PDA

View Full Version : McNabb shut down with shoulder tendinitis

HughC
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
From the Eagles' web site (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15562)

Quarterback Donovan McNabb is out for today's Passing Camp practice and will most likely miss the remainder of the week due to a case of shoulder tendinitis. Head coach Andy Reid will address the media on the situation when practice concludes today.

McNabb admitted on Monday after his limited activity in practice that he had been experiencing some kind of discomfort when he was asked if he was worred about his arm and he replied, "No. I know it will get better."

Kevin Kolb, who took the majority of the repetitions during Monday's practice, will again work with the first-team offense in practices today through Thursday, when this June passing camp concludes.

McNabb had been the target of speculation regarding his shoulder since the post-draft camp, and the issue seemingly was not an issue as recently as last week when offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg raved about the quarterback's zip and accuracy during Thursday's practice.

However, the discomfort is enough to take some precautionary action. Reid will update the situation early this afternoon.

For most players I would say no big deal, but given McNabb's health issues the last few years, this could be a big cocern for Iggle fans.

On top of that, big money free agent Asante Samuel has hamstring problems (http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/Daily;jsessionid=KN4fLHPTsB5tnZJGqxm0zN72hQc8ylb4H hslghvDyvwmn5c4WywG!-1080314638?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FDCT%2FSports&r21.content=%2FDCT%2FSports%2FTopStoryList_Story_2 156457).

Andy Reid's denials aside, Donovan McNabb is having problems with his throwing shoulder according to a teammate.

"He's looking good," wide receiver Kevin Curtis said after practice Wednesday. "But I think he has a little bit of a sore shoulder."

McNabb had a very un-McNabb like practice Tuesday. More often than not his throws were off-target.

Apparently it's not rust.

At the mandatory minicamp the Eagles shut McNabb down basically for the last two practices.

Afterward Andy Reid denied McNabb's arm or shoulder were sore or injured, explaining that the quarterback was removed from practice because he'd reached the "pitch count" the Eagles had set for him.

McNabb, however, was seen rubbing the arm and houlder as if it was hurt. He appeared to do the same thing Wednesday only with the shoulder.

Almost as distressing is that in the time it takes to run a couple of plays the Eagles lost two players they're counting heavily on to what the organization is calling mild hamstring injuries.

One of the casualties is $60 million cornerback Asante Samuel.

Near the end of practice on the soggy NovaCare Complex fields, which may have contributed to one of the injuries, defensive coordinator Jim Johnson appeared to pantomime Samuel's injury to Reid, the head coach/executive vice president of football operations. Samuel sustained his injury in pass coverage.

For the first time since the Eagles acquired Samuel, they felt pretty good about having a fallback plan - embattled cornerback Lito Sheppard, who has bypassed the voluntary camp.

Meanwhile rookie wide receiver DeSean Jackson tweaked his hamstring going against safety J.R. Reed in a one-on-one drill early in practice.

"I've never had problems with it," Jackson said of the hamstring before adding that the wet field "had something to do with it."

Galax Steeler
06-11-2008, 03:50 AM
How many more years can Mcnabb play in the nfl the man has been around forever kind of reminds you of Steve Mcnair.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Sux to be an Eagles fan this season.

missedgehead
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
That McNabb is something else with his injuries. I feel very bad for him. I hope he can recover. He is a very good QB. It does suck to be an Eagle fan for sure.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
McNabb hurt! Who woulda thunk it?

MACH1
06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Thats something that could bother him all season.

missedgehead
06-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, shoulder tendinitis could be very painful and botherfsome for him all season.

stlrtruck
06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Nothing a cortizone shot won't fix.

Dino 6 Rings
06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
McNabb = McNair at this point. The injuries are too much, Andy Reid looks brilliant drafting a QB early in the 07 draft now.

Dino 6 Rings
06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I also wonder if the real reason McNabb was "shopped" around the league, especially Chicago, was because the Eagles knew he couldn't pass a physical.

Rhee Rhee
06-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Andy Reid looks brilliant drafting a QB early in the 07 draft now.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think the Eagles will be contenders this year with the NFC East being as tough as it is... they have a potent offense and will gain the respect of fantasy football owners but aside from that their's nothing to be glad about...

RoethlisBURGHer
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
McNabb = McNair at this point. The injuries are too much, Andy Reid looks brilliant drafting a QB early in the 07 draft now.

Exactly. A once really good QB who lead his team to a Super Bowl loss and then not long afterwards couldn't stay healthy.