PDA

View Full Version : Dizzying week doesn't deter Steelers QB Dixon

paw-n-maul-u
06-10-2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_571850.html

A lot of people knock the dixon pick, but if he develops into a solid backup QB for the future then that alone was worth a fifth rounder. A lot of the late cowher picks were throw aways, a solid backup QB to develop behind a franchise QB who has STILL never started all 16 games in a season entering his 5th year ... well, that isn't a bad pick.

--Hasselbeck yielded a third round pick and the packers got to move up 7 spots in the 1st round of draft

--The falcons got a good deal with Shaub (although they couldnt plan for Vick's incarceration)

thoughts?

BettisFan
06-10-2008, 12:44 AM
it would be awesome when Ben is done in a long time if Dixon could take over and produce

Galax Steeler
06-10-2008, 05:45 AM
I hope he can prove he can play at the nfl level with the injury he had in college and make us a good back up that we need.

Steeldude
06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
he isn't doing too well, from what i have read(short comments from camp). it looks like his inability to throw accurately and his poor field vision are killing him. can anyone say "kordell"?

IMO, he was a complete waste of a pick as a QB. he is a running QB who cannot throw. how many of those have done well in the NFL? i would rather have a veteran QB who knows how to play in a pro-set offense, as the backup.

revefsreleets
06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I know your "schtick" is the contrarian view, but all accounts have DD as a pocket passer who can also run, and he only has accuracy issues when he tries to throw without planting or across his body. I'd be interested to see these "camp notes" that show he's not doing well. He tossed 20 TD's to only 4 INT's last year, and those aren't signs of inaccuracy. I also thought this was interesting from the above article:

"Nobody in the draft process questioned his arm strength, vision, instincts, accuracy or running ability. He was considered a first-day quarterback prospect prior to his injury, which translates into a guy that can come in and play this season," Sperbeck said. "The only question for teams was how soon he was going to be able to contribute, based upon his knee injury."

Mosca
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
You know what? Looking ahead a few years, he might be the kind of guy who we can parlay into a higher pick, maybe even a #1 if someone is desperate for someone who can come in and start right away. It would be nice to come into the draft after a year where we went deep into the playoffs, or even won the ring, with a high AND a low first round pick.

tony hipchest
06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
--Hasselbeck yielded a third round pick and the packers got to move up 7 spots in the 1st round of draft

--The falcons got a good deal with Shaub (although they couldnt plan for Vick's incarceration)

thoughts?i think it was a great value pick with very little to lose. value because he was downgraded only for injury (carson palmer seems to be fine after his shredded knee) and value because its a quarterback which is a position that can turn into a teams most valuable player.

one needs to look no further than the packers to see a team that understands qb value.

they traded for brett favre who was not only their most valuable player for all these years, but also the leagues most valuable player for 3 seasons.

they had hasselbeck who brought much value to the seahawks.

at one point aaron brooks was the most valuable saint.

mark brunell became the jaguars best player.

hell, they even had kurt warner who was league and sb MVP and about as valuable as marshall faulk.

they saw the value of aaron rogers falling to them and jumped on it.

they did the same with brian brohm.

theres definitely something to be said for this strategy, especially if youre turning out qb's like the steelers do linebackers.

i understand people have thoughts of tee martin, b. st. pierre, and omar jacobs swimming in their heads, but atleast now we have a qb's coach worth mention...

Steeldude
06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I know your "schtick" is the contrarian view, but all accounts have DD as a pocket passer who can also run, and he only has accuracy issues when he tries to throw without planting or across his body. I'd be interested to see these "camp notes" that show he's not doing well. He tossed 20 TD's to only 4 INT's last year, and those aren't signs of inaccuracy.

most, if not all, of the draft reports i have read comment on dixon's inaccurate arm. i don't see dixon as a pocket passer who can also run, while running a spread option in college. i don't see 20 TDs and 4 INTs in a spread option proving accuracy. i can't recall any QBs who ran a spread option in college that did well in the pros. so far vince young sucks as predicted.

the camp notes, which i said were short comments, will have to be searched. it was in a pay-site article. i will ask my friend to send me them. the brief comments are scattered in various blogs from camp writers. they were basically on dixon missing open WRs/taking off running before searching the field and inaccuracy.

let's take a look at dixon's 2006 college stats. in that season he threw for 12 TDs/14 INTs. those aren't signs of accuracy.

i wouldn't say my view is contrarian. the majority of people note his inaccuracy :smile:

19ward86
06-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I hope that we can use dixon like the seahawks use wallace, mostly a backup QB but can come in at WR or even as a return man and play football.

fansince'76
06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
most, if not all, of the draft reports i have read comment on dixon's inaccurate arm.

Unfortunately, yep:

Throws with poor mechanics and inaccurate in placing his passes. Forces the ball into covered receivers and waits on the timing passes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/4752.html

Sounds like another Kordell to me. Thank God we actually have a legit QB this time around and we won't be forced to start him because every other QB on the roster sucks even worse than he does.

revefsreleets
06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
2006 can be explained away because he didn't understand his OC, nor did he effectively communicate with him. Since I LOVE quoting sources, away we go:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/dennis-dixon?id=748#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis
Long analysis under the second tab, but addresses many of the aforementioned issues

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/504682
"One of the most mobile passers to play at the university, few quarterbacks in school history displayed the explosiveness or versatility of Dixon. He demonstrated the physical gifts consistent with "special" players and possesses a great arm, erasing the misconception that his passing skills were marginal compared to his running ability."

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/86999/
His athletic ability is not the whole story. During his career, Dixon showed great judgment in the pocket, especially in his final season (67.7 percent completion percentage). This was likely the result from a better relationship with new offensive coordinator Chip Kelley, who looked to involve Dixon in the offense more. He had good touch on his short-to-midrange throws, which breaks a string of recent running quarterbacks who can't pass the ball.

bigmaq
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Charlie, although we love his character and consistency, is getting older and I'll bet he would be the first to acknowledge. Ben, a premier QB who could surpass both Belicheat's mini-me and P Manning, will rarely complete every game in every season. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a back-up who is not named St. Pierre or played at Akron. In spite of my misgivings about Kordell as a starter, he would have made a superb change-of-pace backup. Because of their ages and expected tenure we do not need an eventual replacement for Ben, but, for Charlie. Dixon, by all accounts, is superior as a QB to some of the other "athletic QBs" - Young, T Jackson, etc. and he does not lack for height as with Seattle's Wallace. The only question is his injury. But, both Palmer and the schmuck from San Diego are starting QBs playing on seriously torn ACLs.

steelreserve
06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
he isn't doing too well, from what i have read(short comments from camp). it looks like his inability to throw accurately and his poor field vision are killing him. can anyone say "kordell"?

IMO, he was a complete waste of a pick as a QB. he is a running QB who cannot throw. how many of those have done well in the NFL? i would rather have a veteran QB who knows how to play in a pro-set offense, as the backup.

This is exactly why I keep saying we didn't draft him to play QB. Or, more accurately, to sit on the bench at QB. That would be a waste of a pick and we'd have known it going in. He'll still be great to bring in for deception and stuff along those lines.

Rhee Rhee
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
i want to keep dennis dixon..

if he does turn out to be a matt schaub with teams begging for his services i hope and pray he stays... i realize we could get a first or second round pick for dennis dixon IF he turns out to be very good but finding a solid backup QB is VERY hard...

we were very lucky to have charlie batch backup BR the past few years and he has won his fare share of games...

finding a backup QB is no easy task just ask all the teams who had their seasons ruined because their starting QB went down... (Rams, jets, cards)

remember in the 2001 AFC championship game when we played the patriots, we knocked brady out of the game but bledsoe being the good backup QB (well actually ex-starter but he was the backup so it doesn't matter) led the patriots and churned out a few first downs in relief of tom brady...

backup QBs are valuable with the rise of huge linebackers/DE that hit like trucks: shawne merrimen, demarcus ware, osi uymenoyra, aaron kampman, jared allen...

the need to have a solid backup QB is ever rising and seeing as though BR hasn't started all 16 games in his entire career and SOME have even labeled him "injury prone" having a backup QB is a necessity no matter who it is...

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-11-2008, 12:07 AM
I thought Dixon was gonna be a WR and kick returner. Wasnt he some kind of freak athlete that is gonna be the next Randle El or Josh Cribbs???

IF thats the case, who cares if he is an accurate passer.