PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFLdraftscout.com top 64

Aussie_steeler
06-03-2008, 04:27 AM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2009

Looking at these early pre season projections the one thing that jumps out at me is the distinct lack of steeler type D linemen. Tyson Jackson is the only prototypical 3-4 DE on the list and he will be gone in the top ten. Fili Moala is a possible 3-4 DE candidate that is likely to see his stock climb and be out of reach of the expected pick to come in the late 20's, early 30's.

Looking at this list I can really see a few options in the first 2 rounds that are possibilities to upgrade the D line are Vance Walker, Terrance Taylor, Peria Jerry, Tyson Jackson and Fili Moala.

Please correct me if I am seriously wrong but 5 candidates out of 64 doesnt look too good if the steelers want to address D line in 2009 in the first 2 rounds.

Looking at that list I see real possibilities in the first 2 rounds to pick up an OT, C, FS, ILB or CB more so that D Line. A lucky draft will be needed to score a D line stud.

Once again it looks like the middle rounds of the draft will provide the D line prospects. ( my Kendall Langford for 2009 is Pannel Egboh Stanford)

Texasteel
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I would love Vince Walker in the 1st round. I also like Jeff Owens very much, but I have never seen him listed that high before, I'm thinking 2nd round right now. I think that Greg Middleton could line up at DE for us, but he looks to be a 1st round or early 2nd.

Great call on Pannel Egdoh, he is a kid I plan to watch this year. Another DE you might keep an eye on is Lawrence Wilson, like Egdoh he is in that 280 range and will probably go around the same area.

There are a lot of other players to watch, and I really think that list looks to be a little off on a few player.

I still think that our 1st day picks will be O-line, D-line, or CB, but if we can pick up an extra 3rd and 4th the early 2nd day will be a lot of fun for us.

revefsreleets
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Sleeper alert!

Ryan Bain of Akron, 6'2 305 lbs, transfer from Iowa. He's a bowling ball of a man, but actually not fat, and he's the perfect NT type player. He's going to have a great season this year and will terrorize the MAC. He has two years of eligibility but if he has the season I think he will, he might come out early. You heard it here first.

Texasteel
06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Sleeper alert!

Ryan Bain of Akron, 6'2 305 lbs, transfer from Iowa. He's a bowling ball of a man, but actually not fat, and he's the perfect NT type player. He's going to have a great season this year and will terrorize the MAC. He has two years of eligibility but if he has the season I think he will, he might come out early. You heard it here first.

I wondered where he went. You know why he left Iowa in the 1st place.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2009

Looking at these early pre season projections the one thing that jumps out at me is the distinct lack of steeler type D linemen. Tyson Jackson is the only prototypical 3-4 DE on the list and he will be gone in the top ten. Fili Moala is a possible 3-4 DE candidate that is likely to see his stock climb and be out of reach of the expected pick to come in the late 20's, early 30's.

Looking at this list I can really see a few options in the first 2 rounds that are possibilities to upgrade the D line are Vance Walker, Terrance Taylor, Peria Jerry, Tyson Jackson and Fili Moala.

Please correct me if I am seriously wrong but 5 candidates out of 64 doesnt look too good if the steelers want to address D line in 2009 in the first 2 rounds.

Looking at that list I see real possibilities in the first 2 rounds to pick up an OT, C, FS, ILB or CB more so that D Line. A lucky draft will be needed to score a D line stud.

Once again it looks like the middle rounds of the draft will provide the D line prospects. ( my Kendall Langford for 2009 is Pannel Egboh Stanford)i'm gonna have to disagree here aussie ....... there's a ton of talent that should be able to transition to the 3-4 at DE & NT ........ keep an eye on these guys also

DE
DeMarcus Granger / Oklahoma
Jeff Owens / Georgia
Jeremy Jarmon / Kentucky
George Hypolite / Colorado
Greg Middleton / Indiana
Lawrence Wilson / Ohio State

NT
Vince Oghobaase / Duke
Terrance Taylor / Michigan
Al Woods / LSU

revefsreleets
06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
I wondered where he went. You know why he left Iowa in the 1st place.

Apparently he had a falling out with the coaches, and they moved him down the depth chart without any explanantion. He asked for a transfer and they granted it. The early reports out of Akron's camp was that he was such a disruptive force along the line that the offense was having trouble even getting plays off, and in the Spring game he looked like a man playing against boys. Not to say that UA has the most talented of OL, but they held their own againt OSU last year for a half, and they play some tough OOC games every year, so they know a good DL when they see one.

Aussie_steeler
06-06-2008, 05:26 AM
i'm gonna have to disagree here aussie ....... there's a ton of talent that should be able to transition to the 3-4 at DE & NT ........ keep an eye on these guys also

DE
Jeff Owens / Georgia
Jeremy Jarmon / Kentucky
Greg Middleton / Indiana

NT
Vince Oghobaase / Duke
Al Woods / LSU

Funny you should say that MOP. I thought this post might come back to bite me.

After I made that post I decided to do some research to see what I could find beyond the players on that top 64 list and yes you are right.

The names I found included

Demonte Bolden / Tennesse
El Ash / Houston
Justin Kershaw/ Michigan State
Mark Huygens / Northern Iowa
Ra'shon Harris / Oregon

These players I found were late rounders who could come into calculation with a gain of 20 odd pounds or a big step up in play this season.

Add to this list your players and I feel a little more optimistic.

Rhee Rhee
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
i'm gonna have to disagree here aussie ....... there's a ton of talent that should be able to transition to the 3-4 at DE & NT ........ keep an eye on these guys also

DE
Jeff Owens / Georgia
Jeremy Jarmon / Kentucky
Greg Middleton / Indiana

NT
Vince Oghobaase / Duke
Al Woods / LSU

i hear that terrance taylor is a monster of a man and looks to be a lock for 1st team all big-10...

in addition im not sure about the DE's you have mentioned but i tend to stray away from those superquick 4-3 DT's that try to make the switch...

i have no cold hard facts or anything but imagine trying to plug a sedrick ellis into our system... i don't see it happening because the 3-4 DEs require incredible upper/lower body strength... 4-3 DT's require mainly quickness and an array of passrushing moves to get to the QB which in my mind is useless for a 3-4 DE unless it is an obvious passing situation..

19ward86
06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
It is hard to spot out D-lineman when almost nobody plays the 3-4.

MasterOfPuppets
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
i hear that terrance taylor is a monster of a man and looks to be a lock for 1st team all big-10...

in addition im not sure about the DE's you have mentioned but i tend to stray away from those superquick 4-3 DT's that try to make the switch...

i have no cold hard facts or anything but imagine trying to plug a sedrick ellis into our system... i don't see it happening because the 3-4 DEs require incredible upper/lower body strength... 4-3 DT's require mainly quickness and an array of passrushing moves to get to the QB which in my mind is useless for a 3-4 DE unless it is an obvious passing situation..then where exactly do 3-4 DE's come from ??? is this guy strong enough for ya ??
Jeff Owens, Georgia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 296.
Projected 40 Time: 4.94.
Projected Round: 2.
5/9/08: A quick under tackle with speed who can get to the quarterback. Putting up 525 pounds ain't bad either.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
It is hard to spot out D-lineman when almost nobody plays the 3-4.

That's the truth. Some guys look like they might be able to play the 3-4 style DE/NT but you never truly know.

I have to give credit to the Steelers for sticking with the 3-4 for so long. It's not easy to find defensive linemen to fit the system, and the Steelers have been pretty damn good at doing it.

Texasteel
06-11-2008, 04:38 PM
then where exactly do 3-4 DE's come from ??? is this guy strong enough for ya ??
Jeff Owens, Georgia
5/9/08: A quick under tackle with speed who can get to the quarterback. Putting up 525 pounds ain't bad either.

Owens is a kid I've been pushing for a whill now MOP, I am going to pay close attention to him this up coming year.

I am a little afraid that if he has the year that I think he may, it will force us to take him in the 1st round or move him up out of our reach.

