PDA

View Full Version : Crowded backfield doesnt faze Moore

Aussie_steeler
05-31-2008, 01:23 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_570267.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 31, 2008

If he had it do again, running back Mewelde Moore would still sign with the Steelers -- even though Pittsburgh has since drafted Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round.
In March, Moore left the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent and signed a three-year deal with the Steelers. The next month, the Steelers added Mendenhall.

Moore, though, said he has never felt better about his decision.

"I'm excited," said Moore, whose contract is worth as much as $4.95 million with a $1.35 million signing bonus. "I know my role. My role is being a return guy and a third-down guy, spelling the (starter and backup). That's something I'm comfortable with."

Pressed about the possibility of an even bigger role reduction with the addition of Mendenhall -- not to mention the presence of Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell in the Steelers' crowded backfield -- Moore didn't blink an eye.
"That's the reason why I signed on," said Moore, a former fourth-round pick out of Tulane. "I was asked to do certain things I know I'm capable of doing."

Moore, a 5-foot-11, 209-pounder, played four years with the Minnesota Vikings, including one season when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the offensive coordinator. He had 11 career starts, rushing for 1,285 yards and one touchdown. He also caught 116 passes for 1,093 yards and three scores.

Moore's versatility with the Vikings was never more evident than when he was part of a rotation that included Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor, Michael Bennett and Onterrio Smith.

"I've been in situations where you build a stable and use every horse in the stable," Moore said. "When you're called upon, you have to make sure that you're capable and ready to do it. I've been here, and so far, I enjoy it."

Another reason for Moore's comfort with the situation is his knack for returning punts, along with the Steelers' need to upgrade in that area.

Moore is Minnesota's career leader in punt-return average (10.5 yards), and he has twice returned punts for touchdowns.

The Steelers' average of 6.1 yards per punt return ranked 30th out of 32 teams in 2007.

I think Moore knows his role and he is more than comfortable in being a role player for a good team. I like his attitude

Elvis
05-31-2008, 04:50 AM
Nice read Aussie. I hope the guy makes alot of plays on special teams and comes in on 3rd downs and gets it going as well. Sounds like a solid 3rd down guy and return man, I just wish the steelers could have some how kept Allen Rossum as well.
:noidea:

Boomerang
05-31-2008, 05:10 AM
Yeah Moore knows he is gonna play his part and be a useful part of the Steelers success.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Davenport may want to to check into the availability of local moving vans.

Galax Steeler
05-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Davenport may want to to check into the availability of local moving vans.

I also see davenport leaving this year as well,Moore should improve on our punt returns and give us better field positon then we were getting last year I think he is a better improvement and faster then rossum was.

lilyoder6
05-31-2008, 11:52 AM
moore will be our punt and ko returner 4 sure unless some how reid and bloom show something incredible.. and he'll be a good 3rd down back since he can catch the ball and run

The Duke
05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
moore helps offensive 3rd downs and kick returns, timmons helps defensive 3rd downs and helps kickoff coverage. how can't it be exciting to see this team this year? :tt02:

you do you job moore, and kick dookie all the way back to green bay

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
I see Moore taking the role that Verron Haynes had the 04-05 season with the addition of returning kicks.

MACH1
05-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Dookie :wave: See ya

I think moore will be a nice addition to the team and yeah he'll probably fill the verron role. And as long as he can catch and hold on to the ball on returns, it should be a good year for us.

tony hipchest
05-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Dookie :wave: See ya

I think moore will be a nice addition to the team and yeah he'll probably fill the verron role. And as long as he can catch and hold on to the ball on returns, it should be a good year for us.not only that, but if parker ever goes down again, moore will be the perfect replacement for him as opposed to the dookster.

moors numbers for his 11 starts are nothing short of phenominal, and he has his best games on the big stage, like against division rivals, defending champions, and even making john maddens horse trailer on monday night.

he is very capable of filling willies role, and one of the best insurance policies we got.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I am really glad we got him, he's a versatile player who comes up big when he's called upon.

How he never caught on as a starting RB somewhere, I will never know.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-31-2008, 02:05 PM
not only that, but if parker ever goes down again, moore will be the perfect replacement for him as opposed to the dookster.

moors numbers for his 11 starts are nothing short of phenominal, and he has his best games on the big stage, like against division rivals, defending champions, and even making john maddens horse trailer on monday night.

he is very capable of filling willies role, and one of the best insurance policies we got.

What a nice problem we have.....We are talking about what an upgrade Moore is and how valuable he will be if parker needs a break....AND we only have to look at the NEXT runningback to see a young Mendenhall in the wings...a rookie that some considered a top 15 pick!!!!!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Steelman16
05-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Our backfield looks to be pretty solid for years to come. Seems like we've been picking up guys with good attitudes and talent. Moore is definitely a fantastic compliment to Willie, not to mention a good return man. Hopefully he can solidfy that position especially, Rossum was ok, but not great. And the folks before him, well, lets just not mention them. :wink02:

paw-n-maul-u
06-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Moore hopefully will upgrade our return game immediately. It seems, other than the center, our FA additions were for the ST's, as well as the Mundy and Humpal picks.

I am really excited about the team that Mike Tomlin is putting together. People say San Diego has one of the deepest rosters in the league and the most talent. Well, If we can get good play out of our offensive line, and have a good draft or two on both sides of the trenches, ON TOP OF ben being in his prime. I think that we could easily have one of the most talented rosters as well.

Galax Steeler
06-01-2008, 07:10 AM
It will be interesting to see who the number 2 guy will be mendenhall or moore It is going to be a great season.

19ward86
06-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Moores versatility will be a big impact in the near future.

Rhee Rhee
06-02-2008, 01:06 AM
not only that, but if parker ever goes down again, moore will be the perfect replacement for him as opposed to the dookster.

i agree completely with your statement and agree that he's probably a better backup to willie than dookie and maybe even mendenhall...

i personally hope that the 3rd down back is mendenhall but the primary backup to FWP is moore...

hopefully he has some big returns and will be the steal of the offseason

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I see Moore taking the role that Verron Haynes had the 04-05 season with the addition of returning kicks.

Yeah, but I see Moore as being a much better receiver. He will kind of give Arians a better version of Jameel White like he had in Cleveland. I good runner with quick feet and receiving ability on 3rd down or to use in a spread formation.

Dino 6 Rings
06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
We may also see Moore on Kick and Punt coverage teams, his ability to get open against a defense can also translate well to being able to get past blocking on returns and make plays on the ball carrier. I'm a fan of this pickup, was since day 1 and look forward to seeing him play for us on Sundays.