PDA

View Full Version : Steelers All-Time Backfield?

Elvis
05-30-2008, 12:04 PM
:hatsoff:Hello everyone

My poll question for you all reads like this..
Which all-time Steelers Running Back is or was your favorite and give us some reasons...
Here are some choices, but if I forget your favorite add them in..

Franco Harris
Rocky Bleir
Barry Foster
Bam Morris
Jerome Bettis
Willie Parker

Lord Stiller
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Best all-time backfield would be Franco Harris at fullback and Jerome Bettis at halfback.

That would be sick! Opposing defenses would forfeit halfway through the game

Steeldude
05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
foster would have been the best if he didn't go mental.

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Harris is my first choice followed by Bettis.

Preacher
05-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Is this based on individual acheivements... or on what the backfield would be like?

If it is based on how the backfield would perform, Franco and Jerome would not be a good choice. They are the same type of back, and neither one was a real pass threat out of the backfield. . . if I remember right... the immaculate reception not withstanding!

PisnNapalm
05-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Franco Harris and Willie Parker.

Both were/are a threat to take it to the house anytime they touch the ball.

I love Jerome as much as any Steelers fan but I'd take Harris. He was just faster and had the size.

Preacher
05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Franco Harris and Willie Parker.

Both were/are a threat to take it to the house anytime they touch the ball.

I love Jerome as much as any Steelers fan but I'd take Harris. He was just faster and had the size.

I think I have to agree with that... though I wonder about Willie's blocking at times.

However, I think that would be an unbelievable duo.

The_WARDen
05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
I always go with the one who played the best in the big games and that would be Franco. I think he owned a few Super Bowl records.

Bettis was probably my second favorite but he always seemed to have issues come playoff time.

millwalldavey
05-30-2008, 04:14 PM
What about John Henry Johnson?

Elvis
05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
:tt02: I guess I didnt make it clear on what I was asking, but it doesnt matter everyone. I was just thinking of who is your favorite RB period of the past or present Steelers. I just loved the way that Barry Foster and Bam Morris carried the ball with power and decent speed for that matter. Foster could have been a very good back and Morris was the best RB in super bowl xxx vs the CowBOYS

19ward86
05-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Harris then Bettis.

Steelman16
05-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Well Elvis, you did say backfield :wink02:

I would choose Harris as fav all-time back, but for a backfield, I'd go with Harris and Willie.

Steeldude
05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
barry foster, for that one single year, is my favorite RB on the steelers.

LambertLunatic
05-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I think Jerome was a better back than Franco. Franco had better O lines and Rocky blocking for him. Also, opposing defenses had to respect the pass more in the Franco Era, so they couldn't put 8 guys up front to stop the run.

UK CANDY BEE
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Bettis was tremendous, no doubt !!

Parker IS pretty doggone good, also no doubt !!

I can even appreciate a guy like Barry Foster, even though his time was short.

But I simply CANNOT put Franco Harris on a list of all time great running backs. The guy ran for THREE TIMES as much yardage going SIDE TO SIDE than he ever did up the field !!

If Franco got credit in the record books for all those sideways yards, he'd have TWICE Emmitt Smith's total !!

Harris was _ _____ !!

Hammer Of The GODS
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Jerome Bettis hands down!

Why the Bus?

Let's use some perspective here...

Let's face it, Francos Steelers were WAY better than JB's Steelers! It wasn't until his final 2 years that JB had a team that took some pressure off the run game, and by then JB was almost used up( except for that unbelievable performance against the Bears in the snow and mud!) The Bus was the Steelers offense from the time he got here until Ben showed up! Think about the list of QBs JB had to play with! Tommy(INT for a TD)Maddox, Kent (lead statue) Graham, Mike (career backup)Tomczak, Korkie(shoulda stayed at WR) Stewart, and Jim(who the hell is that) Miller! Not exactly a stellar group. We all know who was in front of Franco! Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Franco and all he did for the Burgh. But if your gonna make comparisons you have got to take each player and put him with the other guys team and ask yourself "would he have been better on his team?" If you ask that question about JB and Franco, the Bus comes out on top in my opinion. In comparing championships Franco is the clear cut winner. But, put JB on Francos team and he would have just as many rings. And don't forget JB blew by Franco on the all time yards gained list. Not to mention that it was just awesome watching the big guy blast defenders off thier feet on one play and juke them out of thier shoes the next!