Rhee Rhee
06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
then where exactly do 3-4 DE's come from ??? is this guy strong enough for ya ??
Jeff Owens, Georgia

:laughing: i always invisioned guys that 3-4 DE's are always 6'5 300... Basically Aaron Smith clones...

btw this guy is more than strong enough...

steelwall
06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
:laughing: i always invisioned guys that 3-4 DE's are always 6'5 300... Basically Aaron Smith clones...

btw this guy is more than strong enough...

296. lbs and can run a 4.94.

sounds pretty good to me.......

Elvis
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
There will always be players that come out of nowhere and make a big push to be in the NFL.. so this time of year is just for fun anyway. I think the Steelers are keeping a better eye on these things than we can.
:popcorn:

Galax Steeler
06-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Jeff Owens, Georgia

WOW :jawdrop:

MasterOfPuppets
06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Owens is a kid I've been pushing for a whill now MOP, I am going to pay close attention to him this up coming year.

I am a little afraid that if he has the year that I think he may, it will force us to take him in the 1st round or move him up out of our reach. even just a half descent year and if he runs under a 5.0 forty, will probably get him in the 1st.

keep an eye on this guy from duke.( I HATE DUKE) he could be a richard seymour clone (about the same size) he could be a backup at DE or NT,........

Vince Oghobaase*, Duke
Height: 6-6. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.11.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2.
5/9/08: Vince Oghobaase is more than just 310 pounds of fat sitting in the middle of the defensive line. His body fat percentage low and thus he's more than a simple huge run-stuffer.

Texasteel
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
He's on my watch list MOP, but I think more as a NT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I've been hoping that we take a good look at Alex Mack. With all the $$ tied up in Mahan and Hartwig.....I doubt it will happen next year.... :(

MasterOfPuppets
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I've been hoping that we take a good look at Alex Mack. With all the $$ tied up in Mahan and Hartwig.....I doubt it will happen next year.... :(there's always that guy from arkansas.

Texasteel
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I've been hoping that we take a good look at Alex Mack. With all the $$ tied up in Mahan and Hartwig.....I doubt it will happen next year.... :(

If Mahan moves to OG, and Hartwig may not be the long term answer, I could see Mack being a possability.

Right now I don't see Luigs being near what Mack will be. After Luigs I think this position may be the thinest of the class.

millwalldavey
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
even just a half descent year and if he runs under a 5.0 forty, will probably get him in the 1st.

keep an eye on this guy from duke.( I HATE DUKE) he could be a richard seymour clone (about the same size) he could be a backup at DE or NT,........

Vince Oghobaase*, Duke
Height: 6-6. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.11.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2.
5/9/08: Vince Oghobaase is more than just 310 pounds of fat sitting in the middle of the defensive line. His body fat percentage low and thus he's more than a simple huge run-stuffer.

Duke has a football team? I thought they just tried to play basketball!

(LOL... actually my friend played Tight End there in the 90's... )

MasterOfPuppets
06-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Duke has a football team? I thought they just tried to play basketball!

(LOL... actually my friend played Tight End there in the 90's... )astounding isn't it ? they haven't had a winning season in 15 yrs. ( at least i know my terps will get 1 win) even MORE astounding is they have a draft worthy player !!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
If Mahan moves to OG, and Hartwig may not be the long term answer, I could see Mack being a possability.

Right now I don't see Luigs being near what Mack will be. After Luigs I think this position may be the thinest of the class.

By 2009, Mahan will be supplanted by Hartwig, Simmons, Kemo, Stapleton. I can see Mack being selected and playing behind Hartwig for a year or 2 before getting the start.

The only problem is that neither DE or OT was really addressed last draft and after either Smith, Starks or both is gone somebody will need to be drafted or signed in FA.

Alex Mack would anchor the line for another 10 years, but I dont see it happening. Then again, I never thought we would pick Mendenhall with Parker already there.

Texasteel
06-17-2008, 06:05 PM
I think that the OT position is as deep next year as I have seen in a while. We could pick up a kid like Sean Sester of Purdue in the 3rd round. The DE position, I think, will drop off a bit after the 2nd round, but we could grab a kid like DeMarcus Granger of OU, if he can stay out of jail. NT looks to be much deeper to me, and we could get a very good player as far down as the 4th, may be even the 5th, round.

