PDA

View Full Version : Now that the season is over...

Pages : 1 [2]

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Kristian Huselius signed with Columbus with a four year 4.75 million dollar contract. i thought we could of bested that. oh well maybe shero still has a few tricks waiting

X-Terminator
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Beaten to it...

X-Terminator
07-02-2008, 08:52 PM
i cant believe the red wings signed hossa... a friend of mine called me today and told me and i was like no you are joking.

:yawn: :coffee:

Yeah yeah, yuk it up Wings fans. When your season ends without a Stanley Cup, we'll see who is laughing last.

Anyway, with Huselius gone, the pickings get even slimmer. I don't know what the hell Shero is waiting on, but I really don't want the Pens to go into next season with Tyler Kennedy as a top 6 forward.

X-Terminator
07-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Some more good news - Fleury's new contract is all but done! :thumbsup: Glad to see they didn't waste any time and allow it to go to an arbitration hearing. Also, they apparently are not done signing players, and that a few key slots should be filled very soon. I sure hope so, because it's getting a little disconcerting seeing other teams improve while we haven't done much outside of retaining our own talent.

Fleury's deal all but done

Hossa takes 1-year deal from Red Wings and runs; Ruutu goes to Ottawa, but Orpik stays put and Markus Naslund in mix to fill Hossa's spot

Thursday, July 03, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ray Shero is in the market for a No. 1 right winger.

A couple of other top-six forwards, too. Along with a few guys who have some grit -- and perhaps even a little malice aforethought -- to labor on the Penguins' third and fourth lines.

But he won't have to go looking for a No. 1 goalie because the framework of a contract that will keep Marc-Andre Fleury in that role for years is largely in place.

While a few issues -- like whether the deal will cover five or six seasons -- still must be resolved, all major hurdles to an agreement have been cleared.

"I'm hopeful that in the next couple of days, something will work out there," said Shero, the Penguins' general manager.

Even though tying up the loose ends on Fleury's deal shouldn't take long, Shero won't have trouble staying busy. Not after he lost his No. 1 right winger, Marian Hossa, to Detroit via free agency yesterday.

While the Penguins -- who had offered Hossa a little more than $7 million per season on deals lasting five, six or seven years -- clearly were taken aback when he opted for a one-year, $7.4 million deal with the Red Wings, they moved quickly to try to fill the hole created by his departure.

Because Hossa was the crown jewel of the free-agent Class of 2008, the Penguins aren't going to find a replacement of his caliber in the next day or so. In fact, they won't try.

Instead, Shero said, they likely will take the money they were prepared to invest in Hossa and use it to add a couple of wingers capable of playing on the top two lines.

"There certainly are some decent options for us," he said. "That was a lot of money going to one player. Now we have the possibility of spreading it out a little bit."

Ex-Penguin Markus Naslund, late of Vancouver, is getting a long look -- which is more than another Penguins alum, Jaromir Jagr, received -- but the Penguins apparently have not isolated just a handful of candidates for spots alongside Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Anybody past the prime of his career -- and most of the skilled wingers still available in free agency are -- need not apply for work here if he's intent on getting a contract that lasts more than a season or two.

Finding guys willing to play on the Penguins' terms apparently won't be a problem, though, based on Shero's observations since free agency kicked in Tuesday afternoon.

"You have guys who have called me -- the same situation as last year -- who really want to play here," he said.

The sentiment certainly seemed to figure into defenseman Brooks Orpik's decision to re-sign with the Penguins.

He accepted a contract that will pay him $3.75 million per season for six years, but could have gotten at least $4 million per season if he had opted to leave the Penguins.

Instead, he honored his pledge to accept a bit less than market value to stay.

In so doing, Shero said, Orpik followed the precedent set by Crosby and Malkin, who gave the team bigger discounts by agreeing to five-year contracts with an average annual value of $8.7 million.

"I'm happy Brooks Orpik took less money to be here," Shero said. "He wants to be here."

Retaining Orpik filled out the Penguins' depth chart on defense. Now, when he isn't shopping for skilled linemates to play with Crosby and Malkin, Shero can turn his attention to replacing some of the grit and toughness the Penguins have lost via the departure of Gary Roberts, Ryan Malone and Jarkko Ruutu, who accepted a three-year, $3.9 million offer from Ottawa yesterday.

Shero was responsible for bringing Roberts and Ruutu as well as Georges Laraque to the Penguins, so he obviously recognizes the value of assembling a team that is physical, abrasive and difficult to play against.

"I certainly like to have a team that plays a certain style," he said. "Maybe this is Ryan Stone's turn, or someone else's, [to provide] the grit internally. Or else we'll go out and find it."

NOTES -- Malkin's new contract will pay him $9 million in each of the first four seasons, $7.5 million in the final one. ... Former Penguins defenseman Josef Melichar signed a one-year contract with Carolina. Melichar, 29, played 310 games for the Penguins between 2000-01 and 2006-07.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08185/894519-61.stm

X-Terminator
07-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Rumored deal for the Flower is 6 years, $33 million.

Looks like Lord Stiller was right all along - the Pens apparently did give him more than $5 million per season after all.

HometownGal
07-03-2008, 06:03 AM
I am sorry to see Hoss go and am quite surprised by his decision, but when the Wings don't win the Cup this season (it is very difficult to win back to back Cups - doesn't happen all that often), he'll be outta Detroit too. :toofunny:

I am PISSED that they let Ruutu go into FA and that he is now with the Sens. Can't really say anything more than that. :mad::mad: I'm still going to wear his shirt to games - he was a fan fave and is going to be missed.

Great on signing Orpik! :drink:

I don't care what top RW they sign as long as it isn't Chubb-O-Mir.

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 07:32 AM
I told everyone here we should keep Orpik

some more info on the orpik deal...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_575786.html

"Deep down, I always knew Pittsburgh was the place I would be happiest," said Orpik, who inked a six-year contract worth $22.5 million to continue playing defense with the Penguins. "After the year we had and knowing the young core of guys we have coming back for that much longer ...

"I thought, 'If guys like (Sidney Crosby) and (Evgeni Malkin) can take less, everybody else can, too, including me."

The offers Orpik, 27, could have accepted from two other teams -- one of which was the Atlantic Division rival New York Rangers - would have paid him a higher annual salary.

Good for Orpik he turned down less money from the Rangers and another team to stay in da 'burgh

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Rumored deal for the Flower is 6 years, $33 million.

Looks like Lord Stiller was right all along - the Pens apparently did give him more than $5 million per season after all.

It's a good signing when you look at what all those FA bums got like Huet and Thibealt

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
here is a good site with updated cap info: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PIT

right now the Pens have 13.7 million left. after the Fleury signing they will have 8.2 million left. they should sign 2 wingers

apparently they made and offer to Naslund (2 yrs, 7.5 million) and are waiting to hear back.

after all this is done, work on extending Staal :tt03::tt03::tt03:

the moral of the story here is to lock up your players before they hit FA.

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 07:52 AM
here is a good site with updated cap info: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PIT

right now the Pens have 13.7 million left. after the Fleury signing they will have 8.2 million left. they should sign 2 wingers

i just noticed that site has Eaton making 2 mill instead of 1 so we actually have 9.2 million in cap space and we actually have to sign more than 2 forwards. We need to get 1 decent winger (Naslund) and a few cheaper role players (Matt Cooke is 1 guy they are talking about who plays a lot like Ruutu)

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
we are now pretty deep on D and could trade a guy like Whitney for a quality winger. Might be our best option at this point

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
we are now pretty deep on D and could trade a guy like Whitney for a quality winger. Might be our best option at this point

middle of the season i kno i disagreed with you on trading whitney, i think my exact words - he is still young u cant trade a guy with that kind of promise. Then the second half and playoffs happened, now im with you on that. if we can get a good scoring winger in return for whitney id say pull the trigger. we got some other good offensive defenseman that can take his spot. Letang can step up this season and play on the first powerplay unit.

maybe whitney/draftpick/prospect for Gaborik?

