PDA

View Full Version : What Steeler were you completely wrong about when he was signed / drafted ?

BlastFurnace
06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Hines Ward - I thought he was going to be really average when we drafted him. When we signed him to a new contract right before the 2001 season, I thought to myself..."Typical, safe Steelers signing". Needless to say, I was completely wrong about Hines. I absolutely love the guy.

Alan Faneca - I wanted the "sexy" pick. After Yancey left, I wanted the home-run hitting receiver, or a RB to compliment JB. When the Faneca pick was made....I was very disappointed and thought..."ok..we are just playing safe now". Wrong again. I would love to have a young Faneca now.

Heath Miller - When the rumors were swirling that the Steelers wanted Miller if he fell, I was praying...hoping...that someone would take him before us. I had visions of Mark Bruenner in my head and it made me ill thinking we would draft someone #1 to block. Not only was Miller great in 2005, but I am convinced now that he is a top 5 TE in football.

Carnell Lake - "College Linebacker being converted to Safety"...I thought..."No way". IMO, Carnell is the 2nd best safety in our franchise's history. I couldn't have been more wrong.

fansince'76
06-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I was dead wrong about the Bus - I honestly wasn't expecting anywhere near what we got out of him when we picked him up from the Rams.

Hammer Of The GODS
06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I would have to say Troy P. With all the rumors about his multiple concussions I thought he might be destined for IR. Couldn't be happier that I was wrong. :applaudit:

GO BURGH!

MACH1
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
John Kuhn, the future hall of famer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I thought McFadden was a reach. He was something like the 11th cb taken in the 2nd round and he was getting burnt by Matt Jones in the Senior Bowl big time.

He's performed better, but I said he would be nothing more than a nickel back and I hope he proves me wrong this year.

I wanted Justin Miller that year.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Hines Ward- When we signed him to a new contract right before the 2001 season, I thought to myself..."Typical, safe Steelers signing". Needless to say, I was completely wrong about Hines. I absolutely love the guy.
im pretty sure it was a postgazette article comparing this signing (at the time) to the pirates giving jason kendall $60 mil.

redst3
06-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Tie: Jeff Hartings and Kimo Van Olhofen---couldnt figure out why we needed worn out Lions or Bengals.

Honorable Mention: Duce Staley---Finally we had a REAL Running Back- thanks for the healthy 8 games, dude.

Galax Steeler
06-11-2008, 03:29 AM
I would have to say Duce the way he played in philly and then turned out to be really a bust when he played for us.

Rhee Rhee
06-11-2008, 03:42 AM
how about a player you were completely wrong about when the steelers released him?

joey porter tops my list on that question.

however on back to the main subject i'd say mahan... i actually thought he could become the next great steeler center... follow in the footsteps of hartings.. how wrong was i?...

another one was alonzo jackson back in 2003 i think... a second round pick that turned out to be a MAJOR bust by all accounts... i think if timmons follows in jacksons footseps and doesn't pan out we need to learn not to draft Florida state guys... (im hopin that he will pan out)

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-11-2008, 04:17 AM
1999- Scott Shields...I thought he was going to be a beast at DB...I wasnt even close.

Steel Pit
06-11-2008, 05:56 AM
I was completely wrong about the 7th overall pick in the 1989 draft, Tim Worley. I thought that we had just drafted the next Jim Brown. Boy ole boy, the Steelers and I both effed that one up, BIG TIME!

Aussie_steeler
06-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Jamain Stephens 1996 first round. Thought he could be a dominant tackle but just disappeared much like Scott Shields.

The_WARDen
06-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I was completely wrong about someone they didn't draft. I wanted them to draft Chad Pennington because I was tired of the failed Kordell Stewart experiment.
They drafted Plexiglass instead which annoyed me to no end.

Looking back it was a blessing in disguise, by not drafting Pennington...it enabled them to draft a much better QB in Ben.

SteelersMongol
06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Duce Staley 4 sure. I still don't understand what went wrong with him when V started playing in 2006.

19ward86
06-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Ben Roethlisberger. MAC quarterback, even though the MAC is known for a passing offense i wasnt sure if the competition was enough. I was way wrong.

Steeldude
06-11-2008, 10:08 AM
i was wrong about polamalu and his concussions. i didn't doubt his ability, just his health.

who was i right about? kordell stewart (that was way too easy)

2008 pick i will be right about is dennis dixon. he will never be worth anything as a QB in the NFL.

Glace
06-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I was really excited about Alonzo Jackson...but wow....what a complete waste.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I was shocked at Santonio Holmes and how quickly he became a playmaker at the NFL Level. I'd seen him at OSU but never thought he'd be "the guy" and he has been proving me wrong since he got a chance to play. The big "hello" being the slant pass catch run for TD against the Bengals knocking them out of the playoffs in the 06 season. I loved that and he was very welcome for me after that.

A bust I thought would be good has to be Mahan. I understood he wasn't a natural center but he won the position over Chuck O last off season so I figured the guy had to be a stud since he beat out the guy that was supposed to get the job after being groomed for it for years. Turns out Chuck O just sucked so bad that a guy like Mahan was the last resort in filling out the center position.

Hopefully we've got that all settled now and the O-line for the Steelers will be my 2008 Come back Player of the Year.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I was wrong about Sean Mahan, I thought he'd at least be decent.

Lord Stiller
06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Ben Roethlisberger

I was hell bent on us drafting Dunta Robinson (he went right before us) I didnt know much about Ben and was kinda disappointed

CargoJon
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I was mad we didn't take Larry Johnson the year we picked Troy P. I believe we even traded our pick to/from KC who got him. While LJ is good, Willie has become a great RB to carry on the Bus's torch (and Mendenhall has potential as well.)

I was also geared up about the Duce Staley signing, but that blew up in our face.

slashsteel
06-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Jeremy Staat for me. I thought he would develop into a good one, even though he was a one year wonder in college. Changed my whole way of thinking (when it comes to the draft) after he bombed.............

steelwall
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Korllsmelluptheplace.... I was actually right about that one, I knew he'd never make it as a passer, and just didn't fit our system.

redst3
06-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Staat may have been the worst Steeler I ever saw. No only did he fail to do ANYTHING of significance but he was the guy that jumped offsides when the Browns beat the Steelers in 1999 in the second game. That cost the Steelers the game.

....and I know about his later service and respect that a lot...but the guy sucked.

I also agree about Holmes, he's turning into quite a player aftre the bad start in his rookie camp...

BlastFurnace
06-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Staat may have been the worst Steeler I ever saw. No only did he fail to do ANYTHING of significance but he was the guy that jumped offsides when the Browns beat the Steelers in 1999 in the second game. That cost the Steelers the game.

....and I know about his later service and respect that a lot...but the guy sucked.

I also agree about Holmes, he's turning into quite a player aftre the bad start in his rookie camp...

Worst Steelers I have ever seen that started:

Mark Malone - I never thought he would be any good.
Sam Washington - he was the Elvis "Toast" Patterson, before Elvis ever took the field.
John Wittman - Loyal Steeler who loved the team. Stunk as a FB.
Sean Mahan - See 2007 performance.
Travis Davis - one of the worst FA signings ever by the Steelers
Donnell Woolford - possibly the worst FA signing of them all.
Kent Graham - Why the Steelers ever signed him, I have no idea. This was one of the only times I think the Steelers legitimately went the "Cheap" route.

redst3
06-12-2008, 03:05 AM
It seems like I recall Sam Washington making some plays here and there in 1984. Didnt he have a couple of interceptions in the Bengals Monday Night game that year???

Woolford and Grahm were sinking pretty low.

Mosca
06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Some folks are posting people thaT they knew WOULDN'T make it, and didn't, not the other way around...

The two that I can think of are, first, Greg Hawthorne. He was supposedly one of those Paul Hornung types; he was going to rush for 1000 yards, but if you asked him to punt, he'd average 45 yards, if you asked him to line up as a linebacker he'd intercept a screen pass, stuff like that. Unfortunately, no one ever asked how much fire burned inside him, and the answer was, none.

And second, Duce. Living in eastern PA, I got to watch this guy with the Eagles, and he was pretty doggone good. I was secretly thinking about how much better he was going to be with the Steelers' o-line of those years; was was really looking forward to coming in here and crowing. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.

austinfrench76
06-12-2008, 09:17 PM
A UFA that I thought was very "under the radar" and another steal for us was Mike Kudla out of Ohio State. Workout freak but, not worth much apparently.

warddj86
06-12-2008, 09:48 PM
any possible picks from this year we could be wrong about such as limas being a bust, or ryan mundy being a pro bowler

BlastFurnace
06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
any possible picks from this year we could be wrong about such as limas being a bust, or ryan mundy being a pro bowler

I am convinced that Hills will be a bust. I'm biased because of my friend...the Longhorn's fan...who told me that he wasn't that good.

Davis, the OLB, I think could be special.

MasterOfPuppets
06-12-2008, 10:40 PM
chad scott..........:shake02: ...... bein a terp fan, i was stoked when the steelers drafted him. i still believe he would have been a descent safety.

MDSteel15
06-12-2008, 11:26 PM
chad scott..........:shake02: ...... bein a terp fan, i was stoked when the steelers drafted him. i still believe he would have been a descent safety.

BINGO

Steelman16
06-13-2008, 02:28 AM
I was dead wrong about Santo. I didn't think he'd even make it on the team with the supposed red flags and stuff. He's definitely turned out to be a solid reciever...and talk about a making an impact very quickly. Let's hope Limas does the same, and we could have a very potent twosome there.

Big7BenHOF
06-13-2008, 02:49 AM
I was shocked at Santonio Holmes and how quickly he became a playmaker at the NFL Level. I'd seen him at OSU but never thought he'd be "the guy" and he has been proving me wrong since he got a chance to play. The big "hello" being the slant pass catch run for TD against the Bengals knocking them out of the playoffs in the 06 season. I loved that and he was very welcome for me after that.

I pretty much felt the exact same.

atlsteelers
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
as georgia fan, i was happy to see the steelers draft - Fred Gibson - he was a 3rd round pick and did not even make it out of preseason.

Elvis
06-19-2008, 11:07 AM
LB Huey Richardson Florida Gators or
RB Tim Worley Georgia Bulldogs..

I thought that the steelers had hit the jackpot when they drafted Richardson and he was out of Pittsburgh in 3 years I guess.
Tim Worley had a pretty darn good rookie season only to just suck the rest of his short career..
:doh:

BlastFurnace
06-19-2008, 12:32 PM
LB Huey Richardson Florida Gators or
RB Tim Worley Georgia Bulldogs..

I thought that the steelers had hit the jackpot when they drafted Richardson and he was out of Pittsburgh in 3 years I guess.
Tim Worley had a pretty darn good rookie season only to just suck the rest of his short career..
:doh:

Huey Richardson was someone that I thought would dominate. We weren't the only one's wrong about him though. When we got him, Jimmy Johnson really wanted him in Dallas as well.

I remember reading somewhere that the Steelers coaches under Noll were shocked when they saw him in camp....and not in a good way. They realized that they drafted someone who could not play.

I know Huey was a 2nd year guy when Cowher entered into the picture, but many of the Steelers LB's were young at the time too and Cowher was able to mold them. To just cut a 2nd year LB the way Cowher did when he was hired tells you how bad this guy was.

I always thought Worley was too much of a straight ahead runner and too slow. The one RB that I thought would be a special running back that the Steelers drafted #1 was Walter Abercrombie. I figured that he would take over for Franco when he left. I was way wrong on that one.

MDSteel15
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Bad: Charles Johnson, Dookie, and Earnest Jackaon :banging:

Good: Kevin Greene, Farrior and Santonio Holmes :tt03:

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I shoulda put my Troy Edwards comment in here methinks.

Tankus_Maximus
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Bad: Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (thought the "Taxi" would be the heir apparent to The Bus)
Hank Poteat (thought he would be a great return-man....dang...I was wrong)

Good: Hines Ward (my first impression was he was a funny looking kick returner...glad I was wrong)
Ben Roethlisberger: (I first thought he just inherited a great offense around him, now whenever I watch him, I'm reminded of Elway...glad I was wrong there too)

KeiselPower99
06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Coutney Hawkins Kris Farris, Danny Farmer and Omar Jacobs. Hawkins was a decent Reciever in the years we had none. And Kent Graham was a joke replacing Kordell.

BlastFurnace
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Coutney Hawkins Kris Farris, Danny Farmer and Omar Jacobs. Hawkins was a decent Reciever in the years we had none. And Kent Graham was a joke replacing Kordell.

I thought Danny Farmer would be another Ed McCaffrey. When we drafted him, I was thinking that he would fill the role as a possession 3rd down receiver that Andre Hastings was for us for a short period of time. I couldn't believe it when he was cut in the preseason.

Preacher
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Santo Holmes.....

I was happy we drafted him, though not ecstatic...

Then when he started having his offseason issues... I thought "great, the kid is a train wreck."

Well... He sure has done well, both on the field and off the field.

MasterOfPuppets
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Santo Holmes.....

Then when he started having his offseason issues... I thought "great, the kid is a train wreck."

Well... He sure has done well, both on the field and off the field.i too was less than ecstatic over selecting holmes. it had nothing to do with holmes as a player, but the emminent melt down of the OLINE. center, Nick Mangold was still on the board and i felt he was the most logical choice. actually still to this day, i believe we should have taken Mangold. i'm not knocking holmes, but we are experiencing first hand how important, it is, and difficult it is to, find a solid a guy in the middle.

Steel Buckeye
06-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Matt Spaeth. I hated the pick at first but he proved to be an effective blocker and red zone threat. Aside from being hurt for part of the season and inexperience he really impressed me.

millwalldavey
06-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Santo Holmes.....

Well... He sure has done well, both on the field and off the field.

I really wanted Lendale White with that pick.

Boomerang
06-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Matt Spaeth ,i was not sold on him but have now changed my mind i think he is an important part of the roster.

Kaeg
06-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Dallas Baker.......I know it's an early pick, but I can't think of a past one atm. I wasn't thrilled but I'm starting to think he'll prove me wrong still.

NJarhead
06-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Kordell Stewart - Thought he was going to dominate. :banging:

Will Blackwell - Thought he'd be a sleeper and replace Yancy Thigpen....as it turns out, that was just wishfull thinking. :sofunny:

Chris Fu - I think we all believed he'd be special.:noidea:

NJarhead
06-21-2008, 09:57 AM
I really wanted Lendale White with that pick.

So did I. Occasionally, it's nice to be wrong, eh. :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
06-21-2008, 12:39 PM
i too was less than ecstatic over selecting holmes. it had nothing to do with holmes as a player, but the emminent melt down of the OLINE. center, Nick Mangold was still on the board and i felt he was the most logical choice. actually still to this day, i believe we should have taken Mangold. i'm not knocking holmes, but we are experiencing first hand how important, it is, and difficult it is to, find a solid a guy in the middle.

I couldn agree morefinding a solid center is harder then it looks and having the chance at Mangold who is a beast and pasiing him up for Holmes still hurts. Kinda ironic though the guard to his left had he been drafted by us is ow his new left guard with the Jets. Hell at this point ill take Mangolds sis to play center for us.

tony hipchest
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
this seems to be the thread to say chris hope was vastly underrated. i was wrong in thinking tennessee might of overpaid when they signed him.

and for a guy who supposedly couldnt tackle, isnt it strange that in his 1st year as a titan he led all safeties in the league in tackles? (including the likes of polamalu, ed reed, and sean taylor).