Anyway you look at it though we got to watch 2 great backs play for the black and gold!

GO BURGH!

LET'S GO PENS! TIE THIS MOTHER UP!

tony hipchest
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
:blah::blah::blah:

Harris was a SISSY !!

he was no earnest byner :rolleyes:

UK CANDY BEE
05-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Cute Hipcheck, but in keeping with the actual topic, and this NOT being the BF, leave it to you to dismiss the point and rag on a Browns player who doesn't even fit the category.

tony hipchest
05-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Cute Hipcheck, but in keeping with the actual topic, and this NOT being the BF, leave it to you to dismiss the point and rag on a Browns player who doesn't even fit the category.was not the actual topic for the steelerfans to discus 'Greats (such as franco) in the backfield? :hunch:

was it not you who dismissed the point to call a hall of famer, 4 time sb champ, a sissy (in a forum not tilted BF)?

is it not a bit sensitive that all i have to do is mention the words "earnest byner" and you throw a fit saying im "ragging" on a Brownpax? :chuckle:

listen, the steelers have 2 future hall of famers with 12,000+ yards of rushing. the brownies have james brown.

now, if you wanna take this to the blast furnace we can discuss how jimmy the brown is the sissy for quiting on the browns (and the city of cleveland) just like art modell did. :poop:

:popcorn:

Steeldude
05-31-2008, 12:52 AM
I think Jerome was a better back than Franco. Franco had better O lines and Rocky blocking for him. Also, opposing defenses had to respect the pass more in the Franco Era, so they couldn't put 8 guys up front to stop the run.

in the 70s the defenses had the advantage in passing situations. hence the rule change in 1978.

Texasteel
05-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Franco, because he was from a golden era when I had just become a Steelers fan.

Galax Steeler
05-31-2008, 07:14 AM
I liked Franco and Bettis I really liked the way Bettis would run the ball with alot of power.

Michael Keller
05-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Franco Far and away the best , Bettis a distant second . Hopefully Mendenhall will over take both. Could be???

UK CANDY BEE
05-31-2008, 09:26 AM
was not the actual topic for the steelerfans to discuss 'Greats (such as franco) in the backfield? :hunch:

All I am trying to say is that compared to former Steelers RB Bettis, and current Steelers RB Parker, former Steelers RB Harris was not worthy to carry their jockstraps.

Then again, I seem to recall a thread a week ago or so where I said I do not besmirth your team's HOFer and asked someone not to besmirth Browns HOFer. So....... I guess I'll officially retract my "sissy" comment in order to keep my word on the HOFers.

But Harris WOULD step out of bounds most of the time instead of taking a hit and trying to get extra yards, which surely detracts from his greatness.

Even Steeler fans have to admit that ....

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/smallBrownshelmet.gif

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
I will take Bettis as my #1...Harris as #2...and John Henry Johnson as #3....(Gotta put Franco as #2 due to his 90 fumbles)

lilyoder6
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
well i mean back in the 70's was when the def were going crazy and could basically do anything they wanted... but it's 2 dif era's and u rly can't compare them since the game has changed a lot

HometownGal
06-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Harris and Bleier were awesome together in the same backfield so that would be my first choice. Different era, though - before the NFL became so pussified. :sissies:

The Bus and FWP, though they differ in style, are above-average backs imho. Dan Kreider was also an above-average FB and could block better than any modern day FB.

As for the other two mentioned on the original list, they'd both be better suited to running circles in a rubber room than running for first downs on a football field. :screwy:

Elvis
06-01-2008, 05:46 PM
All I am trying to say is that compared to former Steelers RB Bettis, and current Steelers RB Parker, former Steelers RB Harris was not worthy to carry their jockstraps.

