PDA

View Full Version : I am going to be in the Pittsburgh area....

UK CANDY BEE
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
...on Friday June 13th !!

Our family reunion is in Masontown WV (a few miles south of Morgantown) on Saturday the 14th, and we try to find something for the family to do on the day before.

Other than Coopers Rock State Park, there isn't much to see in the Morgantown area, so this year, we are visiting an amusement park I heard about in the Pittsburgh area called Kennywood !!

I would appreciate any suggestions you folks might be willing to offer on how to make the most of the day.

Stuff like........the best rides, what NOT to bother with. and just plain helpful advice from those who have been there before.....

THANKS in advance !!

Preacher
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Our family reunion is in Masontown WV (a few miles south of Morgantown) on Saturday the 14th, and we try to find something for the family to do on the day before.

Other than Coopers Rock State Park, there isn't much to see in the Morgantown area, so this year, we are visiting an amusement park I heard about in the Pittsburgh area called Kennywood !!

I would appreciate any suggestions you folks might be willing to offer on how to make the most of the day.

Stuff like........the best rides, what NOT to bother with. and just plain helpful advice from those who have been there before.....

THANKS in advance !!

Stop by Heinz field and take the tour, that way you actually get to see the Lombardi trophy (ies). :rofl:

Seriously, Downtown Pittsburgh is beautiful. I never got a chance to go to carnegie center.. but I hear there is a lot... also the Holocaust museum. WHile it may bring down the trip a bit, it is probably worth seeing (we didn't get a chance to do that either).

stillers4me
06-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Go up to Mt. Washington for the best view of the city........ it's breathtaking. (although I loved Preacher's suggestion! :sofunny:)

tony hipchest
06-03-2008, 09:30 PM

THANKS in advance !!

kennywood is a great little park,

ride these often:

phantoms revenge- the parks grandest roller coaster (doesnt compare to what you find at cedar point or 6 flags but still a hell of a ride) when you ride it so much during the day try it at night with your shades on for a new experience.

thunderbolt- every coaster enthusiast MUST ride this atleast 5 times in 1 day. for the longest time, this was the fastest wooden coaster in the world, topping out at almost 70 mph. nothing compared to the modern coasters but it is the pure, old school, clackety clack, experince any coaster enthusiast trully appreciates.

dont miss these-

jackrabbit- classic wooden coaster that has 1 hellacious hill that seems to leave you airborne and weightless for over a second. everytime i ride it i swear im gonna fly out of my seat and die. however this is the 1 coaster that allows the smallest kids to ride. i suckered my 4 year old little girl to ride. it scared the crap out of her but she still talks about it a year later.

logjammer- sit in a log and ride this water coaster. get a nice splash at the end. learn to distribute the weight in the log and soak your younger nieces and nepherw. great fun.

noahs ark- its like the oldest funhouse still in operation. this thing is about 100 years old and has gone through numerous upgrades and rennovations, but is still just as fun as an adult as it was as a kid.

cosmo (???)- this is one of the newest rides and 1 i have never seen before but it is one hell of a rush and fun non-coaster ride. if you like spinning and swinging this is the ride for you. it has an alien related name. you cant miss it.

train ride- take time to ride the train. some of the most superb elevated views of the monongahelia river. its really quite breathtaking. im a bit dissapointed i skipped this one on my last visit to ride all the "big kid" rides.

beware:

pittsburgh plunge and the rapids are both great water rides but you get completely soaked. dont carry cigs or a cellphone. if you dont bring a change of clothes, and plan to walk around all day prepare for chaffed balls. (sorry, im from the desert and not used to walking around all day, soaking wet, in 90% humidity.

garfields revenge was much better as the tunnel of love.

all the "drive the car" rides are old school, peaceful cruising rides that kids definitely enjoy because they are behind the wheel.

the racer is an old wooden coaster that is very fun but nothing like the modern rides at cedar point. coaster purists will still love it though. a unique ride where you race the coaster right next to you.

exterminator- a bit gimmicky, but still a fun ride. nothing too special or heart stopping.

skycoaster- expensive and not too unique, but one hell of a ride if youve never done it before.

pittfall- raise up 6-8 stories and feel the drop. this ride isnt too unique but the view you get from the top is amazing. not unique but definitely a ride to do atleast once, if youve never done it before. again, the views from this and the train, make it all worthwhile.

i went to kennywood.com, last year before my visit to check out all the newest rides, and it is a pretty comprehensive site to get you a "gameplan" together. :thumbsup:

BettisFan
06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Jackrabbit is the best its been here for ever!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEyJjAAPy38

Go to Pants N' at.

In all seriousness, go to the nearest Quaker Steak and lube..I LOVE the won over in cranberry/butler :)

Also, whatever the heck pannini's ripped off of you guys. :)

UK CANDY BEE
06-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Sounds great Tony.........that is just the kind of info I was looking for !!

GBMelBlount
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Go up to Mt. Washington for the best view of the city........ it's breathtaking.

I agree. There are some terrific restaurants up there as well.

PisnNapalm
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Stop in at Primanti Brothers (http://www.primantibrothers.com/) on the Strip for a sammich. Buy some Pickburgh stuff while you're dahn 'ere too.

Go to Point State Park and Station Square.

Enjoy it!

tony hipchest
06-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Sounds great Tony.........that is just the kind of info I was looking for !!i love going to the parks but unfortunately am far away and havent gone to many. but other than amazing (and now outdated) rides such as batmann II, jokers revenge, and superman at 6 flags/magic mountain in california, i would compare that overall park experience to that of kennywood.

like i said, the old school, nostalgic feel helps make up for the lack of dozens of ultra modern rides and the food and arcade games are on level with any other park.

oh, and word to the wise.... try a polish sausage at one of the concession stands slathered w/ onions, bells, and tomato's. :drink:

gotta get a funnel cake too!

Galax Steeler
06-04-2008, 04:45 AM
I like the pitfall it is one hell of a ride.

stlrtruck
06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Seriously go to Bettis' Grille adjacent to the southeast corner of the stadium on the rivers - and order the 36oz steak (share it - trust me). Every bite is like butter and it will feed a family of 4 (if not more).

TroysBadDawg
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Seriously go to Bettis' Grille adjacent to the southeast corner of the stadium on the rivers - and order the 36oz steak (share it - trust me). Every bite is like butter and it will feed a family of 4 (if not more).

Didn't a Bettis grill just close?

revefsreleets
06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Wear your Browns garb to Kennywood. People will feel sorry for you and let you skip ahead in line, just like you were a little retarded kid or something.

stlrtruck
06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Didn't a Bettis grill just close?

When I was there this past weekend, although I didn't get to go in, there were plenty of people on the deck being served.

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Why doesn't it shock me that a Browns fan would infiltrate our beautiful city on a Friday the 13th? :chuckle::wink02:

You'll love Kennywood Park! All of the rides mentioned in a prior post are great, but the coasters are awesome! :thumbsup: You have to stop by the Potato Patch (which is near The Turtle) and get some of those scrumptuous fresh cut fries with the skins on 'em and your choice of toppings. I get mine with BBQ salt and cheddar cheese - YUM! No one but no one makes fries like the Potato Patch! The skycoaster is a blast if you don't mind leaving your stomach somewhere in between the start of the ride and the finish. :laughing: I was one of the first to ride the skycoaster when it first made its appearance at Kennywood and I did it on a dare to get over my fear of heights. For the record - it didn't work - LOL!

The Jackrabbit is one of the oldest wooden coasters in the world and it's an awesome ride with its double dip. You'll come up out of your seat, but that's part of the fun! Hope you have a great time there! :drink:

If you are going to take a trip up to Mt. Washington, be sure to take a ride on the incline down to Station Square. Lots of nifty bars and restaurants in Station Square and some great little shops! Here's a link re: the Duquense Incline:

http://incline.pghfree.net/

Enjoy your trip to the Burgh and be safe in your travels! :drink:

Preacher
06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
If you are going to be in the burgh on Saturday... you HAVE to go to the strip district... but go with an empty stomach...

The food is unbelievable...

tony hipchest
06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
If you are going to be in the burgh on Saturday... you HAVE to go to the strip district... but go with an empty stomach...

The food is unbelievable...i think i gotta disagree. if you go to pittsburgh for just one day (and are a non pitt sportsfan)i'd say there are 2 things you HAVE to do.

go to kennywood or go to the museum. i can eat anywhere, but i can only ride the "thunderbolt" in 1 place.

and the foods not bad there either. there may be no better meal than a polish sausage, the cheezy homefries HTG pointed out, a fresh lemonade, cherry sno cone, and funnelcake for desert. :yummy: (i may be lucky, the rides dont make me queasy). :puke:

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Wear your Browns garb to Kennywood. People will feel sorry for you and let you skip ahead in line, just like you were a little retarded kid or something.
:rofl:

UK CANDY BEE
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Wear your Browns garb to Kennywood.

Oh, you can count on THAT !!

UK CANDY BEE
06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Actually, I appreciate all the other suggestions of places to see and things to do, but it has always been my experience that you gotta get to an amusement park early and stay basically all day to get your money's worth !!

From the great descriptions you all gave, I am assuming Kennywood is no exception to that rule !!

I know a Browns fan who lives in Pittsburgh (yeah, there are some....imagine that ??) who is hooking me up with some discount tickets for my family......about $22 each. That's not bad IMO, unless perhaps one of you folks know of an even better deal !!

The gas expense alone on this trip is gonna be brutal, so any bucks I can save elsewhere, I am all over it !!

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
[That's not bad IMO, unless perhaps one of you folks know of an even better deal !![/B][/COLOR]

[]
pssst......:couch: ......i gotta a guy on the inside ......:nervous: .....he'll meet you at the South West gate at nine o'clock sharp....don't be late !!! he'll let you in for 5 bucks a head.....just give him the password......BROWNS SUCK !!! ........:rofl:

UK CANDY BEE
06-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Hmmm........thanks, but no thanks !!!