PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Almost Quit Football Last Year

TackleMeBen
06-16-2008, 07:18 PM
In April, running back Rashard Mendenhall became a first-round draft pick, landing with the Steelers (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/15/mendenhall-almost-quit-football-last-year/#).

It almost didnít happen.

According to the Urbana/Champaign News-Gazette, Mendenhall nearly quit football (http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2008/06/15/mendenhalls_relationship_with_ui_on_rocky_side) prior to the 2007 season.

ďI sat down and I was like, ĎIf this is what football (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/15/mendenhall-almost-quit-football-last-year/#) is, I donít know if I want to do that anymore,íĒ Mendenhall said. ďIím not soft at all. Iím not scared of adversity. Iím donít care if somebodyís yelling at me. Thatís not what it was about at all.
ďI want to be happy in my life. I know I can walk away from this. I know I can finish school, get a job.Ē

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/15/mendenhall-almost-quit-football-last-year/

duma
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I almost quit my job everyday. I hate it.... wait... uh oh. :P

tony hipchest
06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
nice to know somebody in the industry still places personal happiness above the almighty dollar.

i bet in april of 2007 he had no idea he would be lucky enough to have both as a pittsburgh steeler.

TackleMeBen
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
nice to know somebody in the industry still places personal happiness above the almighty dollar.

i bet in april of 2007 he had no idea he would be lucky enough to have both as a pittsburgh steeler.
you might be right there tony. most people are all for the almight dollar.

19ward86
06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
as long as he doesnt quit for another 10 or so years from now im ok.

Galax Steeler
06-17-2008, 03:46 AM
I hope he turns out to be one of the best rb in stellers history I am glad he didn't quit.

Preacher
06-17-2008, 04:12 AM
There were actually a number of things in that article that impressed me.

1. He knows that football isn't life.. that means that he will be grounded.

2. He is willing to learn lessons that it isn't all about him... Smart kid.

3. He had his best season while not happy? Now that is focus.

4. He desires to finish school... probably will. Again, shows stability.

I really like this kid.

Steelman16
06-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Looks like both kids we picked up in the first two rounds have good heads on their shoulders. I'm likin' these quality people. There's more to life than football - and these guys know that. And if they know that, they'll probably know how to stay of out trouble. That scores big in my book.

Good talent on the side is also nice. :thumbsup:

DACEB
06-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Looks like both kids we picked up in the first two rounds have good heads on their shoulders. I'm likin' these quality people.

Absolutely, and you could say that about last years draft as well. There have been quite a few of the young guys that I have noticed the same type of demeanor. I'm looking forward to see what guys like Woodley, Timmons, RushHard, Sweed, Baker, Mundy and Humpal bring to this franchise in the future. On the field and off.

warddj86
06-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Yep except he didn't, he took the money route

Dino 6 Rings
06-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Yep except he didn't, he took the money route

I'm not that happy in my job, but if a job about the same, opened up and I was offered big dollars to keep doing it...well then...show me the cash buddy.

money doesn't buy happiness, but it puts food on the table, keeps my lights on and keeps my family warm in the winter.

klick81
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM

I really like this kid.

While I'll admit that I'm not at all informed on the reasons for his troubles in Illinois, I'll play the devil's advocate here. What if the problem was not the coaching staff?

What if Mendenhall "almost quitting" is really him just being a drama queen having a tantrum?

I dont know this guy (as much as you can get to know any pro football player), but neither do I know the Illini coaching staff. I just don't want to hear about him being a distraction because he "doesn't want to play football" anymore while wearing a Steelers uniform. :twocents:

memphissteelergirl
06-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Looks like both kids we picked up in the first two rounds have good heads on their shoulders. I'm likin' these quality people. There's more to life than football - and these guys know that. And if they know that, they'll probably know how to stay of out trouble. That scores big in my book.

:iagree:

TackleMeBen
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
While I'll admit that I'm not at all informed on the reasons for his troubles in Illinois, I'll play the devil's advocate here. What if the problem was not the coaching staff?

What if Mendenhall "almost quitting" is really him just being a drama queen having a tantrum?

