PDA

View Full Version : O-line next year ...

paw-n-maul-u
05-30-2008, 04:05 PM
... and yes this is different. Well, more of just a new way to bitch about the same thing. I started looking at not our Of'fensive Line woes next year, and more at the players they'll be facing. We face some absolutely BRUTAL defenses this year.

Looking at the schedule:

Houston(21T)- Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye ... I just read an article on NFL.com about future probowlers, Mario's name was at the top of the list, and he had FOURTEEN sacks last year!!! a quote from it. "he's walking around at 300 Lbs. and he looks unstoppable"

Browns(26T)- zzz. Newly added Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers. Pray to the lords that Mahan is not the center handling Rogers after the snap. Although im skeptic about the addition of 4-3 players for the 3-4 scheme, they seem to fit, and can't be any worse than the previous D-line. Wimbley should bounce back from a poor season also, as well as A.Davis.

Philly(9T)- They blitz all the time anyways, no change there

Jax (9T)- Lost stroud, but added groves and harvey to the pass rush, young, but explosive no doubt.

Baltimore(19T)-Suggs,pryce, ngata (sp?) scott, lewis, ... pick your poison

Cincy(32)- This should be easy, losing justin smith will hurt them

NYG(1)- Ask tom brady about the G-men offensive line.

Washington(16T)- Not too much, they were injured last year tho along the line a good deal, as well as their LB's

Indy(26T)- Mathis, freeney ... this will be tough

SD(5)- Merriman, j.williams, they have lots of talent on that D

NE(2)-They'll come at you from all angles just like baltimore. But after losing half their secondary, I can't imagine they'll take too many risks.

Dallas(3)- D. Ware is a beast ... spears, ellis, now it looks like Ellis is bitching because Anthony spencer is doing so good. This team has a lot of front 7 talent as well.

Tennessee(7)- stout defense. they'll get pressure, haynesworth, kyle vanden bosh (sp?), they are good.

Looking at it statistically, in 2007 we played these ranked defenses (in # of sacks) ... if it says 25 next to it, they were ranked 25th in SACK DEFENSE, if it has a "T", that means they were Tied with another team for x-amount of sacks.

*****if you were wondering, thats what the numbers up top next to the team are also

Cleveland-26T
Buffalo-29
San Fran-21T
Arizona-13T
Seattle-4
Denver-16T
Cincy- 32
B-more-19T
NYJ-24
Miami-25
NE-2
JAX-9T
STL-21T

It looks like the defense we will be playing are going to be very good, with only cincy not REALLY scaring anyone.

-In 2008 we face 7 of the top ten Sack defenses in the league ... 4 of the top 5 from 07'
LAST YEAR, we only faced 3 of the top 10 sack defenses ... 2 of the top 5 from 07'

basically, it would make sense that our sacks would increase. We faced some absolutely terrible pass rush defenses last year, and gave up big sacks to them. ... lets just cross our fingers for changed fortunes

GBMelBlount
05-30-2008, 04:16 PM
In 2008 we face 7 of the top ten Sack defenses in the league

LAST YEAR, we only faced 3 of the top 10 sack defenses

Sounds like our O-line better "gel".....and fast!

Dino 6 Rings
05-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Sounds like we'll need to establish a running game against these teams in order to take pressure off our passing game, and also have our QB have some check downs in the patterns like a TE or a Tall 3rd Receiver, or even a back out of the backfield with good hands on 3rd downs. Oh wait a second. Miller, Sweed and Moore...

Check.

I fear not our competition. We shall start with Houston and move on from there.

19ward86
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Doesnt matter what their statistics were last season, breakout players and rookies can make crazy impacts.

Galax Steeler
05-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Sounds like our O-line better "gel".....and fast!

Agreed we are going to have to play better on the line this year we don't need ben laying on his back all year.

billybob
05-31-2008, 04:56 PM
[B]We have the potential to be a very explosive offense.I believe if we mix up our offensive play calling,utilize our full offensive capabilities,and stay away from being predictable,it won't matter what defense we face.Take one aspect away,and we come at you with another.[Cover that one,then we go back to the other.When you have the diversity that i think we will,you can take most of the pressure off our offensive line.Wish people would stop the bashing of our offensive line.For God sakes,we don't even know who it will be yet,and we have not seen them play a game yet! Wait until they play a game or two before you bash them ,"PLEASE".
That is some sound advice for all of the offensive line bashers!/B]

Hapa
05-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Why don't they just pretend they're falling and take out the enemy head coach?
Belicheck deserves it :o

Steeldude
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM
[B]We have the potential to be a very explosive offense.I believe if we mix up our offensive play calling,utilize our full offensive capabilities,and stay away from being predictable,it won't matter what defense we face.Take one aspect away,and we come at you with another.[Cover that one,then we go back to the other.When you have the diversity that i think we will,you can take most of the pressure off our offensive line.Wish people would stop the bashing of our offensive line.For God sakes,we don't even know who it will be yet,and we have not seen them play a game yet! Wait until they play a game or two before you bash them ,"PLEASE".
That is some sound advice for all of the offensive line bashers!/B]

no reason to praise the O-line yet either.

i am not sure if anyone is actually unjustly bashing the O-line. the O-line has some areas it needs to fix if the steelers want another trip into the post-season. BR can't keep bouncing back from 47 sack seasons for long.

IMO, one thing is certain. the steelers need to pick their starters a little sooner than they did in last year's training camp. musical linemen is not the way to build chemistry and consistency.

billybob
05-31-2008, 09:31 PM
no reason to praise the O-line yet either.

i am not sure if anyone is actually unjustly bashing the O-line. the O-line has some areas it needs to fix if the steelers want another trip into the post-season. BR can't keep bouncing back from 47 sack seasons for long.

IMO, one thing is certain. the steelers need to pick their starters a little sooner than they did in last year's training camp. musical linemen is not the way to build chemistry and consistency.

I here the bashing of our o-line almost 24-7.To me the play calling is the issue i would address.We now have some key weapons,that hopefully we will be able to utilize.I never said they were the best line to ever line up,but if you can not change up the play calling,and keep the defense on its heels,of course the o-line will take the heat. I refuse to believe they are not a worthy collection of guys,until it is proven to me ,sorry.

lilyoder6
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
also we added some new weps to hopefully keep teams from not blitzing so much... actually having a receiving 3rd down back and a tall wr in sweed should help from teams blitzing so much.. it will be a long season if the line doesn't gel nicely too

paw-n-maul-u
05-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks steel dude ... And i definitely was not "bashing" the offensive line. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's panties ... just presenting statistics from last year compared to the teams that we'll face THIS year. And the stats say the steelers will face better pass rushing defeneses this year than last year.

You can sugar coat it a lot if you want.

-Faneca didn't try hard last year.
-We'll be better in the second year of arians offense
-Ben holds on to the ball too long sometimes
-We got a competent center
-Marvel's back will be better
-Colon has a year of experience under his belt.
-Kemo plays "nasty", something faneca seemed to have lost with us
-Out new added weapons will stop 8 and 9 in the box
-Every lineman has another year under LZ
-Starks played well at the end of last year, and he should feel obligated to play up to the money we gave him.
-The line still produced what was, at the time, the leagues leading rusher.

there are a lot of positives you could hope for. I'm sure the line will be fine, ha honestly theres only UP to go. I read an article earlier about ben and being fine with the sacks or whatever, talking about how he holds onto the ball sometimes too long because he does try and make a play

... but simply looking at the pass rush defenses we'll face next year, we better fuggin hope that they play better, no bashing about it.

GBMelBlount
06-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Paw-n-maul-u
I read an article earlier about ben and being fine with the sacks or whatever, talking about how he holds onto the ball sometimes too long because he does try and make a play

Unless we're going to get rid of Ben, I think an argument could be made that we need an even better line to compensate for him holding on to the ball too long. Obviously, he needs to work on it from his end too. Still, if the guy is getting hammered 50 times a year, whether partially his fault or not, the odds are higher imo that he will have a serious injury. He is our biggest investment....

Galax Steeler
06-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I think Tomlin will have our line fixed this year I am sure they will have a game plan better then last year.