PDA

View Full Version : Clinton to concede delegate race

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Clinton to concede delegate race
By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton will concede Tuesday night that Barack Obama has the delegates to secure the Democratic nomination, campaign officials said, effectively ending her bid to be the nation's first female president.

Obama is 40 delegates shy of clinching the nomination, but he is widely expected to make up the difference Tuesday with superdelegate support and votes in South Dakota and Montana. Once he reaches the magic number of 2,118, Clinton will acknowledge that he has secured the necessary delegates to be the nominee.

The former first lady will stop short of formally suspending or ending her race in her speech in New York City.

She will pledge to continue to speak out on issues like health care. But for all intents and purposes, the two senior officials said, the campaign is over.

Most campaign staff will be let go and will be paid through June 15, said the officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to divulge her plans.

The advisers said Clinton has made a strategic decision to not formally end her campaign, giving her leverage to negotiate with Obama on various matters including a possible vice presidential nomination for her. She also wants to press him on issues he should focus on in the fall, such as health care.

Universal health care, Clinton's signature issue as first lady in the 1990s, was a point of dispute between Obama and the New York senator during their epic nomination fight.

Clinton was at home in Chappaqua, N.Y., with her husband, former President Clinton, and was placing calls to friends and supporters.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton will concede Tuesday night that Barack Obama has the delegates to secure the Democratic nomination, campaign officials said, effectively ending her bid to be the nation's first female president.

The former first lady will stop short of formally suspending or ending her race in her speech in New York City. Obama is 40 delegates shy of clinching the nomination, but he is widely expected to make up the difference Tuesday with superdelegate support and votes in South Dakota and Montana. Once he reaches the magic number of 2,118, Clinton will acknowledge that he has secured the necessary delegates to be the nominee.

She will pledge to continue to speak out on issues like health care. But for all intents and purposes, the two senior officials said, the campaign is over.

Most campaign staff will be let go and will be paid through June 15, said the officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to divulge her plans.

The advisers said Clinton has made a strategic decision to not formally end her campaign, giving her leverage to negotiate with Obama on various matters including a possible vice presidential nomination for her. She also wants to press him on issues he should focus on in the fall, such as health care.

Universal health care, Clinton's signature issue as first lady in the 1990s, was a point of dispute between Obama and the New York senator during their epic nomination fight.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_el_pr/clinton

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Clinton campaign says she's not conceding
56 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is "absolutely not" planning to concede the campaign to Barack Obama on Tuesday night, Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe told CNN on Tuesday.

"No one has the number to be the nominee of the Democratic party right now," he said.

McAuliffe, asked about an AP report that Clinton will acknowledge Tuesday night after the South Dakota and Montana primaries that Obama has the delegates to clinch the nomination for the November presidential election, replied: "They are 100 percent incorrect."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080603/pl_nm/usa_politics_clinton_mcauliffe_dc

:doh:

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
but is anyone making fun of her they way they did Huckabee? How about a big headline...Its About Time!

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
see, now until a vampire had its head cut off, a stake drive through its heart and its body burned to ashes, I won't believe its dead. Now she isn't going to concede? freaking vampire. Always comes back from the grave to suck the life out of the innocent.

HometownGal
06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/slypuck2/HillaryFlipFlops.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
see, now until a vampire had its head cut off, a stake drive through its heart and its body burned to ashes, I won't believe its dead. Now she isn't going to concede? freaking vampire. Always comes back from the grave to suck the life out of the innocent.

LOL!!!!....:rofl:

fansince'76
06-03-2008, 12:49 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is "absolutely not" planning to concede the campaign to Barack Obama on Tuesday night, Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe told CNN on Tuesday.

More proof that there's one thing, and one thing only, that Hillary, not to mention her husband, care about: themselves. Does she really think dragging this thing out is helping her party's chances at retaking the White House? Moreover, does she really care?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
More proof that there's one thing, and one thing only, that Hillary, not to mention her husband, care about: themselves. Does she really think dragging this thing out is helping her party's chances at retaking the White House? Moreover, does she really care?

Failing to concede..disputing results in states...can anyone say....Al Gore?

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
She's focussing on 2012 now. She'll do everything she can behind the scenes to prevent "her people" from backing Obama and giving the election to McCain so in 4 years she can run against John.

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Vampires often hide themselves amongst the regular folk and pretend to be their friends while at the same time, plotting the village's doom.

MACH1
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Failing to concede..disputing results in states...can anyone say....Al Gore?

Yeah but they both won the popular vote...:blah: :chuckle:

She needs to give it up its over.

stillers4me
06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Have I mentioned that I named my kidney stone that was surgically removed "Hillary"?

That stone was a real bitch.

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Um, I watched her "speech" last night and she didn't concede.

typical vampire action right there. Its like the end of a horror movie when you think the monster is dead and some fool taps it with their foot. Sure enough it rises up again and makes one last grab for the innocent victim.

I witnessed a monster making that last grasp last night.

TroysBadDawg
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Have I mentioned that I named my kidney stone that was surgically removed "Hillary"?

That stone was a real bitch.

Naww she is the hemorrhoid I named Hillary. A real pain in the a$$. Remember she had that piece of crap Bill there too.

Dino 6 Rings
06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
So is it really over? Has she really given up hopes of the 2008 presidential race?

I don't trust vampires, they seem to be down and out then sneak up and bite ya. I have my garlic necklace on just in case. Boy are my co-workers psssed off at me about that too.