PDA

View Full Version : Maddox and the ESPN Announcers...

The JoKeR
11-14-2005, 01:27 AM
Anyone catch when the announcers were cracking jokes about tommy maddox? "That little sleeve he wears on his wrist? I think he just went to the sidelines and the steelers coaching staff erased all the pass plays". I found it funny, but I hope he can get a little better with his throws. Who knows, batch looked like crap last week, but then came out hitting on all cylinders this week (till he got hurt). Maybe Maddox just needs that second game...who knows..:boxing:

Koopa
11-14-2005, 01:34 AM
well batch looked like crap the first half of last week and then the second half did good, then today he was hitting on all cylinders, maddox played one game and got worse as the game went on, and then today he had an int that was whipped off, if he plays sunday it'll be more of the same

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2005, 01:38 AM
What ticked me off was McGuire saying he felt bad for Maddox because the fans dumped trash on his yard, which Theismann immediately agreed ws horrible. Too bad they did not bother to find out Maddox's agent made that story up, which Maddox's wife denied ever happened.

I normally am too footballed out to watch the Sunday night game - regardless of who you rooted for the announcers were terrible, being unable to get names or down and distance right. Even the sideline reporter was a mess, stating at one point that when Dilfer came to Cleveland he was told the one thing he had to do was "beat the Browns" (huh?)

soniczilla
11-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Luckily, those old geezers at ESPN will be replaced next year when Monday Night Football goes to ESPN.

Still, they were right; Maddox does not belong behind center.

Koopa
11-14-2005, 02:18 AM
i think they said theisman and some other dude will be doing MNF games next year

pitt
11-14-2005, 02:54 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Tommy yet. He just nees to get his confidence back.

Prosdo
11-14-2005, 03:41 AM
I still like Tommy as a player somewhat. As a person I lost all respect for him. Just because now you see most of the air hasn't been cleared about that incident. The story made national news, but his wife calling the claims false never did.

steelersgirl86
11-14-2005, 07:59 AM
What ticked me off was McGuire saying he felt bad for Maddox because the fans dumped trash on his yard, which Theismann immediately agreed ws horrible. Too bad they did not bother to find out Maddox's agent made that story up, which Maddox's wife denied ever happened.

I normally am too footballed out to watch the Sunday night game - regardless of who you rooted for the announcers were terrible, being unable to get names or down and distance right. Even the sideline reporter was a mess, stating at one point that when Dilfer came to Cleveland he was told the one thing he had to do was "beat the Browns" (huh?)

I am glad someone else heard that about Dilfer I thought I was the only one...:blah:

Ambridge
11-14-2005, 08:19 AM
I agree the announcers were pretty bad last night but I liked the other crack about Maddox where I think Paul McGuire said the Steelers passing game has probably gone into the "Lockdown mode" after Maddox's interception was called back.

clevestinks
11-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Paul McGuire is funny, week after week!

Joe was actually saying"Come on Tommy" They really did feel bad for him somewhat.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I laughed at the jokes,so did my Grandpa.

The two of us have lost all faith in Maddox.I don't think he could pass his way out of a wet paper bag (we all know he can't scramble his way out).

Steel - X
11-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Did you ever watch a game with these box's of tools when Favre or Vick are on the field?

Well Joe what did you think of how he sat on the bench?

It was good form Paul, Good form.

Steel Fury
11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah i thought I was the only one who caught the line about "just beat the Browns". I was sitting there going "she didn't think that through" and nobody wanted to correct her.

As for Maddox, it's funny how things have changed for him so quick. He just does not seem confident at all. The announcers aren't helping. What was Maguire, a punter right?

BB2W
11-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah i thought I was the only one who caught the line about "just beat the Browns". I was sitting there going "she didn't think that through" and nobody wanted to correct her.

As for Maddox, it's funny how things have changed for him so quick. He just does not seem confident at all. The announcers aren't helping. What was Maguire, a punter right?
Hey Fury, long time no see... It is pretty sad what has happend to Maddox, not only in Pittsburgh but his entire NFL career. He better get his resume ready because I think it's back to the work force.

Livinginthe past
11-14-2005, 01:20 PM
The only reason that these commentators think they can get away with ripping Maddox is because of his treatment by Steeler fans - they know that no-one will back him up.

Its true he had a terrible game against Jax - but then it was his first start for a long time and he deserved a chance to improve his performance.

Do the Steeler fans deserve any decent Maddox performances?

No - probably not.

NM

rowedf
11-14-2005, 01:28 PM
That was hands down the worst announcing I have ever heard for a football game (and I listned to Beasley Reese a lot). Did you guys catch McGuire saying how Batch made that excellent catch across the middle? lol

BB2W
11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Do the Steeler fans deserve any decent Maddox performances?
:confused: If we did, we would have gotten one by now... :rolleyes:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM

:iagree:

Im as pissed off at him as everyone else for that ridiculous 4 interception day a few weeks back, but we may very well need him before this season is over.. so he needs to get his confidence back.

Koopa
11-14-2005, 02:31 PM

oh no.......you need to let it go mayne lol, the fluke 2002 maddox will never be seen unless you raise his rating on madden

cpollock
11-14-2005, 11:34 PM

Actually the Tribune Review made the story up . According to the KDKA report I heqard on the incident, Tommy's agent was just as shocked as everyone else when the story came out.

He never made the quote. --

cpollock
11-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I still like Tommy as a player somewhat. As a person I lost all respect for him. Just because now you see most of the air hasn't been cleared about that incident. The story made national news, but his wife calling the claims false never did.

The interview I saw of him in the locker room was that he wanted the entire thing to go away and be forgotten ..

pitt
11-15-2005, 01:00 AM
I think all the jokes and comments by the announcers were unprofessional.

24seven
11-15-2005, 04:51 AM
I could have swore the 3rd guy.. the actual announcer was drunk.. After half he was talkin and his words seemed all slurred and shit.. And yeah several times they didn't even think about what they were saying.. what a catch by Batch! And the throw from Batch was amazing too!! I can't stand that trifecta.. Worst announcers around. I'd take Dan Dierdorf back over that crap.......

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Yep

I think the ESPN Sunday night announcers are consistently terrible. Theisman is the most annoying to me because he just doesn't stop talking, and his tone is always negative and confrontational. Sort of like how Trev Alberts used to act on College Gameday, or whatever show that was. Just terrible.

It was also ridiculous how they all jumped on Northcutt after he dropped a pass. That guy has been on the browns forever and has always been one of their best players. Then, the jabs against the Steeler fans that they based on a fraudulent story. You know it's bad when I was wishing for John Madden to start announcing!

Suitanim
11-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Nobody was drunk...Mike Patrick just talks slow.

Tommy Maddox is over. He may be able to mentally handle a game, but his passing arm is shot...if you watch his passes, even his short throws, the nose of the ball seems to angle down...it's a sure sign of a guy (Chad Pennington suffered the same symptoms this year, but he has an excuse) who has lost his arm-strength.

I admire Tommy Maddox for what he's gone though and the fact that he came back and played well...but...

It. Is. Over.

AvoidLLoyd95
11-15-2005, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan]What ticked me off was McGuire saying he felt bad for Maddox because the fans dumped trash on his yard, which Theismann immediately agreed ws horrible. Too bad they did not bother to find out Maddox's agent made that story up, which Maddox's wife denied ever happened.

I normally am too footballed out to watch the Sunday night game - regardless of who you rooted for the announcers were terrible, being unable to get names or down and distance right.Even the sideline reporter was a mess, stating at one point that when Dilfer came to Cleveland he was told the one thing he had to do was "beat the Browns" (huh?)

Suzy Kolber is a dunce. She is in love with Ray Lewis and the Ravens. She is always too excited about little things and adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast, no pun intended.

cpollock
11-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Nobody was drunk...Mike Patrick just talks slow.

Tommy Maddox is over. He may be able to mentally handle a game, but his passing arm is shot...if you watch his passes, even his short throws, the nose of the ball seems to angle down...it's a sure sign of a guy (Chad Pennington suffered the same symptoms this year, but he has an excuse) who has lost his arm-strength.

I admire Tommy Maddox for what he's gone though and the fact that he came back and played well...but...

It. Is. Over.

Have to disagree with you there Suit ..

SuperMan313
11-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I didn't even pay attention to those idiots.

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Trust me Batch was no superstar in his games. Maddox is on a downward spiral to Kordell Stewart level and Ben better quit doing his Duce Staley impression. We need to get back to some consistency.

Stlrs4Life
11-20-2005, 12:18 AM

Totally agree. Everybody seems to forget a couple of seasons ago when he saved our arse against the Browns.