PDA

View Full Version : Ravens' Jonathan Ogden retiring

HughC
06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Ravens OL Jonathan Ogden will announce his retirement tomorrow. The guy was a real beast; it's amazing that the Ravens could never put together a better offense with him on their team.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ogden611,0,3187108.story

Knowing a toe injury would hinder his All-Pro playing ability, Jonathan Ogden told The Sun today that he will announce his retirement tomorrow, a long-awaited decision that ends the career of one of the NFL's great offensive linemen and a cornerstone of the Ravens franchise.

The inaugural pick by the Ravens in 1996, Ogden dominated the best defensive linemen of his generation, protecting the blind side of countless quarterbacks with his massive wingspan and opening holes for the likes of Jamal Lewis with bulldozing power.

Ogden, 33, who has been voted to the Pro Bowl in 11 of 12 NFL seasons, is expected to become the first player drafted by the Ravens to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Duke
06-11-2008, 05:47 PM
so.... hall of fame in 5 years: favre, strahan, ogden, sapp, mcnair? and kuhn gets it for the 20th time!

good luck to him, he was a great player, the best on the rats imo

Rhee Rhee
06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
thank goodness they got that umm i can't remember his name... jared gaither... that kid even started for them last season at both LT and RT... i'd say a great pick by the ravens organization (it was in the consolidated draft or w/e you call it)...

steelwall
06-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Great player..but....IMO.... he still had 2 decent years left in him...but his decision.....

Galax Steeler
06-12-2008, 05:12 AM
That dude was a beast and was a great player.

Rhee Rhee
06-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Great player..but....IMO.... he still had 2 decent years left in him...but his decision.....

i agree. he could've continued playing but I guess it was a smart decision... i'm sure he doesn't want to end up confied to a wheelchair at the age of 40

RoethlisBURGHer
06-13-2008, 09:57 PM
i agree. he could've continued playing but I guess it was a smart decision... i'm sure he doesn't want to end up confied to a wheelchair at the age of 40

Yep, I don't blame him for retiring. Better to retire with long-term health than to retire unable to care for yourself.

He was a great player, thank goodness he's gone lol. :tt03:

Tankus_Maximus
06-14-2008, 12:29 AM
so.... hall of fame in 5 years: favre, strahan, ogden, sapp, mcnair? and kuhn gets it for the 20th time!

good luck to him, he was a great player, the best on the rats imo

after reading that who's-who list.....I have one question on my mind: when the hell did I get so old???? I remember when all those chodes were up & coming pro bowlers......this sucks.

The Duke
06-14-2008, 01:23 AM
after reading that who's-who list.....I have one question on my mind: when the hell did I get so old???? I remember when all those chodes were up & coming pro bowlers......this sucks.

don't worry, superstars like kuhn are next in line:thumbsup:

but yeah, I know what you mean. favre was hands down my fav player since little, it was sad to see him go. ogden, a division rival and an amazing player, lot of respect to him. strahan, sapp, such good players....do we still have players like that in the nfl? few I would say

ChronoCross
06-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Ogden did not have 2 more years left in him. From turf toe to other injuries he could hardly stay on the field. Ogden tho was one of the greats when it came to the tackle position.

KeiselPower99
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Great player and he will be missed. That 2013 HOF class is looking stronger every day.