I dont know this guy (as much as you can get to know any pro football player), but neither do I know the Illini coaching staff. I just don't want to hear about him being a distraction because he "doesn't want to play football" anymore while wearing a Steelers uniform. :twocents:
i think he was upset with zook b/c he didnt want to give his brother walter a shot at playing for the illini.they were both there on scholarships and walter wasnt as high a recruit.

atlsteelers
06-17-2008, 12:51 PM
First off i must say that i am excited to have medenhall on our team, however, with just one season as a starter it makes me nervous. if he is such a stud, why did it take him unitl his junior season to see the field. last year we drafted a 1 year starter too, with timmons, i am hoping that they both dominate this year but i am a little skeptical.

The_WARDen
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
so he gets credit for just thinking about it and NOT actually doing it?? Sounds like he lacks the courage of his convictions to me. Wonder why he didn't actually REALLY walk away...the future $$$ might have had something to do with it.

personally, I am skeptical of the guy now...the Steelers future RB already has one foot out the door mentally. I'd rather have someone who wants to be there 100%.

It'd be intereting to see if he gets all this credit if, say he walks after the 2008 season.

:noidea:

missedgehead
06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
He does make me a bit nervous with that one foot out the door mentallity. We will see how much of a stand up guy he is.

HometownGal
06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Aren't you all putting the cart before the horse here? Jesus Louises - give the kid a chance to demonstrate his maturity and commitment to the Steelers instead of using those crystal balls and Ouji boards to predict what he "might" do. :banging:

From everything I've read about Mendenhall, he appears to have a good head on his shoulders and is eager to show the Steelers what he's made of. What happened in the past with Zook is just that - the past. Let it go and focus on the present and the fact that the Steelers, from all accounts, drafted a very talented RB. :thumbsup:

Preacher
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Aren't you all putting the cart before the horse here? Jesus Louises - give the kid a chance to demonstrate his maturity and commitment to the Steelers instead of using those crystal balls and Ouji boards to predict what he "might" do. :banging:

. :thumbsup:

Sorry HTG..

I guess I shouldn't have posted that thread about how quiet this board is this offseason.

maybe I jinxed it?! :hunch:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-17-2008, 06:26 PM

From everything I've read about Mendenhall, he appears to have a good head on his shoulders and is eager to show the Steelers what he's made of. What happened in the past with Zook is just that - the past. Let it go and focus on the present and the fact that the Steelers, from all accounts, drafted a very talented RB. :thumbsup:

Great Points....Zook is starting to catch al little heat here in illinois in regards to the way that he is treating those players that were signed before he became the coach...there are alot of people very dissatisfied with the way that he is treating players.
Some think that Mendenhall left Illinois early due to Zook's attitude...and the Mendenall family believes that he used Walter to get Rashard...and that it was no coincidence that both left the same year.

fansince'76
06-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Leave it to the National Enquirer of the NFL (PFT) to COMPLETELY misrepresent the story. He wasn't happy playing for IU because of the shitty atmosphere there and because he considered the HC, Ron Zook, to be a jagoff - it's not that he was necessarily unhappy with the game itself.

Days before the start of the 2007 season, running back Rashard Mendenhall said he considered quitting the Illinois football team....Fortunately for Rashard Mendenhall, his brother Walter intervened and convinced him to stay with the team. "My brother was the one who kept me there," Mendenhall said....
Mendenhall's current relationship with the Illinois football program can best be described as strained. You won't see him on the sidelines of Illinois games during the upcoming season. Or in future years either. "To tell you the truth, as long as Ron Zook is there it will be hard for me to support the University of Illinois football team," Mendenhall said.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2008/06/15/mendenhalls_relationship_with_ui_on_rocky_side

The moral of the story? If it comes from PFT, take it with a BIG grain of salt.

fansince'76
06-17-2008, 06:37 PM

Does it really surprise you? I read somewhere in another thread where someone expressed anxiety about Sweed because he "didn't show enough excitement when his name was called at the draft." What was he supposed to do? Jump around screaming like some spastic game show contestant? "Limas Sweed....COME ON DOWN!" :rolleyes:

HometownGal
06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Does it really surprise you? I read somewhere in another thread where someone expressed anxiety about Sweed because he "didn't show enough excitement when his name was called at the draft." What was he supposed to do? Jump around screaming like some spastic game show contestant? "Limas Sweed....COME ON DOWN!" :rolleyes:

Sad, but true. No - it doesn't surprise me in the least. I tend not to believe the hutzpah the spin doctors at PFT put out, but I just found some of the comments to be prematurely judgmental.