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
middle of the season i kno i disagreed with you on trading whitney, i think my exact words - he is still young u cant trade a guy with that kind of promise. Then the second half and playoffs happened, now im with you on that. if we can get a good scoring winger in return for whitney id say pull the trigger. we got some other good offensive defenseman that can take his spot. Letang can step up this season and play on the first powerplay unit.

maybe whitney/draftpick/prospect for Gaborik?

exactly my thoughts, that Letang will be ready to step it up. He has a ton of skill. And we also have Goligoski who is offensively gifted and looks to be NHL ready

The FA wingers are washed up and overpriced. Their are quality wingers that we could trade for....Gaborik, Cheechoo, Marleou, many more i cant think of right now

Counselor
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
feel much better today than I did yesterday. Shero's press conference was helpful to me.

screw Hossa.

Ruutu and Hall left because we weren't willing to give them the security of a three year deal that they wanted--its not that we didn't try to sign them. I'm OK with that. business decision on both sides.

We are solid at center, defense and goalie for a long time. (Pending Fluery's signature). Excellent.

In all honesty, we just have to work through the fact that we're going to have to be thin at wing, and use some stop gap solutions until our prospects are ready.

This should make you feel better----with 9 million we need to replace Malone, Armstrong and Ruutu, not Malone HOSSA and ruutu. We didn't start the season with Hossa---in fact he hardly played until the playoffs. If we don't get Naslund or any of these other big names, we're still going to be fine.

Don't panic and want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Whitney is just coming into his own---game five of the finals--no words to describe the gritty performance he put on with gonchar out---he played like 50 minutes! And well too. If we call Orpik's performance the "shift" and are ready to give him a contract for it, we should call "Whitney's" the game aned keep him for it. Don't foget they both spent time on left wing last year. We won't have Gonchar forever. Whitney is part of the future--all trading him for a winger does is weaken one area and minimally help another.

Remember, Crosby and Malkin can make just about anyone look like a star. (just remember Robbie Brown on Lemieux's line). Shero will find role players to fill in while we wait to find the right guys. And all will be well.

We are Steeler fans, we should understand the concept of building with youth and prospects and not overpaying older players in a crazy Free Agent market. Patience is a virtue.

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
i agree with your post that the Pens are making the right moves for the future by solidifying our core and not overpaying guys

we are just going to have to accept the fact that we might not be as good next year but will awesome in a few years

i think 1 thing we can all agree on is trying to trade Sydor and his 2.5 million but i doubt anyone wants him :noidea:

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
here is a good site with Pens rumors: http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

for today:

11:07 a.m. Shero continues his pursuit to move Daryl Sydor. Chicago had interest in him at the draft.

11:05 a.m. Daily News reporting the Rangers may be parting ways with Jagr. My sources still indicate he's a longshot. Mario is behind the scenes trying to push this but right now I just don't see it happening.

11:01 a.m. Still no word on Matt Cooke. I'm told a offer has been made. Jason Williams creating some buzz today. There has been a inquiry about Fedotenko but nothing more than that. No offer made to Satan yet who approached the Penguins about coming here. Discussions with Demitra. No offer as of this minute.

10:59 a.m. Penguins still have a slight interest in Bertuzzi if his asking price comes down. I'm being told he thinks he's a three million a year player but no one is meeting those demands yet and is a reason Pittsburgh broke off talks yesterday.

10:46 a.m. Penguins stepping up efforts for Naslund. I'm still hearing he's leaning towards returning to Vancouver or signing with Minnesota but Pittsburgh has slightly increased their offer and they are still in the running. The Rangers have had discussions with Naslund and Demitra. Potential suitors: Van, NYR Pit, Min

X-Terminator
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
feel much better today than I did yesterday. Shero's press conference was helpful to me.

screw Hossa.

Ruutu and Hall left because we weren't willing to give them the security of a three year deal that they wanted--its not that we didn't try to sign them. I'm OK with that. business decision on both sides.

We are solid at center, defense and goalie for a long time. (Pending Fluery's signature). Excellent.

In all honesty, we just have to work through the fact that we're going to have to be thin at wing, and use some stop gap solutions until our prospects are ready.

This should make you feel better----with 9 million we need to replace Malone, Armstrong and Ruutu, not Malone HOSSA and ruutu. We didn't start the season with Hossa---in fact he hardly played until the playoffs. If we don't get Naslund or any of these other big names, we're still going to be fine.

Don't panic and want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Whitney is just coming into his own---game five of the finals--no words to describe the gritty performance he put on with gonchar out---he played like 50 minutes! And well too. If we call Orpik's performance the "shift" and are ready to give him a contract for it, we should call "Whitney's" the game aned keep him for it. Don't foget they both spent time on left wing last year. We won't have Gonchar forever. Whitney is part of the future--all trading him for a winger does is weaken one area and minimally help another.

Remember, Crosby and Malkin can make just about anyone look like a star. (just remember Robbie Brown on Lemieux's line). Shero will find role players to fill in while we wait to find the right guys. And all will be well.

We are Steeler fans, we should understand the concept of building with youth and prospects and not overpaying older players in a crazy Free Agent market. Patience is a virtue.

Good post, and I agree for the most part. But seriously...we can't go into the season with Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot as 2 of our top 6 forwards, can we? Also, I'm certainly willing to accept that the Pens may not be as good as last season and will support/cheer them until the end no matter what happens, but will the other fans follow suit after coming within 2 wins of the Stanley Cup? This is Pittsburgh, after all, and the Pens are always one mediocre season away from the bandwagon fans breaking their legs jumping off.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Good post, and I agree for the most part. But seriously...we can't go into the season with Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot as 2 of our top 6 forwards, can we? Also, I'm certainly willing to accept that the Pens may not be as good as last season and will support/cheer them until the end no matter what happens, but will the other fans follow suit after coming within 2 wins of the Stanley Cup? This is Pittsburgh, after all, and the Pens are always one mediocre season away from the bandwagon fans breaking their legs jumping off.

yea i agree, if Kennedy and/or Talbot are part of our top 6 forwards we are in trouble. I will too cheer and support them this upcoming season no matter who is on the team. i have plans to have direct tv installed in my new place by time penguin season starts so i dont miss a game.

Counselor
07-03-2008, 12:18 PM

You're right ---but what about this:

Dupuis --- Crosby --- ????
Staal ----Malkin ---- Sykora
???? --- Talbot ---- ????
???? --- Kennedy-- Goddard

Then we need one top six forward and three role players/grinders: Maybe Cooke? Maybe one prospect from Wilksbarre? and someone else.

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 12:29 PM
i keep seeing people putting Staal on a wing. That's not going to happen. Staal demanded to play center and im pretty sure the Pens want him as their 3rd shutdown center anyways.

What's wrong with Talbot as a top 6 wing? i think that's a good idea. The big problem is putting Dupuis on the first line, he sucks and should be on the 3rd line

Counselor
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Report from TIOPS:

1:35 p.m. The Penguins have officially signed Marc Andre Fleury to a 7yr - 35 million deal

Counselor
07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
i keep seeing people putting Staal on a wing. That's not going to happen. Staal demanded to play center and im pretty sure the Pens want him as their 3rd shutdown center anyways.

