PDA

View Full Version : LeCharles Bentley making a comeback with Browns

HughC
06-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow, I thought this guy was done. Surprised to see him back on the field (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/06/lecharles_bentley_cleared_to_p.html).

Browns center LeCharles Bentley has been cleared by the Browns medical staff to practice in minicamp, which runs today through Thursday, general manager Phil Savage said this morning.

"It's been a long road back for LeCharles," said Savage. "We have to give him a lot of credit for the amount of work and effort he's put into this. To what extent he practices, I couldn't tell you that right now. We're going to try monitor the rehab and help him through it."

Savage said the Browns were excited about Bentley's performance in his physical Monday night -- especially the running drills, which included the 40-yard dash.

"It's obvious from the way he ran the tests that he has been working and that he was prepared for the tests, which was quite a bit different than last fall when we tried to clear him off the physically unable-to-perform list," said Savage. "So he's made a lot of progress, he wants to give it a go and we're willing to do that. We want to do that for him."

The clearance came almost two years after Bentley went down on the first day of contact drills in 2006 training camp with a torn patella tendon. After surgery to repair the tendon, Bentley tore it slightly again and then suffered a staph infection in the left knee that required three more surgeries.

Savage said the Browns needed to be sure Bentley would be safe on the field and that the other players were safe with him on the field.

"This wasn't any kind of personal vendetta against LeCharles, it's just the protocol that's in place," said Savage.

The St. Ignatius and Ohio State product hopes to finally play for his hometown team this year, but Savage said he'll have to find his role on the offensive line and meet the expectations set by coach Romeo Crennel.

"You've got to tip your hat to the fact he really wants to do this," said Savage. "If he can be part of it, obviously it helps us. If not, then obviously the team moves on. We're optimistic his rehab will continue and he's got a chance."

Bentley is a natural center but can also play guard. He might get some work at guard with Ryan Tucker recovering from hip surgery. Bentley showed up for practice with a brace on his knee, but in good spirits.

The minicamp is not open to the public.

In other Browns news:

Safety Gary Baxter took part in individual drills.

Guard Lennie Friedman's wife had a baby Monday, but he did make practice this morning.

Receiver Donte Stallworth and defensive back Brandon McDonald had deaths in the family and weren't at practice. McDonald might miss all three days.

Receiver Joe Jurevicius will not participate in this camp while he continues to recover from knee surgery and a subsequent staph infection.

Receiver Steve Sanders will not participate because of a foot injury.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Dont you have to play at least ONE down with a team...before you can make a COMEBACK with that team?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Dont you have to play at least ONE down with a team...before you can make a COMEBACK with that team?

:noidea:

I'm just happy he's back. Guy deserves to play one down with us as a memeber of the Browns.

Man our O-line just gained more depth. :sofunny:

CanadianSteel
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Bettre hope he's healed....Big Snack will eat him up if they face one another and Bentley has a wonkey knee....

steelymcmatt
06-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Snack will EAT DA up!!!

Preacher
06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I hope he makes it back. Says a lot about the man that he is able to stick it out... though at his age, and with those problems, he may not stick around much longer. However, it sure would be nice for him just to be able to put on the uniform on opening day.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Bettre hope he's healed....Big Snack will eat him up if they face one another and Bentley has a wonkey knee....

If Bentley still has a bum knee by then, no way in hell does he play.

We're good with the current starters on the o-line, but to get a healthy Bentley back would be the cherry on top.

lilyoder6
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
bentley was a very good center coming out of NO.. too bad he has been hit w/ serious injuries since joining the browns

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
bentley was a very good center coming out of NO.. too bad he has been hit w/ serious injuries since joining the browns

It's called being cursed. :banging: 'course you guys wouldn't know anything about that, now would you? ;)

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
He's a Buckeye before a Brown, so I wish him the best. This was really big news around here yesterday...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2008, 12:08 PM
He's a Buckeye before a Brown, so I wish him the best. This was really big news around here yesterday...

He also grew up a Brownies fan too. :).

God bless the guy, he's went through a lot of stuff, and will be awesome to see him take a snap in the nfl.

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 12:55 PM
He also grew up a Brownies fan too. :).

God bless the guy, he's went through a lot of stuff, and will be awesome to see him take a snap in the nfl.

Probably suffered some concussions as a kid or something.

HughC
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, this "comeback" sure didn't last long (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/06/lecharles_bentley_asks_for_rec.html). Would have thought Bentley or his agent would have talked about his expectations and the team's plans first.

Browns center LeCharles Bentley has asked for his release from the Browns and it's been granted, his agent Jonathan Feinsod said this afternoon.

"LeCharles came back to Cleveland to be in integral part of the Cleveland Browns, his hometown team,'' said Feinsod. "Through no fault of the Browns at all, they didn't know if LeCharles was going to come back or not and they moved on with their plans.

"But this is not the same team LeCharles signed with. They have commitments to other players. LeCharles is not ready to be an insurance policy at this point.''

Feinsod stressed that Bentley "did great on his physical and I know the Browns were very impressed. It wasn't anything about his health. He just feels he was not going to play the kind of role here he plans to play in 2008.''

Bentley left the building shortly after noon with a suitcase and was picked up by his mother. He had no comment at that time

"LeCharles' mindset is great,'' said Feinsod. "He had a near-death experience because of a staph infection and now he's completely healthy and ready to resume his All-Pro and Hall of Fame career.''

Feinsod said he has not started talking to other teams yet about Bentley, "but there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to play in 2008 and play at a high level.''

Bentley did say before he left the facility that he'd probably go back to Phoenix, where he has spent the bulk of the past two years rehabbing his surgically repaired left knee.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
he just quit and left the team according to the browns. lecharles has a different story but refused to open up or elaborate to dave haggans (producer of sirius who just got off the phone with him 10 seconds ago).

he says hes healthy and wants to be a steeler for league minimum just to stick it to the browns.

ok, maybe im just hoping with that last part.

St33lersguy
06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
For his sake let's just hope he doesn't get injured AGAIN

j-dawg
06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
yowza... interesting change of events here... not sure how to feel about it.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting that.

I guess he's hoping to be a starter but right now he's behind Hank Fraley and Rex Hadnot on the depth chart and doesn't feel he'd get a fair chance to become a starter on the Browns.

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Listen, I'm actually going to say this and mean it for once:

I'd like to see the Steelers pick this kid up and give him a shot. If freaking Sean Mahan is still penciled in as our starter at C, it sounds like we could use all the help we can get. I'm not sure what this cat is amking, but I think it'd be worth bringing him and giving him a look.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Listen, I'm actually going to say this and mean it for once:

I'd like to see the Steelers pick this kid up and give him a shot. If freaking Sean Mahan is still penciled in as our starter at C, it sounds like we could use all the help we can get. I'm not sure what this cat is amking, but I think it'd be worth bringing him and giving him a look.i believe he signed with the browns for 6 years for $36 mil.

being that he was inactive for the last 2 im positive we can get him cheaper than 6 mil/yr. infact we could probably get him for mahan + dookie money and perhaps a few performance based incentives.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 06:17 PM
he just quit and left the team according to the browns. lecharles has a different story but refused to open up or elaborate to dave haggans (producer of sirius who just got off the phone with him 10 seconds ago).

he says hes healthy and wants to be a steeler for league minimum just to stick it to the browns.

ok, maybe im just hoping with that last part.

DANG IT TONY...

I got so excited I almost pee'd my pants!

NOW STOP IT!

:chuckle:

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
he just gave an interview to sirius. hes 100% and ready to go. he's running 20 40's for conditionning drills. he hasnt scheduled any individual workouts, but can do anything they will throw at him and he asked t. ryan and p. kirwan, "what do they want me to do? Lift weighs? heck, ive never had to do this before"?

tim ryans opinion is that there are 20 teams that could be upgraded by his services.
kirwan told him he would offer him a nice backloaded contract with minimum up front, to protect the club if he coudlnt get through camp.

one problem, they directly asked him if he was eager to get into cam or wait for an injury to happen to another teams starter to increase his stock.

while he didnt say much his answer reflected that this is in his agents hands, meaning he will take it slowly and probably wait...

unless a team with mega cap space still remaining made an knee jerk reaction and gave him an above market deal.

Edman
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow...Cleveland was robbed big time. Either that or it's horrible luck.

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
This isn't Maurice Clarett. If the guys in shape, he has camp plus preseason to get back into form. And, like I said before in another thread, Pro Bowl Centers don't just grow on trees....

Preacher
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
This isn't Maurice Clarett. If the guys in shape, he has camp plus preseason to get back into form. And, like I said before in another thread, Pro Bowl Centers don't just grow on trees....

I absolutely agree.

You know, when I started posting in this thread, I couldn't understand why we would want to bring him in.

Then I found out about his age, he is quite a bit younger than I thought he was.

Then I found out about his injury being fully healed.

Now... I think it would definitely be worth it.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2008, 10:48 PM
If he can pass a physical by the Steelers medical staff, I would love to have him.

But I would want to be sure that he's 100% healed. I am not 100% in belief that he'd be able to make it through an entire season.

However, if I were in his place coming off of what happened to him...I wouldn't want to have to face Big Snack twice a year either.

I remember when this happened, the Browns held an open tryout for centers at their practice facility in Berea, Ohio which is literally 15 minutes down the road from me. My brother played center in high school and I told him that he should go try out. He's a Browns fan, and hell it'd be fun to watch.

His words were, "f--k that, if I won Casey Hampton would eat me in the first quarter and s--t me out at half time!"

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 10:57 PM
If he can pass a physical by the Steelers medical staff, I would love to have him.

But I would want to be sure that he's 100% healed. I am not 100% in belief that he'd be able to make it through an entire season.

is anything 100% certain? the steelers gambled on heath miller coming off an injury.

look at this years draft.

sweed, hills, and dixon, all fel to us (and the steelers were willing to shake the dice) because of injury doubts.

pats and cowboys are favorites because they take a "no balls, no glory" approach.

the steelers taking a serious look at bentley is high risk, high reward but there are defintely ways to limit the risk and maqximize the reward.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM

However, if I were in his place coming off of what happened to him...I wouldn't want to have to face Big Snack twice a year either.

I remember when this happened, the Browns held an open tryout for centers at their practice facility in Berea, Ohio which is literally 15 minutes down the road from me. My brother played center in high school and I told him that he should go try out. He's a Browns fan, and hell it'd be fun to watch.

His words were, "f--k that, if I won Casey Hampton would eat me in the first quarter and s--t me out at half time!"

Wow, you bros a browns fan? Thats gotta be weird when you guys play each other.

if I had any talent as a Browns fan, I'd try out, I'd highly doubt I'd start though, but just to say you played or tried out for the Browns would be something I'd be proud to tell my kids.

As you can tell I've watched "invincible" a lot ;).

RoethlisBURGHer
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
is anything 100% certain? the steelers gambled on heath miller coming off an injury.

look at this years draft.

sweed, hills, and dixon, all fel to us (and the steelers were willing to shake the dice) because of injury doubts.

pats and cowboys are favorites because they take a "no balls, no glory" approach.

the steelers taking a serious look at bentley is high risk, high reward but there are defintely ways to limit the risk and maqximize the reward.

Sweed, Hills, and Dixon are coming off of injuries that guys routinley have come back from. Neither of them were near death or damn near had a limb cut off due to the injury.

Not to mention it isn't going to take them two full seasons to recover and be able to even practice.

Wow, you bros a browns fan? Thats gotta be weird when you guys play each other.

if I had any talent as a Browns fan, I'd try out, I'd highly doubt I'd start though, but just to say you played or tried out for the Browns would be something I'd be proud to tell my kids.

As you can tell I've watched "invincible" a lot ;).

It's not as wierd as you'd think. He's not as rabid of a Browns fan as I am a Steelers fan. It's my (step)dad where things get wierd, because he used to ground me for a week when I was a kid and the Steelers won, so I was a bit releaved when the Browns moved lol.

Invincible, great movie...except that it deals with the Eagles.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-12-2008, 06:23 PM
It's not as wierd as you'd think. He's not as rabid of a Browns fan as I am a Steelers fan. It's my (step)dad where things get wierd, because he used to ground me for a week when I was a kid and the Steelers won, so I was a bit releaved when the Browns moved lol.

Invincible, great movie...except that it deals with the Eagles.

Grounded..Yeesh..Yeah can't blame ya there in regards to the move there bro lol.

Yup, Invincible is one of my top favs. ever. Saw it my Junior year of High School and I could relate to Vince Papale as I felt like I was the underdog on my HS Football team. (I was far from a starter.). I do like some of the igggles players though, Concrete Charlie, Reggie White, and Randall Cunnigham are some of my all time favs. in regards to Football players. Also thought the team that Buddy Ryan had in the late 80's-early 90's was pretty cool as well.