PDA

View Full Version : Browns & Steelers Rivalry

KeiselPower99
05-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I just heard Santonio Holmes on Sirius and he compared the Browns Steelers Rivalry to Michigan Ohio State. And when asked his thoughts on Cleveland being the favorite for the division he basically said the division runs through Pittsburgh. Eventually they have to beat us is what he said. Damn I cant wait to the season starts!!!!:tt02::tt:

Lord Stiller
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Cleveland SUCKS!

DACEB
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Can you actually have a one sided rivalry??

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Careful now, see, the year the Browns came back to Cleveland after Art moved them, we thumped them in the first game. But, as Rooney said after the 2nd game when Cleveland beat us by a field goal late, "That's what happens in rivalies" So I consider them a rival, still and as long as we all do consider them a rival, we will continue to thump them into a bloody mess. Which I expect to do again this season right after we kick in the teeth of the Houston Texans.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Last I checked, the PITTSBURGH STEELERS are the defending AFC North Champions.

Last I checked, the Browns haven't beaten the PITTSBURGH STEELERS in something like five years.

Santonio Holmes is right, the AFC North runs through PITTSBURGH.

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Its sad really, I mean, how many times do we have to say this...
Steelers
15 AFC Central Division Titles
3 AFC North Division Titles
Bengals
5 AFC Central Division Titles
1 AFC North Division Title
Browns
6 AFC Central Division Titles
0 AFC North Division Titles
Ravens
0 AFC Central Division Titles
2 AFC North Division Titles
Jaguars
2 AFC Central Division Titles
Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers
3 AFC Central Division Titles

Do the freaking math.
Steelers = 18 conference titles
Rest of teams ever in conference = 19.

We have 1 less than all the other teams Combined. a BIG EF YOU to anyone that tries to say the AFC NORTH doesn't belong to the PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

SteelersJW
05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm so sick of all this hype over the Cleveland Browns. No one mentions the fact that the Browns only played 3 playoff teams from last year, one of which was an NFC team (that's right, the AFC is better). I can't wait to see those bastards this time next year after finishing with a losing record.

CLEVELAND SUCKS!!!

revefsreleets
05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
A hammer and a nail are NOT rivals!

19ward86
05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Those stats are amazing.

Elvis
05-30-2008, 05:50 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns have one going right now DACEB!!
:tt02:

Elvis
05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh... Yeah I hope that you mean Division Tittles Dino..
:noidea:

Do the freaking math.
Rest of teams ever in conference = 19

warddj86
05-30-2008, 10:13 PM
plus, they led us 21-9 at halftime in pittsburgh last season but gaylon edwards and crew couldnt close it out, tgtssb (thank god they suck so bad)

oh well, maybe in 2012

BettisFan
05-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Its funny becuase we are a big rivalry but the brownies will never be better than us.

Give It To Abercrombie
05-30-2008, 10:37 PM

Yeah, it's like saying a nail has a rivalry with a hammer.

Edman
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I'll just state the truth.

Cleveland sucks monkey butt.

SteelersMongol
05-31-2008, 04:58 AM
A hammer and a nail are NOT rivals!

Well said. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
05-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Its sad really, I mean, how many times do we have to say this...
Steelers
15 AFC Central Division Titles
3 AFC North Division Titles
Bengals
5 AFC Central Division Titles
1 AFC North Division Title
Browns
6 AFC Central Division Titles
0 AFC North Division Titles
Ravens
0 AFC Central Division Titles
2 AFC North Division Titles
Jaguars
2 AFC Central Division Titles
Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers
3 AFC Central Division Titles

Do the freaking math.

We have 1 less than all the other teams Combined. a BIG EF YOU to anyone that tries to say the AFC NORTH doesn't belong to the PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Great stats.:sofunny:

Michael Keller
05-31-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm so sick of all this hype over the Cleveland Browns. No one mentions the fact that the Browns only played 3 playoff teams from last year, one of which was an NFC team (that's right, the AFC is better). I can't wait to see those bastards this time next year after finishing with a losing record.

CLEVELAND SUCKS!!!

Excellent point bein made here. Steelers will win this division as I like what I reading this off season .

DACEB
05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Do the freaking math.

Good stuff Dino!!:tt02:

KeiselPower99
05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Sun shines on a dogs ass every once and awhile. But not this year. They have talent but eveyone knows when a team from Cleveland is expected to do good fate steps in and slaps em back to reality(look at the Indians and Cavs).

lilyoder6
05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
i like ur ref of the rivalry of the nail and the hammer.. thats quality

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Thats it..Keep pretending we don't matter, Thats the way we and I like it. ;)

I played High School ball for a little school over in Ohio and Canton McKinley joined our conference. McKinley for those of you not familiar with Ohio High School sports, is like the Ohio State or Michigan of Ohio, and constantly sends players to Toledo, Akron, OSU, etc. All week we heard how we had no chance in hell and we we're going to get blown out, all this stuff. We came out on Top of that matchup.

Don't forget OSU-Meatchicken as well, from around 1988-2000, They owned us, flat out and simple, Good ol' cooper couldn't win the big one against them and ended up screwing us out of a few National Championships, Enter Jim Tressell and now we're 6-1 against them since 2001.

My point, maybe not so much with the first one, is that momentum can change quite easily in a rivalry. Look at how BAD you guys were from 1950 to 1968, and then in the 70's, look at what happened, we flipped, the 80's were a bit of a tie, although we did hold the series record, The 90's....Browns+Belicheck+Vinny-Bernie, Well, that equals hell, Add up the fact that we had to completely rebuild from scratch and not even given a real chance to compete should tell the story right there.

To not believe that this years Browns team cannot compete with the Steelers is rather foolish, and ignorant. But all means pretend that we're the same old Browns, because us winning will be all the more sweet.

KeiselPower99
05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
I was wondering how long before a Browns backer would chime in.

UK CANDY BEE
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM
the Wild Yinzers will show up here in a minute and share some sage wisdom. Probably something like "Stains Suck" or "Stillers Rule" or once again claim ownership of the Browns.

All good things come to an end, and so do some not so good things !!

....and I STILL haven't had any of these folks take me up on my avatar wager in the other forum........

Could it be a stripe down their backs matching one of their team colors ??

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/smallBrownshelmet.gif

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 09:13 PM
My point, maybe not so much with the first one, is that momentum can change quite easily in a rivalry. Look at how BAD you guys were from 1950 to 1968, and then in the 70's, look at what happened, we flipped, the 80's were a bit of a tie, although we did hold the series record, The 90's....Browns+Belicheck+Vinny-Bernie, Well, that equals hell, Add up the fact that we had to completely rebuild from scratch and not even given a real chance to compete should tell the story right there.

Browns/Steelers series 1950-69: 31-9 in favor of the Browns.

Browns/Steelers series 1970-present: 48-24 (including playoffs, 46-24 minus playoffs) in favor of the Steelers.

Post-merger, we own you. Deal. :coffee:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Browns/Steelers series 1950-69: 31-9 in favor of the Browns.

Browns/Steelers series 1970-present: 48-24 (including playoffs, 46-24 minus playoffs) in favor of the Steelers.

Post-merger, we own you. Deal. :coffee:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2006-12/26710788.jpg

Do I need to post how many times this man screwed the works up on everything we ever did post-'64?

UK CANDY BEE
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Sun shines on a dogs ass every once and awhile. But not this year..

That's DAWG'S ass ..... and yeah, it will be this year !!

Get out your brooms Browns fans !!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/MTBBlogo.gif

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
the Wild Yinzers will show up here in a minute and share some sage wisdom. Probably something like "Stains Suck" or "Stillers Rule" or once again claim ownership of the Browns.

And you keep yammering on how you're going to sweep us in '08 based on what? Us winning the last 9 in a row against you or 14 of the last 15 against you? :coffee:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 09:26 PM
And you keep yammering on how you're going to sweep us based on what? Us winning the last 9 in a row against you or 14 of the last 15 against you? :coffee:

No 'ffense. But I still believe we got better on both sides of the ball, as much as you guys wanna deny it, we did. Pittsburgh, got...Worse on the o-line and got mendenhall and Sweed, which are upgrades and luxury players, but really don't fill needs rather well.

And as much as you want to think that Rogers isn't that good, He's at least AN UPGRADE over Teddy Washington, and Williams adds a decent end, versus what we did had.

I expect us to be better than 26th in the league on D, I think we add one more Corner for depth purpose, the D will at least be competitive, not the best, not the worst, which should help our O out quite a bit.

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 09:31 PM
And as much as you want to think that Rogers isn't that good, He's at least AN UPGRADE over Teddy Washington, and Williams adds a decent end, versus what we did had.

I expect us to be better than 26th in the league on D, I think we add one more Corner for depth purpose, the D will at least be competitive, not the best, not the worst, which should help our O out quite a bit.

You gave up a starting corner out of a very thin secondary to begin with for Rogers who has a history of motivational issues and has never seen an all-you-can-eat buffet he didn't like. You didn't have a draft pick until the 4th round. You better hope your front four on D get a LOT more pressure than last year (think Giants-D-line-in-the-SB type of pressure EVERY GAME), or your secondary is going to get torched on a regular basis again. Sorry, but I fail to see how our OL got appreciably worse - Faneca mailed it in last year and has gone to the Pro Bowl on his name the last 2 seasons, and had a piss-poor attitude last season to boot - addition by subtraction. Hartwig is an automatic upgrade at center over Mahan. Marvel Smith at this point looks to be healthy again.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
You gave up a starting corner out of a very thin secondary to begin with for Rogers who has a history of motivational and weight issues. You didn't have a draft pick until the 4th round. You better hope your front four on D get a LOT more pressure than last year (think Giants d-line in the SB type of pressure EVERY GAME), or your secondary is going to get torched on a regular basis again.

Front Four? Uhh....we run a 3-4 dude.

And in any event Williams-Rogers-S. Smith/R. Smith and Wimbley (if thats what you meant?) adding some pressure sound pretty good. As for the Corner, Yeah, Bodden was good, But Eazy-E and B-Mac looked pretty damn good as well, (Watch the Texans game for B-Mac, the guy covered Johnson VERY Well.) add another player in for depth and who knows we may find a gem UDFA for that position, Phil is famous for that.

As for the Draft picks, I though phil did pretty well with those. Beau Bell is a different kind of a LB, not one you'd think of, but damn does he look good. Martin Rucker looks like KWII's clone, giving us another dimension on O, and rumor has it, the kid we drafted in round 7 from a lower tier NCAA program in St. Augustine is looking like a damn good LB.

