PDA

View Full Version : Early 2009 mock drafts with no idea

Aussie_steeler
06-07-2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/2009_nfl_mock_draft.htm

Some sites are starting to get out some really early mock drafts and I am amazed at how little some writers know about the teams that they are writing about. I can live with the draft order projections. I can live with the possibility of picking best player available.

But I really cant handle some picks like this one. Never do the steelers pass on Moala or Tyson Jackson.

22. Pittsburgh Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State
2008 NFL Draft Pick: RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
The Steelers could use some more youth at receiver and Robiskie should be one of the top senior receivers available for the 2009 NFL Draft. He is the son of former NFL player and current coach Terry Robiskie and had 55 receptions for 935 yards and 11 TDs in 2007.

Yes the steelers do need another WR when these guys are still on the board.

29. Jacksonville Fili Moala DT USC
2008 NFL Draft Pick: DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
USC has a history of producing talented defensive lineman and the massive Moala (6' 4" 298 lbs) should be the next in line. A worthy replacement for Marcus Stroud.

30. San Diego Jeremy Perry OG Oregon State
2008 NFL Draft Pick: CB Antoine Cason, Arizona
A powerful offensive lineman (6' 2" 315 lbs) that sustains his blocks very well. Injured in 2007, but if healthy he could be a top ten pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

31. Indianapolis Tyson Jackson DE LSU
2008 NFL Draft Pick (2nd round): C Pollak, Mike, Arizona State
Jackson was not impressive in 2007, but he has the size (6' 4" 290 lbs) and athletic ability to rebound in 2008. He finished 2007 with only 3.5 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss. He was smart to return for his senior year.

32. Dallas Herman Johnson OG LSU
2008 NFL Draft Pick: RB Felix Jones, Arkansas / CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida
A complete monster at 6' 6" 350 pounds, but he is not fat. Johnson has great feet and balance, he just needs to play with a mean streak. A replacement for struggling Kyle Kosier.

Has anyone else seen other mocks that are wide of the mark for the steelers in 2009 like this one?

MDSteel15
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
What a f@#$ing joke! Where do you find good crap like that? LMAO

fansince'76
06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I think mock drafts that are almost a year early are a bit ridiculous anyway. Gee, wonder what stud 5th grade pee wee league LB will be available for us to draft in 2019? :rolleyes:

Rhee Rhee
06-08-2008, 11:41 PM
i would love to see a DB or O-linemen with the firstpick... depending on which plays worse next season.

Rhee Rhee
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
William Moore, FS, Missouri
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Myron Rolle, CB/FS, Florida State

any one of these guys would make me do summersaults around the house...

upon further inspection jarret dillard in the first? talk about crazy....

MasterOfPuppets
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
What a f@#$ing joke! Where do you find good crap like that? LMAOthats what i said about mocks this year having us take a RB with the 1st pick........ what a bunch of morons......:sofunny:

Galax Steeler
06-10-2008, 06:03 AM
thats what i said about mocks this year having us take a RB with the 1st pick........ what a bunch of morons......:sofunny:

I thought the same thing we would never draft a running back in the first this year.

MDSteel15
06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Everyone knows the only reason we took Mendenhall in the 1st was because he was BPA and he should never have fallen that far, well at least according to the experts.

Elvis
06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I really dont think that the Steelers took Mendenhall just because he was the best player available myself. Everyone in the league has figured it out that you need a good backup at RB just like you need a backup QB that can atleast somewhat get the job done for 4 or 5 games a season.
:coffee:

Aussie_steeler
06-30-2008, 06:00 AM
I really dont think that the Steelers took Mendenhall just because he was the best player available myself. Everyone in the league has figured it out that you need a good backup at RB just like you need a backup QB that can atleast somewhat get the job done for 4 or 5 games a season.
:coffee:

IMO Mendenhall was chosen for a number of reasons
1. BPA
2. Insurance for RB this season
3. Insurance for RB when FWP becomes a free agent
The steelers draft extremely well with the future in mind.

On a different note I am amazed at the differing philosophies of the NFL and NBA come draft time. If the Mendenhall scenario was replicated in the NBA draft ,how long would have it taken for a team to try to trade for his rights by offering up players and picks.

Does anyone have an opinion on this that might explain to me the core difference ????

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
The steelers draft extremely well with the future in mind. if this was true, mahan wouldn't have been our center last year, willie colon wouldn't have had the oppurtunity to stink it up at tackle, and max starks sure as hell wouldn't be getting 7 million dollars this year !!! if it were true, nick mangold would have been our starting center last year, and either joe staley would have been our starting right tackle last year, or ben grubbs would be our starting left guard this year.

Aussie_steeler
07-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful tool MOP and yes some of the picks would be nice to have again.

In hindsight I probably would have used a more appropriate term than excellent too.

And yes I would gladly take all three of those O line studs.

Looking back at recent drafts I think rounds 3 & 4 in the 2006 draft didnt help alot and with some better picks at O and D line the team could be in a stronger position. Santonio was a good pick but not much eventuated beyond that.

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful tool MOP and yes some of the picks would be nice to have again.

In hindsight I probably would have used a more appropriate term than excellent too.

And yes I would gladly take all three of those O line studs.

Looking back at recent drafts I think rounds 3 & 4 in the 2006 draft didnt help alot and with some better picks at O and D line the team could be in a stronger position. Santonio was a good pick but not much eventuated beyond that.
has nothing to do with hindsight. even stevie wonder could see the steelers haven't invested much in the Oline in the past 5 years. . hartings DIDN'T keep it a secret that he planned on retiring. everybody was aware that steve hutchinsons new contract drove the prices of guards to a whole new level. does it take hindsight to see that if an injury occurs on the Dline, we'll be in the exact position as last year??? NO. ,and why ? because the problem after smith went down last year, has gone unchecked. so , if smith misses time again in the future, and someone says, damn , we should've taken dre moore, INSTEAD, off bruce davis, is that hindsight, or common sence ?

Texasteel
07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Can't agree with you MOP about taking Mangold instead of Holmes, but I will agree about last year. I never cared much for Staley, but I wanted Grubbs badly. If fact I was hoping that they would take Grubbs in the 1st, and Yanda in the 3rd, both were taken by the Balt. after we picked as I recall.

I do not hate the Davis pick, but like you I really thought that Moore was going to be a Steeler when we got to our 3rd round pick and he was still available.

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Can't agree with you MOP about taking Mangold instead of Holmes, but I will agree about last year. I never cared much for Staley, but I wanted Grubbs badly. If fact I was hoping that they would take Grubbs in the 1st, and Yanda in the 3rd, both were taken by the Balt. after we picked as I recall.

I do not hate the Davis pick, but like you I really thought that Moore was going to be a Steeler when we got to our 3rd round pick and he was still available.so then before the 06 draft, you felt we needed a reciever more than a center ? my logic was and is, its harder to replace a top notch center ( hartings), than a 36 receptions a year slot reciever ( randel el ). greenbay found a pretty good reciever in the 2nd, ( greg jennings) and denver struck gold in the 4th.( brandon marshal).

i'm not hatin on our picks , i'll leave that for HINDSIGHT, later on. i was just explaining to aussie, that hindsight had nothing to do with my rant, it was logic. the same logic that now, said, and says ,that the Dline should have also ,been addressed this year,and if left to detieriate like the Oline has been,we'll have huge problems in the next few years.

Texasteel
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm just saying that I think that Holmes is a better player at his position than Mangold and I would not switch the players if given the chance.
And I am not saying anything aginst your opinion, or your right to rant over the neglect the the trenches have had over the last couple of years, I have much the same feelings.
I do think that if things can hold together for us this year that the line players, both offence and defence, that are coming out next year can suddenly make this a very strong team.

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm just saying that I think that Holmes is a better player at his position than Mangold and I would not switch the players if given the chance.
And I am not saying anything aginst your opinion, or your right to rant over the neglect the the trenches have had over the last couple of years, I have much the same feelings.
I do think that if things can hold together for us this year that the line players, both offence and defence, that are coming out next year can suddenly make this a very strong team.
its really no different then thinking moore was a more logical pick than davis. davis may end up being a better player, but its pretty obvious we need DL, depth, more than LBER depth.

Aussie_steeler
07-02-2008, 05:27 AM
i'm not hatin on our picks , i'll leave that for HINDSIGHT, later on. i was just explaining to aussie, that hindsight had nothing to do with my rant, it was logic. the same logic that now, said, and says ,that the Dline should have also ,been addressed this year,and if left to detieriate like the Oline has been,we'll have huge problems in the next few years.

I understand the logic. Cheers