Then again, I seem to recall a thread a week ago or so where I said I do not besmirth your team's HOFer and asked someone not to besmirth Browns HOFer. So....... I guess I'll officially retract my "sissy" comment in order to keep my word on the HOFers.

But Harris WOULD step out of bounds most of the time instead of taking a hit and trying to get extra yards, which surely detracts from his greatness.

Even Steeler fans have to admit that ....

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/smallBrownshelmet.gif
:mad:You know what Candy Boy...? When the Browns have a RB other than Jim Brown that can actually make a case at going to the Hall Of Fame I want the Browns fans to shut up saying anything about our Hall of Famer Franco Harris!! This guy is better than any of your wanna be backs maybe other than Brown!!! How many super bowls have your clowns won in their existence?... NONE... thats right... NONE!!
:tt02:

UK CANDY BEE
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM
:mad:You know what Candy Boy...? When the Browns have a RB other than Jim Brown that can actually make a case at going to the Hall Of Fame I want the Browns fans to shut up saying anything about our Hall of Famer Franco Harris!! This guy is better than any of your wanna be backs maybe other than Brown!!! How many super bowls have your clowns won in their existence?... NONE... thats right... NONE!!
:tt02:

Uhh.......Elvis ?? Take a GOOD look at my avatar !!!

He's one of the BIG reasons the Browns kicked the Steelers asses after Jim Brown retired, up until around '72..... and he didn't end most of his runs by stepping out of bounds !!

....and there you goofballs go again with the "Super Bowls" bit........... Call it what you like, Super Bowl is just another name for NFL Championship ...... and the Browns have FOUR of those !!!

Steel Pit
06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Barry Foster is my #1. He's the best overall back that I've ever seen in a Steelers uniform. Wille Parker is my runner-up.

Harris and Bettis were stuffed or tripped up in the backfield too much for my liking. Post their career numbers, who gives a flying F*@K. I put Foster and Parker ahead of them.

The_WARDen
06-02-2008, 08:07 AM

He's one of the BIG reasons the Browns kicked the Steelers asses after Jim Brown retired, up until around '72..... and he didn't end most of his runs by stepping out of bounds !!

....and there you goofballs go again with the "Super Bowls" bit........... Call it what you like, Super Bowl is just another name for NFL Championship ...... and the Browns have FOUR of those !!!

boy do you drink the koolaid! By the way, how does brown koolaid taste?

Franco ran for alot of yards in those Super Bowls ( ya know, the championships that were held after the NFL had like 4 teams). He didn't get all those yards by 'running out of bounds'...nor do you have over 10000 yards by 'running out of bounds'.

Now, you may go back to your putrid excuse for a football team.

:coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Barry Foster played behind similar lines that Bam Morris and Erric Peagram ran well behind. He was a guy that benefited from a great line.

Bettis was a huge back that had some good O lines to run behind, but had the amazing agility for a guy that was realistically 260lbs.

Franco was one of the earlier FB's with halfback speed. Watch some of his hilights from his first 4 seasons in the league and you will see a guy that had straight line speed, quick feet to move laterally and was a powerful runner. Remember that O-linemen in the 70's were 260-280lbs and size is somewhat relative to the era played in.

Franco Harris
Jerome Bettis
in that order for me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2008, 01:58 PM

I love the "stepping out of bounds" arguements about RB's. Guys extend their careers 2-3 seasons in their later years. Emmit Smith did it, Walter Payton did, so did Harris and every RB in the NFL does it today.

I have to apologize for the "goofballs" getting a bit crazy with the Super Bowl references. Its probably just because they are not old enough to remember when the Browns last won a championship in 1964, when Lyndon Johnson was president, a gallon of gas was 30 cents and My Fair Lady won the Oscar for Best picture.

Then again, neither am I.

