PDA

View Full Version : Odell Thurman Fails Another Drug Test

CantStop85
06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
LB Thurman faces indefinite suspension after failed drug test
By Jim Trotter, SI.com

NEW YORK -- Former Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman is facing an indefinite suspension after violating the league's substance abuse policy, a source with knowledge of the situation said today.

Thurman, who missed the past two seasons because of suspensions tied to drug and alcohol use, could not be reached for comment.

His agent, Safarrah Lawson, said: "We have not been notified of that at this point. I have no knowledge."

As a second-round draft choice in 2005, Thurman led the Bengals with 148 tackles, four forced fumbles and five interceptions. He was suspended by the league for four games in July 2006 for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The suspension was extended for the rest of the year after Thurman was arrested Sept. 25 for drunk driving. He later admitted in court that he is an alcoholic.

Thurman applied for reinstatement before the 2007 season, but his appeal was denied. Commissioner Roger Goodell lifted the suspension April 21, 2008, but the Bengals waived him last month when he failed to show up for offseason workouts, citing the death of his grandmother.

"His grandmother's been buried for quite a while. Don't get into his whole family structure," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis recently told local reporters. "We've been patient enough with Odell."

Lawson said Thurman has received inquires from other clubs, but postponed a planned visit with an unspecified team because "he's still dealing with some family issues."

The Bengals and the league office could not be reached for immediate comment.

What a waste...glad he's no longer in the Bengals locker room.

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I remember one poster here wanting the Steelers to sign him "for depth" after the Bengals first released him, saying he deserved "another chance." :rolleyes:

Galax Steeler
06-03-2008, 03:53 AM
That dude has some major issues he may not be back for sometime if ever what a waste on a talented player.

The Duke
06-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I remember one poster here wanting the Steelers to sign him "for depth" after the Bengals first released him, saying he deserved "another chance." :rolleyes:

you gotta admit, he'd look great in black and gold for vet minimum :chuckle:

I really think Thurman got his last chance. only a moron would give him a chance with their team ( don't do it Al Davis!)

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2008, 08:06 AM
should we start the "jail watch" for this punk? How long til he gets in trouble with the law and the league isn't there to bail his butt out?

Mosca
06-03-2008, 08:48 AM
It's time to stop thinking of him as a Bengal and start thinking of him as a person who is untethered from society, and who needs to find his way back into the world.

I hope he does so, but I don't think that's going to happen. But I hope he finds the direction, and applies the same determination to righting himself that he used to make it to the NFL. It's 1 out of 1,000,000, but look at what has happened with Josh Hamilton. I hope the same for Thurman.

But if I was casting lots on this man's life, coldly, I'd agree with D5R; jail or the morgue, two years for jail, five for the morgue.

MACH1
06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
He and ricky williams can hang together now and watch the games from the comfort of their couch while enjoying a toke. :smoker::smoker:

stillers4me
06-03-2008, 12:49 PM
It's time to stop thinking of him as a Bengal and start thinking of him as a person who is untethered from society, and who needs to find his way back into the world.

There's a difference?? :chuckle:

Really, this doesn't surprise me at all. I've heard multiple accounts of both Thurman and Chris Henry (someth\imes together) being sighted at various bars here in Cinci throughout their suspensions. They even showed up several times at the well known Steelers bar in town. Im saw Chris Henry there myself the Sunday night of the Broncos game. The staff there said both of them were there a couple of days before that.

St33lersguy
06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
:rofl: What a complete loser. The Bengals actually did the right thing for once by releasing him. :rofl: :rofl: Hilarious!!!!!

Texasteel
06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
The Bengals had a pretty good idea what they were getting when the drafted those two. I refuse to fell sorry for someone that sticks their hand in a bear trap hoping it won't snap shut.

Preacher
06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
The Bengals had a pretty good idea what they were getting when the drafted those two. I refuse to fell sorry for someone that sticks their hand in a bear trap hoping it won't snap shut.

Are you referring to the players or the team?

Because when it comes to addictions, there are SO MANY dynamics involved normally.

Heck, there are times when a person is simply addicted... no matter the substance. It may start with books at 6 years of age, as an escape. That addiction multiplies and transfers to other issues of life, including alcohol, sex, work, drugs, cutting, internet, Steelers Fan Boards (oh wait.. never mind that last one!)

I am all for harsh penalties from the NFL for drug use. I am even for harsh penalties when it comes to the law and drug use. However, I also understand that unless we want to see repeat offenders, we have to see these issues as more than a person simply, "making a choice." It may have started that way for a number of people, but for a number of others, it did not, and furthermore, NONE of them chose addiction... though their actions brought it on.

Texasteel
06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I was referring to the team, but I do think that all to meny times we write off bad behavior to up bringing, depression, or just dosn't know any better. At some point everyone has to take resposablity for his own actions. Its called growing up. The problem is that in the sports world most of these guy have never be asked to. Then they give them 12 millions dollars stand back and watch the disaster.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Thurman needs to go into a rehab facility for his substance abuse.

Working construction to keep in shape for his reinstatment to the NFL couldn't have helped his alcohol abuse problems. So many construction workers drink on the job, much less go to a bar together afterwards. Being in an environment around many people that drink doesn't help.

revefsreleets
06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Ricky Williams? That cat is a fine upstanding citizen compared to OT. I'd lump Thurman in with Maurice Clarret or OJ Simpson at this stage of the game.

Texasteel
06-04-2008, 06:14 PM

Working construction to keep in shape for his reinstatment to the NFL couldn't have helped his alcohol abuse problems. So many construction workers drink on the job, much less go to a bar together afterwards. Being in an environment around many people that drink doesn't help.

yea, you know how us construction worker are with booze and drugs. Heck, I fell off my ladder 4 times last week.:injured:

Steel Buckeye
06-06-2008, 10:42 PM
I want to feel bad for him, but it's just tough. The guy had all of the talent in the world, and just pissed it down the drain. My upbringing wasn't so rosy either, but I worked hard to make something of myself and never made excuses. He could have been one of the best linebackers in the NFL. Sucks to be you Odell. Good luck at Burger King.

43Hitman
06-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Not good ones, or ones with any sort of common sense. Thats a very broad stroke of the brush there. Dontcha think?

As for Odell, its a shame to see him waste his talent. I hope he can get help and recover.

steelwall
06-07-2008, 07:46 PM
The man has to want help...period. Maybe this will push him to want it. It is ashamed, he has wasted away his talent.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I work at a gas station and we have a ton of construction workers that come in and buy a 24 oucne can of beer on their lunch break guys. I'm not trying to generalize every construction worker on the planet, but from my experience...there are a good few, at least around here, that drink on their lunch break (and some at the job site).