PDA

View Full Version : THEY'RE BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!

millwalldavey
06-16-2008, 02:44 PM
HEY DUKIES!!!!!!!!!!! 40-0 NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

TARHEEL POWER!

From Fox Sports:

North Carolina has become the clear-cut favorite to win the national title.

The Tar Heels trio of Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Danny Green are all headed back to Chapel Hill, according to multiple sources close to the situation.
"They are all going back to school," one source said. "None of them were 100 percent sure they would be taken in the first round."

Now the Tar Heels will return virtually everyone of note, since National Player of the Year Tyler Hansbrough didn't even bother to test the NBA draft waters.

Lawson, Ellington and Green each participated in the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp and also went through numerous workouts for NBA teams.

Green, who was injured in Orlando, told FOXSports.com previously that he would likely withdraw while Lawson and Ellington appeared to have tougher decisions to make.

Lawson was arrested last week for underage alcohol consumption, but it's unclear whether the incident played a part in his decision to return to school for his junior season.

TackleMeBen
06-16-2008, 06:08 PM
good it will be even better when duke beats them this year:thumbsup:... tarheel fans cant use the excuse all of our players went to the NBA:chuckle::chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
HEY DUKIES!!!!!!!!!!! 40-0 NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

TARHEEL POWER!

From Fox Sports:

North Carolina has become the clear-cut favorite to win the national title.

The Tar Heels trio of Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Danny Green are all headed back to Chapel Hill, according to multiple sources close to the situation.
"They are all going back to school," one source said. "None of them were 100 percent sure they would be taken in the first round."

Now the Tar Heels will return virtually everyone of note, since National Player of the Year Tyler Hansbrough didn't even bother to test the NBA draft waters.

Congrats - I guess returning the starters with another year of experience means the Tar Heels will not go down by more than 25 in the first half of the Final Four next time, assuming these seasoned veterans even get that far and do not cough up a big lead like they did against Georgetown in the regionals.:chuckle:

Unless they win it all the season will be a complete disaster; if you have any friends who are Pats fans ask them how they felt after 18-0 turned into 18-1 so you can get ready for what it will feel like when the 2008-09 season ends in disappointment

P.S. - Saying Hansbrough did not "even bother" to test the draft waters is like saying you or I did not "bother" to do so - 6'6" white guys with no hops who rely on an inside power game (+lots of traveling) are not first round material

GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!

TackleMeBen
06-16-2008, 09:08 PM
GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: i couldnt agree with you more Dan :laughing:

SteelCityMan786
06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: i couldnt agree with you more Dan :laughing:

You know that It will be funny if Duke sweeps them NC bums

millwalldavey
06-17-2008, 03:05 PM
The Dukies should chage the colors to Green and white. Invinicible? I think so! If Duke gets within15 points of them this year it'll be a miracle.

Get your excuses ready. This could be better than the UNLV team from 1991!

Preacher
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
The Dukies should chage the colors to Green and white. Invinicible? I think so! If Duke gets within15 points of them this year it'll be a miracle.

Wow those sound like "famous last words"

For some reason, I think this thread should be saved and then bumped come April of next year!!!!!!

millwalldavey
06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow those sound like "famous last words"

For some reason, I think this thread should be saved and then bumped come April of next year!!!!!!

Yeah... your right! I'm not a baseball fan and got bored watching Euro 08 and saw this come across the creen and got cranked up!

I say it again. 40-0 (or however many games they gonna play... 40 is a rough estimate)

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah... your right! I'm not a baseball fan and got bored watching Euro 08 and saw this come across the creen and got cranked up!

I say it again. 40-0 (or however many games they gonna play... 40 is a rough estimate)

Might as well give them a few losses as part of your projections. No one in men's college basketball goes undefeated unless John Wooden is coaching them.

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Might as well give them a few losses as part of your projections. No one in men's college basketball goes undefeated unless John Wooden is coaching them.

It's not impossible... perhaps the time has come, no?

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
It's not impossible... perhaps the time has come, no?

Though I will admit that Uconn's womens basketball team did such a feat, mens and womens college basketball are 2 different animals.

Who says it's not the year? Probably a majority of Americans at least. I will choose to remain neutral until we see a referee throw a ball in the air and a tip-off has taken place.

