PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Michael Strahan Retires

HughC
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Coming off Super Bowl win, Strahan to retire (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8225886/Coming-off-Super-Bowl-win,-Strahan-to-retire)

The New York Giants will begin their road to a defense of their Super Bowl title when mini-camp begins on Wednesday. That defense, however, will be attempted without the services of their team leader, Michael Strahan.

Strahan, 36, has told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has decided to retire.

After a lengthy and for Strahan up-and-down decision-making process, Strahan said he's hanging up the cleats and wanted to finalize a decision before his teammates gathered for their mini-camp. For months, fans, other players, and his own teammates have wondered whether he would return or not.

"It was important that my teammates knew which way I was going before they got on the field to start the work to defend our title," the team's all-time sack leader said from California. "It's time. I'm done."

Strahan finally made up his mind a week ago, but wanted to take the extra days to make sure his feeling on the matter was 100 percent.

He has long believed retirement was the route he would choose but the finality of it gave him problems. In the past two years, Strahan said he has spoken with many high-profile retired players and asked for their advice on retired life, the emotions of the decision and how they knew they were done. The one consistent theme was this: Once you're done, it's forever. Thus, the finality was what posed the biggest problem for Strahan in making the ultimate decision.

"It's a tough decision but I wanted to be fair to the Giants and fair to my teammates," he said.

He leaves the Giants as the team's all-time quarterback sack leader and a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer. He also leaves after having donned the Blue and White more than any player in Giants history.

The news caught Giants coach Tom Coughlin off guard:

"I'm just finding out about it; let me get organized," Coughlin said after a team offseason workout.

fansince'76
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Best of luck to Strahan. :drink:

The Duke
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
a giants leader and a great player. he fueled them in their super bowl run, and we all can thank him for contributing to the pats imperfection

good luck strahan :cheers:

revefsreleets
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Hmmmmm...maybe he should have retired before the draft, and maybe he should have told his coach first.

Hannity_on_Holmes
06-09-2008, 04:15 PM
i totally agree with revefsreleets. But it isnt like their front four aren't already great. they got Tuck, Umenyiora*, and someone else who is probably good.

decisions like that take a lot of thought. cause you can't come back from retirement without looking like a dimwit (thats right farve im lookin at you)

as a new yorker i cant help but idolize strahan. he sent shivers down brady's spine and I loved every second of it.

Dino 6 Rings
06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Just one less person for our oline to block next year. Glad you got your ring to go along with your sack record. Enjoy being on the NFL network.

Galax Steeler
06-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Good luck and thanks for the memories strahan.:drink:

TackleMeBen
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
a giants leader and a great player. he fueled them in their super bowl run, and we all can thank him for contributing to the pats imperfection

good luck strahan :cheers:
:iagree:

missedgehead
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Well, he was one of my favorite members of that defense and that team. I was happy to see him retire with a ring like John Elway and the Bus. I will miss him. One of the best in the biz. Good luck Mike.

Tankus_Maximus
06-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Now, would you please get that damn gap in yer teeth fixed?????!!!!!

ChronoCross
06-16-2008, 03:27 AM
they may have tuck and all but there was no better leader on that team when strahan was in the game for the giants. It showed everytime strahan was out, they lost more then they won with strahan gone. To loose a leader like that on defense who even gave there offense even ump on the sidlines is a big loss. He will be missed by the giants.