I'm not saying sweep, I'm thinking we split the series this year though.

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Front Four? Uhh....we run a 3-4 dude.

And in any event Williams-Rogers-S. Smith/R. Smith and Wimbley (if thats what you meant?) adding some pressure sound pretty good. As for the Corner, Yeah, Bodden was good, But Eazy-E and B-Mac looked pretty damn good as well, (Watch the Texans game for B-Mac, the guy covered Johnson VERY Well.) add another player in for depth and who knows we may find a gem UDFA for that position, Phil is famous for that.

As for the Draft picks, I though phil did pretty well with those. Beau Bell is a different kind of a LB, not one you'd think of, but damn does he look good. Martin Rucker looks like KWII's clone, giving us another dimension on O, and rumor has it, the kid we drafted in round 7 from a lower tier NCAA program in St. Augustine is looking like a damn good LB.

I'm not saying sweep, I'm thinking we split the series this year though.

My bad - I forgot that you switched to the 3-4. :dang: I am thinking we'll probably split this year as well, but we'll see.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
My bad - I forgot that you switched to the 3-4. :dang: I am thinking we'll probably split this year as well, but we'll see.

No doubt you guys hold the division for the past couple of years or so, but honestly, who've you had to challenge. The Bungals!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The Rats? Well..maybe every couple of years. And Us, ever since we came back in '99, havn't really been all the competitive, with the exception of '03 and this past year.

and despite the fact that everyone is comparing us to the Bungals, I really don't see it. Some of our players have had run-ins with the law, but we've cut our ties with them a lot of times. As much as "grimace" may be a mediocre coach, him and phil are adding a nice stability for our team which we've needed ever since we came back.

I think the next chapter of the rivalry is going to be pretty entertaining. :popcorn:

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
and despite the fact that everyone is comparing us to the Bungals, I really don't see it.

Huh? Not me - I said that the Browns were coming back months ago. The Bengals are falling apart. It's very safe to say that the Bengals and Browns are going in opposite directions and there's no question which one is headed in the right way (hint: it ain't Cincy).

lilyoder6
05-31-2008, 10:12 PM
i think rucker will add another threat as a receiving te.. but he has to prove that he can line up next to a tackle and play te and block 4 that matter... browns did a good job i guess but gave up way too much this offseason.. rogers and williams are good but will they fit into cle scheme??? and u missed out on some good quality players in this draft that could of helped out more than 2 fat linemans... but we'll have to wait and see if these "big" off-season moves were worth it..

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Huh? Not me - I said that the Browns were coming back months ago. The Bengals are falling apart. It's very safe to say that the Bengals and Browns are going in opposite directions and there's no question which one is headed in the right way (hint: it ain't Cincy).

It'll be nice having the division the way it should be. Steel town Vs. The Birthplace of Rock N' Roll. I do think that this is the best rivalry in Pro Football.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 10:18 PM
i think rucker will add another threat as a receiving te.. but he has to prove that he can line up next to a tackle and play te and block 4 that matter... browns did a good job i guess but gave up way too much this offseason.. rogers and williams are good but will they fit into cle scheme??? and u missed out on some good quality players in this draft that could of helped out more than 2 fat linemans... but we'll have to wait and see if these "big" off-season moves were worth it..

Our Draft was pretty much:

1.) Brady "super cuts model" Quinn
2.) Williams
3.) Rogers
...and the rest were auctual draft picks, as much as that seems like a waste, drafting players those high can often be a pretty big gamble, and trading for two proven players, while still a gamble lowers the odds that a player like that could be a bust. As for Quinn, if he was in this years draft, I believe he could've went Number 1 overall.

UK CANDY BEE
05-31-2008, 10:20 PM
I am glad I was wrong about the Wild Yinzers showing up.....

....the GOOD Steeler fans here at SF deserve credit for that !!

I may crow about a sweep, and I DO believe the Browns can do it, but you'll never see me say it is gonna be easy !!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I dig having good discussions about football with y'all. Its good to talk football with folks who know what they're talking about, rather than just diss the brownies every chance they get, and not auctually saying why they believe we won't win a game.

Dawgbone
05-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah well seems like I am going to have to get in here. The reason we gave up Bodden for a Pro Bowl defensive line is because we can put the pressure on the opponents QB, so they can not torch our backfield as you are stating.

Your offensive line has gotten completely horrible and will continue if you have Bruce Arians has your offensive coordinator. Good luck with him!

Alan Faneca would still be in Pissburgh if you guys would have just gave him a new contract.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah well seems like I am going to have to get in here. The reason we gave up Bodden for a Pro Bowl defensive line is because we can put the pressure on the opponents QB, so they can not torch our backfield as you are stating.

Your offensive line has gotten completely horrible and will continue if you have Bruce Arians has your offensive coordinator. Good luck with him!

Alan Faneca would still be in Pissburgh if you guys would have just gave him a new contract.

Hey Dawgbone didn't know you had a profile here, whatsup man? It's Triple-S.

paw-n-maul-u
05-31-2008, 11:17 PM

Bodden was definitely your best corner. He had a down year, but before last year "experts" were writing about how he was about to become a breakout/impact player. He definitely has the tools to become one. But, like Ike Taylor, he could definitely have a bounce back year.

It's really easy to find a fatass lazy 4-3 Defensive tackle and rotate him as the nosetackle in a 3-4 ... ask dallas, they have tank johnson. Only, they weren't retarded enough to give up their best/most consistent corner on their team.

And in other news, the last time cleveland made the playoffs, BRUCE ARIANS was the coordinator. ...

haha, ... AND IN OTHERRRRRRRRRR NEWS .... IF YOU GIVE A PLAYER A CONTRACT, HE PLAYS FOR THE TEAM THAT GIVE HIM THE CONTRACT.

.... if the steelers would have resigned ________, he would still play for the steelers.

haha, man, if the browns wouldn't have traded leigh bodden, .... he would STILL play for the browns

hmmm

fansince'76
06-01-2008, 07:08 AM
The reason we gave up Bodden for a Pro Bowl defensive line is because we can put the pressure on the opponents QB, so they can not torch our backfield as you are stating.

You gave up Bodden AND a 3rd-round pick for this:

Rogers, who was coming off knee and shoulder surgeries last offseason, was listed at 340 pounds but weighed at least 360....Rogers, who has been to two Pro Bowls, had a good start to the season and was named NFC defensive player of the week after returning a 66-yard interception for a touchdown and recording 2 sacks in the Lions' 44-7 victory over the Denver Broncos in Week 9. But in the six-game losing streak that followed, he disappeared.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3210519

Rogers' weight was an issue in Detroit, but Crennel said it looks like he has it under control. There have been reports that Rogers' weight is in the 400-pound range. He played at about 370 or 380 in Detroit last year.

"He's about 50 pounds less than that," Crennel said Tuesday at the NFL meetings.

Rogers reported March 17 for the start of Cleveland's offseason workout program. He left to visit his mother but is expected back this week, Crennel said.

"He looks decent," Crennel said. "He reported at a decent weight. He wasn't sloppy or anything like that. I think once he gets involved in the program, we'll find out exactly where he is, conditioning-wise."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080401/SPORTS0101/804010441/1126/rss14

Yep, definitely a ringing endorsement by Crennel there - I wish the Steelers would give up starting CBs, 3rd-round draft picks and long-term big money contracts for guys who looked "decent." But he'll still be a dominant force for you. Whatever.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Alright, its been said he's not very good and all this other stuff.

But to me, he's a defintly an upgrade at the nose guard position, We had Teddy Washington as starting Nose Tackle,and I think he's currently picking up social security right now :). Having someone who can at least create even a little bit of pressure will help Wimbley out loads.

Also in regards to the six game losing streak, Remember, it's the fricken LIONS! Matt Millen makes the Browns of '99-'06 look good. You play on a crappy team or your side of the 'fense is doing horrible, thats what happens. Hell, Wimbley did horrible last year, and our D SUCKED. And I'm defintly not doubting Wimbleys ability, and with a little help now from a much improved d-line it should be fun watching him to get the QB.

And again, if anyone did see the Browns last year, Bodden was either hurt or B-Mac and Eazy-E outshone him with ease.

BigBen403
06-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Wow browns are nothing but shit talkers, every year they spout off at the mouth and every year we stick a foot in there ass !!! To be the man you have to BEAT the man..... Go Steelers

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow browns are nothing but shit talkers, every year they spout off at the mouth and every year we stick a foot in there ass !!! To be the man you have to BEAT the man..... Go Steelers

What Trash have I talked?

I've said nothing but what I thought was good and bad on both sides. I really don't think the steelers o-line doesn't looks all that pretty, and the browns d-line has improved. Yeah, we lost depth at corner, but I, like you guys thinking can improve the o-line, think we'll find someone in the upcoming months.

I think the series will be split this year, any Browns fan worth his salt knows that beating Pittsburgh is going to be very difficult, but it can be done, and I do think this is the year we do it. If not, remember the Cleveland sports motto "Theres always next year!" :sofunny:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Could scenery change be just the ticket for DL Rogers?

May 30, 2008

There is no doubting DL Shaun Rogers' talent. Most evaluators would agree he's among the most gifted linemen in the game. But he hasn't always played to that ability, which goes a long way in explaining why the Browns were able to acquire him for CB Leigh Bodden and a third-round pick in March. However, the early returns on Rogers' performance from Cleveland are promising. The way we hear it, Rogers, 29, does not appear out of shape; he's listed at 340 pounds. An in-shape Rogers could do wonders for Cleveland's defensive line play, which has been a sore spot in recent years. Look for Rogers to get most of his practice work at nose tackle as he adjusts to the rigors of that key role in Cleveland's 3-4 defense. He will also work at defensive end.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Cleveland/WWHI/2008/wwhi053008.htm

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I gotta give some credit to the Browns.

They got themselves a helluva GM in Phil Savage. He has done wonders with the rebuilding job. He had to get rid of about all the guys from the Butch Davis era. He basicly started this team from scratch.

If the Browns had a GM and HC that worked as well together as Savage and Crennell...if they had a tandem that realized that you need to be strong in the trenches to be a solid and competitive football team...then it wouldn't have taken this long for the Browns to get back to competing for the division.

I am glad the Browns seem to be back. I live in Cleveland and the fans deserve a competitive football team after everything they went through with that SOB Art Modell. It will make this a real rivalry again.