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
i am not going to stay neutral.. UNC blows and will not go undefeated this upcoming season.:thumbsup:

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm never neutral. Duke blows ad Mike K. couldn't carry Dean Smiths dirty uderwear across the street.

At least Mike is Polish. One woders what would have happened had he take the UNC job whe Dean left.

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks for making my point for me. Being the best team since 1990-1991 Vegas probably is not the best point of reference if you are claiming Tar Heel victory is inevitable, but please refesh my memory how 1990-91 UNLV ended up the season. I cannot seem to remember who won the NC that year.:sofunny:

The most talented team (e.g. - 1984 Carolina/1985 Georgetown/1975 Indiana/1991 Vegas) has lost the NCAAs on numerous occasions. Get ready for history to repeat itslf in 2009.

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm never neutral. Duke blows ad Mike K. couldn't carry Dean Smiths dirty uderwear across the street..

Mike's got 3, Dean's got only 2 (and you know to what I am referring), and it took brain cramps by Fred Brown & Chris Webber to win those 2.

There was only one man who could hold Michael Jordan to less than 20 points a game and he was Jordan's head coach at UNC.

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Mike's got 3, Dean's got only 2 (and you know to what I am referring), and it took brain cramps by Fred Brown & Chris Webber to win those 2.

There was only one man who could hold Michael Jordan to less than 20 points a game and he was Jordan's head coach at UNC.

Count the wins all time.

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for making my point for me. Being the best team since 1990-1991 Vegas probably is not the best point of reference if you are claiming Tar Heel victory is inevitable, but please refesh my memory how 1990-91 UNLV ended up the season. I cannot seem to remember who won the NC that year.:sofunny:

The most talented team (e.g. - 1984 Carolina/1985 Georgetown/1975 Indiana/1991 Vegas) has lost the NCAAs on numerous occasions. Get ready for history to repeat itslf in 2009.

UNLV won the NC that season... I canot remember if they had 1 or 2 losses.

Ooooops.... that was the year previous they won the NC.... Pretty--boy stepped in the pile agaist kentucky in 91

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Count the wins all time.

When K coaches as many years as Dean I will do so; Deano coached around 35 years. When K gets there he is projected to pass your hero for career wins.

But Dean definitely leads K in number of cigarettes smoked if you are looking for a title that Dean has locked up.

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
UNLV won the NC that season... I canot remember if they had 1 or 2 losses.

Ooooops.... that was the year previous they won the NC.... Pretty--boy stepped in the pile agaist kentucky in 91

UNLV was 35-5 when they won the NC in 1990; no greatest team ever argument to be made there

The great UNLV team was the 1990-91 team , which was 34-0 until it reached the Final Four and lost to ... (wait for it) ... Duke!!!!!:flap:

Duke won the 1991 NC and, in the true mark of a champion, repeated in 1992 (the year Laettner hit the shot to beat Kentucky in the regionals)

In terms of the dangers arising from premature claims of greatness, nobody said it better than John Wooden when he said this about Vegas before the 1991 tournament: About UNLV , the Wizard says: "Let's wait and see. A lot of teams have won one in a row."

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1118980/4/index.htm

Indeed - let's wait and see before we crown anyone for greatness before they have won anything significant

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
When K coaches as many years as Dean I will do so; Deano coached around 35 years. When K gets there he is projected to pass your hero for career wins.

But Dean definitely leads K in number of cigarettes smoked if you are looking for a title that Dean has locked up.
that is too much..lol.. i am not a UNC fan by any means. but i will say this, smith was a great coach, just like coach K..

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 03:26 PM

Well... he's closing in on 30.... He started @ Duke in what 1982?

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Coach K is a very good coach, but he's recruiting the same type of kids now that he was in the early 90s. You look at his last few teams and the one thing that just jumps off the screen at you is the total lack of athleticism on his roster, especially when compared to teams like Memphis and Kansas.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Coach K is a very good coach, but he's recruiting the same type of kids now that he was in the early 90s. You look at his last few teams and the one thing that just jumps off the screen at you is the total lack of athleticism on his roster, especially when compared to teams like Memphis and Kansas.

One thing I never understood is how he can never seem to find a quality big man (i'm talking 6'10" and up). I know the offense is geared around the outside game, but they always seem to have 1 or 2 REALLY BAD 7 footters on the team. Why is it that they just cannot attract a solid big player?

Other than that... I hate Dukes guts, but K is alright I guess. Again, he's Polish so thats points in my book! My high school coach is really good friends with him and tries to brainwash all of the players!

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
One thing I never understood is how he can never seem to find a quality big man (i'm talking 6'10" and up). I know the offense is geared around the outside game, but they always seem to have 1 or 2 REALLY BAD 7 footters on the team. Why is it that they just cannot attract a solid big player?

Other than that... I hate Dukes guts, but K is alright I guess. Again, he's Polish so thats points in my book! My high school coach is really good friends with him and tries to brainwash all of the players!

Because they don't grow good centers in the suburbs.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Or Jersey.

Atlanta Dan
06-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Agreed - the nadir of the program was when he recruited tall stiffs Joey Beard and Greg Newton after the 1991-92 championships.

K recruited great talent from the mid-90s through around 2002-03. After Luol Deng left after his freshman year in 2004 (when Duke kicked away a Final Four win over UConn that would have led to another NC) and Shaun Livingston went straight to the NBA after signing with Duke , K has backed off recruiting the sure fire NBA star. IMO this is because; 1) until 2 years ago those talents went straight to the pros; and 2) for image reasons of not wanting to look like a basketball factory Duke will not consistently recruit players such as Memphis recruits who are good bets to be gone after 1 year under the new rules. In addition, Duke has simply lost out on some recruits recently; IMO the lacrosse fiasco heightened the image of Duke as a haven for self-indulgent, rich white kids that is not the best of all possible social worlds for most talented basketball players.

For whatever reason, Carolina is doing a much better job of recruiting players who will be drafted by the NBA but are not so good that they are lottery picks before their senior years. That is why Hansbrough & Co. are back next year, not because they have foregone lottery pick $$ in order to win one for Ol' Roy.

At age 61, K may have a final run left in him like Dean Smith did from 1993-97 before Dean quit, but maybe not.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Agreed - the nadir of the program was when he recruited tall stiffs Joey Beard and Greg Newton after the 1991-92 championships.

K recruited great talent from the mid-90s through around 2002-03. After Luol Deng left after his freshman year in 2004 (when Duke kicked away a Final Four win over UConn that would have led to another NC) and Shaun Livingston went straight to the NBA after signing with Duke , K has backed off recruiting the sure fire NBA star. IMO this is because; 1) until 2 years ago those talents went straight to the pros; and 2) for image reasons of not wanting to look like a basketball factory Duke will not consistently recruit players such as Memphis recruits who are good bets to be gone after 1 year under the new rules. In addition, Duke has simply lost out on some recruits recently; IMO the lacrosse fiasco heightened the image of Duke as a haven for self-indulgent, rich white kids that is not the best of all possible social worlds for most talented basketball players.

For whatever reason, Carolina is doing a much better job of recruiting players who will be drafted by the NBA but are not so good that they are lottery picks before their senior years. That is why Hansbrough & Co. are back next year, not because they have foregone lottery pick $$ in order to win one for Ol' Roy.

At age 61, K may have a final run left in him like Dean Smith did from 1993-97 before Dean quit, but maybe not.

Maybe it's because the kids at Carolina and the kids at Florida just liked their coaches, their school, and their teammates.

Atlanta Dan
06-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Maybe it's because the kids at Carolina and the kids at Florida just liked their coaches, their school, and their teammates.

Florida might have been for teammates (Horford was a lottery level player although he grew into it his senior year)

With Carolina I doubt it; three players considered the draft and pulled out within an hour of the deadline to declare only after realizing their dim prospects while Hansbrough (alleged 6'6", not the 6'9" "official height, with no hops or outside shot) knows he was not going in the top half of the first round.

College ball is all about the Benjamins - nothing wrong with that but it is what it is.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
In all honesty... the Carolina 4 will be dominant this year, because they are succeeding at the highest level they will likely be successful at. TH will never be a good pro.

Which I could care less about because once they leave UNC I could care less about the NBA.

Carolin already has about 56 great recruits lined up for the next 2 years. Admittedly, UNC and DUke, once the top of the heap are starting to lose out on the top recruits.