PDA

View Full Version : Who would you cut for Lecharles Bentley?

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 01:33 PM
assuming hes 100% and being that he was just released how much would he be worth?

Mahan is a given, but it may mean letting somebody like farrior go.

max starks contract is worth more than what bently was scheduled to make but it is guaranteed :dang:

i think mahan + hartwig would probably amount to his asking price.

Lord Stiller
06-11-2008, 01:37 PM
not sure what the cap looks like (we still have to sign the rookies too)

definitel cut Mahan, he sucks

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Mahan, because cutting someone vital to team success for a guy who could get injured hat easily again is something I wouldn't do.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
our cap situation is such that in order to sign lecharles we would need to cut more than mahan.

we could do just about anything though if we convince hines to restructure and extend.

DACEB
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't understand why we didn't make any cuts already to clear up cap space! Mahan, Dookie and W. Reid should be done here, they should have been cut June 1st.

Any money saved from a release should go toward the D-line. The grass isn't any greener over Bentley's way. The team signed a very good center in Hartwig.

The Duke
06-11-2008, 02:58 PM
cut ben :chuckle: we don't need him and that big contract

I don't understand why we didn't make any cuts already to clear up cap space! Mahan, Dookie and W. Reid should be done here, they should have been cut June 1st.

yep, yep, yep

but....how about foote? timmons seems to be on the right path. though foote is a good player.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
but....how about foote? timmons seems to be on the right path. though foote is a good player.

Foote's going to be given the chance to keep his starting job. He knows the defense and would be a very valuable backup if he loses his job to Timmons.

Dookie should be gone.

Ried will be gone.

Mahan may stick around one more year because cuting him would be a big cap hit on next season's cap from what I have heard.

I don't think Bentley is healthy enough to play center or gaurd right now. He hasn't played in a football game since 2005. He's nowhere near game shape, and he's probally lost a lot of the muscle mass he once had. That is probally why the Browns were going to use him as an insurance policy.

And what exactly did he expect the Browns to do, not find someone capable of playing center? Just wait until he got healthy, IF he got healthy?

And it probally didn't help his standing with the team that he did all his rehab in Arizona. When Winslow had to rehab his injuries, he did it in Cleveland. When Edwards had to rehab his knee injury, he did it in Cleveland.

If I were the Browns paying him $18M to rehab, I woulda made him do it in Cleveland where we could monitor him.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2008, 04:37 PM
best of luck to you guys getting him, as I think he's on the downslide with all the injuries and such.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
06-11-2008, 04:40 PM

The thing about cutting Foote is that you lose a lot of depth at the ILB position. If Foote is gone that leaves Humpal as the first backup on the inside.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
best of luck to you guys getting him, as I think he's on the downslide with all the injuries and such."all the injuries"?

hard to call catching the "cleveland clap" or "brown staph" an "injury".

anyways, i doubt we get him, BUT if no team takes a flyer and he is willing to play for mahan money just to stick it to the browns "i can see him in B & G".

as far as being on the downside, i think hes only 28 years old

Preacher
06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I can't believe the hatred in here for Mahan. Utter foolishness in my opinion.

The man was brought to a new team, assigned to a new position, had something physically wrong with him during the year whereby he lost 20 pounds which is a HECK of a lot of weight to lose in four short months, and is now healthy again.

On top of all that, he was playing with a declining guard on one side (Faneca, and yes... he was and is declining. He will NOT be impressive this year for the Jets) and Simmons on the other, who was just getting back into form after a horrible year the year before.

Beyond all of that, the entire scheme changed from the O line calling their schemes to Ben calling the blocking schemes.

Buy thats right.... Mahan just sucks.

People. A little perspective. Is Mahan Great? Absolutely not. However give it a year or two folks. Goodness, you would think this was a Browns website.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
"all the injuries"?

hard to call catching the "cleveland clap" or "brown staph" an "injury".

anyways, i doubt we get him, BUT if no team takes a flyer and he is willing to play for mahan money just to stick it to the browns "i can see him in B & G".

as far as being on the downside, i think hes only 28 years old

28 or 29, yeah.

Heck... if he was will to come in for the vaunted, ever loved, Steeler fan favorite, VET MINIMUM... sure why not.

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Bowl Centers don't grow on trees, and the other side of the coin is that he's had 2 years off and that's two years of wear and tear that he's been spared.

I say bring him in and see...

Preacher
06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Pro Bowl Centers don't grow on trees, and the other side of the coin is that he's had 2 years off and that's two years of wear and tear that he's been spared.

I say bring him in and see...
I just went and did a bit of reading on this at the Browns board.

It seems that he actually ASKED to be released, because he wants to play this year, and thinks that the position is too deep on the Browns bench for him to get a fair shot.

Least that was the gist of the discussion... that and contract issues.

If he is truly healed, and he is only 28, then yeah, I say make some room for him.

We could sign Starks to a 3 year deal, freeing up a few mill for now. Cut dookie and maybe Foote (though I would love to keep him as a backup). Approach Ward for a re-negot. of his contract as well. That should buy us what, 3-4 million? Bentley signed a 6 year, 36 mill contract with 12 mill in signing bonus last time.

Coming off not playing for two years, I think we could safely offer 3 mill a year for 3 years with all types of incentives to build up to a 5 mill contract. That way, he plays this year and next year, then we resign him if we want, or cut him if we don't need him.

j-dawg
06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Okay, I've had some time to digest... dude gets cleared for practice, than walks outta training camp because he's not happy with his spot on the depth chart.. that shows some great team character. If he's truley ready to go, he shoud have felt no pressure in ousting either Tucker or Fraley on the O-line. All he had to do was prove it in camp. He got 16 million dollars from the Browns and didn't even practice a full day. Every Defense in the NFL will be gunning for that knee, I don't think it was wrong of the orginization to be cautious about his return. He could have worked his way back into a decent offensive system, even find himself contributing on a possible playoff team. I'm sure he still wants pro-bowl money... I think he just made a bad career move.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
We could sign Starks to a 3 year deal, freeing up a few mill for now. Cut dookie and maybe Foote (though I would love to keep him as a backup). Approach Ward for a re-negot. of his contract as well. That should buy us what, 3-4 million? Bentley signed a 6 year, 36 mill contract with 12 mill in signing bonus last time.

Coming off not playing for two years, I think we could safely offer 3 mill a year for 3 years with all types of incentives to build up to a 5 mill contract. That way, he plays this year and next year, then we resign him if we want, or cut him if we don't need him.actually, we with re-doing starks and hines deal we could free up $13 mil worth of space. dookie gone would give $1 mil and foote around 3.

it is realistic, but a longshot, we could replace dookie and mahans salary with bently without having to push any other players and current cap hit into the future.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 06:27 PM
actually, we with re-doing starks and hines deal we could free up $13 mil worth of space. dookie gone would give $1 mil and foote around 3.

it is realistic, but a longshot, we could replace dookie and mahans salary with bently without having to push any other players and current cap hit into the future.

I would think Dookie and Starks would be the two targets.

Dookie gets cut, freeing up competition between Moore, Willie, and Mendenhall to all get some time at RB (willie prob. starting, the other two spelling him).

Starks gets a 3 year contract.

We get another center, and am able to keep Mahan to compete for another position on the line... AND as a backup.

All of a sudden, our line is at least average, with some depth, and that is really all our offense needs at this point.

Rhee Rhee
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
assuming hes 100% and being that he was just released how much would he be worth?

Mahan is a given, but it may mean letting somebody like farrior go.

max starks contract is worth more than what bently was scheduled to make but it is guaranteed :dang:

i think mahan + hartwig would probably amount to his asking price.

lecharles bentley was a top 5 center before he got injured... considering jeff faine got a 6 year $36 million deal from the bucs and seeing how the FA market just overprices even the worst players... i'd say we'd have to give an arm and a leg just to even have a chance at lecharles bentley.. assuming he's 100% its gonna be a lot more than just mahan and hartwig... like u proposed earlier farrior has to be let go to free enough cap space... a lot of dead weight will also need to be let go... i'd say something along these lines:

mahan, hartwig, farrior, mcfadden, and possibly kendall simmons barring the fact that no vet restructures his contract...

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I think there is a lot more going on here than we know about. But I think, outside an issue he had with fellow OSU OL Tyson Walter, there are no major character flaws from Bentley over his whole career.

I hope the Steelers FO at least looks into him.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I think there is a lot more going on here than we know about. But I think, outside an issue he had with fellow OSU OL Tyson Walter, there are no major character flaws from Bentley over his whole career.

Sure would be an early christmas present...

yet... if he wasn't fully healthy, we would be no worse off than we are now.

j-dawg
06-11-2008, 07:07 PM

I agree, there's no way the Browns would have let him go if they thought there was some stock in him still. Maybe he is okay, or maybe he's one hit away from being injured again.

slashsteel
06-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I am not willing to cut valuable players for another O-lineman. Especially one that didn't want to compete to get a start. Yes he was good BEFORE the injury but now he has to prove he still has it. Regardless if he likes it or not. I don't like the circumstances surrounding the release. As you can see Hartwig wasn't handed anything he will have to earn it in camp.

revefsreleets
06-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Dude, pull off the blinders. The Browns are not 1/10th the talent assessors you are giving them credit to be....when i say there's more going on, I'm guessing the Browns slighted the dude in some way and he's not happy about it.

This is, after all, still only the Cleveland Browns.

Preacher
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I am not willing to cut valuable players for another O-lineman. Especially one that didn't want to compete to get a start. Yes he was good BEFORE the injury but now he has to prove he still has it. Regardless if he likes it or not. I don't like the circumstances surrounding the release. As you can see Hartwig wasn't handed anything he will have to earn it in camp.

Valuable?

Dookie? The dude will barely see the field this year.

and renegotiating with Starks to give him a two or three year contract and get us out of that 7 mill cap hit this year... or what ever it is... is FAR from cutting him.

tony hipchest
06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
If Bentley is healthy and in good shape then the Browns wouldnt have released him in my opinion.
:drink:browns took a "dont fix it if it aint broke approach". no need for them to pay $6 mil per year for an insurance policy or back up center.

hell the steelers wouldnt even pay around 3 mil per season for c. okolbi to remain the back up.

the browns just made a safe business decision, cut their ties (and losses), and moved on.

j-dawg
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Dude, pull off the blinders. The Browns are not 1/10th the talent assessors you are giving them credit to be....when i say there's more going on, I'm guessing the Browns slighted the dude in some way and he's not happy about it.

This is, after all, still only the Cleveland Browns.

I don't know, Phil seems to be doing a decent job of getting quality players... :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
06-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't know, Phil seems to be doing a decent job of getting quality players... :noidea:

Time will tell if that is true or not. Seems like they are spending a lot of money on question marks to me. BTW, what is that goofy looking avatar supposed to be? Is that one of the new cornerbacks?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-12-2008, 12:11 AM
BTW, what is that goofy looking avatar supposed to be? Is that one of the new cornerbacks?

CB? Naw, It's Phil Savage.

Galax Steeler
06-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Definetly starks contract need to be redone in order to keep our cap down but to cut a player to sign Bentley I am not sure because he ain't proven.

Kvnfaber
06-12-2008, 07:49 AM
CB? Naw, It's Phil Savage.

haha, Phil Savage is a good guy.

My 2 cents on Bentley.

He is not happy with the Browns and the Cleveland Clinic and he is thinking about pursuing a lawsuit against one of them. He hasn't played in 2 years. He is not ready to step in and be a contributor. He is disgruntled. Sounds like a worthy pickup to me? I think not.

Let our O-Line work together and form some cohesion and hopefully avoid injuries. You don't have to have big named stars on the O-line, you need big uglies that know how to work together and kick some butt, and hopefully stay healthy.

Teamwork > Questionable pro bowlers

Lord Stiller
06-12-2008, 08:20 AM
I can't believe the hatred in here for Mahan. Utter foolishness in my opinion.

The man was brought to a new team, assigned to a new position, had something physically wrong with him during the year whereby he lost 20 pounds which is a HECK of a lot of weight to lose in four short months, and is now healthy again.

On top of all that, he was playing with a declining guard on one side (Faneca, and yes... he was and is declining. He will NOT be impressive this year for the Jets) and Simmons on the other, who was just getting back into form after a horrible year the year before.

Beyond all of that, the entire scheme changed from the O line calling their schemes to Ben calling the blocking schemes.

Buy thats right.... Mahan just sucks.

People. A little perspective. Is Mahan Great? Absolutely not. However give it a year or two folks. Goodness, you would think this was a Browns website.

defending Mahan is utter foolishness

he is garbage, a total disgrace to the Steelers

revefsreleets
06-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I'll say this...POTENTIALLY even an injured not 100% Bentley > Mahan. And, again, Bentley does not have track record of being a selfish guy or not a team player. The guy has been playing football his whole life...taking off a couple years is not going to erode his skills as much as it decreases wear and tear. If he's healthy (and all signs point to him being so), then by all means bring him in. He's a competitor, and I think he'd welcome the challenge to try and make the roster of a team that has a legitimate shot at the playoffs and beyond year after year.

fansince'76
06-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I can't believe the hatred in here for Mahan.

I can - can you say "scapegoat?" Never mind that the OL stunk it up JUST as badly in '06 when he wasn't even around and gave up even MORE sacks than it did in '07.

tony hipchest
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I'll say this...POTENTIALLY even an injured not 100% Bentley > Mahan. And, again, Bentley does not have track record of being a selfish guy or not a team player. The guy has been playing football his whole life...taking off a couple years is not going to erode his skills as much as it decreases wear and tear. If he's healthy (and all signs point to him being so), then by all means bring him in. He's a competitor, and I think he'd welcome the challenge to try and make the roster of a team that has a legitimate shot at the playoffs and beyond year after year.how many years did hartings play on a bum knee? 3-4? i think he went to the pro bowl and anchored the SB line in 05 after he hinted that he might have to retire because of his knee.

unfortunately for him, he was old and it finally caught up to him. bentley coulda easilly stayed with the browns and possibly rode the pine for another year and collect $6 mil. him wanting out tells me he is more concerned with getting on the field than he is with cash.

revefsreleets
06-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure about that. I think his contract was structured for him to only make about 600,000 this year, but it could have increased by as much as 4 million with incentives. My guess is that those incentives would be hard to reach if he was riding the bench. (http://www.ohio.com/sports/19814434.html)

But can you blame him for wanting to leave?

TroysBadDawg
06-12-2008, 01:20 PM
BTW, what is that goofy looking avatar supposed to be? Is that one of the new cornerbacks?

Tell me why is it when some are having a great football conversation, someone always has to throw some smack in it, when no one else is. Do you have nothing better to add?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
haha, Phil Savage is a good guy.

http://www.wkyc.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=90585&catid=8

He is. :) The mans a class act all around, He's been doing all these church functions and such around the area, him and his brother often preach a good message. I'm sorta bummed as I havn't seen either of them yet. He's apparently having Brady "Supercuts Model" Quinn and our Third string Runningback help him out a Christian Music Festival around here,

Makes me proud to have someone like him over in berea, and someone like Jim Tressel in columbus. The World needs more folks like them. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
06-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure about that. I think his contract was structured for him to only make about 600,000 this year, but it could have increased by as much as 4 million with incentives. My guess is that those incentives would be hard to reach if he was riding the bench. (http://www.ohio.com/sports/19814434.html)

But can you blame him for wanting to leave?
i didnt realize he restructured, and didnt even consider his signing bonus lowering his actual paycheck for this season.

perhaps it may be a money grab. a new contract with a whole new team = brand spanking new signing bonus. as per adam schefter, bentley has already said he wants to play guard with his new team and we all know thats where the FA money is at these days (elite left tackles rarely hit the market and centers are the lowest paid line positions).

jjpro11
06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
i think the only cut will be in order to bring in booger mcfarland. i cant see us signing bentley, especially after getting hartwig. but ya never know.

Preacher
06-12-2008, 04:10 PM
defending Mahan is utter foolishness

he is garbage, a total disgrace to the Steelers

Really? He is garbage? I guess it is just ALL his fault right? Well let's just take a little look at the numbers.

2007 06 05 04 03 02 01 00 99 98 97 96 95 94
....47 49 32 36 42 41 26 43 37 35 20 21 24 39

Anyone see a pattern here? Rising number of sacks over a long period of time?

I wonder how Mahan caused all those sacks when he was only on the team for this last year?

There is a FUNDAMENTAL O LINE PROBLEM. It has been there for YEARS. Our o-line was built for one thing.. RUNNING THE BALL. Look at the stats once we got Bettis-- 21 sacks, 20 sacks.. those first two years. We hit the 40's once, and then back to 26.

Now, look at the sack totals once we started throwing the ball. 2002 and 2003. they are BOTH in the 40's. THen, we went back to a run first offense in 2004, and look at the numbers.

2006, we moved back to a balanced offense, and look at the numbers.

People. Stop scapegoating Mahan. He had problems... but we had worse numbers the year BEFORE he came. We have a fundamental problem on this team... and that is a line that is built for the run, and can't pass-protect.

Jeremy
06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Remember when he cried the day he signed with the Browns?

steelymcmatt
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Who would I cut for a guy who quit on his team because he wasn't happy with his place on the depth chart and decided to cut and run instead of working to secure his place on the team.....who refused to play for “just $600K when his team spent MILLIONS on him while he was recuperating…..who was quickly granted his request to be cut…..a guy who hasn’t had contact in 2 years…who will have every Defensive player gunning for his knee…..

How about we cut Jeremy Bloom. Not enough…..guess I’ll have to move on!

Seriously though, if we’re going to start cutting guys, have guys restructure their deals, and everything else, I’d much rather do it for Jason Taylor than for Mr. Bently!

Preacher
06-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Who would I cut for a guy who quit on his team because he wasn't happy with his place on the depth chart and decided to cut and run instead of working to secure his place on the team.....who refused to play for “just $600K when his team spent MILLIONS on him while he was recuperating…..who was quickly granted his request to be cut…..a guy who hasn’t had contact in 2 years…who will have every Defensive player gunning for his knee…..

How about we cut Jeremy Bloom. Not enough…..guess I’ll have to move on!

Seriously though, if we’re going to start cutting guys, have guys restructure their deals, and everything else, I’d much rather do it for Jason Taylor than for Mr. Bently!

Well...

the problem with that is 1. there are too many assumptions that he left for depth reasons and 2. We have depth problems at Center, not LB... which is where he would have to play to be at all effective in our system.

steelymcmatt
06-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Well...

the problem with that is 1. there are too many assumptions that he left for depth reasons and 2. We have depth problems at Center, not LB... which is where he would have to play to be at all effective in our system.

My point is, if we are going to rigamaroo (I think that's the technical term) everything, lets do it for a guy who is a PROVEN impact player who is completely healthy.

Tankus_Maximus
06-13-2008, 11:14 PM
I might cut a fart for a busted Browns center...that's about it.

tony hipchest
06-13-2008, 11:45 PM
How about we cut Jeremy Bloom. Not enough…..guess I’ll have to move on!:chuckle:

I might cut a fart for a busted Browns center...that's about it.:toofunny:

LOL point taken

HometownGal
06-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I can - can you say "scapegoat?" Never mind that the OL stunk it up JUST as badly in '06 when he wasn't even around and gave up even MORE sacks than it did in '07.

A-FREAKIN-MEN!!!! :applaudit::hatsoff:

Steelers fans have to find a scapegoat every season and Mahan was the goat du jour last season. I hope Mahan wins one of the starting G positions and has a kick-ass camp and season so I can serve up the crowburgers around here.

paw-n-maul-u
06-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Steelers fans have to find a scapegoat every season and Mahan was the goat du jour last season. I hope Mahan wins one of the starting G positions and has a kick-ass camp and season so I can serve up the crowburgers around here.

Well no fan that spends enough time to sign up for this site is going to sit back and say "ahh they all tried their hardest it was a good effort ...", sorry, but not everyone gets an "A" for effort.

Mahan stunk last year. That is the bottom line. In fact, he stunk so bad that the steelers biggest offseason signing was, guess?, ... A CENTER. Mahan sucked. period.

Maybe he could be a good guard, he was a decent one in TB, but as a center there, he never had to handle the big nose tackles like they have in the AFC, Ngata, J. Williams, Wilfork. etc ... not to mention all of the other beast DT's that our conference sports ... Stroud, henderson, haynesworth, etc ...

Hoping mahan gets a guard spot means effectively either Kemo was another waste of a pick ... or Simmons boatload of money we gave him last year is another big waste just like Mahan.

Last year I remember hearing someone talk about TC observations and saying how Mahan was handling Big Snack and bullying him around, everyone was stoked about Mahan at center, We even let Okobi go, who never played HALF AS BAD, as that big fat ginger did last year. I'm sorry, but Mahan needs to go.

missedgehead
06-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, it WAS Mahan's first year as center. He was not going to be Mike Webster overnight or Jeff Harting. Ben also was new to calling the protective signals or whatever, sorry, I am a pig on rollerskates when it comes to all the football lingo. LOL I guess we will have to see in TC what shakes out. I am guessing they got Hartwig because they were not happy with Mahan.

As for Bentley, I would not pick him up. He is out of shape, after all, he has not played for 2 years, and sounds like a malcontent. Do not need that.

Texasteel
06-14-2008, 09:14 PM

I hope Mahan has an All Pro year, and makes our line the best in the NFL. If that does happen I will gladly have 2 of the those burgers. I like mine medium, but just in case how do you like yours.

BettisFan
06-14-2008, 11:21 PM
sorry but no one really

Elvis
06-15-2008, 06:13 AM
I think that the switch to center was too much for Mahan and maybe he can play at G but we will just have to wait and see. I just wish that the coaching staff would quit moving everyone around every other day and let them stay in one position and jell there.
:tt02:

fansince'76
06-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Well no fan that spends enough time to sign up for this site is going to sit back and say "ahh they all tried their hardest it was a good effort ...", sorry, but not everyone gets an "A" for effort.

Don't see where anybody said that, but whatever.

Mahan stunk last year. That is the bottom line. In fact, he stunk so bad that the steelers biggest offseason signing was, guess?, ... A CENTER. Mahan sucked. period.

Maybe he could be a good guard, he was a decent one in TB, but as a center there, he never had to handle the big nose tackles like they have in the AFC, Ngata, J. Williams, Wilfork. etc ... not to mention all of the other beast DT's that our conference sports ... Stroud, henderson, haynesworth, etc ...

And the fact still remains that the OL stunk it up big time and gave up even more sacks in '06 than '07 WITHOUT Mahan. Mahan may not have been the solution at center for us, but he's not the entire problem either. There aren't any good DLs whatsoever in the NFC? I think Golden Boy Brady would beg to differ with you after spending this past SB watching his "All-Pro OL" get abused and getting knocked on his ass all night by a few of them.

Hoping mahan gets a guard spot means effectively either Kemo was another waste of a pick ... or Simmons boatload of money we gave him last year is another big waste just like Mahan.

Again, don't see where anybody said that, but whatever. I'm sure everybody hopes that Simmons and Kemo are nothing but big wastes of space just to prove a point about Mahan. I think it's more probable that some hope that they push each other in camp and they all become better players from the competition. Personally, I just want to see the best 11 on the field for us when the offense and defense go out there. If Mahan happens to be one of them on offense, then so be it.

Last year I remember hearing someone talk about TC observations and saying how Mahan was handling Big Snack and bullying him around, everyone was stoked about Mahan at center, We even let Okobi go, who never played HALF AS BAD, as that big fat ginger did last year. I'm sorry, but Mahan needs to go.

It's pretty easy to make that statement with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, isn't it? I don't remember anybody, including you, saying what a big mistake it was in acquiring Mahan last year. And if Okobi's such a good center, why didn't he stick in AZ? It's not like their OL is any great shakes either. Must be great to never be wrong. Don't see how the Rooneys could have ever skipped over your résumé when they hired Colbert. :coffee:

HometownGal
06-16-2008, 06:49 AM
I hope Mahan has an All Pro year, and makes our line the best in the NFL. If that does happen I will gladly have 2 of the those burgers. I like mine medium, but just in case how do you like yours.

Mahan doesn't have to have an All-Pro season - I just want him to have a chance to play at his natural position and get the job done. One player isn't going to make the Steelers OL "the best in the NFL" just as one player (Mahan) wasn't solely responsible for the Steelers OL sucking it up last season.

I like mine medium well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Great point...Mahan might not of had the anchor to handle some of the huge NT's...but Guard is a different position altogether..if Kemo cant move that large boiler of his fast enough to get into the second tier..we may indeed see Mahan or Colon at LG...Keep in mind that Mahan has more starts at Guard in the NFL than Kemo does. I'm not saying that Mahan will be better..but Kemo has not proven anything to anyone at this point in time.

I gotta think that a "portion" of the problem last year was Fanaca playing to "not get hurt" (although there is a chance that he was also playing with an attitude and didnt feel the need to play all out)....and that will cause a ripple affect down the o-line.

Enough people "in the know" also concluded that Ben held on to the ball too long (including Ben himself)

I think we have the personel to have a very good front line...if they would get back to the basics of proper assignment...proper leverage...and quick,strong initial hand punch.

paw-n-maul-u
06-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Don't see where anybody said that, but whatever.

And the fact still remains that the OL stunk it up big time and gave up even more sacks in '06 than '07 WITHOUT Mahan. Mahan may not have been the solution at center for us, but he's not the entire problem either. There aren't any good DLs whatsoever in the NFC? I think Golden Boy Brady would beg to differ with you after spending this past SB watching his "All-Pro OL" get abused and getting knocked on his ass all night by a few of them.

Again, don't see where anybody said that, but whatever. I'm sure everybody hopes that Simmons and Kemo are nothing but big wastes of space just to prove a point about Mahan. I think it's more probable that some hope that they push each other in camp and they all become better players from the competition. Personally, I just want to see the best 11 on the field for us when the offense and defense go out there. If Mahan happens to be one of them on offense, then so be it.

It's pretty easy to make that statement with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, isn't it? I don't remember anybody, including you, saying what a big mistake it was in acquiring Mahan last year. And if Okobi's such a good center, why didn't he stick in AZ? It's not like their OL is any great shakes either. Must be great to never be wrong. Don't see how the Rooneys could have ever skipped over your résumé when they hired Colbert. :coffee:

Well oops on me if i forgot my crystal ball ... honestly ... hindsight is really all you have while evaluating a persons play,is it not? And if you can find where I said "acquiring mahan was a bad decision" LAST Year, or even in the previous post, lemme know.

.. but it kind of made sense to sign a center, when your probowl center just retired. Even you seem smart enough to figure that out.

and for your information, arizona had a top ten line last year. They gave up half the sacks we did. read somethin.

And giants defensive line usually sported three DE's ... tuck, strahan and omenyoria (sp?) ... tuck was an extremely undersized DT ... and I think if you read back, I talked about NOSE TACKLES ... NT is the abbreviation for that. Mahan struggled so bad last year vs. bigger DT's and NT's .. and while it seems we play jax, SD, NE etc. ... EVERY YEAR, the bucs play atlana, carolina and NO ... NO has been looking for a stud DT forever ... quick, name a player on ATL's d-line ... and Carolina's Shaun Rogers clone in kris jenkins has been a joke the last two years also.

Point is, Mahan went from a probably much more easy job in the NFC than he did in the AFC ... either way, he sucked last year. sure, i hope he does good, just like I hope all the players do good. but based on last year ... 5 year 17 mil .. WASTE

And y hasn't he been cut yet? probably because he'll be too big of a cap hit next year? I don't konw ... and your right, I'm not Kevin Colbert ... but neither are you.

revefsreleets
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
So, um, well....errrr....anyone hear anything about what Bentley is actually doing or where he is going?

fansince'76
06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Well oops on me if i forgot my crystal ball ... honestly ... hindsight is really all you have while evaluating a persons play,is it not? And if you can find where I said "acquiring mahan was a bad decision" LAST Year, or even in the previous post, lemme know.

You pretty much implied it with this statement: "Last year I remember hearing someone talk about TC observations and saying how Mahan was handling Big Snack and bullying him around, everyone was stoked about Mahan at center, We even let Okobi go, who never played HALF AS BAD, as that big fat ginger did last year." I took that as basically meaning that despite other folks' reports from TC about him, you figured he'd suck anyway. If that isn't what you meant and I read too much into it, I apologize.

.. but it kind of made sense to sign a center, when your probowl center just retired. Even you seem smart enough to figure that out.

Sure, just like in 2001 when they signed Hartings and converted him from guard to center to replace Dawson. They tried the same thing with Mahan - you win some, you lose some.

and for your information, arizona had a top ten line last year. They gave up half the sacks we did. read somethin.

Fair enough, but they had the NFL's 29th-ranked running game and also ranked 30th in yards per rush. Considering they have a pretty damn good RB in Edge, that's kinda painful.

Point is, Mahan went from a probably much more easy job in the NFC than he did in the AFC ... either way, he sucked last year. sure, i hope he does good, just like I hope all the players do good. but based on last year ... 5 year 17 mil .. WASTE.

I agree that Mahan sucked at center, but in my humble opinion, he should be at least given a chance to win a starting guard spot. If he stinks it up there too, then hasta la vista.