the one who absorbs the physical punishment, and the trade-off for the 47 sacks he took last season appeared to be well worth it.

Roethlisberger had arguably the greatest regular season by a Steelers quarterback in 2007, as he set a franchise record with 32 touchdown passes and turned in the best passer rating (104.1) this side of Tom Brady.

His ability to improvise and create a big play when it looks like everything has broken down around him has set Roethlisberger apart as the 26-year-old heads into his fifth NFL season.

The dramatic increase in sacks he has taken the past two years compared to his first two seasons in the NFL shows in some way how much his role and influence in the offense has grown.

"He's one of the quarterbacks who has the unique ability to not only keep plays alive but make plays when it seems they're dead," Steelers tight end Heath Miller said. "That's what makes him fun to play with."

Roethlisberger's derring-do is why coaches have drilled into his teammates to never give up on a play when he has the ball - to "stay alive," as backup tight end Matt Spaeth put it.

The downside to the 6-foot-5, 241-pounder's aversion to throwing the ball away is that Roethlisberger makes himself more vulnerable to the kind of hit that could knock him out of a game or sideline him for even longer.

The risk of reining in Roethlisberger is that he might not be the same dynamic playmaker he has been.

But there may be a happy medium for Roethlisberger, and it's all about having a deeper understanding of the offense Arians installed after becoming the Steelers' offensive coordinator in January 2007.

"Knowing where the (running) backs are, knowing where the check-down guys are," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to be able to get the ball out of my hand sometimes (instead of getting sacked) and get it to our playmakers."

Not that he plans to stop being one himself.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_569892.html

Cannot believe you guys are trusting Bruce Arians with the offense! Did you guys see us under Butch Davis by chance, and how Timmy Couch's career got ruined all to quickly?

MACH1
05-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Cannot believe you guys are trusting Bruce Arians with the offense! Did you guys see us under Butch Davis by chance, and how Timmy Couch's career got ruined all to quickly?

Are you just skeerd or jealous.

Tim couch sucked anyways and wheres davis at now?
Arians isn't in clown town any more.

tony hipchest
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

lol. you got to be kidding me. did you just compare big ben and mike tomlin to tim couch and butch davis???

:toofunny:

btw, arians got his job with the browns based off his work with peyton manning. big difference working with manning or ben as opposed to couch.

Dino 6 Rings
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Ok, first off, you have to have weapons to run any effective offense. Tim Couch was a bust, not a weapon. The Cleveland offense back then needed to have Arians to create some type of plays cause the talent was a freaking joke. Lets look at it shall we...

Our Talent now, with Arians, Ben, Ward, Washington, Holmes, Miller, Parker, now Sweed and Mendenhall.

Cleveland's talent with Arians 2001, QB, Couch, WRs Andre King, Tony Simmons, Dennis Northcutt, Quincy Morgan, Kevin Johnson, JaJuan Johnson, RB Benjamin gay, Jamal White.
2002, QB Kelly Holcomb, Tim Couch, WRs, Andre Davis, Frisman jackson, Kevin Johnson, Andre King, Quincy Morgan, Northcutt, RB, Jamal White, James Jackson, R.J. Bowers.
2003, QB, Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, WRs, Andre Davis, Frisman Jackson, Kevin Johnson, Andre King, Quincy Morgan, Northcutt, RBs, Jamel White, Lee Suggs, Nick Maddox, R.J. Bowers.

So...is it Arians fault that the Browns didn't excel on offense during the 2001 - 2003 seasons, or maybe just maybe, he didn't quite have the talent at all the positions he needed in order for the team to be successful.

Dino 6 Rings
05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Now if you want, we can break down the offensive lines, the Defense (which puts your offense in good field position or puts your offense into a hole) and we can break down coaching schemes and schedules to determine if Arians was the reason Cleveland was not very successful, but I think you get the point.

Back off my coach, and go get your head coach another donut.

rbryan
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I wonder what Tim Sofa is doing right now? lol

I'm guessing everyone in Cleveland was loving Arians play calling right up until the bitter end of the 03 playoff game.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Now if you want, we can break down the offensive lines, the Defense (which puts your offense in good field position or puts your offense into a hole) and we can break down coaching schemes and schedules to determine if Arians was the reason Cleveland was not very successful, but I think you get the point.

Back off my coach, and go get your head coach another donut.

oh, ouch RAC is fat, like we didn't know that already. :flap:. Heck the nickname for him is "grimace" amongst browns fans.

No the reason why Arians was unsuccessful in Cleveland is because he and Butchy ignored the offensive line until it bit him in a**..

Allowing sacks to happen as part of the game plan and thinking your QB can manage on his own is really foolish.

Dino 6 Rings
05-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Sacks do happen, no one goes sackless for the year. The problem was two fold last season with sacks, first the o-line didn't work well with Mahan at center, that made the guards have to block down to the inside instead of helping block out toward the tackles, next Ben held the ball too long because he didn't trust his outlet receivers enough. It was a first year system and he broke the Franchise record with passing tds that held since TB was at the helm. Sure sometimes he waits too long to just tuck it and run with it, cause you may remember, he can run 30 yard TDs if he needs to, but he needed to learn the new offense even better, and that is what he's done. Now you try to indicate it wasn't Arians' offensive play calling that was to blame but your weak sauce o-line. Well figure it out before you get down on our o-coordinator.

Edman
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
And despite all this, "Botch Davis" and "that idiot" Bruce Arians took that 2002 Browns team to the playoffs. Where they almost beat...the Steelers. In fact, Botch Davis actually managed to beat the Steelers at least once in 2003. That's something Romeo Crennell has yet to do.

Tim Couch's career got ruined because he was a bust. He didn't have it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
No the reason why Arians was unsuccessful in Cleveland is because he and Butchy ignored the offensive line until it bit him in a**..

The reason that Arians was unsuccessful in Cleveland was because of that mediocre line, average defense and even worse running game. Not something likely to happen in the burgh

I seem to remember sometime back in the 2003 playoffs that your boys Butchy and BA had a wildcard playoff game in the bag with Holcombe, Northcutt, Johnson putting up points in the air, but William Green's lack of a running game and some dumb defensive penalties couldnt seal the deal. Man that was a great game.

I dont like Arians bizarre playcalling sometimes and really think a good FB needs to be there in the short yardage downs, but he is actually puts more pressure on opposing defenses more than Whiz and the heavy dose of the run game.

atlsteelers
05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
i prefered whiz and mike mularkey. atlanta picked hin as the new OC this winter. i would have been stoked if the steelers had hired him. arians stinks!

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
i prefered whiz and mike mularkey. atlanta picked hin as the new OC this winter. i would have been stoked if the steelers had hired him. arians stinks!

Mularkey was the guy of the last 3 that I really liked the least. He often went to the gadget play too often for my liking rather than choosing a solid football play.

When you rely on gadget plays too much, it basically says you cant beat the opposing team straight up with the talent you have, so you gotta resort to trickery......and that wasnt the case in his era. He's still a better coordinator than Head Coach.

j-dawg
05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Allowing sacks to happen as part of the game plan and thinking your QB can manage on his own is really foolish.

As a fellow Browns fan it pains me to point this out to you RWWPC.

"Roethlisberger had arguably the greatest regular season by a Steelers quarterback in 2007, as he set a franchise record with 32 touchdown passes and turned in the best passer rating (104.1) this side of Tom Brady."

Derrick Anderson, being sacked half the times Ben was last year, had 29 passing and 3 rushing touchdowns with a passer rating of 82.5.

This article, in a round about way, is telling the critics, whom think the offensive line for the Steelers this year is going to be bad, to slow their roll. You got to respect Roethlisbergers ability to stay upright... he's called Big Ben for a reason, dude is hard to take down. I've seen to many games where he turns a disaster into a first down or a touchdown. He IS the Steelers X factor and any offensive coach in the NFL would look good with him as their QB.

That's why you gotta get to him fast, with numbers, and take him to the turf. I'm hoping the Browns D can do that this year. If not, I can guarantee you'll see Ben run 15 yards up the middle for a score. Either way, they're going to be great games to watch!! :popcorn: :drink:

DACEB
05-29-2008, 03:16 PM
That's why you gotta get to him fast, with numbers, and take him to the turf. I'm hoping the Browns D can do that this year. If not, I can guarantee you'll see Ben run 15 yards up the middle for a score. Either way, they're going to be great games to watch!! :popcorn: :drink:

good post, j-dawg!

I'd be careful blitzing now though with the amount of weapons we now have on offense. You're right about them being great games to watch, Ben has been money against Ohio.

TackleMeBen
05-29-2008, 04:03 PM
good post, j-dawg!

I'd be careful blitzing now though with the amount of weapons we now have on offense. You're right about them being great games to watch, Ben has been money against Ohio.
cant we just move all our games to Ohio and then we wouldnt lose:chuckle:

Preacher
05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
As a fellow Browns fan it pains me to point this out to you RWWPC.

"Roethlisberger had arguably the greatest regular season by a Steelers quarterback in 2007, as he set a franchise record with 32 touchdown passes and turned in the best passer rating (104.1) this side of Tom Brady."

Derrick Anderson, being sacked half the times Ben was last year, had 29 passing and 3 rushing touchdowns with a passer rating of 82.5.

This article, in a round about way, is telling the critics, whom think the offensive line for the Steelers this year is going to be bad, to slow their roll. You got to respect Roethlisbergers ability to stay upright... he's called Big Ben for a reason, dude is hard to take down. I've seen to many games where he turns a disaster into a first down or a touchdown. He IS the Steelers X factor and any offensive coach in the NFL would look good with him as their QB.

good post....

good analysis.

are you sure your not a closet steelers fan?

:wink02:

Lord Stiller
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Derrick Anderson is garbage that the Raisins threw away. How dare you even mention him in the same breath as Big Ben

Gay-dy Quinn will be starting by midseason

The Duke
05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
"I'm still going to get (sacked), because I'm still going to try to scramble and make plays," said Roethlisberger, who became the highest-paid player in Steelers history in March. "You look at all the big plays we've made, and then you take the sacks. You kind of have to live with it."

that's the spirit ben :tt:

"Knowing where the (running) backs are, knowing where the check-down guys are," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to be able to get the ball out of my hand sometimes (instead of getting sacked) and get it to our playmakers."

that's where mewelde and mendenhall pay off

cant we just move all our games to Ohio and then we wouldnt lose:chuckle:

lol

TackleMeBen
05-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Derrick Anderson is garbage that the Raisins threw away. How dare you even mention him in the same breath as Big Ben

Gay-dy Quinn will be starting by midseason
there went my coke all over the screen..lol.. i am not sold on anderson as being the real deal, he hasnt proven anything.. where as ben has. :wink02:

NJarhead
05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
And despite all this, "Botch Davis" and "that idiot" Bruce Arians took that 2002 Browns team to the playoffs. Where they almost beat...the Steelers. In fact, Botch Davis actually managed to beat the Steelers at least once in 2003. That's something Romeo Crennell has yet to do.
Tim Couch's career got ruined because he was a bust. He didn't have it.

I'm glad someone said it, because I was about to.

TackleMeBen
05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
but couch had a great college career at UK

Galax Steeler
05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Look for Ben to have another big year with what we added to our offense it will be another big year for him.

atlsteelers
05-29-2008, 04:42 PM
i am just not sold on arians yet. although, its hard to blame all of the sacks on arians because ben loves to hold onto ball. they seemed to lack a rythym on offense alot last year and that last drive of the jacksonville game still makes me ill.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I am not completly sold on Arians yet, but I don't wanna fire him. Last year was the first year in Arian's offensive system. It was our first year under Mike Tomlin. Towards the end of the year we lost Willie Parker. During parts of the year we were without Ward or Holmes.

Even with all that, Big Ben threw for 32 touchdowns and ran for a few too. He also got sacked a lot...but Mahan couldn't block his way out of a wet paper bag and Ben did hold onto the ball when he should have thrown it away quite a few times.

Also, as for the Browns fans bashing Arians for the troubles in Cleveland...his offensive system did take you to the playoffs using the likes of hacks such as Holcombe.

Arian's biggest problem in Cleveland was Butch Davis. Arians didn't choose who was drafted or signed in free agency, Butch Davis did. Davis ignored the offensive line. Davis was the biggest problem with the Browns at that time.

Hapa
05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I can't respond seriously with that ugly thing named Joe Thomas on your sig.

j-dawg
05-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Ugly or not, I'm sure every one in here would agree Joe Thomas can ball.

j-dawg
05-29-2008, 10:10 PM
good post....

good analysis.

are you sure your not a closet steelers fan?

:wink02:

Positive preach... nothing would make me happier than to see the Browns beat the Steelers this year at home. I'd love to see Ben take a sack for a loss or a forced throw for an interception.

It just doesn't happen that often so my :hatsoff:

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Positive preach... nothing would make me happier than to see the Browns beat the Steelers this year at home. I'd love to see Ben take a sack for a loss or a forced throw for an interception.

It just doesn't happen that often so my :hatsoff:

I have nothing to really add, except your screen name makes me laugh. One of my best-friends is a Browns fan and he once said to me "Bettis is pretty good" in this really defeated tone. It's the same tone I hear when I read your screen name lol.

Anyways, I love Big Ben and think Arians will do consistently well in time, but seriously, please no more 47 sack seasons. No reason for that.

GBMelBlount
05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I am not completly sold on Arians yet, but I don't wanna fire him. Last year was the first year in Arian's offensive system. It was our first year under Mike Tomlin. Towards the end of the year we lost Willie Parker. During parts of the year we were without Ward or Holmes.

Even with all that, Big Ben threw for 32 touchdowns and ran for a few too. He also got sacked a lot...but Mahan couldn't block his way out of a wet paper bag and Ben did hold onto the ball when he should have thrown it away quite a few times.

Nothing I can disagree with here. I am going to reserve judgement on Arians until at LEAST after this year.

j-dawg
05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I have nothing to really add, except your screen name makes me laugh. One of my best-friends is a Browns fan and he once said to me "Bettis is pretty good" in this really defeated tone. It's the same tone I hear when I read your screen name lol.

Anyways, I love Big Ben and think Arians will do consistently well in time, but seriously, please no more 47 sack seasons. No reason for that.

hmm.. j-dawg has a defeated tone to ya? well, okay, can't fault a guy for what they're hearing... but i must submit that there's no defeated tone in what i'm saying. my team went 10-6 last year and got some great talent in the offseason. i can't wait for the games to begin!

TackleMeBen
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM

:iagree: 47 sacks for someone that is as big as that is crazy.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-29-2008, 11:10 PM

Would you rather have me have "supercuts" model Brady Quinn?

I dig Joe, he's an old school lineman, and that was probably the greatest draft pick we've made in the past 20 years. He's not flashy, but he does his job and does it pretty darn good job at it. Besides ANYONE can have a pic of Braylon, KWII, Cribbs etc, as their sig, not so much for Joe and I think he should get more credit for our 10-6 rekkid.

BettisFan
05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
For everyone to know I disagree Joe Thomas cant "Ball"

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-29-2008, 11:33 PM
hmm.. j-dawg has a defeated tone to ya? well, okay, can't fault a guy for what they're hearing... but i must submit that there's no defeated tone in what i'm saying. my team went 10-6 last year and got some great talent in the offseason. i can't wait for the games to begin!

Sorry I meant Rodwoodsonwasprettycool. So few Browns fans around here, and I'm tired! :sofunny:

Blitzburgh_Fever
05-29-2008, 11:42 PM

Man Joe Thomas is pretty friggin good. Braylon Edwards (who is also damn good) and Andersen got most of the media attention, but Thomas was 22 and playing like a top 5 tackle. Argue about Andersen all you want, but OL, and even further than that OT, is one of the few areas where you can tell when someone isn't pulling their weight.

By all means, hate on the Browns :flap:, but Joe Thomas is the real deal. :drink:

The Duke
05-30-2008, 12:09 AM

what??

I understand hating on the browns, but you gotta admit thomas is a damn good player. he was only a rookie last year and played like a vet. I'd say he's the main reason for the browns o line success, though the entire line is pretty good.

still, thomas is becoming one of the best tackles in the game, and yes, he can ball

BettisFan
05-30-2008, 12:31 AM
i was just kidding with the browns fan Duke i know Thomas was a beast in the league last year dont worry i am not that ignorant lol

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-30-2008, 02:08 AM
i was just kidding with the browns fan Duke i know Thomas was a beast in the league last year dont worry i am not that ignorant lol

Aren't you that guy that has that video on youtube with the analysis on the season? I did like that. I wrote you a few comments about that.

Galax Steeler
05-30-2008, 04:42 AM
what??

I understand hating on the browns, but you gotta admit thomas is a damn good player. he was only a rookie last year and played like a vet. I'd say he's the main reason for the browns o line success, though the entire line is pretty good.

still, thomas is becoming one of the best tackles in the game, and yes, he can ball

Can't wait to see Timmons and Woodley busting through that line.

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 10:08 AM
:iagree:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Yeah, when I hear the term "ballin" I dont think of O linemen. Thomas is a great blocker and might probably still have been a better pick than Adrian Peterson....Offenses are built on the O-line.

That being said, Thomas and Levi Brown needed to thank Jake Long for their contracts. If he came out as a junior instead of wasting his senior season at Michigan, Long would have been the first OT taken.

j-dawg
05-30-2008, 10:27 AM

just like I can't wait to see the Browns D busting through the Steelers line!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-30-2008, 10:37 AM

I dont know. Cleveland has always been a wastland for free agent linemen. They seem to pick guys up in FA and their play declines and are released a couple years later. You guys do your best work thru drafting (try to forget Courtney Brown).

Gotta rely on the slobs up front to occupy blockers and count on Wimbley for sacks. Much like the Steelers rely on anybody but Keisel, Hampton, Smith for sacks.

lilyoder6
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM

thats fine then we will just bust thru ur pathetic so called secondary

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Browns fans are so adorable. Never mind they open with the Dallas Cowboys, they are focussed on Week 2. Geesh, if you lose to Dallas and then to the Steelers, 0-2 will have the "we want Quinn" chants going strong.

KeiselPower99
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone remember where Arians started this offense?? It was with a lil known qb from Rocky Top named Payton Manning. Kelly Holcomb and Tim Couch were no Peyton. Now Ben is. So asking a qb to call his own audibles and line pickups isnt far fetched. Bradshaw did it too. The sacks will go down and the O line will look better this year.

Elvis
05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I hope that your right mr keisel. I think that our oline should be improved over last years' line. Just for the fact that we have a true Center in Hartwig and the experience that Colon had last year. I am not a fan of Ben calling his blocking schemes. I look forward to seeing the WR corp this season, if the Oline can give Ben the time he needs this is gonna be another record breaking season for Ben.
:tt02:

LVSteelersfan
05-30-2008, 12:32 PM
With that monster schedule the Brownies are starting out with I see no better record than about 2-6 at the halfway point of the season. It takes time for defenses to gel into a unit and they have to do it against the Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Jags, etc. I think they will split with the Ravens and Bengals and the first two against them are away games. I predict Browns fans will be screaming for Crennel's and DA's heads by the 5th or 6th game and chanting to put the pretty boy in. Perhaps they will do better in the second half of the season because the schedule is slightly better. Of course, only time will tell.

The_WARDen
05-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Browns fans are so adorable. Never mind they open with the Dallas Cowboys, they are focussed on Week 2. Geesh, if you lose to Dallas and then to the Steelers, 0-2 will have the "we want Quinn" chants going strong.

What do you mean IF??

NJarhead
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM

The Bowns have a D? When did that happen? To be honest I really hadn't noticed. :noidea:

j-dawg
05-30-2008, 07:48 PM

The Browns lost ONE home game last year... and you think they're going to double that number in the frist two weeks of this season... :coffee:

Steelman16
05-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Aren't we talking about a defense that allowed 50 some-odd points to the Bungals? And you expect to score something like that against the 'Boys? I like your optimism, but for all my Cowboys hate, they're still a good team. (they just choke in the playoffs...)

I agree with Dino, I'm going with 0-2 to start the season for the Brownies.

Stlrs4Life
05-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Whiz I can see, but you can not be serious about Mike Mularkey. He had 1 good season with us.

Stlrs4Life
05-30-2008, 10:22 PM
The Browns lost ONE home game last year... and you think they're going to double that number in the frist two weeks of this season... :coffee:

It's a new season, so yeah, it is possible. Plus look at your schedule, no more cake schedule for yas.

j-dawg
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM
It's a new season, so yeah, it is possible. Plus look at your schedule, no more cake schedule for yas.

Hey, don't want to rain on the parade here, but it's not like the Steelers schedule is a cake walk... we have practically the same schedule every year... last year the Browns had the same record as the Steelers... just couldn't beat 'em. The "cake" schedule you speak of doesn't exist.