Personally I'm hoping for a DE and a OT in the 1st 2 rounds, Jeff Owens, but I could see Mack as a possability if they think he is the BAP.

Writer reserve right to change his mind at any given time, and for no apperent reason.

MasterOfPuppets
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I think that the OT position is as deep next year as I have seen in a while. We could pick up a kid like Sean Sester of Purdue in the 3rd round. The DE position, I think, will drop off a bit after the 2nd round, but we could grab a kid like DeMarcus Granger of OU, if he can stay out of jail. NT looks to be much deeper to me, and we could get a very good player as far down as the 4th, may be even the 5th, round.

Personally I'm hoping for a DE and a OT in the 1st 2 rounds, Jeff Owens, but I could see Mack as a possability if they think he is the BAP.

Writer reserve right to change his mind at any given time, and for no apperent reason.

NOPE!!! says right there :rulez: anything you type, can and will be used against you....:chuckle:

Aussie_steeler
06-19-2008, 07:14 AM
NOPE!!! says right there :rulez: anything you type, can and will be used against you....:chuckle:

aint that the truth in the war room:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
06-19-2008, 11:10 AM
aint that the truth in the war room:chuckle:

it sure is......some people are still givin LLT the business for pimpin quentin moses like he was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. :sofunny:

Texasteel
06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
People that do this for a living screw this stuff up, I think we can cut our own a little slack.

MasterOfPuppets
06-20-2008, 04:32 PM
People that do this for a living screw this stuff up, I think we can cut our own a little slack. LOL....LLT knows i'm just breakin his balls.......i sure do hope kendal langford pans out though......:sofunny:

Texasteel
06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
LOL....LLT knows i'm just breakin his balls.......i sure do hope kendal langford pans out though......:sofunny:

If he dosn't there will be a lot of us red faced.:footinmou

Aussie_steeler
06-21-2008, 05:16 AM
If Legursky ends up being a starter then we will never hear the end of it from LLT.

If I remember correctly he pimped Legursky more than Langford.

Texasteel
06-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Aussie, I know at one time you mentioned that you have a hard time getting any of the games, and can't keep a close eye on most of these kids.
Is there any one you would like one of us to watch for you?

Seasons Getting Closer.

I was going to say seasons coming, but the last time I said something like that LLT was all over it.

MasterOfPuppets
06-21-2008, 03:09 PM
If Legursky ends up being a starter then we will never hear the end of it from LLT.

If I remember correctly he pimped Legursky more than Langford.if legursky ends up being a quality starter, i'd be more than happy to hear LLT blowin his own horn.:thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
06-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Aussie, I know at one time you mentioned that you have a hard time getting any of the games, and can't keep a close eye on most of these kids.
Is there any one you would like one of us to watch for you?

Seasons Getting Closer.

I was going to say seasons coming, but the last time I said something like that LLT was all over it.

Thanks for the offer. That means a lot to me Texasteel.:drink:

I dont get any College games before bowl season, so I can only read the press clips which can be totally biased.

I would really like to see how Tyson Jackson and the other LSU guys in the D line perform.

Alex Mack will get a lot of press but I would be really keen to see how he handles any side that has one or two giant DT's.

WIth McFadden and Jones gone I am keen to see if Jonathon Luigs and the razorback O line can still churn out huge rushing yards.

Dont tell anyone but my sleeper that I would like to follow this year is Pannel Egboh DE out of Stanford. I am starting to see his stocks rise a bit already.

Cheers

Texasteel
06-22-2008, 04:12 PM
No problem, I was going to watch all the LSU games I could anyway, but the 3 I like most, Woods, Jackson, and Black, probably will not be around when we pick next year, but who knows. Favorite / DT, and Johnson / OG could be interesting players to keep an Ieye on, and Beckwith / LB, could give us a group of LBers that would end up as the best in football.

I totally agree with your opinion of Egboh. He may be next years Langford. I think he could end up as a 2nd round pick and is just what we look for in a DE. By the way just between you and me, I don't think he's a secret any more.

frigbee
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
good deal

MasterOfPuppets
06-29-2008, 09:38 PM

If I remember correctly he pimped Legursky more than Langford.well uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........:uhh: