PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore: Hypocrite

stillers4me
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Energy Guzzled by Al Gore’s Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month
Gore’s personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite “energy-efficient” home renovations

NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President’s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

“A man’s commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,” said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. “Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.”

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature. The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore’s Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore’s massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home’s windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the “green” overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month –1,638 kWh more energy per month than before the renovations – at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration.

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

“Actions speak louder than words, and Gore’s actions prove that he views climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,” Johnson said. “Gore is exploiting the public’s concern about the environment to line his pockets and enhance his profile.”

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a Nashville-based free market think tank and watchdog organization, obtained information about Gore’s home energy use through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through the ideas of liberty. Visit TCPR online at: www.tennesseepolicy.org.

http://tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=764

fansince'76
06-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds like someone's growing a huge indoor garden. :smoker:

tony hipchest
06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President’s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

]

:yawn: so.

and in the last year the price of gas and heating oil has surged 75%.

anyone keeping tabs on the white houses energy bill? how efficient is it to consume energy there and at the ranch in waco? maybe gore is just home 10% more of the time.

Preacher
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
:yawn: so.

and in the last year the price of gas and heating oil has surged 75%.

anyone keeping tabs on the white houses energy bill? how efficient is it to consume energy there and at the ranch in waco? maybe gore is just home 10% more of the time.

I think the point is...

If he really is that much of a GW Beleiver...

Shouldn't he take more actions to stop it... like reduce use? Buy a smaller house? etc.

After all... if driving SUV's is such a danger to the world... how living in a gigantic mansion?

GBMelBlount
06-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Didn't the current congressional majority run on the "we will find a solution to the $2.50 / gallon gas problem" platform?

Preacher
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Didn't the current congressional majority run on the "we will find a solution to the $2.50 / gallon gas problem" platform?

LOL...

and to think, 2.50 a gallon is actually what we were paying in the .70's, adjusted for inflation.

tony hipchest
06-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the point is...

If he really is that much of a GW Beleiver...

Shouldn't he take more actions to stop it... like reduce use? Buy a smaller house? etc.

After all... if driving SUV's is such a danger to the world... how living in a gigantic mansion?i bet if he starves himself he can end world hunger....

but i guess he is just a hypocrit efor puttin on a few pounds. :yawn:

Preacher
06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
i bet if he starves himself he can end world hunger....

but i guess he is just a hypocrit efor puttin on a few pounds. :yawn:

Come on Tony...

There's a difference between that and living in a mansion sucking down energy while preaching global warming.

Don't make me whip out the gly fat naked preacher man sitting at a computer table picture at you!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Energy Guzzled by Al Gore’s Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month
Gore’s personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite “energy-efficient” home renovations

“A man’s commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,” said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. “Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.”

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature. The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore’s Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore’s massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home’s windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the “green” overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month –1,638 kWh more energy per month than before the renovations – at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration.

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

“Actions speak louder than words, and Gore’s actions prove that he views climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,” Johnson said. “Gore is exploiting the public’s concern about the environment to line his pockets and enhance his profile.”

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a Nashville-based free market think tank and watchdog organization, obtained information about Gore’s home energy use through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through the ideas of liberty. Visit TCPR online at: www.tennesseepolicy.org.

http://tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=764

again..not true...do the research..... it is sad that actual facts are out there and people choose to listen to BS.....

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Their solution was attempt to double the price of gasoline. One more reason why the Democrats running congress has driven ratings down to

18%

tony hipchest
06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Come on Tony...

There's a difference between that and living in a mansion sucking down energy while preaching global warming.

Don't make me whip out the gly fat naked preacher man sitting at a computer table picture at you!!!so i guess an avid gun collector has no right to take a stand against street violence and gangs? a high priced car collector shouldnt take a stand against speeding. someone who enjoys a $100 bottle of wine cant say anything about drunken drivers?

i dont see why he should give away all his earnings and live in a trailor home to prove his point though.

i guess he will ultimately be judged when his time comes for the stand he takes.

in the meantime, lets wait for 20 years, when the rainforests that supply us our oxygen are gone and weve gotta feed the 12,000,000,000 people who populate the earth. (biologically speaking, human population is on a shocking exponential growth chart)

maybe then, we will appreciate those who took a stand, regardless of what vehicle they drove, or if they left the lights on at night.

oh, and while were at it, we might as well go back to dumping all of our toxic waste into our potable water supplies and polluting our rivers, lakes, streams, and oceans...

and damn al gore for inventing the myth of acid rain!

Preacher
06-17-2008, 11:53 PM
so i guess an avid gun collector has no right to take a stand against street violence and gangs? a high priced car collector shouldnt take a stand against speeding. someone who enjoys a $100 bottle of wine cant say anything about drunken drivers?

i dont see why he should give away all his earnings and live in a trailor home to prove his point though.

i guess he will ultimately be judged when his time comes for the stand he takes.

in the meantime, lets wait for 20 years, when the rainforests that supply us our oxygen are gone and weve gotta feed the 12,000,000,000 people who populate the earth. (biologically speaking, human population is on a shocking exponential growth chart)

maybe then, we will appreciate those who took a stand, regardless of what vehicle they drove, or if they left the lights on at night.

oh, and while were at it, we might as well go back to dumping all of our toxic waste into our potable water supplies and polluting our rivers, lakes, streams, and oceans...

and damn al gore for inventing the myth of acid rain!

Tony...

When Al Gore claims that the climate is being destroyed, he is HIMSELF contributing to the destruction of the climate by using enough power to run what was the number... 20 homes (20 times the average consumption). That number comes from teh power company, which means it is the power he is taking from the power company, not from his own power-producing changes.

That means he is actually actually putting out 20 times the amount of carbon then the normal household in Tennessee, yet he is telling everyone that those very actions is destroying the world. THAT is what I have a big problem with.

I actually have no problem with finding alternative fuels. I think we oughta go a number of different ways.

I have no problem with people using free speech to share what they feel.

I have a big problem with someone saying that product A is horrible and destructive, and then using it 20 times more than the average person.

And I know.. he buys "Carbon Credits." Wouldn't it even better to not use all that power, and STILL buy the carbon credits?

I am sorry tony, but he is a hypocrite.

As for you being a gun collector.. it has no bearing on you taking a stand against street crime.

now, if you were illegally selling weapons to people, then you would have no right to say anything.

A high price car collector with Lamborghini's can say all he wants... but when he does 180 down the interstate, THEN he becomes a hypocrite.

When Gore preaches global warming, then buys a house that guzzles power, and then the next year it INCREASES to 20 times the normal amount, he becomes a hypocrite.

To be honest, I never really criticized him about the home until now. Why? Because I thought that he would buy the big home and make it very energy efficient, thereby giving himself a very nice home AND using less energy. However, now that the numbers have shown that is NOT what is happening.. I criticized him.

It is the same as actor/environmentalists that yell and scream about the environment, then get on a private plane and fly across the country for a weekend.

BTW... I warned you tony...

Don't make me whip out the ugly fat naked preacher man sitting at a computer table picture at you!!!

Now here it comes......

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/500/medium/fat_man_at_computer.jpg

Tony... Tony.. Is that you? Oh tony? It is fat naked preacher man...

TroysBadDawg
06-18-2008, 12:04 AM
LMAO

And BTW The ranch is energy efficient and it was done before he became Governor and President. Check it out.

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 12:08 AM
preacher, you are forgetting 1 critical point.

the average person in tennessee lives in a 250 square foot shack.

of course a rich persons mansion consumes more energy.

i guess that just negates gores point, right?

so go buy your suv's and continue polluting the earth. its ok! gore is a hypocrite!

fansince'76
06-18-2008, 12:20 AM

Does that go for the rest of the country as well?

No, but then he's not really the most credible person to be making that point to begin with, especially when he pulls in a cool $100 mil while making it.

so go buy your suv's and continue polluting the earth. its ok! gore is a hypocrite!

About the only folks left that can afford the gas consumption a SUV represents are folks in Gore's income bracket, not a middle-classer like me.

X-Terminator
06-18-2008, 12:53 AM

Well then wouldn't it make sense for Gore to do what he tells everyone else to do, and move into a smaller house that uses less energy? It's called PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH. If the rest of us have to sacrifice in order to save the environment, then he should too. He should NOT get a free pass because he's rich or because of who he is or because he gets "carbon credits." We don't live in an aristocracy.

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 01:39 AM
this article/propoganda is nothing new (old rehashed bs) and only reared itself again, in light of gores recent support of oboma.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16348&highlight=Gore+home

i still agree with LITP and Mosca's post #2 and #4 on the matter. (although litp's poor reading comprehension skills still prevented him from differentiating the White House from the president's personal property owned in TX :chuckle:)

i dont care if gore is a hypcrite or not, as long as his message is true.

i dont care if the post man goes postal on his co-workers tomorrow, if the mail he delivers today is true.

and to use a religious analogy, i dont care if Peter was a hypocrite 3 times, i still believe his message to be true. *awaits obligitory "how could you compare gore to a deciple" remark*

anyways, propoganda articles such as this have a specific political parties welfare a year from now, more in mind, than our species well being in a 100 years.

biological science trumps party affiliation. and a single country cannot conquer "mother nature", or God, or whatever it is one may believe.

hate to get all cliche, but the "killing the messenger" mentality prevents us from "seeing the forest, through the trees".

Preacher
06-18-2008, 01:53 AM
this article/propoganda is nothing new (old rehashed bs) and only reared itself again, in light of gores recent support of oboma.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16348&highlight=Gore+home

i still agree with LITP and Mosca's post #2 and #4 on the matter. (although litp's poor reading comprehension skills still prevented him from differentiating the White House from the president's personal property owned in TX :chuckle:)

i dont care if gore is a hypcrite or not, as long as his message is true.

i dont care if the post man goes postal on his co-workers tomorrow, if the mail he delivers today is true.

and to use a religious analogy, i dont care if Peter was a hypocrite 3 times, i still believe his message to be true. *awaits obligitory "how could you compare gore to a deciple" remark*

anyways, propoganda articles such as this have a specific political parties welfare a year from now, more in mind, than our species well being in a 100 years.

biological science trumps party affiliation. and a single country cannot conquer "mother nature", or God, or whatever it is one may believe.

hate to get all cliche, but the "killing the messenger" mentality prevents us from "seeing the forest, through the trees".

Actually tony...

my point was the messenger himself and his credibility--

not the issue of global warming, nor the general issue of the enviroment.

It is also the fact that if he says the sky is blue, I still have to outside to see if he is lying to me.

There are three entities in the Dem party that I feel that way about. the Clintons, Gore, and Kerry, which is why I was SO interested in them being defeated the last two times out.

This time, as much as I dislike the liberal talk of Obama, I do not feel that way about him as a person.

It is the same with many I have discussed global warming with. They are genuine and legitimate.

It is Gore himself that I dislike, distrust, and spoke up on this thread... because it fits Gore the politician.

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Actually tony...

my point was the messenger himself and his credibility--

but until we turn off the computer, 2 tv's, 4 lights, in our house, as we microwave and range our food (which we dont even cultivate ourselves) who are we to judge?

shall i fault gore for living the american dream and using lots of (green) energy? after all, it is us americans who voted him into office and now provide him with the lifestyle he leads.

it is the american public who pay to hear what he has to say whether they look at it as gospel or simple entertainment (think modern atheletes or actors who will accept any money the market will bear)

will he be smited for taking what life gives him? time will tell....

Preacher
06-18-2008, 02:27 AM
but until we turn off the computer, 2 tv's, 4 lights, in our house, as we microwave and range our food (which we dont even cultivate ourselves) who are we to judge?

shall i fault gore for living the american dream and using lots of (green) energy? after all, it is us americans who voted him into office and now provide him with the lifestyle he leads.

it is the american public who pay to hear what he has to say whether they look at it as gospel or simple entertainment (think modern atheletes or actors who will accept any money the market will bear)

will he be smited for taking what life gives him? time will tell....

I am not the one out preaching global warming. It is those who preach it that I expect to practice it.

In the same way, I laugh whenever I see an animal rights activist wearing leather shoes.

I have more respect for those who choose to live by what they preach.

Tony, would you respect me if I was preaching hellfire and brimstone messages about the evils of alcohol, and then went out and got drunk because my church members were giving me wine from the vineyards?

That is my problem with Gore. He doesn't practice what he preaches.

In truth, President Bush PRACTICES Gore's message better than Gore does, when you compare their homes (and no, that isn't based on that stupid internet email... A few years ago, there was a BIG writeup about his home in the newspaper.. I think it was here in the bay area (cal.)).

The funny thing is...

If the mass hysteria people went away, I think we would have a much better chance of making many more changes that would positively affect the environment.

I think people are setting their heals, because they feel the wool trying to be pulled over their eyes about some things.

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 02:39 AM
That is my problem with Gore. He doesn't practice what he preaches.

In truth, President Bush PRACTICES Gore's message better than Gore does, when you compare their homes (and no, that isn't based on that stupid internet email... A few years ago, there was a BIG writeup about his home in the newspaper.. I think it was here in the bay area (cal.)).

That's all.so gore spends $750,000 (arbitrary number) to buy/recycle an old mansion, while bush spends millions of inherited oil money to build a new one that can put man on mars with no fossil fuels whatsoever?

what was the cost to haul in all the products to build his state of the art, energy efficient, hacienda? how many illegal aliens aided in the construction?

am i really supposed to applaud him and condemn gore?

i dont think so.

again, i really think this article is 2 year old propoganda meant to imply that since gore is a hypocrite, the rest of the world are now off the hook for any conservation/enviornmental issues.

fansince'76
06-18-2008, 06:17 AM
IThe funny thing is...

If the mass hysteria people went away, I think we would have a much better chance of making many more changes that would positively affect the environment.

I think people are setting their heals, because they feel the wool trying to be pulled over their eyes about some things.

Bingo. I think the following passage speaks volumes. Bear in mind that this was a ruling made by a BRITISH court, not an American one, in a country that has actually ratified Kyoto:

One day before Friday's announcement that he was a co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, a British High Court judge ruled that Gore's global warming film, "An Inconvenient Truth," while "broadly accurate," contained nine significant errors.

The ruling came on a challenge from a UK school official who did not want to show the film to students. High Court Judge Michael Burton said that the film is "substantially founded upon scientific research and fact" but that the errors were made in "the context of alarmism and exaggeration."

Burton found that screening the film in British secondary schools violated laws barring the promotion of partisan political views in the classroom. But he allowed the film to be shown on the condition that it is accompanied by guidance notes to balance Gore's "one-sided" views, saying that the film's "apocalyptic vision" was not an impartial analysis of climate change.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=3719791&page=1

Are the folks that put out the article cited in the OP regarding Gore's energy use spreading propaganda to push an agenda? Probably. But then, so is Gore.

X-Terminator
06-18-2008, 06:59 AM
so gore spends $750,000 (arbitrary number) to buy/recycle an old mansion, while bush spends millions of inherited oil money to build a new one that can put man on mars with no fossil fuels whatsoever?

what was the cost to haul in all the products to build his state of the art, energy efficient, hacienda? how many illegal aliens aided in the construction?

am i really supposed to applaud him and condemn gore?

i dont think so.

again, i really think this article is 2 year old propoganda meant to imply that since gore is a hypocrite, the rest of the world are now off the hook for any conservation/enviornmental issues.

That's a bit of a leap of faith, isn't it? I don't think calling Gore out for his high energy usage means that we're ignoring the issue, and I don't think it's fair for you to assume that. I think we can all agree that we need to protect the environment and reduce our overall energy usage (though we'd probably differ on how to do that). But it does not mean that Gore should be exempt from criticism just because he is a champion of the cause.

revefsreleets
06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Al Gore is pretty much a kook, and he'll be discredited in the next 10-15 years. But he'll be laughing all the way to the bank...the man is literally drowning in filthy lucre all misbegotten by deception and slight of hand, and the deliberate manipulation of truth and the facts.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
So, because I actually am under my alloted carbon emissions per the EPA, with my very conservative lifestyle of turning off the lights and recycling, instead of having someone pay me for Credits, I've decided, I'm going to set tires on fire again in my back yard. This way, I counter balance my own lack of pollution. Thereby doing the right thing staying even. Anyone opposed?

Didn't think so. Pretty green flames here I come.

stillers4me
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
So, because I actually am under my alloted carbon emissions per the EPA, with my very conservative lifestyle of turning off the lights and recycling, instead of having someone pay me for Credits, I've decided, I'm going to set tires on fire again in my back yard. This way, I counter balance my own lack of pollution. Thereby doing the right thing staying even. Anyone opposed?

Didn't think so. Pretty green flames here I come.

I'm coming over to roast some weenies...... K? :applaudit:

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Sure thing, bring your own buns though, I'm on a low carb diet and don't have any in the house. Oh and I have mustard so no worries.

Preacher
06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
But wait...

doesn't hotdogs and mustard give you gas?

Have to watch the methane releases!! :chuckle:

HometownGal
06-18-2008, 05:31 PM

Don't forget the marshmallows! :thumbsup: You can just use sticks to roast 'em. Oops - that's not environmentally acceptable, is it? My bad. :doh::chuckle:

GBMelBlount
06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Al Gore is pretty much a kook, and he'll be discredited in the next 10-15 years. But he'll be laughing all the way to the bank...the man is literally drowning in filthy lucre all misbegotten by deception and slight of hand, and the deliberate manipulation of truth and the facts.

:stupid: :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
But wait...

doesn't hotdogs and mustard give you gas?

Have to watch the methane releases!! :chuckle:

MMMMM.... i love the smell of mustard gas in the morning. :doh:

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Tony, I love ya man, but you're fighting a losing battle here.

Asking celebrities to live like the rest of us, regardless of what philosophies they talk about in public, is simply wasting time.

I don't expect Bush, Gore, Clinton, or anyone else to give up all the perks of being who they are to move in to a 1200 sq ft home and grow their own veggies or move on to a farm and raise their own animals for meat. Quite frankly, I don't want it to happen.

True revolution begins with the people. It starts as an idea among common folk and grows until someone with some power stumbles on it and starts running with it like it was their own. Changes in our lifestyles that make the planet better won't start with John McCain, Al Gore, or Ralph Nader. They'll begin with us.

Preacher
06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
MMMMM.... i love the smell of mustard gas in the morning. :doh:

Especially when you pull the sheets up over the little lady!! :rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
True enough, it takes the masses to make the changes, not the "leaders".

However, if we can force a place like Walmart to start selling Hydrogen at all its Murphy locations as an option for fuel, and also, maybe put Solar Panels on every single one of their roofs and (they are doing this now here on a trial basis) put windmills in the parking lot to power the lights at night outside, that is also a good change. Free Market has its place for change as well, as long as the masses demand it, the free market will provide.

As for the high and mighty, they all put their pants on the same way, by holding them up at the edge of the bed and jumping into them with two feet...or is that just me?

Preacher
06-18-2008, 06:03 PM
True enough, it takes the masses to make the changes, not the "leaders".

However, if we can force a place like Walmart to start selling Hydrogen at all its Murphy locations as an option for fuel, and also, maybe put Solar Panels on every single one of their roofs and (they are doing this now here on a trial basis) put windmills in the parking lot to power the lights at night outside, that is also a good change. Free Market has its place for change as well, as long as the masses demand it, the free market will provide.

As for the high and mighty, they all put their pants on the same way, by holding them up at the edge of the bed and jumping into them with two feet...or is that just me?

The problem with the solar panels is the cost.

I looked at putting them on the room of our church building... and it would have cost us over 100,000 dollars. We have nowhere CLOSE to that kind of money. Heck, we are struggling to pay bills.

This is where I become a capitalist... offer 10 years of NO TAX to all companies making solar panels. Make the city construction license a rubber stamp-- for FREE, or a minimal cost (unlike now), and watch the solar panel industry take off.

Right now, it can't and won't happen, because they just cost way too much money.

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Tony, I love ya man, but you're fighting a losing battle here.

Asking celebrities to live like the rest of us, regardless of what philosophies they talk about in public, is simply wasting time.

I don't expect Bush, Gore, Clinton, or anyone else to give up all the perks of being who they are to move in to a 1200 sq ft home and grow their own veggies or move on to a farm and raise their own animals for meat. Quite frankly, I don't want it to happen.

True revolution begins with the people. It starts as an idea among common folk and grows until someone with some power stumbles on it and starts running with it like it was their own. Changes in our lifestyles that make the planet better won't start with John McCain, Al Gore, or Ralph Nader. They'll begin with us.totally agree. which is why i dont care if gore is a hypocrite, or how much energy he consumes. i can understand people wanting to "kill the messenger". but i think many wanna squash the message too (which would be a shame for us as a whole).

all politics aside, and scientifically speaking, "mother earth" can only take so much. we have always enjoyed a symbiotic relationship, but it is becomming parasitic. as a species with all our advancements in science and technology, id like to think were smarter than that.

revefsreleets
06-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Speaking of, I see Honda has a hydrogen fuel cell car available now that they are letting a few celebs test out. Zero emissions. Al Gore aside, I think it's a wonderful idea and I hope that it not only proves to be workable and reliable, but something that can be relatively cheaply mass-produced in the very near future.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Especially when you pull the sheets up over the little lady!! :rofl:

And that little lady suddenly has a cramp in her leg, causing it to flail around uncontrollably and accidentally end up in your groin. :flap::mallet:

davidgrenier
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I heard Isaac Newton was kind of a dick, which is how I know there is no gravity.

Also, John Hanprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter was a rich, raging elitist asshole. This is why we're still part of England today.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I think Al Gore and his ego just will not preent him from exiting the spotlight quielty.

He's found a cause to jump on, the people are happy to have him because of the value and credibility his face lends to the cause.

Unfortunately, the right is using thier personal feelings towards him (not entirely unfounded, as far away from the right as I am... I'll give them that) to paint a positive movement with one brush and basically try to make it a laughing stock.

I hope I can come back as an apparition in 100 years and laugh at all the people who do not believe we are killing this planet.

davidgrenier
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Huh, apparently the first guy to sign the declaration of independence triggers the profanity filter.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I heard Isaac Newton was kind of a dick, which is how I know there is no gravity.

Also, John Hanprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter was a rich, raging elitist asshole. This is why we're still part of England today.

That is such a blatantly false portrayal of my argument that it is not only ridiculous, but borders on insulting.

Please look at the title of the thread. To assume anything outside the title of the thread for what I am arguing is building strawman arguments because you can not deny that Al Gore is hypocritical in what he is stating.

If you want to discuss global warming, create a seperate thread and discuss global warming. If you want to discuss how a policy wonk makes millions upon millions of dollars pushing a fear driven movie and agenda without living what he is preaching, then discuss that here.

But please, don't confuse the two or insult me by trying to make the switch and disposing of my argument.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
That is such a blatantly false portrayal of my argument that it is not only ridiculous, but borders on insulting.

Please look at the title of the thread. To assume anything outside the title of the thread for what I am arguing is building strawman arguments because you can not deny that Al Gore is hypocritical in what he is stating.

If you want to discuss global warming, create a seperate thread and discuss global warming. If you want to discuss how a policy wonk makes millions upon millions of dollars pushing a fear driven movie and agenda without living what he is preaching, then discuss that here.

But please, don't confuse the two or insult me by trying to make the switch and disposing of my argument.

Fear driven agenda?

You just described 90% of modern American politics.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Fear driven agenda?

You just described 90% of modern American politics.

90%?

I think your estimate is a bit low :wink02:

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 05:47 PM
90%?

I think your estimate is a bit low :wink02:

9/11 changed everything about American politics. It allowed politicos to really take the gloves off and run all kinds of fear driven material.

However, it will be 7 years this September since the attacks happened. We're getting back to normal in politics. We're also seeing the emergence of Generation Y as a valid political force. The best educated and most knowledgable group of Americans to date are going to change the face of American politics.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 05:55 PM
9/11 changed everything about American politics. It allowed politicos to really take the gloves off and run all kinds of fear driven material.

However, it will be 7 years this September since the attacks happened. We're getting back to normal in politics. We're also seeing the emergence of Generation Y as a valid political force. The best educated and most knowledgable group of Americans to date are going to change the face of American politics.

I don't think 9-11 changed anything.

The gloves came off in the mid-90's when James Carville introduced the "same cycle" news approach and Newt Gingrich federalized house elections through the Contract with America.

Those two specific things, in my opinion, is what began this precipitous slide to where we are at today.

And I would not agree that is generation is the best educated. Far from it. They may be the most aware because of the internet. But education, no.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't think 9-11 changed anything.

The gloves came off in the mid-90's when James Carville introduced the "same cycle" news approach and Newt Gingrich federalized house elections through the Contract with America.

Those two specific things, in my opinion, is what began this precipitous slide to where we are at today.

And I would not agree that is generation is the best educated. Far from it. They may be the most aware because of the internet. But education, no.

What generation is the best educated then?

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I refer you to this

Take a Look: This is the 1895 eighth-grade final exam from Salina, Kansas. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smoky Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, Kansas and reprinted by the Salina Journal. http://www.barefootsworld.net/images/bftlinel.gif
SOURCE:
The following document was transcribed from the original document in the collection of the Smoky Valley Genealogy Society, Salina, Kansas (http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/saline). This test is the original eighth-grade final exam for 1895 from Salina, Kansas. An interesting note is the fact that the county students taking this test were allowed to take the test in the 7th grade, and if they did not pass the test at that time, they were allowed to re-take it again in the 8th grade. Also of note, the school year was but 7 months, beginning October 1 and ending April 1. allowing 5 months for planting, farming and harvest.

EXAMINATION GRADUATION QUESTIONS
OF SALINE COUNTY, KANSAS
April 13, 1895
J.W. Armstrong, County Superintendent.
Examinations at Salina, New Cambria, Gypsum City, Assaria, Falun, Bavaria, and District No. 74 (in Glendale Twp.)
Reading and Penmanship. - The Examination will be oral, and the Penmanship of Applicants will be graded from the manuscripts
Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
7-10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $.20 per inch?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865?
Orthography (Time, one hour)
1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology, syllabication?
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of N.A.
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.
Health (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Where are the saliva, gastric juice, and bile secreted? What is the use of each in digestion?
2. How does nutrition reach the circulation?
3. What is the function of the liver? Of the kidneys?
4. How would you stop the flow of blood from an artery in the case of laceration?
5. Give some general directions that you think would be beneficial to preserve the human body in a state of health.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Now look at a modern test...

IWhile the test shows changes in common knowledge, the test itself t is MUCH more pedantic...

[quote]1. Which shows 833,000 written in scientific notation?
8.33x103
8.33x104
8.33x105
8.33x1062. (2/3)4=
8/81
16/81
8/3
16/33. Roberto paid $43.08 for 3 CDs. All 3 CDs were the same price. How much did each CD cost?
$11.36
$14.36
$40.08
$46.084. Dacia made a snack mix using the ingredients listed below.

1 ¼ cups granola ¾ cup peanuts ½ cup raisins ¼ cup chocolate chips What is the total amount of all four ingredients?
1¾ cups
2¼ cups
2½ cups
2¾ cups5. Which of the following is equivalent to 5/2?
5.256. Tasha is buying a CD that is regularly $12.99 and is on sale for ¼ off. Which expression can she use to estimate the discount on the CD?
0.0025 x $13
0.04 x $13
0.25 x $13
0.40 x $137. Which is an irrational number?
√5
√9
-2/38. Which fraction is the same as 3.08?
56/25
77/25
19/5
32/59. A sweater originally cost $37.50. Last week, Moesha bought it at 20% off.
http://www.nctimes.com/test/images/q9.png
How much was deducted from the original price?
$7.50
$17.50
$20.00
$30.0010. Jason bought a jacket on sale for 50% off the original price and another 25% off the discounted price. If the jacket originally cost $88, what was the final price that Jason paid for the jacket?
$22
$33
$44
$667th Grade English-Language Arts Yours Truly
When my mother writes a letter,
she uses her fountain pen and fancy paper
that she keeps in her desk
in a special drawer.
She slips in a photo and
chuckles as she writes about
me, about the weather, about
what she’s doing and hopes to do.
She licks a stamp, writes
carefully on the envelope,
and carries the letter to
the mailbox out by the road,
wondering how many days will pass
before it’s read.
When I write a letter,
I use my computer and fancy modem
that I keep in my room
on my special desk.
I enclose an attachment and
chuckle as I write about
my mom, about the weather, about
what I’m doing and hope to do.
I key in the address and a subject
and press SEND. My computer
buzzes and then—delivery!
It’s there, waiting for someone to
call it up on her screen
and read it now.
11. A theme of this poem is the comparison of
computers and fountain pens.
humerous and serious writings.
mothers and children.
traditional and modern ways.

listed the laws and the corresponding punishments.
explained how government officials were chosen.
established a single currency for use across the empire.
described how to perform formal religious ceremonies.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
12. Based on the poem, the narrator most likely feels that the main advantage of computer-aided letter writing is that the
letter can be written more quickly.
letter can include additional material.
letter can be received more quickly.
letter's content can be more creative.http://www.nctimes.com/test/images/story_image-01.png
The Magic of Harry
Harry Houdini was a man who astonished and enthralled many people during his life. Whether he was escaping from a padlocked box or making things disappear and reappear, he definitely was entertaining. People thought that he must truly have some supernatural powers, but in fact, what Harry really had was drive.
Harry was born in Budapest, Hungary, in 1874. His real name was Ehrich Weiss and he was the third of five children. His family moved to Wisconsin not long after he was born and by the time he was nine, he was tying ropes all over his backyard and learning amazing trapeze tricks to show his friends and neighbors. He visited the local locksmith, and when he had reached his teens he could pick almost any lock that was made. He also learned how to do card tricks. He and his brother, Theo, would often entertain at local parties and clubs for extra money.
When Ehrich was 16, he came across a book that would literally change his life: the biography of France’s greatest magician, Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin. It showed Ehrich that his hobby of magic and tricks could also be a career. Immediately, he changed his name to Harry Houdini. He and Theo headed out to make a living as magicians.
In 1893, they were at the Chicago World’s Fair, and after that they traveled around giving magic shows for anyone willing to listen and pay. Theo grew restless, however, as the jobs became scarce, so he left. His timing was perfect since Harry had just fallen in love with a lovely woman named Bess who was just the right size for slipping in and out of the trunk they used in their magic tricks. They married immediately and then off they went, traveling with circuses and other road shows. Harry learned more and went to Europe.
It was the right move. Harry’s persistence and constant practice were about to pay off. To get people’s attention, he walked into police stations and offered to be handcuffed by all the policemen. They were shocked when he was loose only seconds later. Soon, everyone in Europe was talking about Houdini’s astounding feats. He was in high demand and found himself doing more and more dangerous acts. He escaped from a straitjacket hanging upside down over the street; he escaped from locked boxes of all kinds; and, of course, he got out of any kind of handcuffs put on him.
After several years in Europe, Bess and Harry returned to the United States in triumph. Harry was doing such amazing tricks that people felt he must have special powers. However, few realized how much time he spent practicing and studying. He would do special exercises to keep his body strong, and he would do tricks with his fingers to keep them nimble and flexible. He would spend large amounts of time tying and untying knots—with his toes! For his underwater tricks, he would get in the bathtub and practice holding his breath for longer and longer times. Since many of his tricks involved being plunged into icy water, he would pour buckets of ice in the tub to get accustomed to working in the cold.
The reason that Harry Houdini was such a success was that he practiced and prepared for whatever might happen. When a college student punched him in the abdomen in 1926, however, he wasn’t prepared. The punch did internal damage that not even this magician could get out of. Harry died in 1926 at 52 years of age — a master of his trade and a true legend.

13. Read this sentence from the passage.

Harry Houdini was a man who astonished and enthralled many people during his life.

You can tell from the sentence that enthralled means
apart.
vanished.
convinced.
fascinated.14. Read this sentence from the passage.

Harry's persistence and constant practice were about to pay off.

You can tell from the sentence that persistence means
desperation.
long journey.
refusal to quit.
education.15. Houdini decided to become a magician after
he read a book about a famous magician.
he learned to pick a lock.
he started entertaining at local parties.
he learned to do card tricks.16. The author supports the argument that Houdini was a hard worker by describing
how he prepared.
his famous tricks.
his childhood.
how he became popular.8th Grade History-Social Science 17. Why did Stone Age people practice slash-and-burn agriculture?
to fulfill spiritual beliefs
to make irrigation easier
to drive away wild animals
to clear land for farming18. Which development most enabled early peoples to form permanent settlements?
advances in agricultural production
the creation of democratic government
the spread of monotheism
advances in written language19. Hammurabi's Code of acient Mesopotamian society was important because it

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I think that the current generation has the most information available to it. Problem is, they do not know how or want to use it. They have the best opportunity, but not the best educated.

I'd opt for my parents generation as the best educated.

Education is what you know, not everything out there that you could know.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I think that the current generation has the most information available to it. Problem is, they do not know how or want to use it. They have the best opportunity, but not the best educated.

Yep,

that's about what I am arguing.

In truth, a college education today equals about a highschool education a hundred years ago.

I look at what some of the people who were just completing their doctorates did a few decades ago, and it blows me away. I am still quite a few years from that.

Truly, we are a dumbed-down nation.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 07:41 PM

You're entitled to your opinion.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
You're entitled to your opinion.

Thats why I spoke it.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Thats why I spoke it.

Good for you.

Here's cookie:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/upload/2007/02/spider_cookie.jpg

GBMelBlount
06-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I was wondering if Gore was going to invent a new type of calcuation to justify Global warming. He could call it an "Al-gore-ithm," win a nobel prize for math, and it would soon be in all the math books in our public schools and on "his" internet of course.

revefsreleets
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Silly fools. You can never beat Jeremy in an argument, because as soon as you make a better point then him he'll berate you unmercifully, and then he'll get banned for a month.

And I see we have a new voice on the board. Maybe "new" isn't the right word I was looking for...

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Silly fools. You can never beat Jeremy in an argument, because as soon as you make a better point then him he'll berate you unmercifully, and then he'll get banned for a month.

And I see we have a new voice on the board. Maybe "new" isn't the right word I was looking for...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/Blogger-Sandi/Misc/pot-kettle-black.jpg

revefsreleets
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Still not a single substantive rebuttal to any of the facts and opinions I've put forward. And all the while you're making a bigger and bigger production out of answering me. "You don't care" alright...you seem to not care an awful lot....

revefsreleets
06-19-2008, 10:49 PM
In fact, do you and the new guy have some sort of weird internet stalker crush on me? It's flattering in a sick twisted sense, but I don't roll that way.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
OK guys. Enough is enough. If you want to tear each other to shreds, knock yourselves out, but do it elsewhere. It seems that every freakin' thread that the two of you are involved in is polluted with the same old shit.

Why don't the two of you exchange email addys and put a cyber-whuppin on each other?

It stops and it stops now. If you just can't help yourselves, put each other on ignore.

If I have to address this BS one more time in any thread, the whoopee cushion is coming out.

Please guys - stop cluttering the forums up with redundant nonsense.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Good for you.

Here's cookie:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/upload/2007/02/spider_cookie.jpg

Groovy! Spider Cookie!

Dino 6 Rings
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I still say, looking at all the arguements in this post, and the fights, that Al Gore is still a Hypocrite. Not only for his lack of conserving his own energy usage, but also because he has a carbon credit company that makes money off the global warming issue.

In 100 years, people will still be on the earth unless some Dawn of the Dead or Super Meteor or Nuclear War scenario wipes us out. I don't think a rise in temperature, if its even really happening which the Scientific community does not agree on, is going to kill us off. We adapt as people, its what we do. Its how humans were able to leave the African Continent and migrate to other parts of the world.

People live in Alaska and its freaking cold there a lot. People live in Desserts and that's just hot man, real hot. So as a people, we are capable of adapting and continuing on our life cycle. It'll take something much worse than a raise in the temperature, or even a drop in it, to "wipe us out".

Alien invasion could do it though, or maybe a Captain Trips style bug ala The Stand by Stephen King.

But warmer temperature? or colder temperature. I don't see it.

So don't raise my fcking taxes, don't make me pay more for stuff, just because some people think that Global warming is a crisis. It ain't my crisis. Its the fcking Chinese, Indians, Africans that have ZERO standards. South Americans don't have the type of waste disposal we do. We in the US have the highest eco-standards, the highest waste management standards on the planet. Don't tax me with your Keoto crap that makes China not responsible. Why do I have to lead the way, its real easy people, its been said since I was a kid. Ready for it.

Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute.

and

Only you can prevent Forest Fires.

I don't need Al Gore telling me shiiiiiit. Fck him, and screw that entire movement. Go plant a tree, smoke a bowl and feel good about yourself.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I refer you to this

Unbelievable...and I love how each section was not only graded on content, but also on penmanship.

fansince'76
06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
In 100 years, people will still be on the earth unless some Dawn of the Dead or Super Meteor or Nuclear War scenario wipes us out. I don't think a rise in temperature, if its even really happening...

Which it isn't, at least not in any way differently than it ALWAYS has.

Leading scientists, including some senior IPCC representatives, acknowledge that today's computer models cannot predict climate. Consistent with this, and despite computer projections of temperature rises, there has been no net global warming since 1998. That the current temperature plateau follows a late 20th-century period of warming is consistent with the continuation today of natural multi-decadal or millennial climate cycling....In stark contrast to the often repeated assertion that the science of climate change is "settled," significant new peer-reviewed research has cast even more doubt on the hypothesis of dangerous human-caused global warming....The current UN focus on "fighting climate change," as illustrated in the Nov. 27 UN Development Programme's Human Development Report, is distracting governments from adapting to the threat of inevitable natural climate changes, whatever forms they may take.

Open Letter to the Secretary-General of the United Nations (http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/reprint/open_letter_to_un.html)

But I guess I'll simply have to accept Gore's assertion that we'll all be under water by 2100 over the following "crackpots" that were signatories to the letter the above excerpt was taken from:

The following are signatories to the Dec. 13th letter to the Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations on the UN Climate conference in Bali:

Don Aitkin, PhD, Professor, social scientist, retired vice-chancellor and president, University of Canberra, Australia

William J.R. Alexander, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Civil and Biosystems Engineering, University of Pretoria, South Africa; Member, UN Scientific and Technical Committee on Natural Disasters, 1994-2000

Bjarne Andresen, PhD, physicist, Professor, The Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark

Geoff L. Austin, PhD, FNZIP, FRSNZ, Professor, Dept. of Physics, University of Auckland, New Zealand

Timothy F. Ball, PhD, environmental consultant, former climatology professor, University of Winnipeg

Ernst-Georg Beck, Dipl. Biol., Biologist, Merian-Schule Freiburg, Germany

Sonja A. Boehmer-Christiansen, PhD, Reader, Dept. of Geography, Hull University, U.K.; Editor, Energy & Environment journal

Chris C. Borel, PhD, remote sensing scientist, U.S.

Reid A. Bryson, PhD, DSc, DEngr, UNE P. Global 500 Laureate; Senior Scientist, Center for Climatic Research; Emeritus Professor of Meteorology, of Geography, and of Environmental Studies, University of Wisconsin

Dan Carruthers, M.Sc., wildlife biology consultant specializing in animal ecology in Arctic and Subarctic regions, Alberta

R.M. Carter, PhD, Professor, Marine Geophysical Laboratory, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia

Ian D. Clark, PhD, Professor, isotope hydrogeology and paleoclimatology, Dept. of Earth Sciences, University of Ottawa

Richard S. Courtney, PhD, climate and atmospheric science consultant, IPCC expert reviewer, U.K.

Willem de Lange, PhD, Dept. of Earth and Ocean Sciences, School of Science and Engineering, Waikato University, New Zealand

David Deming, PhD (Geophysics), Associate Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Oklahoma

Freeman J. Dyson, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Physics, Institute for Advanced Studies, Princeton, N.J.

Don J. Easterbrook, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Geology, Western Washington University

Lance Endersbee, Emeritus Professor, former dean of Engineering and Pro-Vice Chancellor of Monasy University, Australia

Hans Erren, Doctorandus, geophysicist and climate specialist, Sittard, The Netherlands

Robert H. Essenhigh, PhD, E.G. Bailey Professor of Energy Conversion, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University

Christopher Essex, PhD, Professor of Applied Mathematics and Associate Director of the Program in Theoretical Physics, University of Western Ontario

David Evans, PhD, mathematician, carbon accountant, computer and electrical engineer and head of 'Science Speak,' Australia

William Evans, PhD, editor, American Midland Naturalist; Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame

Stewart Franks, PhD, Professor, Hydroclimatologist, University of Newcastle, Australia

R. W. Gauldie, PhD, Research Professor, Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology, School of Ocean Earth Sciences and Technology, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Lee C. Gerhard, PhD, Senior Scientist Emeritus, University of Kansas; former director and state geologist, Kansas Geological Survey

Gerhard Gerlich, Professor for Mathematical and Theoretical Physics, Institut für Mathematische Physik der TU Braunschweig, Germany

Albrecht Glatzle, PhD, sc.agr., Agro-Biologist and Gerente ejecutivo, INTTAS, Paraguay

Fred Goldberg, PhD, Adjunct Professor, Royal Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Stockholm, Sweden

Vincent Gray, PhD, expert reviewer for the IPCC and author of The Greenhouse Delusion: A Critique of 'Climate Change 2001, Wellington, New Zealand

William M. Gray, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University and Head of the Tropical Meteorology Project

Howard Hayden, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of Connecticut

Louis Hissink MSc, M.A.I.G., editor, AIG News, and consulting geologist, Perth, Western Australia

Craig D. Idso, PhD, Chairman, Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, Arizona

Sherwood B. Idso, PhD, President, Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, AZ, USA

Andrei Illarionov, PhD, Senior Fellow, Center for Global Liberty and Prosperity; founder and director of the Institute of Economic Analysis

Zbigniew Jaworowski, PhD, physicist, Chairman - Scientific Council of Central Laboratory for Radiological Protection, Warsaw, Poland

Jon Jenkins, PhD, MD, computer modelling - virology, NSW, Australia

Wibjorn Karlen, PhD, Emeritus Professor, Dept. of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology, Stockholm University, Sweden

Olavi Kärner, Ph.D., Research Associate, Dept. of Atmospheric Physics, Institute of Astrophysics and Atmospheric Physics, Toravere, Estonia

Joel M. Kauffman, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Chemistry, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

David Kear, PhD, FRSNZ, CMG, geologist, former Director-General of NZ Dept. of Scientific & Industrial Research, New Zealand

Madhav Khandekar, PhD, former research scientist, Environment Canada; editor, Climate Research (2003-05); editorial board member, Natural Hazards; IPCC expert reviewer 2007

William Kininmonth M.Sc., M.Admin., former head of Australia's National Climate Centre and a consultant to the World Meteorological organization's Commission for Climatology Jan J.H. Kop, MSc Ceng FICE (Civil Engineer Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers), Emeritus Prof. of Public Health Engineering, Technical University Delft, The Netherlands

Prof. R.W.J. Kouffeld, Emeritus Professor, Energy Conversion, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands

Salomon Kroonenberg, PhD, Professor, Dept. of Geotechnology, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands

Hans H.J. Labohm, PhD, economist, former advisor to the executive board, Clingendael Institute (The Netherlands Institute of International Relations), The Netherlands

The Rt. Hon. Lord Lawson of Blaby, economist; Chairman of the Central Europe Trust; former Chancellor of the Exchequer, U.K.

Douglas Leahey, PhD, meteorologist and air-quality consultant, Calgary

David R. Legates, PhD, Director, Center for Climatic Research, University of Delaware

Marcel Leroux, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Climatology, University of Lyon, France; former director of Laboratory of Climatology, Risks and Environment, CNRS

Bryan Leyland, International Climate Science Coalition, consultant and power engineer, Auckland, New Zealand

William Lindqvist, PhD, independent consulting geologist, Calif.

Richard S. Lindzen, PhD, Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Dept. of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

A.J. Tom van Loon, PhD, Professor of Geology (Quaternary Geology), Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland; former President of the European Association of Science Editors

Anthony R. Lupo, PhD, Associate Professor of Atmospheric Science, Dept. of Soil, Environmental, and Atmospheric Science, University of Missouri-Columbia

Richard Mackey, PhD, Statistician, Australia

Horst Malberg, PhD, Professor for Meteorology and Climatology, Institut für Meteorologie, Berlin, Germany

John Maunder, PhD, Climatologist, former President of the Commission for Climatology of the World Meteorological Organization (89-97), New Zealand

Alister McFarquhar, PhD, international economy, Downing College, Cambridge, U.K.

....and 40 others with similar credentials that wouldn't fit in this post. But whatever, we're doomed - Al Gore says so. :coffee:

tony hipchest
06-21-2008, 05:10 PM
But I guess I'll simply have to accept Gore's assertion that we'll all be under water by 2100 over the following "crackpots" that were signatories to the letter the above excerpt was taken from:

....and 40 others with similar credentials that wouldn't fit in this post. But whatever, we're doomed - Al Gore says so. :coffee:

wow. you couldnt squeeze in Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr and his beautiful bride in a jar Anne Uumellmahaye?

:sofunny:

fansince'76
06-21-2008, 05:50 PM
wow. you couldnt squeeze in Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr and his beautiful bride in a jar Anne Uumellmahaye?

Remind me where Mr. Gore got his doctorate in environmental/climatological science from again?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-21-2008, 06:23 PM

I happen to know that Dr. Spencer Wells is not only a sceptic of global warming...but happens to be the one dentist out of ten who thinks that chewing dentyne in between meals does NOT prevent tooth decay.

millwalldavey
06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
They're not doctors... but they play them on TV.