PDA

View Full Version : Patriot arrested, then aids drug sting

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Patriot arrested, then aids drug sting
Kacz By John R. Ellement and Shelley Murphy
Globe Staff / June 4, 2008

Starting New England Patriots offensive lineman Nicholas Kaczur was arrested in April on a charge of illegal possession of prescription painkillers and then secretly cooperated with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration in a sting operation that resulted in the indictment of his alleged drug supplier, according to a lawyer and two people briefed on the investigation.

Kaczur - a 28-year-old, 315-pound offensive tackle - wore a hidden recording device during three different drug transactions in May at gas stations in Foxborough and North Attleborough and a supermarket parking lot in Sharon, according to the lawyer, the two people, and federal court documents. At each of the three transactions, Kaczur paid $3,900 in cash to buy 100 OxyContin pills, a potent prescription pain reliever.

Federal agents arrested the alleged dealer, Daniel Ekasala, moments after the third transaction with Kaczur, said Ekasala's lawyer. He was indicted by a federal grand jury yesterday on three counts of possession of oxycodone (the main ingredient in the prescription drug OxyContin) with intent to distribute. He is due to be arraigned today in federal court.

Kaczur, approached yesterday afternoon by a Globe reporter as he stood on the front porch of his Attleboro home, denied participating in a DEA investigation or buying drugs. He also said he was not familiar with Ekasala.

"I don't know what you're talking about, bro," Kaczur said repeatedly, in response to questions about the investigation. "I don't know where this is coming from. I don't know what you are talking about."

When asked if he was still playing for the Patriots, Kaczur, whose salary is listed at just under than $1.4 million this year, said, "Yeah."

The sting operation is detailed in a six-page affidavit filed by a DEA special agent in US District Court in Boston. That document makes constant reference to an unnamed cooperating witness, a buyer who was reaching out to the alleged dealer by text message, then meeting with the dealer to exchange cash for drugs.

After Ekasala was indicted yesterday morning, Ekasala's lawyer, Bernard Grossberg of Boston, acknowledged that Kaczur was the cooperating witness in the case. Two other people briefed on the investigation, speaking on the condition of anonymity, also verified that Kaczur was the cooperating witness in the DEA's case. If the case proceeds to trial, Kaczur would probably be required to testify.

Ekasala, Grossberg said yesterday, has himself been asked to cooperate by federal agents, but he has repeatedly rejected their proposal. "He is not cooperating," Grossberg said.

The attorney added that Ekasala was "an extremely reluctant participant and was somewhat enamored of being friendly with or having contact with a professional athlete."

Grossberg said that, according to DEA documents presented to him before the indictment, Kaczur said he had begun buying OxyContin in November 2007 and purchased 100 pills every few days, paying tens of thousands of dollars over time

"My client was always sympathetic to Mr. Kaczur and suggested to him many times, as the text messages will show, that Kaczur ought not to be doing what he was doing," Grossberg said. "Professional athletes in this country are treated like royalty, and royalty sometimes abuses the people they come in contact with, and I think that's what happened to Ekasala."

more stories like thisKaczur's previously unreported arrest on drug possession charges, and his role in a DEA investigation, will mark the latest controversy to be faced by the New England Patriots, who suffered an upset defeat in Super Bowl XLII this year, ruining the team's bid for a perfect and unprecedented 19-0 record. The team was penalized at the beginning of the 2007 season for illegally taping hand signals of opponents' defensive coaches. In addition, defensive star Rodney Harrison was suspended for four games during the season for using human growth hormone.

A Patriots spokesman, Stacey James, declined to comment on Kaczur yesterday, saying, "We're deferring all questions on this matter to the appropriate law enforcement officials." His brief remark left it unclear whether the Patriots were aware of Kaczur's arrest and his role in a federal drug case.

He said Kaczur remains a member of the team.

The Patriots added another offensive lineman to the team Monday, free agent Oliver Ross, who is expected to play right tackle, Kaczur's position.

Vance Malinovic, Kaczur's agent, said last night that he was not prepared to talk about Kaczur's situation. "Right now, I have no comment," he said.

An NFL spokesman, Greg Aiello, said last night that misusing prescription drugs is a violation of the league's substance-abuse policies and that players face escalating sanctions for repeated violations.

Aiello declined to speak directly to the case involving Kaczur. "It's a law enforcement matter, and any questions should be directed to the appropriate law enforcement agencies," he said.

Assistant US Attorney Brian T. Kelly declined to comment yesterday on the investigation or Kaczur's role as a cooperating witness, but reacted to Grossberg's suggestion that Kaczur's star power pulled a reluctant Ekasala into the drug business.

"The crazy fan defense doesn't seem real plausible, but it will be up to a jury to decide," Kelly said.

Kaczur, who was drafted by the Patriots in the third round in 2005 and started 15 games last year, began cooperating shortly after he was arrested the morning of April 27 in New York by State Police who stopped him for speeding and found a small amount of oxycodone in his car, authorities said.

Kaczur was driving 76 miles an hour in a 65-mile-per-hour zone on the New York State Thruway in Whitestown when police pulled him over and discovered a "small amount of controlled substance for which he did not have a prescription," according to New York State Police Sergeant Kern Swoboda. The trooper identified the substance as oxycodone and said Kaczur was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, which is a misdemeanor.

According to the records filed in federal court, the first transaction that the DEA orchestrated between Kaczur and Ekasala occurred May 1. It was for 100 OxyContin pills, at a cost of $3,900. That was followed by another transaction on May 6 for the same number of pills and then the final one on May 13.

Unbeknownst to Ekasala, the affidavits said, Kaczur was wearing a recording device, and their words and movements were monitored by DEA agents.

Kaczur has told authorities that he had been buying oxycodone from Ekasala every few days in batches of a hundred since November 2007, the middle of the Patriots season, according to Grossberg, who said that information is contained in DEA reports. That time frame would include the Patriots' playoff run and their 2008 Super Bowl appearance.

But, Grossberg accused Kaczur of "puffery," insisting he was inflating the amount of drugs he bought to make it seem as if he had more to offer authorities and get himself out of any legal trouble. Grossberg described his client as a young, middle-class father of twins.

Kaczur - a native of Brantford, Ontario - worked construction for two years after high school and in 2001 earned a scholarship to the University of Toledo, where he became the first four-time, All-Mid American Conference player in school history.

Dr. Alex Stalcup, a Lafayette, Calif., doctor who says he is treating current and former NFL players for chronic pain issues, said that using powerful pain-killers can help players get through one more Sunday, but at a terrible risk to themselves and their futures.

"If your pain is so great you just can't move your muscles and you're just absolutely in agony and you have to play today, you can take an opiate that will prevent the pain." he said in a phone interview. ". . . But you will pay a high price for it."
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/06/04/patriot_arrested_then_aids_drug_sting/

rbryan
06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Sounds like he was supplying half the team if he was buying that much.

"I don't know what you're talking about bro, I don't know where this is coming from"

Yeah this guy plays for the patsies alright...Billy Boy would be proud of that answer.

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Funny, he has no idea what anyone is talking about but the Pats signed Oliver Ross to the roster on Monday. Gee, think a supsension is coming down for their starting o-lineman. I mean, just cause you helped the DEA doesn't mean you didn't violate the NFL substance abuse policy to begin with. I smell a 4 game suspension coming.

fansince'76
06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Sounds like he was supplying half the team if he was buying that much.

"I don't know what you're talking about bro, I don't know where this is coming from"

Yeah this guy plays for the patsies alright...Billy Boy would be proud of that answer.

"What? It's illegal? I must've misinterpreted that."

rbryan
06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Isn't oxycontin prescibed to recovering junkies as a way to ween them off heroin?

Since the Feds already have him on the griddle how about a few questions about spygate. He's rolling over on everyone else.

Reminds me of the line in Goodfellas: "Whatever you do keep your mouth shut and NEVER rat on your friends".....lol

RoethlisBURGHer
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
What to do when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar? Just snitch, it'll get you out of trouble with the law!

I alss love his backtracking, saying he never did any type of sting with the DEA. It's too late, there isn't a pill dealer in New England that's going to sell to you now. Have fun trying to keep your habit up.

tony hipchest
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
knowing kraft, he will just fine nick, and then reward him with a nice contract extension.

im even more glad the patriots didnt draft a player like G branden albert.

anyways its the methodone that is used to ween the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityf ilter off the horse.

oxycontin aka "hillbilly heroin" is basically perscription heroin in a time released pill form. if crushed up it delivers immediate and powerful effects. some people inject it, and from what i understand the effects are pretty much exact to shooting hey ron

fansince'76
06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Anybody started an over/under thread for how long it will take the Pats* hype machine to jump on this story and spin it to try and make this junkie look like a hero for "aiding" the Feds (more like becoming a snitch to keep his own ass out of a sling)? :rolleyes:

DACEB
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Anybody started an over/under thread for how long it will take the Pats* hype machine to jump on this story and spin it to try and make this junkie look like a hero for "aiding" the Feds (more like becoming a snitch to keep his own ass out of a sling)? :rolleyes:

It's already begun, I've been hearing all day what a 'patriot' this guy is.

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Pats board has a poll up "will the media be fair and treat him like a hero" or "will the reporting remained slanted against the Patriots"

something like that...a few Pats fans said "wtf, the guy is a junkie, no hero"

fansince'76
06-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Pats board has a poll up "will the media be fair and treat him like a hero" or "will the reporting remained slanted against the Patriots"

something like that...a few Pats fans said "wtf, the guy is a junkie, no hero"

Yeah, I went over there and looked - the delusional RW&B Kool-Aid chugging jackasses are comparing him to Brett Favre. Yep, identical situations - Favre comes out and admits he's addicted to painkillers of his own accord and enters the NFL's substance abuse program of his own accord. This asshat squeals on his connection because he got nailed by the authorities. Yep, how could anyone reasonably view the two situations any differently? :rolleyes: :coffee:

Preacher
06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I usually tend to have a bit more sympathy for those who are addicted to pain meds, depending on their situation.

Brett Favre, Rush Limbaugh, etc. who get addicted because of legitimate pain issues is just a sad case.

If that is the case for this guy... that he got addicted out of pain problems... well, go to rehab, get straightened out, and God bless.

Though out of all three mentioned, Favre is the only on one that deserves PRAISE for facing his addiction WITHOUT being caught.

dragtruk
06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha!:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: Kaczur from the Pats gets caught buying almost $12,000 worth of Oxycontin and what does the rat do???? Turns snitch on his dealer to save his own ass. Man that is sooooo typical of Boston. He must have learned that in Massachusetts. Bwah-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah dude, don't take your punishment like a man, go sissy tattletale. These A-holes up here pride themselves on the whole mob thing and keeping their mouths shut, but nobody ever does. As soon as the heat's on, the birds start singing. :applaudit: Congrats to the Pats crumbling dynasty.:hatsoff:

Texasteel
06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE= Congrats to the Pats crumbling dynasty.:hatsoff:[/QUOTE]

What dynasty?

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
NARK !!! sometimes bad things happen to snitches ....:bash: ....:tombstone...
he better hope this guy ain't connected....:shake01:

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
anyways its the methodone that is used to ween the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityf ilter off the horse.

oxycontin aka "hillbilly heroin" is basically perscription heroin in a time released pill form. if crushed up it delivers immediate and powerful effects. some people inject it, and from what i understand the effects are pretty much exact to shooting hey ron
sure do seem to know a lot about dope hipchest .......:wtf:

Preacher
06-04-2008, 09:22 PM

:chuckle:

I was wondering the same thing!

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM

I was wondering the same thing! well preach....i guess it would explain about 12,000 of his posts ......:hunch:

SteelersMongol
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Starting New England Patriots offensive lineman Nicholas Kaczur was arrested in April on a charge of illegal possession of prescription painkillers and then secretly cooperated with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration in a sting operation that resulted in the indictment of his alleged drug supplier, according to a lawyer and two people briefed on the investigation...

So is it going to make him an honest person or a traitor?

Preacher
06-05-2008, 01:28 AM
well preach....i guess it would explain about 12,000 of his posts ......:hunch:

Just 12,000? :rofl:

dragtruk
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
oxycontin aka "hillbilly heroin" is basically perscription heroin in a time released pill form. if crushed up it delivers immediate and powerful effects. some people inject it, and from what i understand the effects are pretty much exact to shooting hey ron[/QUOTE]

Tony is right. I live and work in oxytown USA- a.k.a. Boston. I know many guys at work who have blown their entire retirement annuities on the stuff. The job steward on my job went through $42,000 in six months. From what I understand, once you get in the grips, it's almost impossible to get out of. The government will surely ban it's production just like they did with quaaludes way back when. Evil stuff, even if you use it the right way.

Preacher
06-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Tony is right. I live and work in oxytown USA- a.k.a. Boston. I know many guys at work who have blown their entire retirement annuities on the stuff. The job steward on my job went through $42,000 in six months. From what I understand, once you get in the grips, it's almost impossible to get out of. The government will surely ban it's production just like they did with quaaludes way back when. Evil stuff, even if you use it the right way.[/quote]

When I had my knee surgery, they gave me that crap. I took one the night of the operation... and never took another. Those things are way to strong... and i hate feeling like I have no control of my reality.

I just dealt with the pain... took some tylenol, and through the rest out a few months later.

You're right. Evil stuff.

I think it should be kept legal for IN-HOUSE USE in hospitals. But not to be taken home.

tony hipchest
06-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Bostocontin Oxychusettes :chuckle:

if used and not abused it is almost a miracle drug. there are many people who will always need oxycodone, tylenol 3, or percocets just to make it through the day. the benefits of oxycontin is that you take much less and dont get the long term liver damage.

tony hipchest
06-05-2008, 08:27 PM

:toofunny:

i dont know if this is the proper verbage or appropriate slang, but ive "crunched a few oxies/hitched my yoke to oxen to plow the field" :noidea: (probably not, i just made it up in a speedball induced stupor:rolleyes: )

unfortunately i lost my coolest uncle to an oxy/scotch od. he was the black sheep of the family and known to party. he also was in chronic pain, going through a divorce, and had a legal prescription for oxy. anyways, he hooked me up with a few 10mgs (whiteys?) when i last saw him, for my plane ride home. he said to just take one and chew it up to get profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltered up. we laughed.

with 3 hours of sleep and a 6 am flight i crunched one and had a bloody mary. for the first time, i was able to sleep on a flight. i was out and used the other ones recreationally at a later date.

but i tell you what, somebody hooked me up with 4 of the pink 20's a about 6-7 years ago, and i still got 2 of em in a pill jar.

i crunched one and drank a brew or 2 and i was freaking wasted and floating (and felt like i might puke). :tt03:

i would never shoot anything in my arm but i felt like i was on the high you see heroin junkies on, on tv. and i laughed.

i was like "whoa, this shit is intense." (which is why i still have 2 that i may or may not only use for an emergency pain management situation).

anyways, last i read, the street value of the shit was $1 a milligram which means the whiteys were $10 and the pinkies $20. oxicontin is manufactured in up to 160 mg pills. :jawdrop:

i got a root canal in mexico about 5 years ago. i went into a physicians office and told him i needed a script for oxy. (i consider a root canal an emergency pain management situation) he asked why, and i told him i was getting a root canal and needed it for the pain. he looked at me as if i were a smuggler/dealer, and wrote me the script for the $15 office visit. all 5 of the pharmacies in the small boardertown were out, although one of the clerks hooked me up with a 20 wrapped in cig cellophane and told me the towns pharmaceutical deliveries wouldnt be til monday. the physician was kind enough to write me a script for tylenol 3 free of charge when i explained the whole town was out. :applaudit:

so kids.... the moral of the story is dont do drugs. that shit'll fuk u up. :drink: :smoker:

:sofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
A local radio personality here in Cleveland (Maxwell on 100.7 WMMS in the afternoon) was addicted to Oxy.

