PDA

View Full Version : Shula and Cowher

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Was watching the top 10 worst teams on the NFL Channel and found out a couple interesting things

1. The 1990's Bungles are ranked #4 worst team ever - no brainer
2. thank you Mr Cope (may he rest in peace) for branding the Bengals with the nickname Bungles
3. Their tired "who dey" chant goes back a few decades.

4. The Bungles coaching search in 1992 came down to two candidates - -
Shula and Cowher Who knew? :noidea:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Cowher could've easily been a coach for a certain other Ohio pro team, if Art Moddell wasn't the fricken owner :mad:. Best part is that he loved being the assistant here under marty, and seemed pretty psyched being a Browns coach, if anyones seen the Jets game from '86, they can vouch. Rumor has it, that even in his Pittsburgh office he had some Browns stuff.

millwalldavey
06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I watched that today as wel! LOL... Bungles.

millwalldavey
06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Cowher could've easily been a coach for a certain other Ohio pro team, if Art Moddell wasn't the fricken owner :mad:. Best part is that he loved being the assistant here under marty, and seemed pretty psyched being a Browns coach, if anyones seen the Jets game from '86, they can vouch. Rumor has it, that even in his Pittsburgh office he had some Browns stuff.

Well... he did play for them remember...

tony hipchest
06-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Rumor has it, that even in his Pittsburgh office he had some Browns stuff.

yeah it is true that he had a toilet/bathroom in his office with plenty of rolls of tp. :chuckle:

the bungles shouldnt feel bad about missing on cowher. it was quite a coup to land marvin lewis. :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-01-2008, 12:46 PM
..... Their tired "who dey" chant goes back a few decades....

The chant was first used by LSU...who share a fanbase with the Saints..(who were the 1st pro team to use it)
The Saints offensive linemen would yell the chant out and the crowd would answer.
A full year later the Bengals picked it up from a car dealer commercial..then it was made into a silly song by a local DJ... since most Bengal Fans are uninformed...they think it started in Cincy.

CantStop85
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
The chant was first used by LSU...who share a fanbase with the Saints..(who were the 1st pro team to use it)
The Saints offensive linemen would yell the chant out and the crowd would answer.
A full year later the Bengals picked it up from a car dealer commercial..then it was made into a silly song by a local DJ... since most Bengal Fans are uninformed...they think it started in Cincy.

"Who Dat" began as a phrase popular in minstrel and vaudeville shows from the late 1800s that would stereotype black people. It later was adapted by swing and jazz musicians in the 20s and 30s. Particularly with swing, songs would feature improvised lyrics except for one constant piece -- a call and response section between the leader and band or between the band and audience. Here's a sample of one of those songs from 1937:

Who dat up there who's dat down there?
Who dat up there who dat well down there?
Who's dat up there, sayin' who's dat down there?
When I see you up there well who's dat down there?

Who dat inside who's dat outside?
Who's dat inside who dat well outside?
Who's dat inside, singin' who's dat outside?
When I see up there well who's dat out there?

Swing and jazz being as popular and vital as they are in New Orleans, their history has it spreading to New Orleans high schools and then on up until the Saints in the late 70's.

In 1981, the Bengals started out 4-2 after a 6-10 season. In week seven, they had to play their longtime rival Steelers, a perennial power. In what could be considered the Bengals' Super Bowl, they were victorious only to suffer a letdown the following week against (ironically) New Orleans. Now at 5-3 and facing a gauntlet of tough opponents, the Bengals' future looked bleak but won three in a row against Houston, San Diego, and Los Angeles to go 8-3. After the San Diego game, at 7-3, is when Bengals' history claims the "Who dey" started.

An old commercial in Cincinnati for Red Frazier Ford featured the jingle "Who's going to give you a better deal than Red Frazier? Noooo body." Quickly this was adapted to "Who they think is gonna beat them Bengals?" and later replacing "they" and "them" with "dey" and "dem." The saying picked up so much steam that a 45 was recorded by a local weatherman named Zip. I swear that's his name. The lyrics:

From the banks of the Ohio comes that orange and black machine,
They're the Cincinnati Bengals; the finest ever seen.
With stripes upon their helmets and fire in their eyes,
They'll take the field, they will not yield
They're strong and tough and wise.
Who Dey. Who Dey, Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals?
Who Dey, Who Dey, Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals?

Hear that Bengal growling, mean and angry.
See that Bengal prowling, lean and hungry.
An offensive brute, run, pass, or boot.
And defensively, he's rough errrr tough errrr,
Cincinnati Bengals that's the team were gonna cheer to victory.
Touchdown Bengals!!
Put some points up on the board and win a game for Cincinnati!

Noooooobodyyyyy!

Lesson of the story: who do we have to blame for the who dat/who dey chants? Racists! :flap:

HometownGal
06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Rumor has it, that even in his Pittsburgh office he had some Browns stuff.

I'm sure he did in the bathroom that adjoined his office. :poop::chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
06-01-2008, 04:16 PM

WE DEY!

Galax Steeler
06-02-2008, 04:16 AM
WE DEY!

:sofunny::sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-02-2008, 06:03 AM
". It later was adapted by swing and jazz musicians in the 20s and 30s.
Swing and jazz being as popular and vital as they are in New Orleans, their history has it spreading to New Orleans high schools and then on up until the Saints in the late 70's.

Carl Mauck is from my home town of Mcleansboro Illinois..Population 2700...(Strangely enough also the Home town of Utah Jazz head Coach Jerry Sloan) ...Mauck was the offensive line coach for the Saints in the early 80's and swears that the O-line in New Orleans used to laugh about how shamelessly the Bengal Fans had stolen the chant.
You got to at least give the Bengals credit..they may not be original..but they certainly have gotten mileage out of the chant.

steelwall
06-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Who dat??? Is this English?....trust me I get my fair share of broken/wrong English here in China.

Bungles....... change it to "Who's that"....maybe it will magicly improve your team's intelligence.

Dino 6 Rings
06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Didn't Dallas have 2 teams on the worst 10 of all time. That made me laugh inside.

stlrtruck
06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
WE DEY!

Rumor has it that these lyrics have now been changed to...

EVERYBODY!!!

CantStop85
06-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Carl Mauck is from my home town of Mcleansboro Illinois..Population 2700...(Strangely enough also the Home town of Utah Jazz head Coach Jerry Sloan) ...Mauck was the offensive line coach for the Saints in the early 80's and swears that the O-line in New Orleans used to laugh about how shamelessly the Bengal Fans had stolen the chant.
You got to at least give the Bengals credit..they may not be original..but they certainly have gotten mileage out of the chant.

Yeah, the Who Dey chant didn't exactly originate in Cincinnati, but it's not like New Orleans didn't take it from someone else as well. Either way, the "who dat" chant pretty much died out in New Orleans after the 80's, where as the Bengals "who dey" chant has been much more consistenly prevalent, even despite the horrid years of the 90's.

Anyway, who cares? It's a silly chant.