PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest Helmet in History: The Pittsburgh Steelers

The Duke
06-08-2008, 12:45 AM
gotta agree :helmet:

The Coolest Helmet in History: The Pittsburgh Steelers

By MJD

In 1962, Cleveland Republic Steel suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the Steelmark logo as their official logo. The Rooneys like the idea, and soon, the the Steelmark logo that belonged to the American Iron and Steel Institute also belonged to the Steelers.

They wanted to put it on their helmets, but the fashion-conservative Rooney family, not wanting to to do anything too flashy or daring (understandably, since we're talking about Pittsburgh here, where they've only just now started to believe that people without moustaches could be decent, trustworthy people), experimented first with just putting the logo on one side.

That way, if the people of Pittsburgh turned out to not be ready for such a fashion-forward move, they could just, I don't know ... move to other side of the stadium and look at the blank side.

Myself, I rather like the three touching hypocycloids. They make use of the three primary colors, the very bedrocks of our visual abilities, and there's meaning behind each hypocycloid, too.

When the Steelmark logo was created, U.S. Steel attached the following meaning to it: Steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure and widens your world. The logo was used as part of a major marketing campaign to educate consumers about how important steel is in our daily lives. The Steelmark logo was used in print, radio and television ads as well as on labels for all steel products, from steel tanks to tricycles to filing cabinets.

In the 1960s, U.S. Steel turned over the Steelmark program to the AISI, where it came to represent the steel industry as a whole. During the 1970s, the logo's meaning was extended to include the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal, orange for ore and blue for steel scrap. In the late 1980s, when the AISI founded the Steel Recycling Institute (SRI), the logo took on a new life reminiscent of its 1950s meaning.

Coal isn't yellow, but whatever. Let's not split hairs.

Anyway, the fans didn't object, and the Steelers followed the adoption of the logo with two other tweaks: They changed their helmets from gold (you saw these when the Steelers wore throwbacks this past year) to black, and they got the American Iron and Steel Institute to let them put "Steelers" in the logo, as opposed to just "Steel." That happened in 1963, and since then, things have remained unchanged.

You combine that kind of history and consistency with the overwhelming amount of quirk in the Steelers helmet, and I do believe you've got an undisputed champion here. It's quirk city on the side of Ben Roethlisberger's head. Observe:

• It's the only professional helmet to use a logo that was once a corporate logo before it became a football team logo (other than the short-lived and now defunct Miami Hooters of the Arena Football league).

• It is the only helmet in the NFL to have a logo on one side, but not the other.

• There are two colors present in the helmet logo that exist nowhere else in the Steelers uniform: red and blue.

It's extremely unique, it's got an interesting backstory, and obviously, there's a lot of winning tradition behind it. It succeeds on every front, and is something that's kind of evolved organically out of the town itself to become a powerful and iconic sports logo.

Thankfully for the local football team, Pittsburgh was, in the 60s, a city known for the hard, durable, solid steel it produced. If Pittsburgh had been a city known for cotton, latex, or their burlesque shoes, franchise history could've been totally different.

Previously:
The Honorable Mentions
#11: Buffalo Bills, '65 - 73
#10: Edmonton Eskimos, '70 - Present
#9: San Diego Chargers, '61 - '73
#8: Iowa Barnstormers, '95 - Present
#7: Cincinnati Bengals, '81 - Present
#6: Philadelphia Stars, '83 - '85
#5: Dallas Cowboys, '77 - 'Present
#4: Houston Oilers, '75 - '80
#3: Tie: Green Bay Packers and Indianapolis Colts
#2: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, '76 - '96

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Coolest-Helmet-in-History-The-Pittsburgh-St?urn=nfl,86626

:tt02:

Galax Steeler
06-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Nice read way to go pittsburgh.

Elvis
06-08-2008, 07:30 AM
I always thought the old Tampa Bay Buccaneers helmet was a cool helmet, and why they changed to what they got now is a mystery to me.
The Houston Oilers helmet was kind of plain but I liked it as well.
Cant believe that the Washington Redskins was not even in the top 10 though.. thats a shame.. that helmet is pretty awesome as well.. too bad the team aint that good:sofunny:

stillers4me
06-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Can't figure out why the Bengals made the list.

That helmet is just plain tacky.

But once again......we are awesome!

Steeldude
06-08-2008, 09:11 AM
i know people here hate the pariots very much, but their old helmet is a classic that never should have changed. same goes for the bucs.

fansince'76
06-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Can't figure out why the old LA Rams helmet didn't make the list. Another classic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/St_Louis_Rams_helmet_old.png/120px-St_Louis_Rams_helmet_old.png

I also think the Bucs' helmet/color scheme changed for the better - their old helmet/color scheme looked like a creamsicle.

Can't argue with #1, though. :thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I also think the Bucs' helmet/color scheme changed for the better - their old helmet/color scheme looked like a creamsicle.

I was just going to type the same thing!

Can't argue with number one!

And the Bengals helmets, it looks like they let a 5 year old design their helmets.

fansince'76
06-08-2008, 01:10 PM
....the Bengals helmets, it looks like they let a 5 year old design their helmets.

Funny thing is, I remember when they switched to the tiger stripes back in 1981 - a LOT of people joked about it and remarked how ugly they were. However, the tiger stripes were still an improvement over their old helmets (basically a Browns helmet with "BENGALS" stenciled on the side).

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I remember as a really young kid, there was just something ....special...about the Steelers helmets. I can still remember the feeling that I would get looking at football cards and at the Franco Harris poster on my bedroom wall. It was a combination of toughness and mystique....thinking about it still makes me nostalgic.

I have to put the Rams helmets up there (first team to paint emblems on their helmets)...also like the Texans...Jaquars...Broncos... and Raiders in no particular order.

19ward86
06-08-2008, 02:34 PM
iowa barnstormers?

revefsreleets
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I agree with a lot of the old school sentiment, especially the Pats. Bengals '81-present? WTF? They look like something the XFL would reject. Awful. I like the old Falcons helmets, old Cards, old Rams, old Fins, old Chargers, et al...

SteelersMongol
06-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes I agree, the Redskins helmet is nice.

Bengals helmet made it, and Vikings didn't? Vikings helmet is way better than the Bengals.

Then again, our helmet is awesome. :helmet: I remember when I was watching pro-football the first time in 1996, the Steelers helmet, logo and the players stood way out. :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-08-2008, 11:50 PM
I remember the first time I realized our helmet had the emblem on only one side. I was quite confused and asked my Grandpa if they just forgot to put it on the other side.

Steelman16
06-09-2008, 03:25 AM
MJD is a complete moron, but I might have to bump his status down to educated idiot.

My kudos and compliments to him for the best post of his life! :drink: :thumbsup: :tt02:

LOL RB - I remember asking my dad the same exact thing when I was youngster watching my Steelers for the first time....

X-Terminator
06-09-2008, 04:36 AM
iowa barnstormers?

They are an arena league team, now playing in the AF2 spinoff league. They are famous because that is the team that produced Kurt Warner.

http://www.theiowabarnstormers.com/

Steeldude
06-09-2008, 05:19 AM
here is a website showing the different team helmets worn in the NFL, CFL, AFL, USFL, WLAF and so on.

http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm

Pittsburgh Maulers

http://www.misterhabs.com/usfl_files/USFL_Maulers_2.gif

Dino 6 Rings
06-09-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

I use this site for my helmet information, except for Steelers cause the jackhole refuses to turn the helmet around and show the logo on the correct side.

Anyway, I don't think the Rams or Packers should count cause neither are original to their team. Packers took their logo from Georgia, and the Rams from another College team, Colorado State. Pretty sure they were first. Anyway...I love helmets, check out Pittsburgh State, Kansas. Its Script Pitt and they are called the Gorillas. Great name. Great sight.

Godfather
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't care for the Skins helmet. The color combination is ugly and the logo is a grotesque caricature.

Gold looks good with black, green, or purple, but terrible with red.

millwalldavey
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
here is a website showing the different team helmets worn in the NFL, CFL, AFL, USFL, WLAF and so on.

Pittsburgh Maulers

WOOOOHOOOO! That was my avatar for a long tme on here!

Hypocycloid
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
What is the deal with the orange Hypocycloid? I saw this written up somewhere, maybe the Steelers official site on the history. Either this guy used this same info to perpetuate this misinformation or he is also color blind as well. I remember seeing the Steel logo on buildings and objects when I was a kid and it was clearly red. (If this were actually orange, then I am proud to be an American and show it every time I salute the orange, white, and blue).

There is also another color in the logo that does not appear on the rest of the uniform and that is grey. The white discs that has "Steelers" and the three hypocycloids is surrounded by a grey border.

Another thing that I also think is a fact is the that the Steelers I believe have the most colorful uniforms in the NFL, that is there is no other team that has more colors on the uniforms. (I think the Colts have the least with two colors). The Steelers have 6 colors: black, yellow, white, red, blue, and grey. Can anyone think of another one that has 6 colors?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Another thing that I also think is a fact is the that the Steelers I believe have the most colorful uniforms in the NFL, that is there is no other team that has more colors on the uniforms. (I think the Colts have the least with two colors). The Steelers have 6 colors: black, yellow, white, red, blue, and grey. Can anyone think of another one that has 6 colors?

Baltimore has six colors in their shield logo if you count the two different shades of gold.

http://baltimore-maryland.org/history/baltimore-ravens-shield-logo.png

SteelersMongol
06-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Pittsburgh Maulers

The site you've posted is making my firefox freeze. :noidea:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

I use this site for my helmet information, except for Steelers cause the jackhole refuses to turn the helmet around and show the logo on the correct side.

Nice link. Really enjoyed it. :hug: I think I'll have the Steelers history helmets draw by my brother & print it & frame it, since it shows only the left side.

BTW, that jackhole :chuckle: explained why he wouldn't post our helmets by the correct side. But I agree with you. It's just not right.

Steeldude
06-10-2008, 01:59 AM
The site you've posted is making my firefox freeze. :noidea:

that is odd. no problem, the site dino posted is identical.

KeiselPower99
06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Nothing beats the Steelers helmet!!!!!!

SteelersMongol
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
that is odd. no problem, the site dino posted is identical.

It is working now. :applaudit: Don't know what was wrong before.

BTW, does anyone have a web with all jerseys?

Tankus_Maximus
06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
It's true, the Steelers helmet is the best in sports.

It just goes to show how the Steelers are a small-market team, they're so tight with $$ that they could only afford one logo per helmet! :tt02:

rich4eagle
06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Great thread and great lead post and something I always admired the Steelers with the logo on only one side and unique logo at that. The other team whose helmet I admire is the Browns because they decided way back when the were great they didn't need no stinking logos and so far they have had the guts to stick with that.

I hope nothing ever changes on either helmet.....sumtimes tradition is way greater than glitz