PDA

View Full Version : Yancey Thigpen - Forgotten Player of the Day (6/5/08)

kmccwu
06-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Yancey Thigpen is the Random Forgotten Player of the Day at http://www.rfpoftheday.com :applaudit:

stlrtruck
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Don't get fancy, just throw it to YANCEY!!!

NJarhead
06-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Loved Yancy. Still have his jersey.

kmccwu
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
What do you guys think about the Nate Washington-Yancey Thigpen comparison? Both from small schools, similar size, etc.

Rotorhead
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Um they aren't . . . Yancey could catch, Nate not so much lol (only joking)

eucalyptus
06-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Great read!

kmccwu
06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Um they aren't . . . Yancey could catch, Nate not so much lol (only joking)

Gotta love those receivers who can't catch! Of course, Yancey was on the sidelines with injuries all the time, so his hands weren't always useful either.

tony hipchest
06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Um they aren't . . . Yancey could catch, Nate not so much lol (only joking)i always liked yancy and would definitely still sport his jersey if i had one. however my most memorable memory of him was dropping the most catchable pass, wide open, in the end zone, in green bay, in the final game of the '95 regular season. the catch woulda won the game in the final minutes and had us on like a 10 game winning streak going into the playoffs.

didnt matter though, we didnt lose any seeding and still faced off against dallas in sb XXX. however that was when favre was having mvp seasons and it woulda been really nice to beat them. it was a great game that we shoulda won. :dang:

Elvis
06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
:doh: The only thing that I have against Yancy was that I think in the Super Bowl against the Cowboys, it seems like it would have been a TD and he dropped it!
I will Never forget that one!!
:banging:

Steel Pit
06-06-2008, 01:37 AM
:doh: The only thing that I have against Yancy was that I think in the Super Bowl against the Cowboys, it seems like it would have been a TD and he dropped it!
I will Never forget that one!!
:banging:

I don't remember him dropping any potential touchdowns in SB XXX. I do know that he CAUGHT a touchdown pass even with Deion Sanders shoving him to the ground. Pass interference was clearly evident and the play was flagged but declined by the Steelers.

I was always a Yancy Thigpen fan. The dude played WR as it was meant to be played. Neil O'Donnell and his wild passes over the middle nearly got Yancy's head taken off more than once but he never coward.

Galax Steeler
06-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Yancy was a hit and miss in my opinion he never was consistant in a game.

Steel Pit
06-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Yancy was a hit and miss in my opinion he never was consistant in a game.

Yeah, I guess his Pro Bowl appearances in 1995 and 1997 are evidence of that.

Granted, injuries hampered a few seasons for him and he didn't bring his A game every week but overall he was definitely worth having. :tt02::tt03::tt:

BlastFurnace
06-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Yancey was a good receiver for us when he was here. Tennessee players recruited him at the Pro Bowl and when FA began, they offered him a contract that the Steelers couldn't match at that time. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise since his injuries really started piling up after he left us.

I would take a Yancey Thigpen on my team any day.

fansince'76
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I guess his Pro Bowl appearances in 1995 and 1997 are evidence of that.

Granted, injuries hampered a few seasons for him and he didn't bring his A game every week but overall he was definitely worth having. :tt02::tt03::tt:

Not to mention who he had throwing to him. Thigpen would probably be Pro Bowl-bound on an annual basis if he played for us now.

Dino 6 Rings
06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Um...I'm pretty sure, in SB XXX, Yancy dropped a pass on the play prior to the 2nd interception that cost us the game. Had Yancy caught that ball on 1st down, Neil maybe never throws the 2nd pick. Just saying, I still blame Neil for blowing the game, but Yancy, did have a key drop.

Not that I'm bitter about that game.

NV STEELERS 723
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Yancey was a good WR...but he did the free agent thing. What ever happen to stayin w/ 1 team .....lol...

Steel Pit
06-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Um...I'm pretty sure, in SB XXX, Yancy dropped a pass on the play prior to the 2nd interception that cost us the game. Had Yancy caught that ball on 1st down, Neil maybe never throws the 2nd pick. Just saying, I still blame Neil for blowing the game, but Yancy, did have a key drop.

Not that I'm bitter about that game.

I didn't say that Yancy didn't drop a pass in Super Bowl XXX. I replied to a member who stated that Yancy dropped what would seem to be a touchdown. I don't believe that Yancy's dropped pass appeared to be a potential touchdown if he would have held on to it.

But right on Bro, O.D. blew that game with his INT's. I can still hear the remarks of Phil Simms after the 1st interception and I quote, "Neil ODonnell panicked in the pocket, he thought that he was going to get hit". That just about sums it up. O.D. was a freaking coward under pressure.