PDA

View Full Version : Who was a Pre-Season stud...or Backup that you thought would be a star..and never was

BlastFurnace
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Some of the one's I remember:

Zamir Cobb - on a couple message boards that I am a member of, people were penciling him as the #3 receiver with his great hands, speed, etc. There were debates and numerous threads about this guy. He had a couple of nice preseason games and got hurt. Tried to come back the next year and was cut. But, I remember the heated debates that were about this guy.

Donte Brown - a RB that had some really nice long runs in preseason several years ago. For 2 years, he made us think he was the the "Willie Parker" before there ever was a Willie Parker. Ended up being signed by the Bills and never made it very far.

Jason Capizzi - I know he is still around, but one more decent preseason and he could enter into this status.

Preacher
06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I thought that Cobb was going to make a great name for himself.. until he got hurt.

Sad.

Welcome To Smashmouth
06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Tee Martin was a college standout. He did what Peyton couldn't do (beat Florida & won the title game) and was never given an appropriate chance to shine in the NFL. Crying shame

tony hipchest
06-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Tee Martin was a college standout. He did what Peyton couldn't do (beat Florida & won the title game) and was never given an appropriate chance to shine in the NFL. Crying shamehe was given a shot in the european football league with rhein fire though, and he screwed the pooch in the champ game.

between zeoroue and maafaala at rb, i thought we were set for jeromes departure.

ChronoCross
06-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Walter Young. Tall, Great Hands, made big noise in camps with his catches. But when you cannot run a route correctly to save your life you will never make it.

fansince'76
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
KUHN! :chuckle:

Preacher
06-17-2008, 07:47 PM

:stirthepot:

Just had to didn't you!!!!!!!!! :chuckle:

PisnNapalm
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM

Me too. I wanted him to get a shot in a game.

BlastFurnace
06-17-2008, 09:33 PM

How on earth could I have forgotten the legend of all legends...The Man among Boys...John Kuhn. He must be the king of preseason football.

I really think Kuhn would have been pretty good if we had given him a chance in the regular season. I liked him myself.

The Duke
06-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I really think Kuhn would have been pretty good if we had given him a chance in the regular season. I liked him myself.

problem is, he was just too good to play for us, it wouldn't have been fair :chuckle:

now he's the greatest legend in green bay sports :helmet:

BlastFurnace
06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
problem is, he was just too good to play for us, it wouldn't have been fair :chuckle:

now he's the greatest legend in green bay sports :helmet:

If we don't watch it, there will be Chuck Norris comments with Kuhn's name inserted in them.

This might just turn into a John Kuhn thread.

The Duke
06-17-2008, 10:55 PM
If we don't watch it, there will be Chuck Norris comments with Kuhn's name inserted in them.

umm....

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=395217&postcount=71

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=395226&postcount=74

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=395269&postcount=76

:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
06-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Tee Martin was a college standout. He did what Peyton couldn't do (beat Florida & won the title game) and was never given an appropriate chance to shine in the NFL. Crying shame

What ever happened to Tee is he even around anymore.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Tee Martin Retired, open a camp to be a QB coach.

Willie Reid, I really liked the kid coming out of college as a return man, but I didn't realize the fool couldn't hold onto the effing ball.

ChronoCross
06-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Any one remember Fred Gibson from a few years back who we drafted. Was catching nice passes and laying hits out like Ward on defenders in pre season but yet still got cut. He now has since went on from team to team to team yet to start in 1 nfl game.

rich4eagle
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Some of the one's I remember:

Zamir Cobb - on a couple message boards that I am a member of, people were penciling him as the #3 receiver with his great hands, speed, etc. There were debates and numerous threads about this guy. He had a couple of nice preseason games and got hurt. Tried to come back the next year and was cut. But, I remember the heated debates that were about this guy.

Donte Brown - a RB that had some really nice long runs in preseason several years ago. For 2 years, he made us think he was the the "Willie Parker" before there ever was a Willie Parker. Ended up being signed by the Bills and never made it very far.

Jason Capizzi - I know he is still around, but one more decent preseason and he could enter into this status.

Bob Ferguson:tt:

Elvis
06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Recently: FB Jon Kuhn
Past: RB Gordie Lockbaum ( Holy Cross ) a great two way player back in the 80's I guess
:coffee:

19ward86
06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Walter Young.

MDSteel15
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
QB Jim Miller.....

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I watched Troy Edwards destroy Nebraska in college and I though Jerry Rice II was coming that year.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM

They were still gaga over Kordell at that time and he sorta got the shaft.

KeiselPower99
06-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Jim Miller started 1 game and got the shaft for Tomczak. I still believe Miller was a better qb

BlastFurnace
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Jim Miller started 1 game and got the shaft for Tomczak. I still believe Miller was a better qb

I don't know how good Miller would have been in our system, but I do believe that he deserved more of a chance than he got. Cowher liked T-Zak for some reason that only he knows. I remember feeling completely deflated when the Steelers re-signed him after the 1996 season.