Demanded? Sure he wants to play center and the penguins want him to play center----but if you're short one top 6 forward, isn't it best to put your best 3rd liner there---and Staal is definately that. He is taking Malone's place on the PP. Why not on wing if necessary---He had great chemisty with Malkin their rookie season.

Counselor
07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
TIOPS REPORT:

1:44 p.m. The Penguins have signed Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko.

Can this be true?

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Satan got 1 year, 3.5 million

Fedotenko got 1 year, 2.25 million

I like the deals

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Pens still have money to play with, they need to add some grit....

2:15 p.m. Sources indicate the Penguins are still in play for Matt Cooke. I'm hearing they have made a 2 yr offer worth 1.6 million per season.

Also hearing talk about getting Jason Williams. And also hearing that Shero will trade Sydor

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Staal is our best faceoff he will NOT play wing.

looks like our free agent signing is done unless we unload Sydor's contract

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/pit080703.html

Miro Satan and Fedotenko arent exactly the players i wanted, so i guess Naslund, Jagr and Demtria fell through

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 02:28 PM
What's wrong with Talbot as a top 6 wing? i think that's a good idea. The big problem is putting Dupuis on the first line, he sucks and should be on the 3rd line

there is nothing wrong with Talbot as a top 6 forward. i think the energy he brings to the game would be welcomed on the first line with Sid. I jus think that Dupuis and Crosby played good enough together to keep him on the first line

Right Now i think this is how it may role, jus me prob will be a lot different if we do sign matt cooke

Satan---Crosby--Dupuis
Fedotenko--Malkin--Sykor
Talbot--Staal--Kennedy
???---Stone----Godard

???- maybe Nathan Smith or Connor James

Its hard to tell the defensive side. Gonchar, Oripk, Whitney, Letang and i guess Gil have a spot. that leaves Eaton, Scuderi, Sydor (maybe Gil) there to fill out the last pairing. It would make it easier for us if we traded Sydor but if not its never a bad thing to have 8 solid D-man

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Satan---Crosby--Dupuis
Fedotenko--Malkin--Sykor
Talbot--Staal--Kennedy
???---Stone----Godard

???- maybe Nathan Smith or Connor James

Its hard to tell the defensive side. Gonchar, Oripk, Whitney, Letang and i guess Gil have a spot. that leaves Eaton, Scuderi, Sydor (maybe Gil) there to fill out the last pairing. It would make it easier for us if we traded Sydor but if not its never a bad thing to have 8 solid D-man

i like your lines but would switch Talbot and Dupuis. I still think we will sign a tough guy like Matt Cooke for the 4th line

a healthy Eaton makes our top 4 pairings. Scuderi is solid and will be our 7th guy. Sydor is the odd man out and Shero is trying to trade him

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
i like your lines but would switch Talbot and Dupuis. I still think we will sign a tough guy like Matt Cooke for the 4th line

a healthy Eaton makes our top 4 pairings. Scuderi is solid and will be our 7th guy. Sydor is the odd man out and Shero is trying to trade him

if we sign Matt Cooke he will prob take the line 3 wing and slide Dupuis/Talbot to the fourth line and maybe even bump ryan stone back to the minors which i hope not he is a good young scrappy player he has more fights than goals in his short NHL career. Cooke may be an agitator but he will be worthy of 3rd line minutes. i remember Eaton's first season and him and gonchar had pretty good chemistry and if Eaton end's up on the top pair that actually wouldnt surprise me.

Lord Stiller
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
3:18 p.m. I'm hearing Pittsburgh is waiting to hear back from Matt Cooke. He is believed to be considering the Penguins 2yr offer worth 1.6 million per season.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Montreal Canadiens sign George Laraque to a 3 year 1.5 million dollar deal

Big7BenHOF
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
WOOOOO! FLEURY AND MALKIN ARE LOCKED UP!

TIME TO GET ME A FLEURY JERSEY!

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Rangers sign Markus Naslund and Dmitri Kalinin.
1. How the hell are they still under the cap?
2. With adding Redden, Zherdev, Kalinin, and Naslund the Rangers are looking real good

X-Terminator
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Rangers sign Markus Naslund and Dmitri Kalinin.
1. How the hell are they still under the cap?
2. With adding Redden, Zherdev, Kalinin, and Naslund the Rangers are looking real good

Look at all of the salary the Rangers have dropped in the past 2 weeks - Jagr, Shanahan, Straka, Avery and Mara leaving plus trading Backman and Tyutin for Zherdev and Fritsche saved the Rangers over $20 million in cap space. Couple that with the cap increase, and that's why they can bring Naslund in.

Anyway, the Pens have gone from Hossa and Malone to Satan and Fedotenko. A BIG decline in talent, but both of these guys are capable of putting up some good numbers playing with Sid and Geno - at least I damn well hope they do, because neither of them played particularly well last season on Long Island. I hope the Pens can land Cooke, but if they don't, I won't be too upset, because the guy is a complete dirtbag and cheap shot artist, and it will be tough for me to warm up to him. Getting Fleury locked up long-term though makes my day, and at $5 million a year, that may end up looking like a bargain in a few years if he continues to play like he did at the end of last season and in the playoffs.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
looking at the AHL website and came across Alex Goligoski's numbers in the playoffs- 28 points in 24 games! for a defenseman thats crazy. i def think Pittsburgh should try and find a way to get him up in the NHL and get him playn time, i dont want him a scratch for most of the games.

http://www.wbspenguins.com/team/

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 08:05 AM
looking at the AHL website and came across Alex Goligoski's numbers in the playoffs- 28 points in 24 games! for a defenseman thats crazy. i def think Pittsburgh should try and find a way to get him up in the NHL and get him playn time, i dont want him a scratch for most of the games.

http://www.wbspenguins.com/team/

Those numbers notwithstanding, a lot of people feel that he's not ready yet and needs one more year in the A. He definitely needs to get bigger and stronger, otherwise he's going to be a speed bump in the NHL.

Also, it's official - Fatty McChubbs has gone over to Russia. The Rangers told him outright that they weren't bringing him back after they signed Naslund, and obviously the Pens couldn't bring him back, thank God. He got a 2-year deal plus an option for a 3rd.

pittsburghp8baller
07-04-2008, 11:36 AM
this is what i like to hear from the team

Penguins keeping team's core intact
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367696

Everybody is different. But, for myself, I didn't want to go out there and try to fight for a deal to get more. This is a lot and I am really happy with it

/\
Marc Andre Fleury on his contract negotians

pittsburghp8baller
07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
July 4, 2008 | 12:34pm ET
Hawks, Penguins talking trade?
TheFourthPeriod.com

According to the Chicago Daily Herald, the Blackhawks are interested in Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney.
Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon has been looking to add a physical defenseman, and with news that James Wisniewski will miss part of the season with a torn ACL, the need for one has risen.

The Daily Herald reports the Hawks are believed to be spoken to the Penguins about Whitney.

i gotta agree with that, for a big defenseman whitney is no where near the physical defenseman that the blackhawks are looking for
Whitney, is makes $4 million per season, has a big frame but isn't entirely a physical defenseman, per say
Another option for Chicago is unrestricted free agent defenseman Jason Smith, according to TFP's Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta.
Smith continues to mull over offers, but has yet to make a decision as of Friday morning.

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Seems Martin Havlat would be the guy the Pens would go after in that deal since they're looking for another top 6 forward, but he's been injury-prone all of his career and is coming off of shoulder surgery. I'd have to say no.

Lord Stiller
07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
who do we try to get from Chicago?

Kane, Toewes, Sharp, Byfuglian????

no way should be get Havlat

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Patrick Sharp, please!

pittsburghp8baller
07-04-2008, 01:52 PM

no way they trade Kane or Toews prob not Sharp either. Dustin Byfuglian is a restricted free agent and according to the fourthperiod.com hasnt come to a agreement yet with chicago (they are a little behind)

If the pens are trying to get a top 6 forward it would prob be Havlat.

Lord Stiller
07-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Patrick Sharp, please!

Sharp, Toewes or Kane and i would be ecstatic. I dont know much about them, do you? Which of the 3 is the grittiest? Who do you think would be the best scoring wing, toewes?

If we package Whitney, draft pick(s) and a prospect they might bite

And we would still be okay on D with:

Orpik-Gonchar
Eaton-Letang
Gill-Scuderi
(Goligoski, Sydor)

Lord Stiller
07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Dustin Byfuglian is a restricted free agent and according to the fourthperiod.com hasnt come to a agreement yet with chicago (they are a little behind)

This website says he is signed for 3 million per year for the next 3 years: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI&season=0809

and then he is an RFA

Trading for Havalt would be stupid, another rental and he is injury prone

pittsburghp8baller
07-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Patrick Sharp, please!

Sharp set a career high in goals last season and as increased his points for the last three seasons. he would be a good addition, some1 who can kill penaltys(7 SH goals), play the power play (9 PPG) and play on the top two lines, but im not sure how willing the Blackhawks are willing to give him up, especially after the season he jus had

Lord Stiller
07-04-2008, 01:58 PM
isnt Andrew Ladd pretty good?

pittsburghp8baller
07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Sharp, Toewes or Kane and i would be ecstatic. I dont know much about them, do you? Which of the 3 is the grittiest? Who do you think would be the best scoring wing, toewes?

If we package Whitney, draft pick(s) and a prospect they might bite

And we would still be okay on D with:

Orpik-Gonchar
Eaton-Letang
Gill-Scuderi
(Goligoski, Sydor)

Toews is the future captain of the Blackhawks, at 19 he is already a great leader and a very good playmaker, a bonafide #1 Center already. Kane lead rookies in points jus because Toews got hurt. At 18 he made the USA team for the world championships. No way chicago would give them up without getting a hefty amount of players in return def not for whitney

Lord Stiller
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Kings need D also and to spend money to hit the floor

Whitney and Sydor for Frolov or Kopitar!

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Sharp set a career high in goals last season and as increased his points for the last three seasons. he would be a good addition, some1 who can kill penaltys(7 SH goals), play the power play (9 PPG) and play on the top two lines, but im not sure how willing the Blackhawks are willing to give him up, especially after the season he jus had

Yes I know all of that - it was just wishful thinking on my part. I seriously doubt the Hawks would be willing to give him up unless they got another top 6 forward in the deal.

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 02:31 PM
isnt Andrew Ladd pretty good?

Ladd is pretty much a plugger - a 3rd line player who plays with a little sandpaper in his game. Definitely not worthy of trading Whitney for.

Kings need D also and to spend money to hit the floor

Whitney and Sydor for Frolov or Kopitar!

I'd take Frolov over Kopitar, but I doubt the Kings trade either of them at this point, and certainly not Kopitar. If they do anything, they'll try to sign a couple of FAs or retain a couple of their own.

SteelCityMan786
07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Marian Hossa Signs One Of the Stanley Cup teams

only thing it was the Red Wings!!

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/det080702.html

Didnt see that one coming. I didnt hear anywhere that the red wings were one of the teams going after Hossa

Detroit, DETROIT?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME HOSSA? Detroit's prime is just about if not already past them. They're going to have to start selling off their team which the majority of are close to filing for retirement from the league. This is also the same team who beat you in the Stanley Cup finals as a Penguin. YOU ARE TELLING ME YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE A CHANCE TO STICK RIGHT BACK AT THEM????? When the Penguins beat you this year, don't come crying to me.

You could have had that money over a long term with a team that had a chance to win a Stanley Cup this past season and does again next year. It's ridiculous that you leave a city that welcomed you with open arms after seeing what this trade did to this team. It made them better.

He could have had that $7.4 million in a long-term deal and multiple shots at the Cup, but chose 1 year in Detroit. I will be laughing SO hard when the Wings DON'T win the Cup next season, and I will pray that it's the Penguins that keep him from winning it. And the Penguins better not even think about dialing that jackass' number when the season's over. I don't want him back here. F him.

And the worst thing about this is that it pretty much means that McChubbs will be donning the black and gold once again. I think I'm going to throw up.

I will be shitting myself most likely if that happens.

X-Terminator
07-05-2008, 05:53 PM
The Pens signed Matt Cooke today to take over Ruutu's role. Ugh, I hate this guy - such a friggin dirtbag, and never backs it up by dropping the gloves. I don't know if I'd be able to warm up to him. As for Janne Pesonen...blah. I'm never too high on European players who put up big numbers in their respective leagues. It's not much of a risk on the Pens' part though.

Penguins sign forward to replace Ruutu
Saturday, July 05, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have agreed to a two-year contract with free-agent forward Matt Cooke.

The deal is worth $1.2 million per season.

Cooke, who will be 30 on Sept. 7, is 5 foot 11, 205 pounds and is an accomplished agitator and penalty-killer.

His addition will help to offset the departure of left winger Jarkko Ruutu, who signed with Ottawa and once was Cooke's teammate with the Canucks.

Cooke had 10 goals, 13 assists and 91 penalty minutes in 78 games with Vancouver and Washington last season.

The Penguins apparently still are working to finalize a contract with left winger Janne Pesonen, a free agent from Finland.

Pesonen, 26, told a Finnish radio station yesterday that he intends to sign a one-year contract to play, but the agreement still is a work in progress. Pesonen also has received offers from teams in Russia and Switzerland.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08187/895056-100.stm

pittsburghp8baller
07-05-2008, 06:19 PM
im looking forward to seeing Pensonen play. as long as he can adjust to the NHL game style/format he will be a great winger to put along side Crosby

i found this of him on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06b9ARRtuNE

Lord Stiller
07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I like the Cooke signing, adds some extra grit we needed

He played well against Philly in the playoffs last year

X-Terminator
07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
This is the kind of shit that Cooke pulls, and shows why so many fans would like to see him gored with a goalie stick:

YtVoRwD-oI0

vRbGjpz2DcY

1At0FiXIo7Y

This last one is interesting because obviously Cooke and Godard are now teammates:

KxCsKAc6PBo

Lord Stiller
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
there are a lot of rumors about the Pens packaging Sydor and Scuderi together in a trade. I'd hate to lose Scuderi though

I'm liking how are lines are shaping up:

Talbot-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis

then for the 4th line they've got the following to choose from:
Brent, Minard, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Stone, Godard, Pesonen, Caputi, Johnson, Filewich.

HometownGal
07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
This is the kind of shit that Cooke pulls, and shows why so many fans would like to see him gored with a goalie stick:

Y'know, most of the NHL and its fans hated Ruutu, but look how quickly his teammates and the fans (including me) warmed up to him. If you will remember, Ulfie was hated here until he wore a Pens uniform. Also - neither of us was thrilled when Laraque signed with the Pens and what did it take - 1 or 2 games to appreciate him? I'm going to give Cooke a fair shot as I did with the others. I'll bet you dollars to donuts you'll warm up to him after a couple of games. :wink02:

X-Terminator
07-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Y'know, most of the NHL and its fans hated Ruutu, but look how quickly his teammates and the fans (including me) warmed up to him. If you will remember, Ulfie was hated here until he wore a Pens uniform. Also - neither of us was thrilled when Laraque signed with the Pens and what did it take - 1 or 2 games to appreciate him? I'm going to give Cooke a fair shot as I did with the others. I'll bet you dollars to donuts you'll warm up to him after a couple of games. :wink02:

You're right of course, but the thing with Cooke is he loves to run guys from behind, punches guys when the referees aren't looking, slew-foots players, just an all-around cheap bastard...and then when the time comes for him to man up and fight, he runs away or turtles like a pansy. He reminds me so much of Darcy Tucker, and you know how much I hate him...but at least Tucker will fight when it's time to pay the piper. Cooke hides like a scared rabbit, and then runs his mouth. I really don't know if I'll be able to warm up to him, but I'll give him a fair chance, because when he isn't being a dirtbag, he's pretty useful in that he's a good penalty killer, is physical and will put up 10-12 goals a year playing on the 3rd line.

BettisFan
07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
lol this is going to be a whole new ball game this year

X-Terminator
07-05-2008, 10:34 PM
there are a lot of rumors about the Pens packaging Sydor and Scuderi together in a trade. I'd hate to lose Scuderi though

Talbot-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis

Brent, Minard, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Stone, Godard, Pesonen, Caputi, Johnson, Filewich.

Staal only centers the 3rd line if Pesonen or someone else is brought in to play the LW on the top line. Otherwise, I see Staal playing there. Also, Jeff Taffe should be an option on the 4th line, as the Pens are rumored to be close to re-signing him. I think they should try to bring in Arron Asham as another physical presence for the 3rd or 4th line - he'd only cost them about $800K.

I've heard the trade rumors about Scuderi and Sydor, and Chicago has apparently shown the most interest. Havlat still seems like the guy who would come this way - the Hawks would love to get something in return for him since he will be a UFA at the end of the season and need to save some money so they can get under the cap - they are currently about $2 million over. I still don't want him, even though it would only be a one-year risk for the Pens if they did acquire him in a trade.

pittsburghp8baller
07-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Talbot-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis

i like how those are looking, but i think that Pesonen has top 6 talent and IF the adjustment goes well (dealing with the different rink size and playing style) he could find himself on the first line with Crosby.

Jeffrey, Stone, and Caputi will not make the team and be sent to the AHL so they can get playing time and not be stuck on the fourth line and only be getting inbetween 5-10 minutes of ice time, id rather them be in the AHL where they can get 15-20 minutes and grow into the top liner players we want them to be.

This is what i think (as long as Pesonen adjusts well or he can be replaced by marty havlat maybe?)
Pesonen-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
The Last 6 six will prob be between
Staal*, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis, Talbot, Godard, Brent, Minard, James, Smith

pittsburghp8baller
07-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Staal only centers the 3rd line if Pesonen or someone else is brought in to play the LW on the top line. Otherwise, I see Staal playing there

I dont why we would move Staal from center? i know he his good enough to play on the top two lines but he is our best faceoff player(either him or Crosby), and with us finishing dead last on faceoffs we need our best guys taken them. the only way he gets he plays with malkin or crosby is on the power play (given) and if one of those two moves to wing, prob malkin cause he wasnt the best on faceoffs (Geno- 39.2, Sid- 52.1(only 52 games though), Staal- 42.2 in regular season- 51.3 postseason). even though he played on the third line he still logged over 18 minutes of ice time, so i see him staying exactly where he is

Lord Stiller
07-05-2008, 11:59 PM
I dont why we would move Staal from center?

trust me, Staal will be our 3rd line center no matter what. i'd bet money on it

Pens love his shutdown ability.

Dont worry though, Staal will get as much ice time as Crosby/Malkin because he is our top PKer and might take Malone's spot on the #1 PP

X-Terminator
07-06-2008, 08:29 AM
I dont why we would move Staal from center? i know he his good enough to play on the top two lines but he is our best faceoff player(either him or Crosby), and with us finishing dead last on faceoffs we need our best guys taken them. the only way he gets he plays with malkin or crosby is on the power play (given) and if one of those two moves to wing, prob malkin cause he wasnt the best on faceoffs (Geno- 39.2, Sid- 52.1(only 52 games though), Staal- 42.2 in regular season- 51.3 postseason). even though he played on the third line he still logged over 18 minutes of ice time, so i see him staying exactly where he is

Because right now, he's one of our 6 best forwards, and I thought we wanted our top 6 forwards to play together? Plus, Staal himself has said that he'd rather play on the top 2 lines so that he would get more ice time. It would also improve his offensive numbers, because when he put up those 29 goals in his rookie season, he spent most of the time playing LW with Malkin, and given that he's looking for an extension, better offensive numbers = more money in his pocket. Anyway, I said he only plays LW on the top line if there's no better option - if Pesonen pans out or they bring in Havlat or another top 6 forward, then Staal will center the 3rd line.

X-Terminator
07-06-2008, 10:44 AM
i like how those are looking, but i think that Pesonen has top 6 talent and IF the adjustment goes well (dealing with the different rink size and playing style) he could find himself on the first line with Crosby.

Jeffrey, Stone, and Caputi will not make the team and be sent to the AHL so they can get playing time and not be stuck on the fourth line and only be getting inbetween 5-10 minutes of ice time, id rather them be in the AHL where they can get 15-20 minutes and grow into the top liner players we want them to be.

This is what i think (as long as Pesonen adjusts well or he can be replaced by marty havlat maybe?)
Pesonen-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
The Last 6 six will prob be between
Staal*, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis, Talbot, Godard, Brent, Minard, James, Smith

I don't think Stone will be a top-line player in the NHL - he'll be a 3rd or 4th liner. But the Pens really like Jeff Taffe, and if they do re-sign him, then he'll likely center the 4th line and Stone's path would be blocked anyway. It's a shame, because Stone is exactly the kind of scrappy player the Pens need in the lineup. He's a bit of a pest, has been a decent forechecker, loves to hit and will drop the gloves. Caputi and Jeffrey are definitely projected to be top liners and need to stay in WBS.

If Pesonen pans out:

Pesonen-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis
Kennedy-Talbot-Godard

pittsburghp8baller
07-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think Stone will be a top-line player in the NHL - he'll be a 3rd or 4th liner. But the Pens really like Jeff Taffe, and if they do re-sign him, then he'll likely center the 4th line and Stone's path would be blocked anyway. It's a shame, because Stone is exactly the kind of scrappy player the Pens need in the lineup. He's a bit of a pest, has been a decent forechecker, loves to hit and will drop the gloves. Caputi and Jeffrey are definitely projected to be top liners and need to stay in WBS.

If Pesonen pans out:

Pesonen-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis
Kennedy-Talbot-Godard

agreed, i didnt mean that Stone would be a top liner, jus in the fact that i want him to be getting playing time wherever he will be and if thats in the AHL i think it would be for the best. I think Stone would of fit perfectly in Cooke spot if we had not signed him, oh well im happy with Cooke.

which is more likely to happen? Sydor/Scuderi to Chicago or Whitney to Chicago? I have heard rumors on either happening. I doubt that Shero would be willing to give up Whitney, but who exactly would we get in return? Havlat is too injury prone to give up 2 solid defenseman and i dont know how willing Chicago is to giving up Pat Sharp.

Lord Stiller
07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
which is more likely to happen? Sydor/Scuderi to Chicago or Whitney to Chicago? I have heard rumors on either happening. I doubt that Shero would be willing to give up Whitney, but who exactly would we get in return? Havlat is too injury prone to give up 2 solid defenseman and i dont know how willing Chicago is to giving up Pat Sharp.

I doubt the Pens are interested in Havlat after acquiring Satan and Fedotenko. I doubt they move Whitney anymore unless they get a great deal. They are trying to move Sydor and teams interested want the Pens to combine Scuderi and Sydor together. We'll see what happens. I'd hate to lose Scuderi, he proved to be a quality dman and really good on the PK

There are some whispers coming out of the windy city that the Chicago Blackhawks have approached the Penguins to see if they are interested in Martin Havlat. Well Pittsburgh did have a interest in Havlat at the trade deadline, I'm being told right now they have absolutely no interest in the trading for the talented forward. There's also some rumors going around that Chicago is making a play for Ryan Whitney. I'm being told that those rumors are bogus and trust me you won't be seeing Whitney in a Blackhawk uniform anytime soon.

Sources indicate the Ottawa Senators, Florida Panthers, Tampa Lightning and LA Kings have approached the Penguins about any defenseman that might be on the trade block. One name garnering some attention is Rob Scuderi. It's not going to be easy for Pittsburgh to unload defenseman Daryl Sydor. There just aren't too many teams lining up to acquire a 6th or 7th defenseman who makes 2.5 million per season and whose 36yrs old.

I'm hearing the Penguins are talking to Brad Isbister but are not offering a guaranteed contract.

X-Terminator
07-06-2008, 12:29 PM
agreed, i didnt mean that Stone would be a top liner, jus in the fact that i want him to be getting playing time wherever he will be and if thats in the AHL i think it would be for the best. I think Stone would of fit perfectly in Cooke spot if we had not signed him, oh well im happy with Cooke.

Well it's looking like there's not going to be a trade with Chicago - right now anyway. It still doesn't change the fact that they need to get rid of some salary before training camp to get back under the cap and need help on the blue line. They really made a HUGE blunder by signing Huet to that ridiculous contract when they're already paying Khabibulin nearly $7 million. There's not a team in the league who is so desperate for goalie help that they'd take on Khabibulin's salary. How many teams pay over $12 million for goalies, and one of them will be a backup??? Their only bargaining chip would be Havlat. As for the Pens, they're sitting at a $54 million cap number right now and probably aren't going to make any more major moves, just some fill-in guys to round out the roster, unless they get a proposal that they just can't pass up.

Lord Stiller
07-07-2008, 08:07 AM
here is a video (amazing quality) of Pesonen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekrV5tWgrcE&fmt=6

pittsburghp8baller
07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS SIGN FORWARD JANNE PESONEN
Jul 7, 2008, 3:37 PM EDT

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367924

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Janne Pesonen to a one-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Pesonen led the Finnish Elite League last season, recording 78 points (34 goals, 44 assists) in 56 games with the Oulu Karpat. He contributed 16 points (seven goals, nine assists) during the post-season, helping lead Karpat to its fifth league championship.

“Pesonen is a quick, skilled player that has had much success in the Finnish Elite League,” said Shero. “We look forward to watching him perform at his first NHL training camp.”

Pesonen, 26, played six games for the Finnish National Team during the 2007-08 campaign. He appeared in three games at the 2007 Karjala Cup, scoring one goal and also played in three games during the Sweden Hockey Games, posting three points (one goal, two assists) and six penalty minutes.

Pesonen has won four league championships with Karpat and was the playoff MVP in 2007, recording seven points (four goals, three assists) in nine games. He was named Rookie of the Year in 2003-04, notching 30 points (17 goals, 13 assists) in 56 contests. Pesonen has played in 285 career games all in the Finnish Elite League, collecting 216 points (94 goals, 122 assists), along with 200 penalty minutes. He has also appeared in 62 playoff games, registering 31 points (18 goals, 13 assists) and 32 penalty minutes.

The 5-11, 180-pound native of Suomussalmi, Finland was originally drafted by the Anaheim Ducks in the ninth round, 269th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

pittsburghp8baller
07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS SIGN DEFENSEMAN BEN LOVEJOY
Jul 7, 2008, 3:41 PM EDT

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Ben Lovejoy to a one-year entry-level contract, it was announced today by Assistant General Manager Chuck Fletcher.

Lovejoy played 72 games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL) last season recording 20 points (two goals, 18 assists) and 63 penalty minutes. He appeared in 23 playoff games for the Penguins posting ten points (two goals, eight assists).

The 6-2, 214-pound defenseman joined the Norfolk Admirals (AHL) during the 2006-07 season following his senior season at Dartmouth College. Lovejoy appeared in five games with the Admirals recording six penalty minutes. He finished his college career with 60 points (11 goals, 49 assists) in 118 games with Dartmouth and Boston College. He scored career-highs in 2006-07 in goals (seven), assists (16) and points (23) leading all defensemen in all three categories at Dartmouth.

The native of Canaan, New Hampshire was acquired by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as a free agent on June 14, 2007.

too bad we are stacked at D, this guy looks like he might be able to make a decent defender in the NHL

HometownGal
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
too bad we are stacked at D, this guy looks like he might be able to make a decent defender in the NHL

The Pens probably signed this guy sooner rather than later, as Eaton has gotten injured and been out of the lineup for the majority of the last two seasons. :noidea:

Great news on the signing of Pesonen! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
07-07-2008, 06:08 PM
These signings are all well and good, but where is our secondary toughness going to come from? The Flyers just signed Arron Asham today - he'd have been perfect for this team. But I guess they want to get run over by the Flyers and other tough teams in the league. They need someone other than Godard who can go out there and send a message and defend their teammates.

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Lightning sign Recchi
http://thefourthperiod.com/news/tbl080707.html

The Tampa Bay Lightning continue to add players via the free agent market, signing veteran Mark Recchi to a one-year, $1.25 million contract Monday evening.
Recchi, 40, split last season between the Atlanta Thrashers and Pittsburgh Penguins where he notched 14 goals and 34 assists in 72 total games.

In 1,410 career NHL games, Recchi has accumulated 522 goals and 859 assists for 1,381 points.

The 19-year veteran has captured the Stanley Cup twice; once with Pittsburgh (1990-91) and then with the Carolina Hurricanes (2005-06).

Pittsburghfan
07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
The lightning is now the Tampa Bay Penguins. I was listening to the radio yesterday people still calling and complaining about Hossa leaving HE IS GONE get over it.

X-Terminator
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
The lightning is now the Tampa Bay Penguins. I was listening to the radio yesterday people still calling and complaining about Hossa leaving HE IS GONE get over it.

I got over it the next day, but I can understand a lot of people's frustration and anger. Let's face it, the guy completely betrayed us, stabbed us in the back, after letting everyone think he was going to re-sign, and going to the Wings, the team that just beat the Pens to win the Cup, made it 10x worse. If the Wings play here next season, he is going to be booed like he's never been booed before. McChubbs (Jagr) will not have heard boos like Ho$$a is going to hear.

HometownGal
07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
I got over it the next day, but I can understand a lot of people's frustration and anger. Let's face it, the guy completely betrayed us, stabbed us in the back, after letting everyone think he was going to re-sign, and going to the Wings, the team that just beat the Pens to win the Cup, made it 10x worse. If the Wings play here next season, he is going to be booed like he's never been booed before. McChubbs (Jagr) will not have heard boos like Ho$$a is going to hear.

I got over it, as well, but I lost all of the respect I had for the guy. If he had signed a lucrative long-term deal with the Wings or another team, I would have understood and accepted it - he's not getting any younger and it could have been his last shot at an enormous contract, but the way he left leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, just like PorkOMir. :upyours:

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Well we arent going to have another run at the Cup next year thats for sure, any idea how long its going to take?

what makes u say that? we have a good enough team to make another run at the cup. Miro Satan my not be Hoss but is a dam good replacement. Ray Shero seems to think Pesonen can jump right in and be a sucess, which i agree.

And dont forget we didnt get hossa till the deadline. the team we start the season with will no doubt be different by the playoffs start (injuries, trades).

I personally like the team we are gonna be taken into training camp. Last year a lot of people had us winning/going to the Cup and I had my doubts. This year i know for sure we got to be the favorites in the East still, even thought some may end up doubting. We are so much deeper than people realize, we got people like ryan stone, jeff taffe, chris minard, connor james and even dustin jeffrey and luca caputi. the last two are future top 6 forwards and ones before are servicably 3rd/4th liners. In the NHL its not the team with the BEST players, its the ones who are the DEEPEST. We proved we were deep that is why we were in the Stanley Cup. Detroit's second and third scorers won them that cup.

Lord Stiller
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
i dont know if we will win the Cup next year but i am pretty confident we will win atleast 1 within the next 5 years or less.

We have the 2 best players in the NHL. They aren't even close to their prime yet

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I dont usually agree with what ESPN has to say about hockey, unless its Melrose but i gotta agree here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3478862

It's funny how advancing to the Stanley Cup finals changes your impression of a team and its players. On the surface, the loss of Ryan Malone, Marian Hossa, Jarkko Ruutu, Georges Laraque and Adam Hall looks to be potentially devastating to the Eastern Conference champs. Yet GM Ray Shero managed to lock in the core of his championship-hopeful team by extending the contracts of Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury, and signing free agent Brooks Orpik to a manageable six-year, $22.5 million deal. Although Shero was stung by the departure of Hossa, who opted for a one-year deal in Detroit, he moved quickly to fill the holes on his top two forward lines with Long Island refugees Ruslan Fedotenko and Miroslav Satan. Fedotenko won a Cup with Tampa in 2004 and Satan is a proven goal scorer. On the surface, the two might look like a step back, but, if you recall the start of last season, Malone, like many of the young Penguins, had yet to hit his stride. By next spring, it's possible Fedotenko and Satan may make Shero look like the smartest kid on the block. Trending: Up

pittsburghp8baller
07-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Pens sign Henrich, Kemp
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367992

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Adam Henrich and defenseman T.J. Kemp to one-year contracts, it was announced Tuesday by Assistant General Manager Chuck Fletcher.

Henrich, 24, scored 51 points (24 goals, 27 assists) last season between the Norfolk Admirals of the American Hockey League (AHL) and the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. Henrich also posted 122 penalty minutes between the two clubs.

The 6-4, 225-pound forward has appeared in 145 career games in the AHL, registering 69 points (27 goals, 42 assists) along with 230 penalty minutes. Henrich, a native of Thornhill, Ontario was originally selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the second round (60th overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Kemp appeared in 73 games for the Springfield Falcons (AHL), notching 46 points (eight goals, 38 assists). The 5-11, 197-pound defenseman also tallied 44 penalty minutes.

The native of Pickering, Ontario has played in 152 career games in the AHL, scoring 84 points (13 goals, 71 assists) along with 104 penalty minutes. Kemp appeared in 14 games during the 2007 Calder Cup Playoffs, notching seven points (two goals, five assists) and 12 penalty minutes in 14 games. He also was a member of the Canadian AHL All-Stars during the 2007 AHL All-Star Game.

stlrtruck
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
By the sounds of the most recent signings, it looks like the Pens are going to attempt to build from the farm system.

pittsburghp8baller
07-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Whether u like him or hate him, he was one of the best to play

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367921

Lord Stiller
07-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Funny how a Jagr well past his prime holds several Ranger's team records but a dominant Jagr in his prime and for the bulk of his career playing in da 'burgh doesn't hold any Pens' records

HometownGal
07-10-2008, 07:04 AM

I respected Fatsomir as a player when he was with the Pens but never as a person. Though I can't stomach him, I wish him well.

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Pens sign Henrich, Kemp
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367992

This looks like a depth move for WBS.

pittsburghp8baller
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Funny how a Jagr well past his prime holds several Ranger's team records but a dominant Jagr in his prime and for the bulk of his career playing in da 'burgh doesn't hold any Pens' records

well thats because the Rangers never had any1 like mario to play for them for there whole career (i know gretzky and messier played for them but not long)

pittsburghp8baller
07-12-2008, 01:04 PM
i guess we are addressing our physical problem

Penguins Sign Joey Mormina
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368150

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Joey Mormina to a one-year contract, it was announced Thursday by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ray Shero.

Mormina, 26, played 77 games and registered 13 points (four goals, nine assists) and 96 penalty minutes for the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League (AHL) during the 2007-08 season. The 6-6, 220-pound native of Montreal, Quebec also appeared in seven playoff games for Albany. He was recalled by the Carolina Hurricanes on February 14th and made his NHL debut that night posting four hits vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mormina played two seasons with the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL scoring 24 points (two goals, 22 assists) over 123 games. He also played eight playoff games with the club. Prior to his professional career, Mormina played four seasons at Colgate University. In 141 games, he recorded 56 points (16 goals, 40 assists).

Mormina was originally selected by the Philadelphia Flyers in the sixth round (193rd overall) in the 2002 NHL Draft.

X-Terminator
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
i guess we are addressing our physical problem

Penguins Sign Joey Mormina
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368150

Minor league signing. With the depth we have on D already, there's just no room for him. He is a tough kid though - physical and has dropped the mitts with some pretty tough guys in the A. He also broke Jeff Taffe's nose with an open-ice check in his only game with the Canes last season.

pittsburghp8baller
07-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Penguins Sign Pittsburgh Native Bill Thomas
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368419

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Bill Thomas to a one-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ray Shero.

Thomas, 25, played seven games with the Phoenix Coyotes during the 2007-08 regular season, including 15:22 of icetime on December 3rd vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins. He played 75 games with the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League (AHL). The Pittsburgh native tallied 52 points (24 goals, 28 assists) along with 40 penalty minutes. Thomas played in seven playoff games with San Antonio, scoring three points (one goal, two assists).

The 6-1, 185-pound forward has 17 points (nine goals, eight assists) and 10 penalty minutes in 40 career games in the NHL with Phoenix. He made his NHL debut during the 2005-06 season. Thomas has played 122 career games in the AHL, registering 85 points (37 goals, 48 assists) and 60 penalty minutes.

The Fox Chapel High School graduate played two seasons for the Tri-City Storm in the USHL before heading to the University of Nebraska-Omaha. He scored 95 points (46 goals, 49 assists) over 80 games in two seasons and helped guide the team to its first-ever NCAA tournament appearance.

Thomas was originally signed by Phoenix as a free agent on March 27, 2006

pittsburghp8baller
07-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Penguins Re-Sign Forward Kris Beech
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368421

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed forward Kris Beech to a one-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ray Shero.

Beech posted 11 points (six goals, five assists) in 25 NHL games during the 2007-08 season. He began the season with the Syracuse Crunch (AHL), registering 15 points (five goals, 10 assists) and 22 penalty minutes in 16 contests before joining the Columbus Blue Jackets. Beech was claimed off waivers by the Penguins on January 26th before making his season debut with the team on February 7th vs. the New York Islanders. He played five games until suffering a broken wrist on February 14th at Carolina, missing the remainder of the season.

Beech, 27, had appeared in 95 games in three seasons with the Penguins prior to rejoining the club for the 2007-08 season. He tallied 27 points (10 goals, 17 assists) along with 57 penalty minutes from 2001-2004. Beech also posted 150 points (53 goals, 97 assists) and 319 penalty minutes in three stints with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL.

Beech, a native of Salmon Arm, British Columbia has tallied 67 points (25 goals, 42 assists) along with 113 penalty minutes in 198 career games in the NHL. The 6-2, 209-pound forward was originally drafted by the Washington Capitals in the first round (seventh overall) of the 1999 NHL Draft.

Counselor
07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Very cool about Bill Thomas---I know his sister. It would be nice if he made the team.

pittsburghp8baller
07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Pens Acquire Danny Richmond
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368654

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired the rights to defenseman Danny Richmond in exchange for the rights to Tim Brent, it was announced today by Assistant General Manager Chuck Fletcher.

Richmond, 23, appeared in seven games with the Chicago Blackhawks during the 2007-08 season. He scored 14 points (two goals, 12 assists) along with 156 penalty minutes in 40 games with the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League (AHL), ranking third on the club in penalty minutes.

The 6-0, 194-pound defenseman has played in 49 career games in the NHL, tallying three points (three assists) and 75 penalty minutes. He has played in 223 total games in the AHL, posting 88 points (24 goals, 64 assists) along with 541 penalty minutes.

Richmond, a native of Chicago, Illinois was originally drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the second round (31st overall) of the 2003 NHL Draft.

Brent was originally acquired by the Penguins on June 23rd, 2007 in a trade with the Anaheim Ducks. He appeared in one game in Pittsburgh, January 21st vs. Washington. Brent scored 61 points (18 goals, 43 assists) in 74 games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins during the 2007-08 season.

maybe we are adding depth for a possible big trade involving one of our big defenseman? other than that i dont why we would do that we already had some pretty good depth at defense so shero must know something we dont?

X-Terminator
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Pens Acquire Danny Richmond
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368654

maybe we are adding depth for a possible big trade involving one of our big defenseman? other than that i dont why we would do that we already had some pretty good depth at defense so shero must know something we dont?

He'll be another minor-league signing with a possibility of a call-up if someone gets hurt. Another tough kid, good speed, lots of heart and likes to scrap. Seems Shero wants to keep plenty of toughness in Wilkes-Barre with him and Mormina joining Deryk Engelland, Paul Bissonnette and probably Aaron Boogaard.

SteelCityMan786
07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/08200/897901-100.stm

Penguins, Therrien agree to three-year deal
Friday, July 18, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins and coach Michel Therrien have agreed on a three-year contract that would keep him with the team through the 2010-11 season.

"Michel has done a tremendous job with our team over the past two-and-a-half seasons, developing our young players while leading us to division and conference championships and the Stanley Cup finals," General Manager Ray Shero said. "He had one year remaining on his previous contract, and we could have simply talked about an extension. But we thought that, based on the success we've had together, it was time to negotiate a new deal, starting with an increase in compensation for the 2008-09 season."

Therrien, 44, has led the Penguins to a 94-51-19 record over the past two seasons.

"I'm excited to have a new three-year contract with the Penguins and am looking forward to continued success here in Pittsburgh," Therrien said. "It is a great hockey city with an outstanding fan base. All of our players comment on how much they love playing in Pittsburgh, and I can tell you that our coaches love coaching in Pittsburgh.

"We still have a lot of work to do, though, because we fell short of our biggest goal last season. Our goal is, and always will be, to win the Stanley Cup.

X-Terminator
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
To think, there were rumors about Therrien being let go after last season because he wasn't "Shero's guy." Now, he has a brand new 3-year contract, which is an eternity by today's NHL standards where coaches are chewed up and spit out. He has done a tremendous job molding that young team into a winner, and his no-nonsense attitude has been very refreshing after years of the Pens resembling a country club. He's definitely earned, and will continue to earn, every bit of that new contract.

Congrats, Michel!

Counselor
07-18-2008, 04:47 PM
To think, there were rumors about Therrien being let go after last season because he wasn't "Shero's guy." Now, he has a brand new 3-year contract, which is an eternity by today's NHL standards where coaches are chewed up and spit out. He has done a tremendous job molding that young team into a winner, and his no-nonsense attitude has been very refreshing after years of the Pens resembling a country club. He's definitely earned, and will continue to earn, every bit of that new contract.

Congrats, Michel!

Joe Starkey in the Trib today mentioned that if Therrien finishes the season as the Pens coach next year, it will be the longest tenure of any penguin coach, ever! That is a testament to the crazy NHL Coaching Carousel! (and to some bad coaches---though we had some good ones too--Bob Johnson and Bowman.)

SteelCityMan786
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Therrien was due for a long term deal. He earned it and deserved it. I feel under him the Penguins will continue to move forward and eventually will at the end of the year many homecomings for the Prince of Whales Trophy and the Stanley Cup.

Lord Stiller
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Sydor on the Move?

The Penguins and Lightning are in talks that would put another Penguin in Tampa Bay, Darryl Sydor. Unconfirmed speculation has Sydor putting his Pittsburgh-area home up for sale.
Daryl Sydor demanded a trade at the draft. Shero has had discussions with LA, Atlanta and Tampa Bay regarding Sydor. I'm still not sure that Sydor will be moved this summer. I'm still hearing from some good sources that Shero wants to wait until after training camp before deciding whether to move Sydor or not. I can confirm that Tampa and LA have made offers - DePaoli -
TIOPS has learned the Penguins have signed Dave Gove and Danny Richmond

I dont get it. Trade the bum already!

HometownGal
07-23-2008, 07:31 AM
"I'm excited to have a new three-year contract with the Penguins and am looking forward to continued success here in Pittsburgh," Therrien said. "It is a great hockey city with an outstanding fan base. All of our players comment on how much they love playing in Pittsburgh, and I can tell you that our coaches love coaching in Pittsburgh.

I was so happy to hear that Coach Therrien signed a 3 year deal! :thumbsup::tt03: Also nice to know that he, his coaches the the players love playing in da Burgh! The guy is a winner through and through - great move by Shero! :drink: :hatsoff:

I smell a Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh very soon! :applaudit:

pittsburghp8baller
07-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Sydor on the Move?

The Penguins and Lightning are in talks that would put another Penguin in Tampa Bay, Darryl Sydor. Unconfirmed speculation has Sydor putting his Pittsburgh-area home up for sale.
Daryl Sydor demanded a trade at the draft. Shero has had discussions with LA, Atlanta and Tampa Bay regarding Sydor. I'm still not sure that Sydor will be moved this summer. I'm still hearing from some good sources that Shero wants to wait until after training camp before deciding whether to move Sydor or not. I can confirm that Tampa and LA have made offers - DePaoli -
TIOPS has learned the Penguins have signed Dave Gove and Danny Richmond

I dont get it. Trade the bum already!

if we havent gotten it done and Shero has already talked to that many teams i guess that means no one wants him. the lighting may jump on him, they are the one team there that are in most need for a D-man after trading Boyle

HometownGal
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
if we havent gotten it done and Shero has already talked to that many teams i guess that means no one wants him. the lighting may jump on him, they are the one team there that are in most need for a D-man after trading Boyle

I guess no one has a real interest in 36 year old Dman. Though he didn't play off the charts last season, I really didn't have a major problem with him. Why they gave Eaton a new contract still puzzles the hell out of me though. Don't get me wrong - I was ecstatic when Eaton came to Pittsburgh, but he's played 2 half-seasons with the Pens since his arrival due to injuries.

Lord Stiller
07-23-2008, 10:45 AM

you didnt read my post.

teams have already made offers for him

stlrtruck
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I guess no one has a real interest in 36 year old Dman. Though he didn't play off the charts last season, I really didn't have a major problem with him. Why they gave Eaton a new contract still puzzles the hell out of me though. Don't get me wrong - I was ecstatic when Eaton came to Pittsburgh, but he's played 2 half-seasons with the Pens since his arrival due to injuries.

Third time is the charm!!!
Have faith my BnG Sister!!! :tt03: