PDA

View Full Version : Foote should stick around

TrueSteelerForLife
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Written by JJ Cooper

Ed Bouchette has put 2+2 together to figure out that there's a very good chance that last year's first round pick Lawrence Timmons will beat out Larry Foote for a starting job this year.

That's a good thing. It's hopefully a sign that Timmons will bring the athleticism and big play ability that made him a first-round pick last year. But it's not necessarily bad news for Foote in the long term.

The man who could be most impacted by Timmons development is actually James Farrior. Foote still has two years left on his current deal while Farrior is heading into the final year of his current contract. There's a good chance that Timmons will get a one-year trial at the mack linebacker spot. If he lives up to expectations, he'll slide over to the more demanding buck position next year, replacing Farrior, while Foote will move right on back into the starting lineup. If Timmons falls flat on his face, than Foote will be starting again at some point in 2008, and the Steelers will likely start talking about a contract extension with Farrior.

With no other likely starters at inside linebacker on the roster (unless rookie Mike Humpal develops), Foote looks like a relatively inexpensive insurance policy in the short term, and is likely to continue as a starter in the long term. He's not great, but he's also not very expensive, and the man is consistent. He's started 64 straight games, records between three or four sacks a season and is decent against the run. The fact that Timmons may beat him out is a good sign, but it's a good thing that Foote will still be around.

LVSteelersfan
06-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I hope Timmons pans out because slow of Foote is ok. But he is not the best I have ever seen especially trying to chase down the likes of MJD.

19ward86
06-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing them split time this year then both can start after farrior goes off into the Free Agency to be signed by the.....idk, browns. Because they sign all of our crap ass players all the time anyway.

jjpro11
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
thats some great depth if timmons is already better than foote.

Galax Steeler
06-13-2008, 03:39 AM
I just hope Timmons can develop and play like a first round pick that he was.

Rhee Rhee
06-13-2008, 05:25 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing them split time this year then both can start after farrior goes off into the Free Agency to be signed by the.....idk, browns. Because they sign all of our crap ass players all the time anyway.

i like the sound of this a LOT...

seeing as though farrior is on the last year of his contract it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him as an insurance policy and replacement... i say timmons splits time with foote and next season timmons takes over for the departed farrior...

the only thing i don't like about the post is farrior isn't a crap ass player...:noidea:

SteelersJW
06-13-2008, 09:00 AM
If we hadn't drafted Timmons #1 I would like Foote to stay where he is, but Timmons has to start this year.

Preacher
06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I have read a few things which places Timmons at the Mack position, mainly because of his ability to cover as well as play the run.

However, I would love to see Farrior sign a Bettis contract for a couple more years and take Timmons under his wing at that position... teaching and spelling him at times.

Jeremy
06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I just hope Timmons can develop and play like a first round pick that he was.

thats some great depth if timmons is already better than foote.

Funny how two people can see a situation in two totally different ways.

I don't think Timmons is better than Foote at this point. More athletic than Foote sure, but not a better football player in the Steelers scheme. Besides, we've all seen what injuries can do to a football team. Timmons may be the starter soon, but you need some quality depth at that position if the Steelers want to chase the Pats and Colts.

Besides, the guy who's going to make the biggest impact is Woodley.

steelymcmatt
06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Remember Timmons has less than a year of playing experience his belt due to injury. Right now it is Foote's experience that gives him the edge, but I think after a year of backing up Foote, Timmons will supplant him as the #1. In the meantime, it's an awful nice problem to have!

MasterOfPuppets
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Remember Timmons has less than a year of playing experience his belt due to injury. Right now it is Foote's experience that gives him the edge, but I think after a year of backing up Foote, Timmons will supplant him as the #1. In the meantime, it's an awful nice problem to have!how much experience did kendrell bell have before becoming a starter?

Preacher
06-13-2008, 10:00 PM
how much experience did kendrell bell have before becoming a starter?

When I first read this post... I thought I read Kordell Stewart rather than Kendrell Bell. I was wondering what kind of argument that was?!

steelymcmatt
06-13-2008, 11:06 PM
how much experience did kendrell bell have before becoming a starter?

refresh me memory.....who did Bell replace?

MasterOfPuppets
06-14-2008, 09:34 AM
refresh me memory.....who did Bell replace?levon kirkland
my point is....if a rookie can come in and fill the shoes of a great LBer like kirkland, then surely a 1st rd pick with a year in the system should be able to unseat an average LBer like foote. unless of course someone, overestimated timmons's abiities.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
The other positive is that if Timmons beats out Foote on special teams might improve that unit a lot.

I like Foote and a lot of people here forget that he was the Big 10 defensive player of the year his sr. season and has made a lot of tackles in his years here. Having too many good LB's is not a bad thing at all.