PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rate as the fastest Steelers flameout?

BlastFurnace
06-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Barry Foster - 1,600+ yards for 1 year. Who knows what would have become of him if he hadn't hurt his foot in 1993 and all the injuries that came after.

Kendrell Bell - Great rookie year. Teased us all. After the Browns playoff game...nothing else.

Duce Staley - Really nice beginning to his Steelers career that was essentially over after 7 games his first season. We make fun of him, but he was really good those first 7 games.

Charles Johnson - 1,000 yard season in 1996. Nothing but average after that...maybe the QB throwing him the ball had something to do with it...but...he was out of the leage by age 32 and he wasn't that great in Philly either. I thought he would be a GREAT receiver.

Kordell - I think we all know the story...Icon in 1995 and 1996, very nice year in 1997...then it went downhill...even a decent year in 2001 is remembered as a downer with his game against NE.

I was thinking about this on the way home from work. Who else is there that made us think great things were coming for the long term....but didn't.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 12:00 AM
well kordell cant be the "fastest".

he was making plays in the SB his rookie season. led steelers to AFCCG his 1st year as a starter (97) and his final year as a starter (01) in which he was league mvp runner up.

*flame on*

duce was the perfect replacement for jerome before we really accepted the fact we needed a replacement for jerome. he was going to lead the league in rushing yards had he not got hurt. he looked like he would break barry fosters single season rushing record. it looked like it would be as seamless as dawson replacing webster....

but since we passed on dan FREAKING marino, how bout gabe rivera?

http://andaplayertobenamedlater.blogspot.com/2008/03/all-bust-bowl.html ("The All-Bust Bowl")

Gabriel Rivera - Texas Tech - Pittsburgh Steelers - 1983
A drug addict, he became paralyzed in a drunk driving accident his rookie season. Notable because Pittsburgh fans are upset the Steelers passed on hometown favorite Dan Marino.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I say Kendrell Bell....from rookie of the year to an IR staple in 2 seasons.

Troy Edwards was a close 2nd. He showed some flash his rookie season and then showed pretty quicklly he was a bust.

Edman
06-11-2008, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't put Kendrell on this list. He was actually good until he got hurt.

Kordell was exposed in the 1997 AFC Championship game and never recovered. Yeah, he was good in 2001, but he came back and stunk the following year, forcing the Steelers to go with Maddox. He was merely an average smoke-and-mirrors QB who stunk in the big games, and nothing more.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't put Kendrell on this list. He was actually good until he got hurt.

Kordell was exposed in the 1997 AFC Championship game and never recovered. Yeah, he was good in 2001, but he came back and stunk the following year, forcing the Steelers to go with Maddox. He was merely an average smoke-and-mirrors QB who stunk in the big games, and nothing more.so are you saying he was the slowest flameout? :noidea:

(1997-2001 = 5 yrs.)

who else listed has worn a steelers jersey for more than 7 years?

Preacher
06-11-2008, 02:46 AM
How about Bam Morris. Good year... looks like he is about to be a great addition... and the idiot screws his life up with drugs... and is gone.

Rhee Rhee
06-11-2008, 03:17 AM
gabe rivera.. i heard that he never even played a single down for us...

sad that he became paralyzed afterwards but then again he was drinking while driving... thats a big no-no

Galax Steeler
06-11-2008, 03:25 AM
I would have to say Kendrell Bell he was not all that.

Steeldude
06-11-2008, 08:14 AM
out of that list it would have to be between foster and bell. couldn't be kordell because he was never a flame to begin with.

19ward86
06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
kendrell bell.

ChronoCross
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Duce we knew what we were getting, a soon to be bench warmer anyways, he always got injured..

I would go with Kendrell Bell. Pure god given talent to nothing.

vasteeler
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
out of that list it would have to be between foster and bell. couldn't be kordell because he was never a flame to begin with.

of course he was a flamer....oh sorry you said flame

steelersfanman92
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I have to go with Bell

Mosca
06-11-2008, 11:42 AM
It can't be Gabe Rivera, because he never lit up in order to flame out.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Bam Morris isn't a bad call at all, he was all set to be "the guy" and blew it.

Bell was just another linebacker in a long list of legit stud linebackers, but at running back, Bam was replacing Foster who was the first true stud we had since Franco. So Bam was ready to take up the charge and just got lost.

Also, Didn't Cowher start some QB named Miller or something game 1 in a season who then later ended up going to Chicago and getting busted for a banned substance and hasn't been heard of since. That's a pretty big flame out.

ShutDown24
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Would you consider Eric Green a flame out?

Maybe Maddox to some extent?

missedgehead
06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Probably Bell.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Would you consider Eric Green a flame out?

Maybe Maddox to some extent?

NO,

Not Maddox. Go back and watch his games now without all the hype. He really wasn't that impressive.

VTsteel
06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I personally was most disapointed with Troy Edwards. Sure Kendrell Bell Flamed out faster - the caveat was that injuries did Kendrell in - Troy was simply a bust.

Despite going on to be a first round bust for the Steelers, Edwards was at the time the first player the team drafted from Louisiana Tech since Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw was drafted first overall in 1970. His 27 touchdown catches during his senior year at Louisiana Tech is the most ever in NCAA 1-A history. He also has the record for most receiving touchdowns in a college career with 50. His 140 receptions is the second most in NCAA Division I-A history, two behind Houston's Manny Hazard who had 142 in 1989. His 1,996 receiving yards gained is also the second most in NCAA I-A history, behind Nevada's Trevor Insley who had 2,060 yards in 1999.

In the 1998 season opener versus the University of Nebraska, Edwards had 21 catches for 405 yards. His yardage gained in that game was the most ever by a college wide receiver, a record which has since been broken. [1]

Troy had 61 catches and 714 yds. in his 1st year with us . . . the next two combined 37 catches and 498yds . . . The rest of his career was equally lackluster.

BlastFurnace
06-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Foster was my biggest of them all. I saw some highlights of him from the 1992 Jets game the other day where he put 180+ on them....he had power, speed, and the ability to make people miss. I got hyped up just watching that again, but it also reminded me how fast he fell to earth after injuries set in.

I think the last great game he had for us was the 1994 playoff game against the Browns when he tore them up as well.

What I would have done to have him at full strength in the 1995 Super Bowl against the Cowboys.

BlastFurnace
06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I personally was most disapointed with Troy Edwards. Sure Kendrell Bell Flamed out faster - the caveat was that injuries did Kendrell in - Troy was simply a bust.

Despite going on to be a first round bust for the Steelers, Edwards was at the time the first player the team drafted from Louisiana Tech since Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw was drafted first overall in 1970. His 27 touchdown catches during his senior year at Louisiana Tech is the most ever in NCAA 1-A history. He also has the record for most receiving touchdowns in a college career with 50. His 140 receptions is the second most in NCAA Division I-A history, two behind Houston's Manny Hazard who had 142 in 1989. His 1,996 receiving yards gained is also the second most in NCAA I-A history, behind Nevada's Trevor Insley who had 2,060 yards in 1999.

In the 1998 season opener versus the University of Nebraska, Edwards had 21 catches for 405 yards. His yardage gained in that game was the most ever by a college wide receiver, a record which has since been broken. [1]

Troy had 61 catches and 714 yds. in his 1st year with us . . . the next two combined 37 catches and 498yds . . . The rest of his career was equally lackluster.

The funny thing for me about Troy was that I was unbelievably p1ssed at Donahoe for picking him over Jevon Kearse....who ended up being one of the biggest, fastest "Riches to Rags" flameout stories of that draft. Troy played better than I thought he would the first year. He had talent, but an attitude that would not allow that talent to flourish for the long term.

slashsteel
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Bell and Kordell both showed a lot of promise. But Bell flamed out quicker due to injury. So I will have to go with Bell.

steelwall
06-11-2008, 07:22 PM
A .Jackson ........hands down.... but the list could be alot longer.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I gotta put the word out again for Bam Morris.

he was a bright flame... only to crash and burn...

Playing behind Pegram... he still had over 500 yards... and 9 tds. he was ready to step it up.

then, in the space of only a few months... he crash and burned... and was cut from team.

steelwall
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I gotta put the word out again for Bam Morris.

he was a bright flame... only to crash and burn...

Playing behind Pegram... he still had over 500 yards... and 9 tds. he was ready to step it up.

then, in the space of only a few months... he crash and burned... and was cut from team.

Very true....I still remember ole' Bam Bam.....

BlastFurnace
06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
What does everyone think about Earl Holmes's legacy in Pittsburgh? He started for 4 years. I thought he would be better...longer than he was. I really thought he would pick up where Levon Kirkland left off and run with it, but he didn't. What's your opinioin of him?

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
What does everyone think about Earl Holmes's legacy in Pittsburgh? He started for 4 years. I thought he would be better...longer than he was. What's your opinioin of him?i always liked him and lee flowers, but they shown to be replaced at the right time.

they were never horrible, just decent, and age coupled with free agency caught up with them.

Steel Pit
06-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Neil O'Donnell is the best example of the fastest Steelers flameout.

Leads the Steelers to the playoffs in the 1992 season, eliminated in the divisional round.

Leads the Steelers to the playoffs in the 1993 season, eliminated in the AFC Championship game.

Leads the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX in the 1994 season, they lose the Super Bowl.

1995, Neil is no longer with the Steelers.

This guy led the Steelers one step further into the playoffs for 3 consecutive seasons, ultimately reaching the Super Bowl, and then he was GONE!

That ladies and gentlemen, is in every sense of the word, a flameout.

There are many players listed in this thread that only played a few games or maybe a year with the Steelers. Well heck, those guys were never on fire, how can they be defined as a flameout? Some of them didn't even produce heat.

MDSteel15
06-12-2008, 11:02 PM
gabe rivera.. i heard that he never even played a single down for us...

sad that he became paralyzed afterwards but then again he was drinking while driving... thats a big no-no

Rivera is definately the pick! He played the first 6 games when he started to pick up speed and then he had his wreck ending his career. Can you imagine we passed up Dan Marino for him? So sad.....:noidea:

MDSteel15
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
There are many players listed in this thread that only played a few games or maybe a year with the Steelers. Well heck, those guys were never on fire, how can they be defined as a flameout? Some of them didn't even produce heat.

You obviously didn't look at Barry Foster's stats!

Steel Pit
06-13-2008, 05:41 AM
You obviously didn't look at Barry Foster's stats!

I don't need to look at Barry Foster's stats, I watched him play and I'm fully aware of the job that he did for the Steelers. I did not say that ALL of the players mentioned in this thread were never on fire, I mentioned that MANY of the players listed in this thread were never on fire.

You obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

Rhee Rhee
06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Rivera is definately the pick! He played the first 6 games when he started to pick up speed and then he had his wreck ending his career. Can you imagine we passed up Dan Marino for him? So sad.....:noidea:

just imagine. we would've been known as like the QB team... bradshaw, marino, roethlisberger and at one point in time Unitas...

millwalldavey
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd hafta go with Troy Edwards. We've drafted some hyped recievers who never amounted to much, no?

MDSteel15
06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't need to look at Barry Foster's stats, I watched him play and I'm fully aware of the job that he did for the Steelers. I did not say that ALL of the players mentioned in this thread were never on fire, I mentioned that MANY of the players listed in this thread were never on fire.

You obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

Look flatfoot, I can read and was just stating that Foster's case was more of a flameout than O'Donnel since Neil left for money, NOT because he was injured or finished! His case is what I figure most the people on here are considering as flaming out :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
06-15-2008, 07:51 PM
just imagine. we would've been known as like the QB team... bradshaw, marino, roethlisberger and at one point in time Unitas...

Add Len Dawson to the list. As for being a flame out Id go with Burress Kris Farris or Zeroue.

MDSteel15
06-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Didn't we also have YA Tittle at some point? and Ted Marchibroda? and Bobby Lane? and Earl Morrall?

Steel Pit
06-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Look flatfoot, I can read and was just stating that Foster's case was more of a flameout than O'Donnel since Neil left for money, NOT because he was injured or finished! His case is what I figure most the people on here are considering as flaming out :thumbsup:

Flatfoot, lmao, :laughing:. That was good dude, so good that I won't even retaliate.