I like the pickup of Williams from Green Bay. He should be a nice upgrade to the line.

However, I do not like the pickup of Shaun Rogers. He's never seen a buffet that he didn't like and he's had major motivational problems. A lot of Browns fans have been saying that all he needed was a change of scenery...to go to a contender. But if that doens't change him, you guys have a big (no pun intended) problem on your hands...especially the team slips and takes a tumble.

Oh, and to the Steeler fans that don't think this is much of a rivalry....it is in Cleveland. It was to Joey Porter when he knocked Willie Greene's teeth down his throat. It was to Porter when he called Kellen Winslow another name for a homosexual.

Oh, and nothing beats when Silverback bodyslamed that Clowns fan into the turf!

The Duke
06-01-2008, 11:16 AM
But to me, he's a defintly an upgrade at the nose guard position, We had Teddy Washington as starting Nose Tackle,

can't argue with that. just like the steelers center situation, Hartwig is already an upgrade over mahan

funny thing is, hartwig and rogers will be facing each other during games. both our most important offseason acquisitions.

btw, what position is rogers going to play. I've heard some mention he'll be a DE, others say he'll be the NT. directly from a browns fan, what is he going to be?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 11:43 AM
IOh, and nothing beats when Silverback bodyslamed that Clowns fan into the turf!

...and if its all the same..I really liked Turkey Joe Jones hit. Apparently that REALLY screwed up Bradshaw from what I've heard..Myron Cope talked about in his one book I read just to see what he thought of the Brownies.

http://blogs.clevescene.com/cnotes/winslow-porter.jpg

was sorta half-rooting for you guys to keep porter so the rivalry with him and KWII could thicken even further!

Its a rivalry, we're both football obsessed parts of the country. We've had coaches come in from Pittsburgh, You guys have had coaches from Cleveland. The amount of talent the Rust Belt from Toledo to outside of Pittsburgh has devolped is pretty staggering.

Phil Savage is the man! HUGE reason why the rats were so successful and why we're returning to form.

lilyoder6
06-01-2008, 12:08 PM
yeah u traded 4 2 proven guys who played in a 4-3.. coming into a 3-4 will take sometime i bet... and are u gonna have rogers and williams on the field at the time??? both slow and if 1 plays end won't be able to get into the backfield as quickly.. and u don't know yet if they will even do good in cle yet.. all i'm saying is that the brownies put all there eggs in 2 fat baskets and if that doesn't work out u'll be hurt by not having many draft picks in where there was a good amount of players who can play or make an impact right away..

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah u traded 4 2 proven guys who played in a 4-3.. coming into a 3-4 will take sometime i bet... and are u gonna have rogers and williams on the field at the time??? both slow and if 1 plays end won't be able to get into the backfield as quickly.. and u don't know yet if they will even do good in cle yet.. all i'm saying is that the brownies put all there eggs in 2 fat baskets and if that doesn't work out u'll be hurt by not having many draft picks in where there was a good amount of players who can play or make an impact right away..

But at the same time, the williams/roger thing could work out, theres two possible scenarios in regards to that.

Both sides havn't played a single game, all we're pretty much doing is speculating what we THINK could happen. Until we play a game, its anyones guess about how this will all work out for both teams.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2008, 12:27 PM
But at the same time, the williams/roger thing could work out, theres two possible scenarios in regards to that.

Both sides havn't played a single game, all we're pretty much doing is speculating what we THINK could happen. Until we play a game, its anyones guess about how this will all work out for both teams.

That's for sure, but I still think Rogers has a better chance of being a bust than a boom player.

We'll all know for sure if he shows up to camp overweight again.

LVSteelersfan
06-01-2008, 05:06 PM
No doubt you guys hold the division for the past couple of years or so, but honestly, who've you had to challenge. The Bungals!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The Rats? Well..maybe every couple of years. And Us, ever since we came back in '99, havn't really been all the competitive, with the exception of '03 and this past year.

and despite the fact that everyone is comparing us to the Bungals, I really don't see it. Some of our players have had run-ins with the law, but we've cut our ties with them a lot of times. As much as "grimace" may be a mediocre coach, him and phil are adding a nice stability for our team which we've needed ever since we came back.

I think the next chapter of the rivalry is going to be pretty entertaining. :popcorn:

You seem to forget that DA had one of the easiest schedules in the league last year to throw against. And he was mediocre at best in the last part of the season. Since you are not factoring in the fact that the OFFENSE is going to be WORSE this year based on the competition you have to play, you are not being realistic. Defense keeps you in games and the Browns D is suspect at best. The Steelers will still have one of the best in the league while the Browns will be somewhere in the middle or back of the pack. Sorry, but you can be optimistic all you want but 2-6 in the first half of the season is VERY LIKELY for the Browns while the Steelers will be competetive because of their DEFENSE. Good luck to you, but be ready to be disappointed GREATLY.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 05:40 PM
You seem to forget that DA had one of the easiest schedules in the league last year to throw against. And he was mediocre at best in the last part of the season. Since you are not factoring in the fact that the OFFENSE is going to be WORSE this year based on the competition you have to play, you are not being realistic. Defense keeps you in games and the Browns D is suspect at best. The Steelers will still have one of the best in the league while the Browns will be somewhere in the middle or back of the pack. Sorry, but you can be optimistic all you want but 2-6 in the first half of the season is VERY LIKELY for the Browns while the Steelers will be competetive because of their DEFENSE. Good luck to you, but be ready to be disappointed GREATLY.

Uhh..if, DA screws up, We did draft a certain other QB last year. You guys seem to keep forget Mr. Supercuts is just waiting for his chance.

..And didn't the Steelers have the same sched. as the browns and finished with the same exact record if I'm not mistaken?

Again, folks as much as you wanna ignore us, We could be very much back this year. As far as having a weak defense, plenty of teams have had suspect D's and made it to the playoffs, the '99 rams as I can recall were constantly criticized for their weak D as I can recall.

paw-n-maul-u
06-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Uhh..if, DA screws up, We did draft a certain other QB last year. You guys seem to keep forget Mr. Supercuts is just waiting for his chance.

..And didn't the Steelers have the same sched. as the browns and finished with the same exact record if I'm not mistaken?

Again, folks as much as you wanna ignore us, We could be very much back this year. As far as having a weak defense, plenty of teams have had suspect D's and made it to the playoffs, the '99 rams as I can recall were constantly criticized for their weak D as I can recall.

first off, Mr. supercuts quinn has his hands full already . They're cupped around that frat boys balls in that infamous picture. All hail king scrotum grab, the heir apparent to the browns throne.

... and didn't the steelers play a second place schedule and the browns play a fourth?

again, I don't think anyone is ignoring the browns, but you guys are definitely not worthy of comparison to the Greatest Show on Turf. Defense wins championships.

Even the colts D played like a beast the last half of the year when they won.

And the giants led the league in sacks this year.

And do I even need to remind you what defense held the NFC champs to 10 pts in SBXL?

Before that, the patriots won 3 of 4, great job brady ... but everyone konws about "bill belly", the defensive scheming genius known to have "all the answers".

Oh, and the team that won inbetween then, the tampa bay bucks. DEFENSE. they made rich gannon look like a fool.

lets play over under on how many TD's Ben throws vs. the browns awesome secondary this year. .... i say over/under on 6 ... and ill go with the over.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
lets play over under on how many TD's Ben throws vs. the browns awesome secondary this year. .... i say over/under on 6 ... and ill go with the over.

That all depends...how many touchdowns (with help from his awesome line) will he able to score when he's on his back?

:flap:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
That all depends...how many touchdowns (with help from his awesome line) will he able to score when he's on his back?

I dunno.

How many touchdowns can Kyle Boller throw from his knees?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I dunno.

How many touchdowns can Kyle Boller throw from his knees?

I know how many Tony Graziani can throw from his knees!

*points to whomever can find that clip*

lilyoder6
06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
well rogers does need to lose weight but w/ mcdonalds on evry corner nowadays it will be hard 4 him.. also u improved ur d-line while destroying ur secondary.. yes u have young talented players who were 2,3 4 corners last yr and not going up against the number 1 guy.. like u said we have to wait and see but when we hit tc and rogers hasn't lost any pounds thats not a good sign

MDSteel15
06-01-2008, 10:32 PM

I think this is not what people mean when compairing you to the Bengals. I believe they mean that you are all offense and NO defense! Which is true thru last season and is still to be seen this year.... :drink:

KeiselPower99
06-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Ya know something...Let the Browns win the divison. All it means is a hat and tshirt. The last time I checked no one who has won the North has ever made an impact in the playoffs. Plus it is a proven fact no team from Cleveland cant win in the postseason. Yall will fall the way of the 2005 Bengals. All flash no reward. Yall can have the shirts and hats they will be on sale after your 1 and done. Plus if they get lucky enough to pull out a division win and we get the wild card we will be more battle tested in playoff mode due to our schedule.

Steel Pit
06-02-2008, 12:39 AM

I'm not ignoring the Browns, heck when you look at the division it's now top heavy. The Steelers and the Browns will finish very close to one another at the top of the division.

So No Sir, I don't ignore the Browns. The division race will be close, it may take a tiebreaker scenario to name the division champ. These two teams may meet in the playoffs, it's quite possible. It seems as if whenever two teams from the AFC North make the playoffs they typically end up meeting each other for the 3rd time of the season, Steelers/Ravens 2001, Steelers/Browns 2003, Steelers/Bengals 2005.

With that being said, I want to add that I don't fear the Browns. History indicates that the Steelers seemingly always find a way to overcome the Browns whether it's a division race or playoff meeting. I don't believe that the Browns can say that "they do not fear the Steelers" and until they do find a way to overcome their fear of the Steelers, then they will continue to come up short against them.

All in all, I'm glad that the Browns are on the up. I love the rivalry. Heck it wouldn't be any fun if we all liked the same team.

Rhee Rhee
06-02-2008, 01:17 AM
the browns won't be push-overs thats for sure...

they will make the playoffs as either AFC north champs or a wildcard but either way their offense will carry them to the playoffs one way or another...

unless kamerion wimbley pulls a shawne merriman-esque season and gets 15+ sacks i don't see ur defense standing a chance against offenses like the patriots, indy, and even sandiego

Dino 6 Rings
06-02-2008, 08:37 AM
This post has been so hard to get through shaking my head at times.