St33lersguy
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
1. Bus, he rolled over defenders and he pretty much carried the load. 2. Franco, Great back but he did split duties with Rocky and don't forget early in his career with Frenchy Fuqua and Preston Pearson

UK CANDY BEE
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Its probably just because they are not old enough to remember when the Browns last won a championship in 1964, when Lyndon Johnson was president, a gallon of gas was 30 cents and My Fair Lady won the Oscar for Best picture.[/B]

Then again, neither am I.

Actually, neither was I.... but they DO still count !!

The last time the Browns won the NFL Championship was the year I was born.......... 1964 !!

.....and the simple fact that your Steelers have won titles in much more recent memory (or anyone's memory...LOL) does not make any of you better, wiser, or more intelligent fans....

.....it merely makes you more fortunate !!!

To be honest, I would be happy for you, as I am for other fans of other teams that have had more success at winning titles in my lifetime than Cleveland has had (and that's a growing number), if not for one thing.

They don't have large segments of their fanbase who try to lord their good fortune over my head and in my face !!

When the Browns are on top, and that day is coming sooner than many of you think, I can guarantee you I will be more gracious than many of you have been with me.......

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/MTBBlogo.gif

millwalldavey
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
LOL. The Browns.

Anyways...
1. Franco! AND HIS 4 RINGS!
2. Bettis! AND HIS RING!
3. John Henry Johnson coming off the bench!

stlrtruck
06-03-2008, 07:45 AM

The last time the Browns won the NFL Championship was the year I was born.......... 1964 !!

.....and the simple fact that your Steelers have won titles in much more recent memory (or anyone's memory...LOL) does not make any of you better, wiser, or more intelligent fans....

To be honest, I would be happy for you, as I am for other fans of other teams that have had more success at winning titles in my lifetime than Cleveland has had (and that's a growing number), if not for one thing.

They don't have large segments of their fanbase who try to lord their good fortune over my head and in my face !!

When the Browns are on top, and that day is coming sooner than many of you think, I can guarantee you I will be more gracious than many of you have been with me.......

I've never denied the browns champioships, it would be like me denying the Steelers Super Bowls because they happened long ago. That type of argument is elementary at best.

As much as you think the browns' day is coming, until it comes there isn't much to those words. I guess it's like Armageddon, only the Lord above knows for sure.

But I'd bet if you took a poll, more people would say that Armageddon would happen before the browns win a SB!!

moedap
06-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Franco Harris

He is the reason a person born in Massachusetts is a Steelers fan.

As far as him stepping out of bounds that was near the end of his career and it was to extend his career. Had he played like Earl Holmes his career would have been cut short like Holmes. He saw the salaries rising and wanted to stick around to grab some of that money.

CanadianSteel
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll go with Merril Hoge and Ernest Jackson.....

Seriously gotta be "The Bus" and then Franco IMO..... but for one season Foster was the best......

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
[C

So what you are saying is that logging into a Steelers forum and calling out Franco Harris for "running out of bounds" and ignoring the 4 Super Bowl Rings and hall of fame bust of the afforementioned Mr. Harris is what you would call........."gracious"?????

You cant talk out of both sides of your mouth and expect it to fly. Its very much like Art Modell did.

Personally, I have several friends that are Browns fans and we have some good natured fun with each other. One guy is from Mentor and actually lead the Buckeyes in rushing back in the day. I am not trying to hold it over their heads and can respect fans with loyalty.

You are coming off as the kind of Browns fan that we all dislike. The kind that starts pointing to the scoreboard from over 40 years ago and saying "just wait till the Browns have their day". You have a good team, Sam Rutigliano and even Butch Davis got you into the playoffs with some contending teams, but you have to be aware that even the Bengals have made it to the Super Bowl.

Saying Franco was not a good RB is like me saying the same about Marion Motley.....its not true.

The_WARDen
06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

hey loser! You are on the Steelers' board...we don't have to be gracious towards Clowns or their fans. If I had no life and actually ventured onto a Clowns board, I would not expect anyone to be gracious towards me.

Now, go back to being miserable.

:coffee: