PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Rival Outside the AFC North?

warddj86
06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
I think it was the Raiders in the 70's, Cowboys in the 70's and 90's, Pats for 2001-2005, but now i think it is starting to become the Jaguars for this part of the 2000's, what do you think?

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
For the older fans it is the Cowboys or Raiders...Especially the ones that grew up in the 70s...I wasn't alive for those years....born in 79.....

But I would go with the Pats or the Jags.......Pats beat us in two AFC title games and really Brady has had a ton of success against us......Which totally ticks me off.

As for the Jags...The rivalry started with their days in the old AFC Central...They always have played the Steelers tough.....The Steelers have historically struggled in Jax. as well.....The Steelers currently have a four game losing streak to the Jags...Which adds to the rivalry.......Plus we play again this year...

Edman
06-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Right now it's the Pats and Jags. They have our number.

Pats for reasons already mentioned.

Jaguars because they always seem to find a way to beat us. Jacksonville has been a thorn for years. Wether it's Maddox playing the worst game of his life and handing them the game in '05, last year's close loss, or Fred Taylor, they just win. Why can't we beat them, I don't know.

Steelers play both teams again this year. We have to beat them.

tony hipchest
06-18-2008, 02:45 AM
weve met the cowboys 3 times in the superbowl and are both tied for the most sb wins.

'nuff said.

jjpro11
06-18-2008, 02:49 AM
jags games are always great.. one of the best throwback matchups of this era if you ask me. i watch every game on tv in the nfl, and i really cannot find any other games that matches the physicalness of jags-steelers.

SteelersMongol
06-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Yep. Definitely the Jaguars.

As for the Patriots, I used 2 feel the same way until that whole cheating thing surfaced. Which means they didn't beat us fair & square.

Galax Steeler
06-18-2008, 03:36 AM
I would have to say jags also especially after the playoff game last year.

Steel Pit
06-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Have to agree, the Jaguars. If we played Tennessee more often then they would run a close 2nd. I hate Jeff Fisher and the Titans/Oilers, we've had some pretty good battles with them as well.

k7brown
06-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I'd say its the Jaguars as well. They've had our number as of late, and its always a batter when we play them.

Steeler in Carolina
06-18-2008, 07:06 AM
It seems that we play the Jags every year. Also, their team is built just like ours.

The_WARDen
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
How many "rivals" can you have? Outside of say 1 or 2 then doesn't that detract from the uniqueness of a "rival"??

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
How many "rivals" can you have? Outside of say 1 or 2 then doesn't that detract from the uniqueness of a "rival"??

I'd disagree... you have 3 divisional rivals to start. Not to mention ones from the past... (Raiders, Cowgirls, etc...)

I'd go with the Jags.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 11:04 AM
NFC, our Rival is definitely the Cowboys. If not for us, they'd have 7 SB titles, if not for them, we'd have 6. Its a great dream SB Matchup. The Battle for 6.

AFC, I would look at who we have played the most in the Playoffs.

Jacksonville. 1 time
Raiders, 6 times
Broncos, 6 times
Patriots 4 times
Colts, 5 times
Miami, 3 times
Jets, 1 time
Bills, 3 times
Titans/Oilers, 4 times
Chargers, 2 times
Cheifs, 1 time
So using that, I'd say Raiders or Broncos

You can go with head to heads all time if you want
Buffalo, 17 games
Broncos, 19 games
Colts, 18 games
Jags, 19 games
Chiefs, 25 games
Dolphins 19 games
Pats, 19 games
Jets 18 games
Raiders 17 games
Titans (former division opponent as Oilers and Titans) 66 games

So then it could be the Cheifs, I remember some classic battles with them when Marty was their coach.

missedgehead
06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I would the Jags and the Pats. Definitely.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
In my opinion, for it to be a rivalry the other fans and teams must hate you as well. Pats and Jags fans don't really hate the Steelers. Broncos fans, after we wooped them in the AFC title game and Raiders fans, for sure, hate us.

That's a rivalry. Take recent emotion and recent losses out of the picture and look at the history of our team and the history of other teams. That's why Cowboy fans really do hate the Steelers, 2-1 against them in the title game. They hate us for that.

Raiders fans hate us, and Broncos fans hate us. That's rivalry.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Pats fans really hate the Colts, its a blast hearing them go on and on about how much they hate the Colts.

Jags don't actually have fans, so I don't count them. Sell out a home game some time then talk to me about being a "real" team.

The_WARDen
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd disagree... you have 3 divisional rivals to start. Not to mention ones from the past... (Raiders, Cowgirls, etc...)

I'd go with the Jags.

my point is that rivalries should be a special thing... like Michigan/Ohio State or Notre Dame/USC... you can't have 6 or 7 of those....

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
my point is that rivalries should be a special thing... like Michigan/Ohio State or Notre Dame/USC... you can't have 6 or 7 of those....

Well, I think the point is, who do you get more fired up about playing...the Houston Texans or the Oakland Raiders...then think about why that is the case.

Would you be more fired up playing Buffalo or Denver?

That's how I see it anyway, and it isn't fair to compare the NFL rivalries to NCAA rivalries. Not when its non AFC north teams that are the topic.

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Ahhh... good point.

While nothing in the NFL matches those examples... I'd say our division foes are all 3 on par with that from an NFL standpoint.

The Raiders and Cowgirls in the 70's were prolly hotter than all of the Cleveland and Cincinatti games combined!

RoethlisBURGHer
06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
In the NFC the only teams I hate are the Cowboys and the Seahawks.

In the AFC, outside of the division I hate the Patriots and Raiders.

Other than those teams, nobody else really bothers me.

The two losses to Jax suck, I hate losing to anyone...but the Jaguars really have never given me a reason to hate them. I get pumped about them because I know it's going to be a good physical football game, normally won by a last minute field goal or touchdown.

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
since it seems most people are saying jax. the nfl network is replaying the jax/steeler game this sunday at 1.. just in case you want to watch it..lol

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
What about the Eagles? I mean interstate Rivalry, the Pirates and Phillies, the Pens and Flyers, why not the Steelers vs Eagles?

Guess we need an Eagles vs Steelers Superbowl for that to build into a rivalry.

Michael Keller
06-18-2008, 01:20 PM
None of the rivalries mentioned have any where near the intensity and competiveness of the Steelers and the Raiders . They were very very good and we were better but we beat each other. It was magic , the very best ever.

I believe the Patriots would say the Colts are their most bitter rivalry outside of their division. Therefore I am going to pick the Jags but lets start kicking their butts .

missedgehead
06-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I hope we can solve the riddle which seems to be the Jags. LOL

ChronoCross
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Patriots clearly is the biggest rival. Reason I say that, because since Brady and Cheater Belicheat came along they have been a thorn in are back in getting thru the playoffs, they have had are number for years now and its just irks me. You look back and tell me which team has stopped us the most in the playoffs when we actually had a team that could win it all and just fell short because of the Patriots.

Jags could be a clear choice to because it seems we almost play them every year and they have had are number over the past few games. If we were not missing players like the big key in Smith to help stop the run we would of takin that playoff game. Even with the refs letting 4 blattent hold calls go by un noticed for the jags setting up that field goal.

I would love also to see Dick take that stupid prevent defense and throw it away. Ben goes down YA we have the led with a min are less he has done it again. Here comes Dick's Prevent to Win defense and we loose again. Prevent allows teams to win.

Since 2004 and Big Bens entry into the League he has more 4 quarter come back wins in the Last 2 mins then any QB in the League since 2004, now if you throw out that stupid prevent defense and play regular defense he would have even more.

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Since 2004 and Big Bens entry into the League he has more 4 quarter come back wins in the Last 2 mins then any QB in the League since 2004, now if you throw out that stupid prevent defense and play regular defense he would have even more.

that is an interesting stat. i didnt know that

Preacher
06-18-2008, 02:58 PM
weve met the cowboys 3 times in the superbowl and are both tied for the most sb wins.

'nuff said.

:thumbsup:

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
What about the Eagles? I mean interstate Rivalry, the Pirates and Phillies, the Pens and Flyers, why not the Steelers vs Eagles?

Guess we need an Eagles vs Steelers Superbowl for that to build into a rivalry.

The Eagles are just sad. I think we should really donate them to the CFL.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Bill B has beaten the Steelers 2 times in the playoffs. It isn't like the Pats have beaten us every single year. Since he's been coach we've played only 2 times in the Playoffs. Tom Brady didn't beat us in 2001, Bledsoe came in after Brady got knocked out and our STs let us down big time in that game.

So they, Tom B and Bill B had one big playoff win against us. Big deal.

I don't consider them a Rival, they are just another team in the AFC to beat, just like the Colts or the Chargers.

Now the Raiders and Broncos. They are more Rivals in the AFC.

Hypocycloid
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Jacksonville is a team cut from our own mold. They built their team with the image of the Steelers in mind, that is why they are so physical. I like playing Jacksonville, but I don't consider them a huge rival, just a good team. They beat us fair and square, and please don't go on whining about it, you'll sound like a Seahawks fan. Steeler fans usually blame their team or coaching for not winning, not refs or the other team. I should know, I live in Seahawks territory. They are a whiny fanbase who just don't have a clue as how to be fans. Give them a losing season or two and they will fall off the wagon.

I like some of the other posts about which teams you get pumped up about playing, and the history. I think those are two of the more important factors. I would also say that another factor is what the team represents. With that I mean the city, organization, philosophy, and players. When I look at it that way, it comes down to New England, Dallas, and Oakland. Pittsburgh is about physical, defensive football, but non-cheating football played by respectable, honorable, players that represents blue-collar, family oriented community. They have an honorable family of owners as well.

Oakland, well has the history wth the Steelers and I admit that the rivalry has diminished but those dorks still will not admit that the Immaculate Reception was the right call despite numerous physics studies and the NBC angle. They have traditionally been physical but love to play dirty although their identity in the last couple of years is in question, but not their fans who are still anarchists.

Dallas, well I hate everything about Dallas. From their fair weather fans, to their ownership, to their city, to their state. Their attitude that everything is greater in Texas which is reflected most in Dallas. They were the pretty boy white collar team in the 70's and more recently the team made up by wife-beaters and drug sniffers. This team is made up of criminals and unlike Pittsburgh who purposely tries to set a good example, Dallas (and Oakland) will go out of their way to gather as many of them as they can. Remember that Pittsburgh was offered the America's Team Moniker in the 70's and the Rooney's turned it down saying that we were Pittsburgh's team. They then went to Dallas who jumped all over it. They forget about that. Any team with the audacity to call themselves America's Team deserves to get the stuffing pounded out of them. They are also always given way to much credit from the media, favored for pollsters, and receive way too much exposure for nothing. One of the best moments of my life was seeing that stadium in which was built for God to look down on them filled with Terrible Towels a few years back. Americas team my ass! Damn Fair weather fans......pisses me off. There are also hotter, better cheerleading squads also.

New England, what is not to hate about them. They whip our ass every time it matters. Remember that time Philly and New England were undefeated and everyone was on their bandwagons and the Steelers beat them. Tickets to the New England game were going from $3,000 to $5,000 a piece, then they beat (cheated) the Steelers in the playoffs. Losing once to Jacksonville in the playoffs doesn't make a rivalry, neither does beating a team, but New England represents the anti-steelers, from their pretty boy arrogant quarterback and their cheating, surly, poorly dressed, lying, criminal of a coach. Their team takes on the latter's identity. A first round pick for a fine and &750,000 in fines.....Bob Craft can pay that with his pocket change and will give Belicheat a $250,000 bonus to pay for his fine....plus how much extra did he earn for those fraudulent super bowl wins.....probably more than $250,000. He would do it again and then arrogantly lie and destroy evidence. New England fans from my experience are now worse than the Dallas fans and Oakland fans. They refuse to believe that their team did anything wrong. They think their teams are so great and powerful yet they only won them by 3 pts or less and a tuck rule! I watched New England fans cheer like they just won a super bowl and get in everyone's face each time they scored a touchdown last year when they were beating some pathetic team by 40 or 50 pts. Steeler fans don't jump out of their chairs and scream like morons when the Steelers score a touchdown with a few minutes to go in the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 27 pts. They also don't go outside bars and punch and kicks other peoples cars when their team loses. They have the most delusional fan base currently. Remember 19-0? They are also going to start laying claim to Title Town, you watch.

I don't know about you, but what happens on the field is only part of the equation; what the organization represents and how it is reflected in the fan base is also important. That is why in descending order I think it is Dallas/New England (I can't make up my mind which I hate the most) and Oakland.

Jacksonville is tough, I give you that. I don't think they lack the class that those other teams never had.

HometownGal
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd have to say the Jags, as well. Even under that sourpuss Coughlin, the Jags always played the Steelers tough (and that hasn't changed since Del Rio took over in 2003). Mark Brunell used to give the Steelers D fits.

The Cryboys and Raiders were huge rivalries in the 70's and early 80's, but I don't feel those rivalries are quite as intense anymore.

The Duke
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
only team outside the north I consider a rival right now is the Texans. that will change after week 1 though, then it's brownie hating time!

LVSteelersfan
06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Jags don't actually have fans, so I don't count them. Sell out a home game some time then talk to me about being a "real" team.

The Jags game will probably sell out for the first time this year. Too bad for them it will be all Steeler fans filling those seats.

:tt::tt02::applaudit::toofunny::rofl::sofunny::sof unny::sofunny::sofunny:

Preacher
06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
The Jags game will probably sell out for the first time this year. Too bad for them it will be all Steeler fans filling those seats.

:tt::tt02::applaudit::toofunny::rofl::sofunny::sof unny::sofunny::sofunny:

I actually thought about going to that game instead of a game in pittsburgh.

rich4eagle
06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Bill B has beaten the Steelers 2 times in the playoffs. It isn't like the Pats have beaten us every single year. Since he's been coach we've played only 2 times in the Playoffs. Tom Brady didn't beat us in 2001, Bledsoe came in after Brady got knocked out and our STs let us down big time in that game.

So they, Tom B and Bill B had one big playoff win against us. Big deal.

I don't consider them a Rival, they are just another team in the AFC to beat, just like the Colts or the Chargers.

Now the Raiders and Broncos. They are more Rivals in the AFC.

Steelers beat Billy B in the playoffs in 1993 or 4

rich4eagle
06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I actually thought about going to that game instead of a game in pittsburgh.

where do you live preacher?:tt03:

my vote was Steelers Raiders through the seventies was some kinda show

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Steelers beat Billy B in the playoffs in 1993 or 4

We beat the Patriots in 97 in the playoffs , Bill B wasn't their Coach then.

Hypocycloid
06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
From the Steeler's website:

Pittsburgh owns a 13-9 all-time record against the New England Patriots, including the postseason...the Steelers are 12-6 in the regular season, including a 3-2 mark in New England...Pittsburgh has not won in New England since a 24-21 overtime victory in 1997...the Steelers snapped the Patriotsí NFL-record 18-game regular-season winning streak in 2004 with a 34-20 victory at Heinz Field on Oct. 31...however, New England has won five of the past six games in the series, including victories in the 2001 and 2004 AFC Championship games, both in Pittsburgh...the Steelers are 9-8 overall against the Patriots at home...Pittsburgh and New England have met four times in the postseason and the Steelers are 1-3 in those games, including a 1-2 record at home...the Steelers defeated the Patriots, 7-6, on Jan. 3, 1998, in the AFC Divisional Playoffs...however, Pittsburgh lost, 24-17, to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game Jan. 27, 2002, and 41-27 in the 2004 AFC Championship Game.

Preacher
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
where do you live preacher?:tt03:

my vote was Steelers Raiders through the seventies was some kinda show

West coast.

If I went to JAX.. we would take few days and go see Mickey.

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
West coast.

If I went to JAX.. we would take few days and go see Mickey.
the only thing Mickey does it takes your money..:chuckle:

Preacher, you never pass up a trip to see your team play at home:wink02:

Hapa
06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
How come Madden has the Steelers listed as rivals with the Titans?

millwalldavey
06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
How come Madden has the Steelers listed as rivals with the Titans?

Gotta be the Oilers thing methinks

billybob
06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I like all of the supposed to be rivals.I think that San Diego is becoming a force to be dealt with. Cleveland used to be our biggest division rival. It was not hard getting pumped up for a Bengles game either,when Sam was thier coach.When the real Browns moved to Baltimore,i think they are the biggest rival now.At least for me they are.I live in Gettysburg,Pa.I pay Pennsyvania taxes,I watch a Pennsylvania station,and yet i am subjected to settle for a Raven game on t.v.That my steel brothers and sisters,makes the ravens our leading rival.:coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
We beat the Patriots in 97 in the playoffs , Bill B wasn't their Coach then.

No, but he was the coach of the Browns the one year he got them to a second round loss to us.

rich4eagle
06-18-2008, 09:23 PM
good take

Davison_K
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I like all of the supposed to be rivals.I think that San Diego is becoming a force to be dealt with. Cleveland used to be our biggest division rival. It was not hard getting pumped up for a Bengles game either,when Sam was thier coach.When the real Browns moved to Baltimore,i think they are the biggest rival now.At least for me they are.I live in Gettysburg,Pa.I pay Pennsyvania taxes,I watch a Pennsylvania station,and yet i am subjected to settle for a Raven game on t.v.That my steel brothers and sisters,makes the ravens our leading rival.:coffee:

I live in Hershey and I have to agree.:banging:

Most screwed up thing I have ever heard of. For me the Ravens are the ultimate in-division rival... I hate them. I seethe every time I think of them... I despise the Ravens with everything thats inside of me haha... I am 19 - as long as I have been watching football the Browns and Bengals have pretty much been awful... Now the Jags and the Titans - I remember some pretty tight games with them... I respect those two teams though... I don't have a deep seeded hatred for them like the Ravens...

I think it depends on where/when you grew up on which teams you really despise... I hate the Pats and the Ravens more than any other teams in the NFL... The two teams disgust me.

Dodt
06-19-2008, 12:26 AM
i would go for the titans and the jags only for the fact that they used to belong to the old afc central.

Steel Pit
06-19-2008, 02:08 AM
i would go for the titans and the jags only for the fact that they used to belong to the old afc central.

I agree with you, I posted the Titans yesterday. I'm suprised that the Titans didn't get more mention. I guess a lot of people have forgotten about the Steve McNair to Frank Wycheck days. Those 2 used to kill us in crucial situations. I'll always consider the Titans to be a fierce rival. :banging:

The_WARDen
06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, I think the point is, who do you get more fired up about playing...the Houston Texans or the Oakland Raiders...then think about why that is the case.

Would you be more fired up playing Buffalo or Denver?

That's how I see it anyway, and it isn't fair to compare the NFL rivalries to NCAA rivalries. Not when its non AFC north teams that are the topic.

I don't get fired up to play either of those teams to be honest...they both stink.

I get fired up when it's a good team regardless of the jersey because I like to see how the Steelers fare.

I was just throwing college out there b/c that was the first thing that popped into my head. Good NFL rivalries are Dallas/Washington, Denver/Oakland, Miami/Jets....

To me, our rivals are the Clowns and Ravens. The Patriots and Jags are a pain but it's just b/c they are good at the moment. I could care less if they weren't playoff teams; whereas I hate the Clowns & Ravens.

Elvis
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I would have to say that our biggest non division rival in my mind would have to be the Dallas Cowboys all-time.. but recently I think in my mind even back a few years ago when the Jaguars were in our division, we were building a rivalry with those guys and it is still going proven by last season's 2 matchups.
:tt02:

19ward86
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Jaguars are probably the biggest rivals of now, games games year in and year out.

davidgrenier
06-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I dunno, I agree with two points others have made:

1. A rivalry needs to be a two-way street. Just cuz we hate the pats doesn't mean they care much about us.2

2. A rivalry needs to be fairly unique. I hate the way sports commentators try to pump every game ever played into a huge rivalry. I mean, I understand why they do it from a marketing standpoint, but it just doesn't work.

I'd also add that a rivalry needs to be long-lasting. Just because there's a certain team we play a lot right now that we have trouble with doesn't make it a rivalry. It needs to go on for decades.

Of course, I was raised with the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, and the Celtics/Lakers rivalry, so I have pretty high standards when it comes to judging this stuff.

I have a hard time really seeing the Browns as our rivals, though the history is there. I think its a somewhat dormant rivalry that will come back when the Browns do better. I think the Raisins are our new big rival, since it works on the whole "old Browns" thing.

Outside that I could see Jax developing as a rivalry but only if its a real two-way thing. I definitely think Oakland and Dallas qualify. The Pats are hated by everyone who isn't a Pats fan, so there's nothing special about that.

lilyoder6
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
all the good rivalrys were back in the day.. u might have a heated match but nothing compared to the good ol rivalries

MDSteel15
06-19-2008, 07:47 PM
I'll have to agree that the Jags and Cheatriots are moving up fast but I can't help but hate the Cowbitches(70s-Now), Gayders(obvious reasons), Indianapolis "My Little Ponies"(Peyton is such a crybaby), Titans(mostly from when they were in our division), and NFC SeaChickens....

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
We don't have a rival outside of the division.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:55 PM
We don't have a rival outside of the division.

Try telling the Raiders and Cowgirls that.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Try telling the Raiders and Cowgirls that.

I work with a lot of Raiders fans and Cowboys fans.

I've yet to hear one of them call Pittsburgh a rival.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I work with a lot of Raiders fans and Cowboys fans.

I've yet to hear one of them call Pittsburgh a rival.

Really?

I live just a few miles from Oakland..

That isn't what I hear...

though they recognize that they aren't holding their end of the bargain up yet.

Try telling one of them that the immaculate reception was legal... and see what happens

MDSteel15
06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Really?

Try telling one of them that the immaculate reception was legal... and see what happens

:rofl: :thumbsup: :tt02:

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Really?

Yeah.....I'm in the military preacher. Maybe you can come up with a reference that's less than 30 years old.

Most of the Raiders fans I know weren't alive for the Immaculate Reception and don't really care about it. They're more pissed about the tuck game than anything else.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah.....I'm in the military preacher. Maybe you can come up with a reference that's less than 30 years old.

Most of the Raiders fans I know weren't alive for the Immaculate Reception and don't really care about it. They're more pissed about the tuck game than anything else.

The whole world isn't under 30 Jeremy.

I think that is the theme of the day

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
The whole world isn't under 30 Jeremy.

I think that is the theme of the day

Or it could be that the whole world isn't over 60.

MDSteel15
06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Or it could be that the whole world isn't over 60.

I'm only 37, and I know a lot of people on each end of the age thing here. True fans of the game know about the rivalries and where it began, no matter how long ago....

Edman
07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Revisiting this topic.

Yeah, the Jaguars are a bit of a rival right now. The past few Jags/Steelers games have been hard fought close games with Jax coming out on top. Oddly enough, I don't hate them among the levels of the Clowns and Ratbirds. In fact, I don't think I hate them at all. They're a good team, but the Steelers are just as good as they are.

Their fanbase disappears until Pittsburgh travels down there, then all of the sudden they show up in droves. We're essentially Jacksonville's model rival.

Vis
07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a hard time hating the Jags just because I like the landing. I still hate the Oilers/Titans

43Hitman
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Revisiting this topic.

Yeah, the Jaguars are a bit of a rival right now. The past few Jags/Steelers games have been hard fought close games with Jax coming out on top. Oddly enough, I don't hate them among the levels of the Clowns and Ratbirds. In fact, I don't think I hate them at all. They're a good team, but the Steelers are just as good as they are.

Their fanbase disappears until Pittsburgh travels down there, then all of the sudden they show up in droves. We're essentially Jacksonville's model rival.

I agree. But man, to be completely honest, I usually get pretty nervous when we play that team. They, in my opinion are as close to a mirror of our own team as it gets. They always find a way to expose us just enough to pull out the close win. To me, that is a rival.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
What about the Cowboys?

3 Super Bowls against those guys, which pretty much epitomized Pro football in the 70's.

NJarhead
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I think it was the Raiders in the 70's, Cowboys in the 70's and 90's, Pats for 2001-2005, but now i think it is starting to become the Jaguars for this part of the 2000's, what do you think?

I think you nailed it, although the Pats are still a big rival. :tt02:

Tankus_Maximus
07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
The Jags are tougher than a $2-steak.

NJarhead
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
The Jags are tougher than a $2-steak.

But, "Hines Ward is tougher than woodpecker lips." - Tunch Ilkin.

Edman
07-09-2008, 03:13 AM
I agree. But man, to be completely honest, I usually get pretty nervous when we play that team. They, in my opinion are as close to a mirror of our own team as it gets. They always find a way to expose us just enough to pull out the close win. To me, that is a rival.

Well hey, it's what comes when you have an opponent that has your number. You don't like facing them much either, but you definately want to beat them. Both games last year could've gone either way.

It's frustrating to lose the way we've have to Jax. But hey, Rivalries have their ebb and flow. Some longer than others. Right now, everything is going Jacksonville's way in terms of bounces. It won't be easy, but we can beat them.

Galax Steeler
07-09-2008, 05:11 AM

Funny :toofunny:

Tankus_Maximus
07-09-2008, 09:34 AM

ugh, just got a visual.....

don't woodpecker's have beaks?

stlrtruck
07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
The Old School in me says the cowgirls

The latest would be the jags and patriots (but now knowing they cheated - it's more the jags at least I know they came by it honestly).