I also knew someone who was addicted to it. It wrecked his entire life...caused him to blow his life's savings on the stuff, caused him a divorce and his kids, caused him his job. Finally, he ended up in detox and he's now clean. But his ex-wife and kids hate him. I really feel bad for the guy.

So please, to everyone out there...stay away from this stuff, it's really bad news.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM
The House of Tape that Bill built now turns out to be a rat ship too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3496481

Nick Kaczur gets collared with a few - okay a few too many -painkillers and what does he do? Does he take the honorable path and hire a great lawyer to have the bribes errr charges dropped?

NO. In a classic Bill Belichickie style he turns into a BIG FAT RAT. :sign11:

Steelman16
07-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Truly the Great Patriots are on the fast track to Bunglehood. :chuckle:

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Oxycontin is messed up. As Tony has said, it's basically legal heroin/morphine. I live in Indiana, and painkillers in general are a huge problem.

Problem around here at least is one of economics, it makes sense...you can buy 10/7.5 mg worth of vicodin for $6/$5 a pill in Southern Indiana and still not be completely booted, or $10 worth of Oxycontin and be lights out for the night. When a community is already hurting from the present economy, it's a good time to be a dealer for this sort of thing. It's awful, but my brother and many of my friends from HS were/are into it to the point they'll immediately ask you for $20 and have no shame about it. Painkillers are a huge problem everywhere anymore, but it's just depressing how prevalent it is in the Midwest.

Thank god for influential teachers and sports or I'd probably be with them and not 2 years away from a bachelors in Informatics :thumbsup: Easy to dismiss Kaczur as a worthless junky, and as someone who has walked away from that when I was broke, 20 miles from anything, and in that scene anyways, I have little patience for someone who has the money and resources this guy does and doesn't seek help. Still, it's a very entangling thing that can be hard to step away from. I hope Kaczur takes it serious and realizes it's time to get a hold of his life.

As a Steelers fan though, F that Pats :tt02:

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-21-2008, 06:15 AM

I'm wondering if we'll go a week without hearing a Patriot or Bengal involved in some dubious activity :flap:

Galax Steeler
07-21-2008, 07:40 AM

They will be ranked right up there with the bungholes before long.

tony hipchest
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Patriots Pill Popper Gets "Free Pass" Punishment

pathetic. as part of a plea deal, the punk narc's punishments consists of a $355 fine and probation for 6 months. appearantly if he keeps his nose (and tom bradys private parts) clean during this time his record will be cleared, and he will be free to use and narc again.

funny how pattycakes can spin this guy into being a hero and steve walsh into a villan for doing the same thing.... being a snitch.

rbryan
07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Just a matter of time before Kraft rewards him with a new contract for being such a stand up guy. I wonder who he was getting all those pills for?? You think he was getting them for himself and a few team mates or is he just a straight up drug dealer??

tony hipchest
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I wonder who he was getting all those pills for?? You think he was getting them for himself and a few team mates or is he just a straight up drug dealer??i dont see how tom brady can get over that chronic shoulder injury, and suit up to play so well every single weekend, without the assistance of hgharrison and quick nick.

billybob
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Isn't oxycontin prescibed to recovering junkies as a way to ween them off heroin?

Since the Feds already have him on the griddle how about a few questions about spygate. He's rolling over on everyone else.

Reminds me of the line in Goodfellas: "Whatever you do keep your mouth shut and NEVER rat on your friends".....lol

I got it one time for a root canal from my dentist.