I see a lot of "should" "if" and "could" comments about the Browns. If the stars align and the moon is full during the 3rd phase of saturn in mercury and should the Cleveland defense be better than 23rd in the league then the Browns could be competitive against the Steelers.

Seriously, I understand that the Browns fans have passion, that's cool, really it is. Just don't kid yourselves. The Browns open not agains the Steelers, they open against the Cowboys. SHOULD they lose that game, and start 0-1 and then have to play the Steelers, a game they COULD very well lose, then the Browns start 0-2. After a 10 win season, how much smiling will be done in Cleveland with an 0-2 start?

Browns fans, this is not your year. Sorry but it isn't. You won't sneak up on anyone this year, your don't have the skill position players that are required to be a legit contender in the AFC this season, you need a new top notch receiver, a stud Running back, not an old timer, and an improved linebacker corp and secondary before you can honestly believe in your team's chances of making a playoff run. I don't talk about winning a game, I speak about winning it all. I feel my team is loaded enough to get to the promised land. I don't believe Cleveland is there yet.

Bottom line, I love that you love your team. Just don't count those chickens yet.

memphissteelergirl
06-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I will be the first to admit the Browns made some impressive acquisitions so far this offseason, but whether or not that translates to more W's than L's remains to be seen. That said, though, I in no way count the Browns games (or any games for that matter) as "gimmies". Heck we dropped a more than a few games last year where we were supposed to be the better team.

I look forward to an entertaining revival of the Steelers-Browns rivalry this season...don't think your guys will take the division, mind you, but it should still be fun. :popcorn: :drink:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-02-2008, 11:00 AM
This post has been so hard to get through shaking my head at times.

I see a lot of "should" "if" and "could" comments about the Browns. If the stars align and the moon is full during the 3rd phase of saturn in mercury and should the Cleveland defense be better than 23rd in the league then the Browns could be competitive against the Steelers.

Seriously, I understand that the Browns fans have passion, that's cool, really it is. Just don't kid yourselves. The Browns open not agains the Steelers, they open against the Cowboys. SHOULD they lose that game, and start 0-1 and then have to play the Steelers, a game they COULD very well lose, then the Browns start 0-2. After a 10 win season, how much smiling will be done in Cleveland with an 0-2 start?

Browns fans, this is not your year. Sorry but it isn't. You won't sneak up on anyone this year, your don't have the skill position players that are required to be a legit contender in the AFC this season, you need a new top notch receiver, a stud Running back, not an old timer, and an improved linebacker corp and secondary before you can honestly believe in your team's chances of making a playoff run. I don't talk about winning a game, I speak about winning it all. I feel my team is loaded enough to get to the promised land. I don't believe Cleveland is there yet.

Bottom line, I love that you love your team. Just don't count those chickens yet.

I think that if its 0-2, you could see a lot of things happen with the Browns.If the DA of the Bungals game shows up and constantly shoots us in the foot, by throwing an INT and not making a play even though the line is giving him plenty of time, you won't see him get much playing time again and the kid could be showing up, by week 2 or 3. Charlie Frye had the same crap happen to him and he got thrown out faster than you can 34-7. Being perfectly honest about DA, I get this Tommy Maddox vibe from him, which isn't a good thing. BQ on the other hand, all gay jokes aside, looks pretty sharp as our QB of the future.

The RB situation is a bit scary, but from the looks of things, although are 2nd and 3rd teamers at that position aren't perfect, they can handle the load in any event. Also the two UDFA we have there in Austin Scott and Travis Thomas have been looking very good. Not so much like Barry Sanders, but at least decent to help possibly carry the load. In Next years Draft, we're all pulling to get Spiller or Davis from clemson, or Beanie Wells from OSU, depending on how that lands.

And who the heck knows who's year it is anymore? With the amount of parity in the NFL. theres a possibility albeit a bit small one that both of could be at the bottom and the Bungals or Rats will win it, I seriously doubt it, but its a possibility.

This may or may not be our year, but at least this Browns team is what I've wanted out of all the years I've watched football, competitive. Mind you, if you've seen any Browns games from '99-'06, We were constantly disorganized, and were constantly in rebuilding, at least with this years team we have some parts that will stay with us and help us become a legit team in this league again.

Dino 6 Rings
06-02-2008, 11:31 AM
RWWPC...I admire your fandom, and am glad to see you have realistic expectations for your team. There are quite a few questions with the Browns this year, starting under center and then extending to the rest of the team. There is talent there, for sure you can have hope going into this season, more so than most seasons recently. Its just when it comes to questions, I am confident my team will remain a contender, as long as no one faceplants a windshield in the off season, and am pretty sure the core of my team will be around for a while. Parker, Holmes, Ward, Ben, Miller, Mendenhall, Moore, Sweed, all should be on the roster for some time. Defense, we've got our Hampton, Troy P, Woodley, Harrison, Aaron Smith, Farrier, Foote, Taylor, and others that will continue to keep us tops in the league on that side of the ball. I feel very confident, that we shall be entering the playoffs next season after being very competitive against every single team we face next year. Starting week 1 with the Houston Texans. Talent wise, we are very loaded. Coaching, we'll see if Tomlin can get better at knowing when to throw the red flag, but I do like his style. Arians, we'll see if he gets back to running the ball a little more now that we have more weapons in the running game.

Special Teams...sigh...it is what it is...

paw-n-maul-u
06-02-2008, 03:53 PM

more than derrick anderson!!! bahahaha. I would take a Ben Roethlisberger scrambling for his life over a Derrick anderson getting ALL DAY ("with help from his awesome line") to throw the ball, and STILL throwing picks ... (i.e. second half of 07' season)

Jamal Lewis is not going to be as effective as last year. That is for sure.

Listen man, don't you get it. You suck off Phil savage like he's the godsend GM. Although, he gave over 100+ million dollars in contracts to three players ... two probowls between them. ... not to mention there are serious question about ALL of the moves.

Rogers ... lazy? overweight? can he play nose tackle in a 3-4?

Williams .... can he play 3-4 DE ... he went from 1 on 1's ALL DAY playing on the other side across from Aaron Kampmann (sp?) ... and now he's going to be a double teamed blocking space occupier so your "good"? linebackers can get to the QB?
... please.

haha and my MOST favorite ... Donte the disappearing Stallworth ... he had one good year in NO. Then has been and injury prone, disappearing act the rest of his career.

Is it any wonder he only spends one year in one city everywhere he goes? ... Good thing cleveland didn't give him a 30 million dollar contract ...

... oh wait

Point is, all that money was paid for them to play up to those expectations. two of the players in a different scheme, and another as a #2 wideout ... phil savage is a joke ... Colbert may not be the brightest apple in the barrel. but atleast hes not a gah damn fool.

... oh ya, and brady quinn likes to hold other little boy's scrotums.

lilyoder6
06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
lewis will need someone to take some of the load off of him.. do they have the person to do it?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Listen man, don't you get it. You suck off Phil savage like he's the godsend GM. Although, he gave over 100+ million dollars in contracts to three players ... two probowls between them. ... not to mention there are serious question about ALL of the moves.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8696/koolaidup9.jpg

*plays soviet national anthem*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=91kdwxFsthI

Our Glorious Leader of The Revolution will lead us to the promised land. For He is not just a man, He is Phil Savage.

:sofunny:

..and the steelers recently signed 100+ to Big Ben, when he still had a few years left on his contract, at least the Browns used the money towards something that is a need, not just extry security to make sure your QB is happy.

Wanna know why Lewis was effective last year? The offensive line was so good, it was able to open so many holes for the guy. He'd get the ball and just be amazed at what would open up for him, he's said as much in interviews. So, if the o-line continues to gel, he'll look about the same and if they don't, then he wont.

Donte wasn't meant to be a star player, he was meant to give JJ a few breaks as he's said that this going to be amongst his last seasons in the league. Rumor has it though, that Donte has been looking great in camp, and isn't quite easy to have a disapearing act when you have Wes Welker and Randy Moss as your competition? :flap:

St33lersguy
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
When was the last time the Steelers beat the Browns? It's been a while. Haven't the Steelers beaten the Browns in their last 2 playoffs appearance (including the game the game they blew a 24-7 lead)? Yep I think so. Wasn't the Browns last division title in 1989 when Kosar was the starting QB and Chuck Noll was still the head coach. How many titles have the steelers won since then? '92 '94-'97 '01 '02 '04 '07. That's 9 Division titles, 9.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
When was the last time the Steelers beat the Browns? It's been a while. Haven't the Steelers beaten the Browns in their last 2 playoffs appearance (including the game the game they blew a 24-7 lead)? Yep I think so. Wasn't the Browns last division title in 1989 when Kosar was the starting QB and Chuck Noll was still the head coach. How many titles have the steelers won since then? '92 '94-'97 '01 '02 '04 '07. That's 9 Division titles, 9.

it's called having your stupid owner hire Bill Belicheat, and letting him get rid of Kosar because of "diminishing skills". Pretty Damn Easy to beat up on Vinny "Mr. Interception" Testaverde on a constant basis as well. Add the fact that the Browns pretty much wern't in existance from '95-'98, and the fact that we made so many mis-steps in the draft, and so many times rebuilding since then. It's pretty damn easy to win the division when you have a team making those type of decisions period. I'm not saying that you guys didn't win those fair and square, I'm just saying, it was made much easier when Moddell pretty much neutered the Browns for 10-12 years.

I reccommend reading "False Start" by Terry Pluto on why we've sucked from '99-'06 and how we got hosed a bit by the league.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Lets look at the Browns starters. Now remembr, I live in Cleveland so I get tons of Browns coverage, and I also hear the opinions of a lot of Browns fans.

Offense

Derek Anderson, QB:He played well last year, especially in games where throwing the ball was tough due to weather. But how much is really left in the tank? We've seen backs production suddenly drop in the matter of a season, could Lewis be next? I don't know if he can shoulder as much of the workload this year as he did next year, so there is the definate chance for an injury. If he stays healthy, you guys more-than-likley have a good back.

Jamal Lewis, RB:He played well last year, especially in games where throwing the ball was tough due to weather. But how much is really left in the tank? We've seen backs production suddenly drop in the matter of a season, could Lewis be next? I don't know if he can shoulder as much of the workload this year as he did next year, so there is the definate chance for an injury. If he stays healthy, you guys more-than-likley have a good back.

Braylon Edwards, WR: He's a top-notch wideout. Possibly the best offensive player on the entire team.

Donte Stallworth, WR: He's shown that he has skills, but he also dissapears a lot either due to injury or low-production. If he can stay healthy for you guys, he's an asset...but history has shown he can't stay healthy.

Kellen Winslow, TE: He's basicly another receiver. Good hands, catches the ball away from his body, good speed. He's in the crop of very good receiving TE's. However, his knees are probally his biggest weakness. He's also upset about his contract, and nobody knows how that will affect his play.

Offensive Line: Since this is a five-man unit, I am going to address it as a single unit. This line has gone from one of the worst to one of the best in the matter of one offseason. Very solid group that can only get better if Bentley can come back and spell guys at the center and gaurd positions.

Devense

Corey Williams, DE:: He's moving to Cleveland from Green Bay where he played DT. He's also moving from a 4-3 scheme to a 3-4 scheme, so there is no gaurantee that he'll be as productive. But I think he'll do well and make some type of positive impact on the defense.

Robaire Smith, DE: He played on this bad d-line last year, so it could have been the talent around him...but he very well could have been part of the problem. With what at least could be better talent around him, he could be a very good lineman.

Shaun Rogers, DT: He was traded to Cleveland from Detroit not because they got a deal they couldn't resist, but because they wanted him out. He's constantly had weight issues and his commitment has been questioned. He's the biggest bust possibility from the offseason additions. Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery...or maybe he's just fat and lazy.

Kamerion Wimbley, OLB: He had a sophmore slump after a productive rookie season, but some of that can be attributed to poor defensive line play. If this year's defensive line is as good as most Browns fans think it will be, then he'll be back to double-digit sacks. If it's not, it'll be another low-productive year for the OLB.

Andra Davis, ILB: He's a playmaker when he's healthy. He's going to be splitting time with some other guys this year, which should keep him healthy.

D'Qwell Jackson, ILB: This guy can be an excellent ILB in the 3-4. I think this year is gonna be his coming out party so-to-speak if his defesive line plays well. He can cover and he's a solid tackler.

Willie McGinnest, OLB: He's not nearly as good on the field now as he was with New England. His best asset is his veteran leadership, but I don't expect much out of him on the field.

Eric Wright, CB: Last year he started as a rookie and did well, but now with Bodden gone he really has to step it up because he's got to be the man. I don't know if he can do it, but for the sake of the Browns he needs to have a Cromartie type impact.

Brandon McDonald, CB: Last year he defiatly had some moments, but nobody knows if he's truly ready to step into a starter's spot.

Sean Jones, SS: He's a hard hitter that can also get some picks. But he moreso reminds me of Roy Williams...hits like a truck but finds himself out of position on pass plays a bit too often.

Brodney Pool, FS: I'd say he's an average saftey. He can hit and he can cover decently...but he doesn't really excell at either IMHO.

I think this team's biggest weakness is the secondary. Nobody really stands out to me as a guy who scares the opposing offense. If that offensive line isn't improved, this secondary is going to be easy to torch.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-02-2008, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=RodWoodsonwasprettycool;402767]it's called having your stupid owner hire Bill Belicheat, and letting him get rid of Kosar because of "diminishing skills". Pretty Damn Easy to beat up on Vinny "Mr. Interception" Testaverde on a constant basis as well. Add the fact that the Browns pretty much wern't in existance from '95-'98, and the fact that we made so many mis-steps in the draft, and so many times rebuilding since then. It's pretty damn easy to win the division when you have a team making those type of decisions period. I'm not saying that you guys didn't win those fair and square, I'm just saying, it was made much easier when Moddell pretty much neutered the Browns for 10-12 years.

All that sounds like whining and excuses to me.

Facts are that the Browns haven't beated the Pittsburgh Steelers in five years. They have lost the last nine meetings, and 14 of the last 15.

Until the Browns start beating the Steelers again, they won't get much respect from Steelers fans. That's the way it goes. Right now, you haven't given any of us Steelers fans a real reason to think the Browns can beat us.

Yes, most of us realize the Browns are more than likley getting better. Yes, they should challenge for the division. However, challenging for the division and beating the Steelers are two different things.

UK CANDY BEE
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=RodWoodsonwasprettycool;402767]
Yes, most of us realize the Browns are more than likley getting better. Yes, they should challenge for the division. However, challenging for the division and beating the Steelers are two different things.

Good of you to acknowledge that the Browns are "getting better" and "should challenge for the division".

....and you are quite right about improving and getting to the division title being "two different things".

However......

"beating the Steelers" is simply the next thing on Cleveland's to do list !!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z192/BuckeyeDan/BigRevolvingBrownsHelmet.gif

millwalldavey
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Ever notice how those "to-do" lists always seem to have a few things that never get done?

Galax Steeler
06-03-2008, 04:23 AM
I guess we will see in a few months who is going to the top of the north it should be a good battle.

KeiselPower99
06-03-2008, 07:34 AM
it's called having your stupid owner hire Bill Belicheat, and letting him get rid of Kosar because of "diminishing skills". Pretty Damn Easy to beat up on Vinny "Mr. Interception" Testaverde on a constant basis as well. Add the fact that the Browns pretty much wern't in existance from '95-'98, and the fact that we made so many mis-steps in the draft, and so many times rebuilding since then. It's pretty damn easy to win the division when you have a team making those type of decisions period. I'm not saying that you guys didn't win those fair and square, I'm just saying, it was made much easier when Moddell pretty much neutered the Browns for 10-12 years.

I reccommend reading "False Start" by Terry Pluto on why we've sucked from '99-'06 and how we got hosed a bit by the league.

Lets not just go with Testaverde buddy remember Eric Zeier?????

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Lets not just go with Testaverde buddy remember Eric Zeier?????

..and Mike Tomczak.

Edman
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I'll be happy to give props to the Browns. Thye made a lot of good FA moves. Desperate, but good.

But the moment the sh*t talking and bravado from the Brown fans pops up(Like from your boy Dawgbone), I toss my respect and props out the window. I'll be impressed with the Browns when they make the playoffs, which is ironically, when that very same Bruce Arians was your offensive coordinator.

Brown Bravado(especially how one-sided this rivalry has been) won't get you any respect from Steeler fans, it only makes them laugh at you more.

lilyoder6
06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
the browns should just have joe j at number 2 and dante at number 3... the browns will pass more this yr as lewis is another yr older and rly has no-one to come in and spell him.. also w/ the sec issues they will be in a lot of shoot-out games.

The_WARDen
06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I realize I'm tuning in late here and apologize if it's been mentioned...but, in order for it to be a rivalry doesn't each team have to be able to beat the other?

The Clowns never beat the Steelers so how could this be a rivalry...a seasonal beat down makes more sense.

The Ravens are more of a rivalry IMO.

:coffee:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I realize I'm tuning in late here and apologize if it's been mentioned...but, in order for it to be a rivalry doesn't each team have to be able to beat the other?

The Clowns never beat the Steelers so how could this be a rivalry...a seasonal beat down makes more sense.

The Ravens are more of a rivalry IMO.

uh..thats a stupid theory.

The majority of rivalries in College Football are pretty damn lopsided at the moment.

Look at South Carolina-Clemson, they both hate each other and Clemson normally wins that

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/6453/1briansipegx4.jpg

They still pretty much hate the USC's guts, and USC really hasn't won anything.

You think Michigan considered OSU less of a rival during the cooper years? How about this past seasons with tressel at the helm with the Buckeyes?

Rivalries go through upswings for teams and downswings. Doesn't make them more or less special, its just what happens in sports.

KeiselPower99
06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
..and Mike Tomczak.

We won a divison with Tomczak and Maddox.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
We won a divison with Tomczak and Maddox.

Never understood the hate about Tommy from you guys. He led you guys to an AFC Championship game, He didn't win it, but he at least made it. like yeah he sucked later on, but still, I always thought it was pretty cool you guys find a washed-up Shane Falco type of guy as a QB and he won a few games as well.

The_WARDen
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM

The majority of rivalries in College Football are pretty damn lopsided at the moment.

Look at South Carolina-Clemson, they both hate each other and Clemson normally wins that

You think Michigan considered OSU less of a rival during the cooper years? How about this past seasons with tressel at the helm with the Buckeyes?

Rivalries go through upswings for teams and downswings. Doesn't make them more or less special, its just what happens in sports.

regardless, you're still our b*tches...

jmk1977
06-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Cleveland Still sucks feel the steel:tt:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
RRWPC, Maddox never got us to an AFC Championship Game...he got us to the divisional round against the Titans where we lost, but never any further than that.

We went to two AFCCG's with Kordell Stewart and two with Ben Roethlisberger.

KeiselPower99
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM
That is true why do we hate Maddox so much???

LVSteelersfan
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM

I don't hate Maddox. I think he actually did a much better job than Tomczak, Brister, Malone, and company. I think Kordell and O'Donnell were slightly better than Maddox. People hate ODonnell as well which I don't understand because he took us to AFCCG and a Super Bowl. I was just happy to see Tommy Gun bite the dust and be replaced by Ben because he could not throw a 15 yard out pass for the life of him. How many INTs did we see him throw trying to throw a pass he was not capable of throwing. That is why people don't like him. Coaches should not call plays for players who are incapable of succeeding at it, so they are partly responsible as well.

Galax Steeler
06-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Maddox choked under pressure and threw way to many interceptions.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM

I think the Maddox thing is that at first we all loved him. He came in and replaced Kordell Strewart. He caught everyone by surprise and led us to an AFC Divisional Playoff game.

However after that magical season, Maddox's large flaws were shown. Defenses caught on to him, he was a sitting duck in the pocket. He couldn't make the throws that are neccassary(sp?) for a starting NFL QB to make.

However, I feel his greatest accomplishment was leading us to that 6-10 season that put us in the position to draft Ben Roethlisberger.

I think a part of why so many Steelers fans have a strong dislike of him is that he made bad desicions throwing into double/triple coverage knowing he didn't have the arm strength or accuracy to thread the needle. Also, after he would throw a pick or a fumble, he'd be shown walking off the field smiling and then laughing on the sidelines like he didn't really care.

KeiselPower99
06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
And lets not forget he helped Ben out alot his rookie year. I sadly think though the game all of us will remember him for his either the Texans loss in 02 or the Jags loss in 05. Interception riden games. For all of Maddoxs flaws I really liked him. Thought he was a great mentor for Ben. Honestly most teams would love to have Maddox and Batch mentoring their number 1 guy.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
And lets not forget he helped Ben out alot his rookie year. I sadly think though the game all of us will remember him for his either the Texans loss in 02 or the Jags loss in 05. Interception riden games. For all of Maddoxs flaws I really liked him. Thought he was a great mentor for Ben. Honestly most teams would love to have Maddox and Batch mentoring their number 1 guy.

That's for sure.

Maddox was never the same after being driven into the turf head first against the Titans that one year.

Maddox may have made some bad football desicions on the field, but he was a smart QB and was a big help to Ben.

Maddox could read a coverage, he just couldn't do anything to exploit it, lol.

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
People hate ODonnell as well which I don't understand because he took us to AFCCG and a Super Bowl.

Ok, let me explain why I hate Odonnell. In the Biggest game of his life, he threw not one, but two huge interceptions. (The third INT was a hailmary late in the game). The 2nd INT was the killer though, same pattern, same int, same guy caught the int.

We'd gotten a field goal, then kicked a surprise onside kick and recovered. Then we drove down field and scored another TD. Then, our Defense held strong and we held Dallas to a 3 and out and got the ball back. All the momentum was with the Steelers, you could taste it, the victory was right there for us to take, it was all there, all we had to do was drive down field as we had the last 2 times we had the ball and score again. You knew our D would hold. Emmit was held all game, look at the stats, we owned Dallas in every stat but one, and that one was INTs. When Neil threw that 2nd Int, I swear to God as my witness, I felt he did it on purpose. It was that bad of a throw. "The Receiver ran a bad route" does not hold well with me. Not when it happens twice. No way, no how. Neil O effed up that game. I hate him and hope he never ever wins anything again in his life.

Read the break down, game is 13-7, we are driving, INT early in the 3rd quarter.
Then, Dallas scores, 20-7, so we drive, get the field goal. 20-10. Then we get the ball back with the onside kick, score, make it 20-17, then we get the ball back again with just under 4 minutes left. What happens, Neil effed it up.

Never will forgive him for that. Ever. We should have won 24-20, 4 point win, just like other Pitt vs Dallas SBs instead, we get 5-1. Got I hate that guy.

Don't even get me started on the AFC Title game the year prior when he blew up against San Diego either. He is a Toolbag.

revefsreleets
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM

College football is a totally different animal. This is the NFL. A lawnmower does not consider the grass it mows down it's rival. An axe does not consider the tree it fells its rival. A shark that eats up a seal does not see the seal as a rival. And the Browns are not the rival of the Steelers until they can actually put together a decent series of games in which they, you know, actually notch a W here and there.

KeiselPower99
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Can we get back to why the Brownies wont win anything this year?????? But as for O donnell its the ints in the Super Bowl. End of story.

LVSteelersfan
06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Can we get back to why the Brownies wont win anything this year?????? But as for O donnell its the ints in the Super Bowl. End of story.

I don't disagree that I was po'ed with those Super Bowl muffs by ODonnell but he was good enough to get us to the AFCCG against San Diego and into the Super Bowl against Dallas. You need to cut the guy some slack. We could have had some horrid record like 6-10 or whatever it was that Bubby took us to. Or watched Kordell screw things up royally. Or Malone or Stoudt or any of those clowns they tried to force on us over the years. For some reason Kordell seems to get more credit then Neil although ODonnell was TWICE the QB that Kordell was. Kordell NEVER took us to a Super Bowl.

As for the Clowns. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!! Their fans can't get it into their heads they have to play a REAL SCHEDULE this year. It is ok to want to root for their team, but I think they are going to be greatly disappointed when they are 2-6 or 3-5 in the first half of the season against those monster teams they have to play.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't disagree that I was po'ed with those Super Bowl muffs by ODonnell but he was good enough to get us to the AFCCG against San Diego and into the Super Bowl against Dallas. You need to cut the guy some slack. We could have had some horrid record like 6-10 or whatever it was that Bubby took us to. Or watched Kordell screw things up royally. Or Malone or Stoudt or any of those clowns they tried to force on us over the years. For some reason Kordell seems to get more credit then Neil although ODonnell was TWICE the QB that Kordell was. Kordell NEVER took us to a Super Bowl.

As for the Clowns. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!! Their fans can't get it into their heads they have to play a REAL SCHEDULE this year. It is ok to want to root for their team, but I think they are going to be greatly disappointed when they are 2-6 or 3-5 in the first half of the season against those monster teams they have to play.

uh..the next games after you guys is Cincy and the rats. 3-1 is very possible if we pull off the upset over you guys, Also, I don't believe the Dallas game is outta reach neither, We've always played well against them for some odd reason.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QUHfyk5V40o

lulz, didn't we play the same schedule as you guys last year? So, Last years Schedule for you guys wasn't a "real" schedule? :flap:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-04-2008, 02:53 PM
College football is a totally different animal. This is the NFL. A lawnmower does not consider the grass it mows down it's rival. An axe does not consider the tree it fells its rival. A shark that eats up a seal does not see the seal as a rival. And the Browns are not the rival of the Steelers until they can actually put together a decent series of games in which they, you know, actually notch a W here and there.

LOL, alright, another example.

Whizzards-Cavs this year, We our 3-0 record against them in the playoffs. We still despise them, nothing is going to change that, because Deshawn opened his big yap. The Wizards hate us even more than we hate them.

Face it, It's a rivalry. It always has been and always will be. Even in the 50's and 60's when the Steelers were getting beat down by the Browns, it was STILL a rivalry.

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 02:54 PM

It's no secret around here that I was a huge fan of Maddox. Without him at the helm in 2002, we never would have made it to the first round of the playoffs, much less the second round. Seems to me a lot of people forget about that magical season and how much Maddox did to make it happen.

Tommy had a fairly strong and accurate arm - thus, his nickname "Tommy Gun". I don't think he was ever the same after his head/spine injury in Tennessee or his elbow injury the following season. He seemed to turn a bit "gun shy" which isn't all that out of the norm after sustaining head/neck trauma.

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I tend to agree, Maddox was fun to watch, but I never felt that with him behind center, 2 minutes left, that we'd get it done. I hoped we would, but never "knew we'd do it". I feel that way with Ben. Game on the line, we need a drive, I like Ben in those spots a lot. I'm biased, though, I mean, I'm a fan of the guy since he brought home Ring 5 so haters can be haters all they want.

Neil, he broke my heart, I won't forgive him. Bubby, he destroyed the best game of Merrill Hoge's life by fumbling the freaking ball against Denver and giving it back to Elway. So sad. Kordell...big....freaking....sigh....on Kordell. All the talent in the world and was just a head case. Malone...yeah...um...the 80s...good times....

The_WARDen
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
LOL, alright, another example.

Whizzards-Cavs this year, We our 3-0 record against them in the playoffs. We still despise them, nothing is going to change that, because Deshawn opened his big yap. The Wizards hate us even more than we hate them.

Face it, It's a rivalry. It always has been and always will be. Even in the 50's and 60's when the Steelers were getting beat down by the Browns, it was STILL a rivalry.

Do people in Cleveland realize that there is/was football after 1960? Jesus that was 50 years ago!!!! Who cares or even remotely remembers???

Well ya know, the Clowns used to beat the Steelers and I remember going to the game in my Model T...

If that's all ya got then :toofunny:

KeiselPower99
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
It's no secret around here that I was a huge fan of Maddox. Without him at the helm in 2002, we never would have made it to the first round of the playoffs, much less the second round. Seems to me a lot of people forget about that magical season and how much Maddox did to make it happen.

Tommy had a fairly strong and accurate arm - thus, his nickname "Tommy Gun". I don't think he was ever the same after his head/spine injury in Tennessee or his elbow injury the following season. He seemed to turn a bit "gun shy" which isn't all that out of the norm after sustaining head/neck trauma.

The 2 injuries did screw him up. 2002 was a magical season and end of an era all together we finally got a qb that wasnt a mental headache(Kordell) and one that wasnt afraid to let it fly. He never got enough credit for what he did do but still gets way to much crap for his mistakes.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Do people in Cleveland realize that there is/was football after 1960? Jesus that was 50 years ago!!!! Who cares or even remotely remembers???

Well ya know, the Clowns used to beat the Steelers and I remember going to the game in my Model T...

If that's all ya got then :toofunny:

Well 50 years from now, someone could bring up the Steelers wins and such and us Browns fans would probably have the same reaction.

Buts thats besides the point, the point I was making, is that rivalries go through different waves of teams winning like that. Its still a rivalry, and when the Browns beat the Steelers (Which is inevitable, hate to break it to you, but eventually we are going to take one from you.). You'll realize why it is a rivalry.

revefsreleets
06-05-2008, 09:39 AM
My favorite example of flawed logic is when Browns fans (prior to SB 40) were so quick to point out that the Steelers hadn't won a Super Bowl sice '80, yet had no problem bragging out of the other side of their mouth about "The Glory Years" of the 60's.

Yes, the Browns/Steelers are a traditional rival. But the fact is, until a couple years ago, the Browns players were overheard saying things like "it's just another game" and the like, so, until they learn and appreciate the history of the match-up, it becomes a secondary rivalry. Like i've said, the Browns have become my second favorite team, because they've come to represent two automatic "W's" every year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
The 2 injuries did screw him up. 2002 was a magical season and end of an era all together we finally got a qb that wasnt a mental headache(Kordell) and one that wasnt afraid to let it fly. He never got enough credit for what he did do but still gets way to much crap for his mistakes.

True.

I remember when Maddox took the job from KS in relief one game and a steeler official was reported as saying in the tunnel ."finally.....we have a quarterback."

Maddox was just that, a QB and not a "running QB"

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Well 50 years from now, someone could bring up the Steelers wins and such and us Browns fans would probably have the same reaction.

Buts thats besides the point, the point I was making, is that rivalries go through different waves of teams winning like that. Its still a rivalry, and when the Browns beat the Steelers (Which is inevitable, hate to break it to you, but eventually we are going to take one from you.). You'll realize why it is a rivalry.

Its always been a rivalry and always will be. Yes, you will eventually win one, its the law of averages.

Think back to the first game back in Cleveland stadium where the Steelers were able to release the frustration of not having the Browns to kick around. That 43-0 game was one that I had been waiting for ever since Modell moved the Ravens.

vasteeler
06-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I tend to agree, Maddox was fun to watch, but I never felt that with him behind center, 2 minutes left, that we'd get it done. I hoped we would, but never "knew we'd do it". I feel that way with Ben. Game on the line, we need a drive, I like Ben in those spots a lot. I'm biased, though, I mean, I'm a fan of the guy since he brought home Ring 5 so haters can be haters all they want.

Neil, he broke my heart, I won't forgive him. Bubby, he destroyed the best game of Merrill Hoge's life by fumbling the freaking ball against Denver and giving it back to Elway. So sad. Kordell...big....freaking....sigh....on Kordell. All the talent in the world and was just a head case. Malone...yeah...um...the 80s...good times....

what about Cliff Stout:rofl:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
My favorite example of flawed logic is when Browns fans (prior to SB 40) were so quick to point out that the Steelers hadn't won a Super Bowl sice '80, yet had no problem bragging out of the other side of their mouth about "The Glory Years" of the 60's.

I still get that all the time.

When bringing up the Steelers accomplshments of the 1970's....it's "living in the past".

But those Browns accomplishments from the 1960's and before...it's "history".

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Here is a cool link (http://www.afc-north.com/rivalry/clepit.html) to info on the Steelers-Browns rivalry if anyone wants to check it out.

The main page has info on three of the six rivalries, hopefully the other three will be up before long.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I still get that all the time.

When bringing up the Steelers accomplshments of the 1970's....it's "living in the past".

But those Browns accomplishments from the 1960's and before...it's "history".

To be fair.

we bring up the 60's stuff AFTER the 70's SB wins are brought up, as they're rougly about 10 years between each other. Thus, If ours old, that must mean yours are as well?

Are The Browns wins Historic? You betcha!

Same with the Steelers in the 70's, No doubt they are the Team of that decade, as we were of the 50's-60's era.

When the past is brought up, We'll mention our past. And when the present is brought up, we'll mention our improvements and needs.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Hold up RRWPC, you live in the Akron/Canton area? I got family down there...some of which are Steelers fans (my smart family from down there :flap:).

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Hold up RRWPC, you live in the Akron/Canton area? I got family down there...some of which are Steelers fans (my smart family from down there :flap:).

Yup Born and Raised to love the Browns. ;). HS football buddy of mine is a Steelers fan and used to work at Wendy's and gave me free chicken nuggets with my meal (me and him are going to the same college). So ya'll are not that bad in my book, as long as you guys know what you're talking about when it comes to football and aren't d***s.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Yup Born and Raised to love the Browns. ;). HS football buddy of mine is a Steelers fan and used to work at Wendy's and gave me free chicken nuggets with my meal (me and him are going to the same college). So ya'll are not that bad in my book, as long as you guys know what you're talking about when it comes to football and aren't d***s.

Yeah living in Cleveland most of my friends are Browns fans.

I gotta hand it, MOST Browns fans know their football...I am talking all teams not just the Browns.

I'm a football junkie. And personally, I love reading about the Browns...they do have quite a history. Favorite Browns book ever is False Start....too many things in that book seem to be more than coincidence.

What college are you going to?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah living in Cleveland most of my friends are Browns fans.

I gotta hand it, MOST Browns fans know their football...I am talking all teams not just the Browns.

I'm a football junkie. And personally, I love reading about the Browns...they do have quite a history. Favorite Browns book ever is False Start....too many things in that book seem to be more than coincidence.

What college are you going to?

Kent State! Home of Joshua Cribbs and Harrison I think?

You read False Start as well? loved that book. Some of the reasons in that book probably explain why it took us TEN YEARS to get to finally not being a door mat.

I auctually like reading up on the enemy as well, I leafed through a Myron Cope book once, was auctually a pretty good read. The History of both franchises are pretty cool.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Kent State! Home of Joshua Cribbs and Harrison I think?

You read False Start as well? loved that book. Some of the reasons in that book probably explain why it took us TEN YEARS to get to finally not being a door mat.

I auctually like reading up on the enemy as well, I leafed through a Myron Cope book once, was auctually a pretty good read. The History of both franchises are pretty cool.

Kent State University....good choice my friend.

Yes, the college home of James Harrison, the Clows Fan Slammin OLB of the Pittburgh Steelers!

Oh, and here's a fact you probally don't know. Jack Lambert, the legendary MLB of the 70's Pittsburgh Steelers also played his college ball at Kent State University.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Kent State University....good choice my friend.

Yes, the college home of James Harrison, the Clows Fan Slammin OLB of the Pittburgh Steelers!

Oh, and here's a fact you probally don't know. Jack Lambert, the legendary MLB of the 70's Pittsburgh Steelers also played his college ball at Kent State University.

He has a car dealership around here I think?. Pretty lengendary LB one of the true greats. Grew up a Browns fan, and of course good ol' Moddell decided to not draft him. :banging:. Ah well. Thats why I have a general draft rule of thumb now-days, If he grew up a fan or is from the state, then draft him, because he'll end up screwing your franchise later on. Should've seen my reaction when they showed BQ in a Browns jersey in a kid and I thought the Dolphins were going to draft him. Because I was completely convinced and under the impression that just because he's from the state, doesn't make him a fan *cough* Big Ben *cough*.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-06-2008, 03:47 PM
He has a car dealership around here I think?. Pretty lengendary LB one of the true greats. Grew up a Browns fan, and of course good ol' Moddell decided to not draft him. :banging:. Ah well. Thats why I have a general draft rule of thumb now-days, If he grew up a fan or is from the state, then draft him, because he'll end up screwing your franchise later on. Should've seen my reaction when they showed BQ in a Browns jersey in a kid and I thought the Dolphins were going to draft him. Because I was completely convinced and under the impression that just because he's from the state, doesn't make him a fan *cough* Big Ben *cough*.

Yeah, Ben says he grew up a Cowboys fan (poor misguided soul).

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, Ben says he grew up a Cowboys fan (poor misguided soul).

I thought it was a '9ers/Broncs fan?

A lot of Browns fans don't like him because of that reason. Not questioning the guys playing ability or his heart or anything like that. But the way we hear it is he grew up HATING ohio teams.

HometownGal
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
But the way we hear it is he grew up HATING ohio teams.

Sounds like a great plan to me! :drink::tt02::wink02::flap:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Sounds like a great plan to me! :drink::tt02::wink02::flap:

not if you're a kid growing up in the state. :P. Even The Steelers fans around here at least like the Buckeyes.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I thought it was a '9ers/Broncs fan?

A lot of Browns fans don't like him because of that reason. Not questioning the guys playing ability or his heart or anything like that. But the way we hear it is he grew up HATING ohio teams.

I am pretty sure he said he grew up rooting for the Cowboys.

And I think his problems with Ohio State stem from his recruitment. They recruited his as a tight end and when he asked his chances about playing QB they told him that it was tight end or nothing for him at Ohio State.

Also, I don't think he grew up HATING Ohio teams...but the Ohio media spinned it that way because:

1. He's a Pittsburgh Steeler, which I have found many Browns fans feel he's a traitor for it though you cannot help who drafts you.

2. It's good for the Browns/Bengals-Steelers rivalry to spin it that the Ohio grown QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers hated Ohio teams from a young age.

3. He grew up a fan of teams that weren't Ohio teams.

BlastFurnace
06-06-2008, 09:44 PM
not if you're a kid growing up in the state. :P. Even The Steelers fans around here at least like the Buckeyes.

I grew up in Ohio, and I'm a huge Reds and Buckeye fan. I am indifferent towards the Indians and Cavs. I despise the Bengals and Browns.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-06-2008, 10:33 PM
To be fair with Ben and OSU, He didn't play QB until his senior year, his coach has said as much. And to also be fair, OSU had Craig Krenzel penciled in as the starter around the time he would've came into being a player. Followed by that it would've been Troy Smith, who ended up being pretty good as well. So at least they were being honest with him in that regard.

I think, its pretty cool Ben made a name for himself from the mac and ended up being a great QB in the NFL. Now, I'm none to big a fan of him for obvious reasons, but as a resident of the buckeye state, I think players like him, and Brady Quinn are a testament to how strong our state is when it comes to producing World Class Football players.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Ironically, favorite team growing up was the Cleveland Browns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roethlisberger

Well his wiki entry is wrong. I swear last year Jim Nantz said he was fan of the '9ers and Broncs.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-07-2008, 10:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roethlisberger

Well his wiki entry is wrong. I swear last year Jim Nantz said he was fan of the '9ers and Broncs.

I thought I read on his website that he frew up a Cowboys fan, so it was ironic that he is now a Steeler.

I know Brady Quinn supposedly grew up a big Browns and Bernie Kosar fan.

I know Troy Smith grew up a Browns fan and was ironically drafted by the Ravens.

And Krenzel grew up a Lions fan and was ironically drafted by the Bears.

Edman
06-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I think Clevelanders hate the Steelers more than they love the Browns. Browns fans have proven consistently that they are a bunch of shit talkers. Every year for the last couple years we're supposed to suck because we lost so-and-so in free agency, and how the Browns will take over the series and dominate. This year they're so desperate that they knocked Ben's new contract. That same QB who's crapped on their precious orange helmets since his rookie year.

Browns fans make cute little Steeler photoshop pictures and post them on their board then giggle like little school girls to comphensate for their team sucking ass. They call Pittsburgh fans sorry frontrunners and poor fans when they were the ones who lost their football team. They say Steeler fans live in the past, but won't mind talking about the glory days of the 60's.

Yeah, I'm generalizing a bit here, but it's no excuse for Clevelanders generalizing Pittsburgh as a backwards hick town full of toothless hillbilly inbreds all over their boards.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I think Clevelanders hate the Steelers more than they love the Browns. Browns fans have proven consistently that they are a bunch of shit talkers. Every year for the last couple years we're supposed to suck because we lost so-and-so in free agency, and how the Browns will take over the series and dominate. This year they're so desperate that they knocked Ben's new contract. That same QB who's crapped on their precious orange helmets since his rookie year.

Uh..not really, I didn't expect us to start competing until this year or next at the beginning of last year,

Browns fans make cute little Steeler photoshop pictures and post them on their board then giggle like little school girls to comphensate for their team sucking ass. They call Pittsburgh fans sorry frontrunners and poor fans when they were the ones who lost their football team. They say Steeler fans live in the past, but won't mind talking about the glory days of the 60's.

*ahem*

AGAIN WITH THE LOSING OF THE TEAM S***. COME FREAKING ON. EVERY BROWNS GAME WAS SOLD OUT UNTIL THE END, AND WE WERE ABLE TO KEEP OUR FRANCHISE COLORS AND NAME DUE TO STEELERS AND BROWNS GOING UP TO THE NFL AND TELLING THEM AS SUCH. IT HAD NOTHING, NADDA, ZIP, TO DO WITH THE FANS. IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH AN IDIOT BUSINESSMAN, READ UP ON IT.

Also, if we were such joke fans why are we also the most loyal according to the NFL?
http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/43.html

Sorry, but If I have to hear one more Steelers fan who wasn't alive back in '95 or has a crappy memory that...

Are we calling Pittsburghers or lifelong fans Frontrunners?, uh, no. We're calling the idiot teenagers who live in our backyard, who claim to be Steelers fans. You know, the ones whos only connection to football is playing Madden? And are so clueless about the sport they call Hines Ward "the Steelers BEST Defensive player". Any hardcore Steelers fan I've got no problem, heck, I'll chill with you and talk football with anytime. Even if you're a fellow Buckeye, I don't got a problem with that, as long as you stick with your team to the bitter end, no switching back and forth.

Yeah, I'm generalizing a bit here, but it's no excuse for Clevelanders generalizing Pittsburgh as a backwards hick town full of toothless hillbilly inbreds all over their boards.

Likewise, its no excuse to constantly say that we moved because of lack of fan support.

Aussie_steeler
06-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry, but If I have to hear one more Steelers fan who wasn't alive back in '95 or has a crappy memory that....

Gotta love the hollow threats that you are making at teenagers. Classy.

Sorry buddy but let me remind you that this is a STEELERS board.

If you dont want to hear views from steelers fans then hit the highway.

I am a steeler fan who comes here to share views with steeler fans not cleveland trolls.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Gotta love the hollow threats that you are making at teenagers. Classy.

Sorry buddy but let me remind you that this is a STEELERS board.

If you dont want to hear views from steelers fans then hit the highway.

I am a steeler fan who comes here to share views with steeler fans not cleveland trolls.

Uh, I am a Teenager dude. :flap:. So, I'm pretty much being very critical of my generation, in Ohio a lot of kids my age flipped to the Steelers as a fashion statement, hence a lot of the bitterness towards pittsburgh fans. And hence why I used the term "backyard"

I'm not saying for him to hit the highway, I'm saying for him to get his facts straight. Wanna Trash how the Browns don't have a Super Bowl? Fine, thats having your facts straight. Wanna Trash The Browns moving because they "didn't have a fanbase in '95"? Thats not having your facts straight. Thats Stupid. And I could give you a whole list and a whole lot of Browns fan who can tell you that is not true. It's pisspoor arguing a point. It'd be like me saying.."Well, the Penguins were rumored to move to Las Vegas, so that must mean their fans all suck and don't show up".

Keep saying we suck as a team is one thing, but to call us not real fans is quite another.

Aussie_steeler
06-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Keep saying we suck as a team is one thing, but to call us not real fans is quite another.

I actually called you a troll. Never said you suck. Never challenged your realness as a fan.

I called you a troll and said that if you dont want to hear the views of steelers fans then hit the highway.

I know the attention span of gen Y is limited but at least read the 4 sentences I posted.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I actually called you a troll. Never said you suck. Never challenged your realness as a fan.

I called you a troll and said that if you dont want to hear the views of steelers fans then hit the highway.

I know the attention span of gen Y is limited but at least read the 4 sentences I posted.

So I'm a Troll for pointing out that someone was very wrong on their point of view, something that I can back up with stats, Steelers fans who witnessed it first hand, Browns fans who witnessed it first hand, and the National media seeing it as well? O-kay then. And just because I'm A Browns fan and he's a Steelers fan, He's immediately right and I'm immediately wrong? Oh-kay. Some pretty sound logic there. *sarcasm*

Aussie_steeler
06-07-2008, 11:59 PM
So I'm a Troll for pointing out that someone was very wrong on their point of view, something that I can back up with stats, Steelers fans who witnessed it first hand, Browns fans who witnessed it first hand, and the National media seeing it as well? O-kay then. And just because I'm A Browns fan and he's a Steelers fan, He's immediately right and I'm immediately wrong? Oh-kay. Some pretty sound logic there. *sarcasm*

Your on a steelers board. I am stating that you would be better served heading to a browns board and discussing issues with other browns fans. You are trying to inflame members of this board who are steelers fans. In my view that makes you a troll.

I dont care if you can back it up. I dont care about the history of the browns. I dont care about you losing a team and I dont care for trolls.

Good luck for this season. May the best team win and regardless of the outcome you will never see me post on a browns board. :wave:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Good luck for this season. May the best team win and regardless of the outcome you will never see me post on a browns board. :wave:

The only real way to settle things is on the field ;). Best of luck to you as well, and regardless of what happens you probably wont stop me from popping up from time to time. :grin:

revefsreleets
06-08-2008, 01:37 PM
KSU, eh RWWPC? I'm Akron alum, so we are rivals in more than one way. I work in Kent, though, so I can't hate the school completely, especially since I love driving up and down 59 with all the college chicks out in their shorts and little tank tops. God Bless KSU chicks! Not to mention Harrison and Lambert.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
KSU, eh RWWPC? I'm Akron alum, so we are rivals in more than one way. I work in Kent, though, so I can't hate the school completely, especially since I love driving up and down 59 with all the college chicks out in their shorts and little tank tops. God Bless KSU chicks! Not to mention Harrison and Lambert.

God Bless Josh Cribss ;) lol

I unno, if I'll stay at Kent or not, I may be transferring a few years from now. I do like the area minus the hippies.

Did I ever mention my first visit to the main campus (I am going to a satellite technically.) was on the aniversy of the shootings, and cindy sheehan was there :dang:, Yeah imagine having a Communist paper pushed into your face while hearing some guy drop the F Bomb every five minutes in front of High School students.

lilyoder6
06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
i think u 2 need to relax a lil and have a cookie..

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 06:48 PM
i think u 2 need to relax a lil and have a cookie..

What type of cookie? :)

steel striker
06-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I know I should not say this but, he it goes anyway. The browns have a history of being beat by a team that has a #7 at the helm. Let mention Elway to some of the browns fans I know are fighting words. Now we have our #7 Big Ben and, he is going keep winning games for us and, keep you brownies down in the dumps. I know the browns are getting better but, when it matter most last season the browns really just could not get it done. Too many mistakes that the bottom line. Like metioned many time during this thread the last time I looked we are the defending north champs. So til someone team knocks us off we stil are the north champs.

Stlrs4Life
06-08-2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2006-12/26710788.jpg

Do I need to post how many times this man screwed the works up on everything we ever did post-'64?

Quit using the same old excuse. You all loved Art when he was there, and don't forget, Al Lerner was his buddy. Lerner was even on the plane with Art when they left Cleveland. All he wanted was a new stadium, and he didn't get one.

Stlrs4Life
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
...and if its all the same..I really liked Turkey Joe Jones hit. Apparently that REALLY screwed up Bradshaw from what I've heard..Myron Cope talked about in his one book I read just to see what he thought of the Brownies.

http://blogs.clevescene.com/cnotes/winslow-porter.jpg

was sorta half-rooting for you guys to keep porter so the rivalry with him and KWII could thicken even further!

Its a rivalry, we're both football obsessed parts of the country. We've had coaches come in from Pittsburgh, You guys have had coaches from Cleveland. The amount of talent the Rust Belt from Toledo to outside of Pittsburgh has devolped is pretty staggering.

Phil Savage is the man! HUGE reason why the rats were so successful and why we're returning to form.

Turkey Jones could die in a fire for all I care right next to Jack Tatum, and I wouldn't shed a tear. Winslow was no match for Porter.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Quit using the same old excuse. You all loved Art when he was there, and don't forget, Al Lerner was his buddy. Lerner was even on the plane with Art when they left Cleveland. All he wanted was a new stadium, and he didn't get one.

Uh..I was like 5..when he moved the Browns..So, The first time I heard his name was in regards to the move...:flap:. Hence my hatred for the man.

Anyways, Doesn't matter how much we loved him then, I bet money if Rooney pulled the same stunt, you would instantly be pissed at the man. (Hypothetical before you guys flip)

....And we did offer to build him a new stadium, several times auctually. The Gateway project was to include either be a shared Domed Stadium with the Tribe, or across the Field from the Jake (undomed). Art said no.Again he pushed it THE YEAR OF THE MOVE, and We voted unamiously to build a new stadium, hence why the new Browns Stadium is up today.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Turkey Jones could die in a fire for all I care

Ah, Good, He did his job then. ;)

fansince'76
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Turkey Jones could die in a fire for all I care

Ah, Good, He did his job then. ;)

Not all that well considering all he's remembered for is a cheap shot that was blatant enough to draw a flag in an era where real football was still actually played.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Not all that well considering all he's remembered for is a cheap shot that was blatant enough to draw a flag in an era where real football was still actually played.

its a part of football sadly, and probably amped up the rivalry to another level at a time when it was pretty dorment. Not saying what I thought he did was right from a football standpoint. But theres no denying what it represents about the rivalry.

fansince'76
06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
its a part of football sadly, and probably amped up the rivalry to another level at a time when it was pretty dorment. Not saying what I thought he did was right from a football standpoint. But theres no denying what it represents about the rivalry.

I agree - after all, Jack Lambert knocked Brian Sipe out of the same game earlier with a concussion.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I agree - after all, Jack Lambert knocked Brian Sipe out of the same game earlier with a concussion.

Sounds like a good game. Wish I could've seen it or a tape at least :(

Hell, I know this won't sound right to a lot of you guys, but a lot of fans of the Steelers I've auctually met are waiting for the Browns to be consistantly competitive as it is a better rivalry than with a House Cat or a Rat with wings.

jjpro11
06-09-2008, 12:02 AM
What type of cookie? :)

have a cookie son.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/mikefeinbergcompany_2003_7606899

revefsreleets
06-09-2008, 08:26 AM
God Bless Josh Cribss ;) lol

I unno, if I'll stay at Kent or not, I may be transferring a few years from now. I do like the area minus the hippies.

Did I ever mention my first visit to the main campus (I am going to a satellite technically.) was on the aniversy of the shootings, and cindy sheehan was there :dang:, Yeah imagine having a Communist paper pushed into your face while hearing some guy drop the F Bomb every five minutes in front of High School students.

Yikes. Welcome to Kent State.

Yes, it's in poor taste, but around where I work we say we are located "Just a gunshot away from KSU".