If you will recall, we had those who B&M'd when Cowher didn't scream, yell and spray his players with spittle and those who felt that Tomlin didn't show enough emotion. :banging: No matter who the Steelers draft, sign from FA or acquire by other measures, some of these fans just have to find something - anything - to B & M about.

Preacher
06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Sad, but true. No - it doesn't surprise me in the least. I tend not to believe the hutzpah the spin doctors at PFT put out, but I just found some of the comments to be prematurely judgmental.

If you will recall, we had those who B&M'd when Cowher didn't scream, yell and spray his players with spittle and those who felt that Tomlin didn't show enough emotion. :banging: No matter who the Steelers draft, sign from FA or acquire by other measures, some of these fans just have to find something - anything - to B & M about.

I was one of those about Cowher... but that was mainly because it was so out of character for him.

Tomlin on the otherhand... it is in character for him to be stoic. Mendenhall seems to be the same way.

Nothing wrong with that.

But what a thing to complain about with mendenhall eh? Guess some just have to get in their negative shots from the beginning.

TackleMeBen
06-17-2008, 07:49 PM
i posted this on my cowboys board regarding mendenhall

maybe money isnt the reason he wanted to play football in the first case. maybe he just liked the game and money isnt the issue.

The_WARDen
06-18-2008, 08:54 AM

So no one can criticize what he 'might do' but people can praise him for what he 'might have done'???

fansince'76
06-18-2008, 09:14 AM
So no one can criticize what he 'might do' but people can praise him for what he 'might have done'???

Who's praising him? PFT took a story of how he was thinking about leaving the IU football program because he was at odds with the HC, and completely misrepresented what happened by turning it into a story of "he almost quit football."

HometownGal
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Huh????

OneForTheToe
06-18-2008, 01:20 PM
I want to take this opportunity to question whether HTG and fansince76 care about this forum anymore.:coffee: :wink02:I mean it has been how long since they :banned: anyone? And rarely do they even take a poster to the "wood shed." :buttkick:

Come on you two, show some emotion. :wave: :chuckle:

HometownGal
06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I want to take this opportunity to question whether HTG and fansince76 care about this forum anymore.:coffee: :wink02:I mean it has been how long since they :banned: anyone? And rarely do they even take a poster to the "wood shed." :buttkick:

Come on you two, show some emotion. :wave: :chuckle:

:laughing::toofunny:

If I showed some of the emotion I want to around here sometimes, I'd have to :banned: myself. :chuckle:

I only take posters to the "wood shed" when I feel they contribute nothing to the forum except gobble de gook. :wink02:

OneForTheToe
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
:laughing::toofunny:

I only take posters to the "wood shed" when I feel they contribute nothing to the forum except gobble de gook. :wink02:

:doh:
gobble de gook is my specialty.

It's great with eggs in the morning.:thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Good job PFT, take a story about him almost transfering from Illinois due to Ron Zook being a jerkoff (many Florida fans feel that he's one too) and turn it into a story of him almost quitting football.

He left Illinois after his junior season not for the money but because of the current coaching staff at Illinois, at least that's what I have heard from a few of my friends that currently go to that school.

The_WARDen
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Who's praising him? PFT took a story of how he was thinking about leaving the IU football program because he was at odds with the HC, and completely misrepresented what happened by turning it into a story of "he almost quit football."

from the first page of this thread alone...

Praise #1:

Praise #2:

I really like this kid.

Praise #3:

tony hipchest
06-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Praise #1:

Praise #2:

Praise #3:

:toofunny:

hey longarm, reach much?

ironcityslicker
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Wow. Did you guys read the same article I did? Threatening to quit football? Vowing to never acknowledge IU? He sounds like a prima donna, childish crybaby to me. I hope you guys are right, but he sounds like a troublemaker to me. We'll have to wait and see how he fits in to the organization. If he expects the Steelers to revolve around him, I think there's gonna be trouble.

tony hipchest
06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow. Did you guys read the same article I did? Threatening to quit football? Vowing to never acknowledge IU? He sounds like a prima donna, childish crybaby to me. I hope you guys are right, but he sounds like a troublemaker to me. We'll have to wait and see how he fits in to the organization. If he expects the Steelers to revolve around him, I think there's gonna be trouble.

"paranoia will destroy ya"

Preacher
06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
"paranoia will destroy ya"

:chuckle:

I wonder if this guy is in the Air Force? :wink02:

Preacher
06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Quack Quack Quack...

:rofl: